Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I have a lot of complaints about the plot of Mass Effect 3 in general, but if you like the shooting in ME2 and want more of an improved version of it, ME3 is worth playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lance Streetman posted:

Mass Effect 2 also has a really great cast of characters, particularly Mordin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgCMgl0QDXQ

Mordin's also one of the best bits in 3.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Colonel posted:

I have a lot of complaints about the plot of Mass Effect 3 in general, but if you like the shooting in ME2 and want more of an improved version of it, ME3 is worth playing.

For all its poo poo in the story department, there's really nothing that should put anyone off of playing it if they liked the others.

People will be grognardy and talk about the silly Joker/EDI stuff, or that internet people inserted as characters, or the legitimate kinda hamfisted and crappy plotting and characterization occasionally, but its bad is much overweighed by the good.

Just play Citadel after you beat the entire game. It's better that way.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 1, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

ME3 is also fun, and has much improved combat and a lot of little QOL improvements. The saves transfer through the stupid Bioware social network that they force on you, not through steam or whatever. That, or there's an import function ingame, it's not a big deal at all.

If you are going to play through ME2 and if you liked it more than 60%, you really should play ME3. it's fine. And you can space it out so if you play ME2 now you can easily wait for ME3 to go on sale later on.

Lance Streetman posted:

Saves transfer between Steam and Origin. Mass Effect has its own save management program, so it doesn't matter where you got the game from.

ME saves doesn't transfer through any program or whatever. It detects your save in the default save location of the previous game, which is the same (general) location of nearly every other game, My Documents.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What I would suggest is beating the game, then going and watching the videos for the Indoctrination Theory and believe that as absolute fact. It's way better than the story Ubisoft Bioware wrote.

hwordhan posted:

Suddenly the Assassin Creed alien story makes sense.

That'll teach me not to post at 3 in the morning.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 1, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

ME saves doesn't transfer through any program or whatever. It detects your save in the default save location of the previous game, which is the same (general) location of nearly every other game, My Documents.

But achievements track through the BSN. :human being:

:trapcard:

:smuggo:

I don't actually know. idgaf

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

PantsBandit posted:

What I would suggest is beating the game, then going and watching the videos for the Indoctrination Theory and believe that as absolute fact. It's way better than the story Ubisoft wrote.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

hwordhan posted:

That's the only goddamn thing that makes sense in those games.

(Black Flag is pretty amazing, thanks Dementropy)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Kibayasu posted:

When I transfered my save from ME1 to ME2, I had to open a separate program to make it detect my save file. It didn't auto-detect my save when I started the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

For all that's wrong with the ending, the rest of the plot is pretty stupid and bad as well. It does have a few good moments but overall it's not good. The gameplay is at its best in ME3 though, yeah. It's still not amazing but it's good. The gameplay changes they made going into ME2 from 1 were the best things they ever did with the series. It's more worth playing for the solid gameplay than the shoddy story.

It is Origin only though, but if that's a dealbreaker for anyone they're just being silly at this point.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

What I would suggest is beating the game, then going and watching the videos for the Indoctrination Theory and believe that as absolute fact. It's way better than the story Ubisoft wrote.

One big problem with that theory is that it leaves the game without an actual ending.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Doctor Spaceman posted:

One big problem with that theory is that it leaves the game without an actual ending.

Well, it is an ending. Just a really dark, anti-climactic one.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I just downloaded Origin a while ago, and I wanted to get Mass Effect 3 at some point.

Are any of the DLC packs for ME3 worth getting?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I just downloaded Origin a while ago, and I wanted to get Mass Effect 3 at some point.

Are any of the DLC packs for ME3 worth getting?

Citadel is definitely worth getting.
Leviathan set up / explains some of the ending stuff more, but it's debatable whether it improves it.
Omega is a side-story involving characters the writers like more than most fans.

All of the multiplayer DLC is free and essential for MP.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm told that the party on the citadel one is supposed to be quite good, but I was too apathetic over the series by the time they released it, so I can't actually give you a personal recommendation.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Leviathan set up / explains some of the ending stuff more, but it's debatable whether it improves it.
Did Bioware ever change the ending? I recall hearing something about how the ending was altered or extended from when it was first released, but maybe that was regards to the Leviathan DLC.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Did Bioware ever change the ending? I recall hearing something about how the ending was altered or extended from when it was first released, but maybe that was regards to the Leviathan DLC.

It was made worse. Which is really, quite the feat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, there's the Extended Ending DLC that expands a bit on what happens and why, but it doesn't fundamentally change it.

I realised I forgot From Ashes, which has a pretty interesting party member.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watching Gearbox's PAX panel and the enormous cheers for Claptrap and Tiny Tina make me want to RIP, REND, TEAR, AHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Talk about Homeworld you loving assholes.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
How's the single player campaign for Black Ops? I found the Modern Warfare games to be tolerable in a "let's have a few beers and watch a Michael Bay movie" kinda way. Ghosts was a bit too ridiculous, even by Call of Duty standards, and just seemed to be a remake of COD:MW2 anyway. Will I get six hours of reasonably stupid fun out of Black Ops' single player campaign or should I pass? I've absolutely no interest in multiplayer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sonance posted:

How's the single player campaign for Black Ops? I found the Modern Warfare games to be tolerable in a "let's have a few beers and watch a Michael Bay movie" kinda way. Ghosts was a bit too ridiculous, even by Call of Duty standards, and just seemed to be a remake of COD:MW2 anyway. Will I get six hours of reasonably stupid fun out of Black Ops' single player campaign or should I pass? I've absolutely no interest in multiplayer.

Black Ops 1 is hands down the best CoD campaign.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They are rerecording the audio for Homeworld, and redoing the cinematics.

The guy who voiced the Bentusi is dead you loving idiots, what are you doing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm not gonna bother with ME3 though.

Just play it, silly.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My steam client has crashed 3 times so far today. I tried this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638&l=english (since this is the error I'm getting) and, lol, the games I want to play (but not all games) are now gone, and it still crashes. What should I do now? Is it possible if I reinstall steam, it won't recognise the installed games I have (it's a LOT of games, like 1/2tb or so)

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The number of steam games I have seem to be fluctuating, and I don't mean in the "slowly inflating over time" sense either. I had 150 the other day, then 148, now I have 151. Is there an explanation for this or am I just out of my tiny mind?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sharzak posted:

The number of steam games I have seem to be fluctuating, and I don't mean in the "slowly inflating over time" sense either. I had 150 the other day, then 148, now I have 151. Is there an explanation for this or am I just out of my tiny mind?

You had a couple of limited-time demos. There was one or two games that were free to play over the weekend.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Weekend trials will temporarily inflate your game count.

Sometimes owners of a game get a new version (see Company of Heroes/Arkham/other GameSpy and GFWL refugees) added to their library automatically; since the old versions aren't removed this will permanently inflate your game count.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is ridiculously stupid fun, but I've already encountered a couple of really strange bugs like the guy I'm chasing getting stuck in the floor and having to continue chasing anyway, or getting thrown so hard into a tower that it disappears from the game and leaves me stuck lying on top of nothing in mid-air.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Jerusalem posted:

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is ridiculously stupid fun, but I've already encountered a couple of really strange bugs like the guy I'm chasing getting stuck in the floor and having to continue chasing anyway, or getting thrown so hard into a tower that it disappears from the game and leaves me stuck lying on top of nothing in mid-air.

You're having the same problem I was: a lot of cutscene triggers, ESPECIALLY on the first (and I'm told originally, the final) stage expect you to be running at a constant 60FPS. If you have dips or something stutters, bugs like that occur.

It's bullshit coding, plain and simple.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's disappointing :(

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
IF you can clear the prologue stage, you're in the clear for 99% of the game. The dude in the ground/game-killer with the building not appearing are the only things I saw until the final boss, and I'm told they patched the latter one out because he could become literally unkillable.

Which makes the VERY FIRST STAGE still having this issue infuriating.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah drop your quality settings a tiny bit til it all works.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Since I put some cash on Steam, my lovely country is blocking my card's next transaction because using dollars twice in the same day is anti-patriotic or something.

Can anyone help me with the Jumbo bundle over at HB? Looking for the BTA. I'll buy you something equivalent on Steam.
Do you guys have any idea if it's a single key?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran/

Azran fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 1, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Orv posted:

Black Ops 1 is hands down the best CoD campaign.
Agreed if you don't count MW 1 and 2 :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also ME3 owns if you're not a baby. It's on every level a proper sequel to 2 and with Citadel out it has a nice ending too.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Palpek posted:

Also ME3 owns if you're not a baby. It's on every level a proper sequel to 2 and with Citadel out it has a nice ending too.

I had a weird reaction to ME3, I didn't passionately hate it or anything (and I don't think the ending is jaw-droppingly bad), but it effectively killed my appetite for anything Mass Effect ever again. The idea of playing through it again (or picking up the DLC) makes me feel vaguely nauseous.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah drop your quality settings a tiny bit til it all works.

Funnily enough, I used the nvidia experience thing to optimize the game which gave me higher settings, and it ran without any problems this time :shrug:

Unfortunately it also can't make me not terrible at the game, Blade Wolf is beating the poo poo out of me because I just can't seem to time my blocking right, got past the halfway stage with the summons and then just got completely obliterated.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That happens to everyone at first.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Just get better at gaming, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Funnily enough, I used the nvidia experience thing to optimize the game which gave me higher settings, and it ran without any problems this time :shrug:

Unfortunately it also can't make me not terrible at the game, Blade Wolf is beating the poo poo out of me because I just can't seem to time my blocking right, got past the halfway stage with the summons and then just got completely obliterated.

As soon as Blade Wolf does anything aggressive, parry (towards him and attack at the same time). The parrying window is enormous. Don't wait for the last moment before he hits you, you can worry about parry-countering later on.

• Locked thread