Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

moot the hopple posted:

I thought it was a cool way of Lapham subverting expectations. At this point, we're so used to Virginia dealing with creeps, and Paul seems to ticks all the markers for a dirtbag, but in the end there's a perfectly mundane and innocent explanation for everything, which is rarely the case in her turbulent life. The real meat of this issue is seeing the chink develop in Eli and Virginia's relationship, which is still very much in it's honeymoon phase despite some hardships. My biggest worry is that star-crossed lovers rarely work out in Stray Bullets :negative:

Killers is actually my first foray into Stray Bullets, but holy gently caress do I love it. I think I am going to pick up the Uber Alles version of the original series sooner rather than later.

Read the most recent issue of Trees. Stuff kinda happened! Maybe by issue 5 we will have a full blown story on our hands!

Read The Fade Out #1 last night as well. Wasnt as sucked in as I hoped to be. Not bad or anything but I had pretty high hopes.

\/\/\/\/ I also picked up the Magazine version of The Fade Out and man is it a great looking thing.

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Killers is actually my first foray into Stray Bullets, but holy gently caress do I love it. I think I am going to pick up the Uber Alles version of the original series sooner rather than later.

I just finished it the other night, and yeah, make it sooner.

Haven't dipped into Killers yet, but I'm very excited to.

Also, not much to say about the Fade Out other than I really loved it and the "Magazine Edition" is really cool.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yesssss. Lapham's so on loving point with that book. If you end up blowing through all his Stray Bullets stuff you should check out a few of his other projects. Silverfish and Murder Me Dead are pretty goddamn great and Young Liars is a mixture of dream imagery and crime noir, so it's basically a David Lapham book on acid.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Speaking of Lapham the TPB for Juice Squeezers just came out and it's such a fun series. It's basically The Goonies but destroying gigantic bugs that live under a small town.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I went into The Fade Out pretty lukewarm but, man, was I converted fast.

Also, Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland was really, really pretty.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I strongly urge you to pick up the Uber Alles edition. Killers is neat because Lapham was able to come back to his baby in pretty much perfect form except for his art, which I think is now merely serviceable when it used to jaw-dropping gorgeous. You should read the earlier Stray Bullets if only to get a glimpse of his young and hungry days when he lavished his pages with ink. The difference in finishing is huge, the only problem is that you might become disappointed with the relatively flat looking panels in Killers compared to the rich depth and dimension of Lapham's early stuff.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Young Liars was so good, even if I have no idea what the gently caress it was all about at the end. Can anyone explain it?

I really want to get in to Stray Bullets, should I pick up the original stuff first or can I jump straight in to the new stuff without any knowledge?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Grab the original stuff collected in the recently released Uber Alles edition. I got mine from instocktrades for a really reasonable price. It used to be a bear trying to find all of the old El Capitan trades, so people jumping in now are in the best position to start reading Stray Bullets.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, Liz Prince has been doing the indie comics thing for a while now, but she's never really had a full length graphic novel... UNTIL NOW. Tomboy comes out September 2nd, and it's a really wonderful look at a struggle with gender identity in a world where girls like girl things and boys like boy things and that's it.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

moot the hopple posted:

Grab the original stuff collected in the recently released Uber Alles edition. I got mine from instocktrades for a really reasonable price. It used to be a bear trying to find all of the old El Capitan trades, so people jumping in now are in the best position to start reading Stray Bullets.

holy gently caress, I cannot believe the price on this. I almost got it for like 55 on amazon because it was like 70 at my comic shop and I thought I was getting a good deal. Glad I didnt do that

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In other Lapham news, the Murder Me Dead trade paperback is being re-released through Image. gently caress yeah. :c00l:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Copra Round One is available now from Bergen Street Comics. It collects issues #1-#6.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Read Supreme: Blue Rose #2 last night. I like it - the first issue inspired me to go reread Planetary, and after that I'm really looking forward to where Ellis takes it. My FLCS employee and I started talking about other godawful Liefield/Image books that could get the reboot treatment. Like a Gaiman Spawn, Lemire Savage Dragon,or Brubaker Wetworks.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
After reading the Prophet version of Diehard's future, I desperately want a full comic about him in that style

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

dik-dik posted:

Copra Round One is available now from Bergen Street Comics. It collects issues #1-#6.

This is a really good purchase, guys. People have been waiting forever for the earlier issues to come back in print and there's no beating it for that price and number of issues collected.

The first six issues has this really exhilarating, breakneck pace that ramps up the stakes from the word go, the artwork is like the legacy of Ditko and Kirby fulfilled, and the premise and cast, while rooted in the traditions of DC and Marvel, tells a much more engaging story than you'd commonly find in corporate comics. There's so many great things going for Copra and I can recommend it with absolutely no reservations.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Um, hi guys, so I'm an indie creator. Mostly my stuff is selfpublished but my first book with a publisher is coming out in October. http://www.amazon.com/Misfits-Avalon-Queen-Air-Delinquency/dp/1616555386/

It's about magical girls (like Sailor Moon) who are jerks and have an Arthurian legend theme. Also I've been posting pages on my site to build up to the release if any of you want to read it before hand. http://www.sorcery101.net/misfits-of-avalon/moa1-cover/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

This is a really good purchase, guys. People have been waiting forever for the earlier issues to come back in print and there's no beating it for that price and number of issues collected.

The first six issues has this really exhilarating, breakneck pace that ramps up the stakes from the word go, the artwork is like the legacy of Ditko and Kirby fulfilled, and the premise and cast, while rooted in the traditions of DC and Marvel, tells a much more engaging story than you'd commonly find in corporate comics. There's so many great things going for Copra and I can recommend it with absolutely no reservations.

This is great. Thanks to dik-dik and moot for posting. I've been reading fantastic reviews of Copra for the last year and checking Fiffe's blog weekly for updates as to when this book goes on sale. I skipped the three-issue compendium editions, hoping a 6- or 12-issue TPB would finally get released, so now I've ordered it.

I'm also a huge fan of Fiffe's biggest influence, John Ostrander's Suicide Squad (rekindled in part by watching them be awesome on Arrow last season). I am currently hunting down a complete run of Suicide Squad and all its tie-in issues to get bound into three hardcovers.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I was already hype about the copra trade, thanks for posting that it went on sale because I'm not sure I would have found out otherwise!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

What are some good resources for learning about new and upcoming indie comics? I feel like I'm always a good 6-12 months behind on these.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

dik-dik posted:

What are some good resources for learning about new and upcoming indie comics? I feel like I'm always a good 6-12 months behind on these.

Comics and Cola is a pretty good blog. The comics journal is good as well (heavy Fantagraphics bias because that's where it's based).

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

dik-dik posted:

If you live somewhere where there is a decent store, getting to know the staff so they get to know your taste is often the best way.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mahler posted:

Comics and Cola is a pretty good blog. The comics journal is good as well (heavy Fantagraphics bias because that's where it's based).

Not quite sure where you're seeing a heavy fantagraphics bias there. TCJ is cynical as poo poo about superhero comics, but when they cover new releases each week, anything from fanta gets thrown under their "conflict of interest reservoir." Just read Comics of the Weak and you should be good. The Comics Reporter is also pretty good for covering basically everything, but it's easy to miss things since, well, Spurgeon covers drat near everything.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Finishing up the last few Dark Horse Star Wars titles has been a bummer due to how much I've enjoyed most of them.

The Star Wars (the George Lucas rough draft adaptation) isn't so hot, but might be worth checking out if you love the universe and want to see an alternate path it could have taken. Brian Wood's Star Wars and Legacy v2 were both outstanding though. The Brian Wood book dealt with the big 3 characters and doesn't go too crazy, but Legacy stars a non-force user living 150ish years after the movies. I think they're putting out the final TPBs between now and October, and those last two are definitely worth picking up.

It'll be interesting to see what Marvel does with their titles, since they seem to take place at the same time Brian Wood's book did and might deal with similar topics, like Leia dealing with the loss of Alderaan.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just read the first issue of Low. It's an interesting premise. Not sure what I think so far but I think it has the promise to either really hook me or completely lose my interest. I think the key for me at least will be in how the world he's set up is explored/revealed.

zelah posted:

Finishing up the last few Dark Horse Star Wars titles has been a bummer due to how much I've enjoyed most of them.

The Star Wars (the George Lucas rough draft adaptation) isn't so hot, but might be worth checking out if you love the universe and want to see an alternate path it could have taken. Brian Wood's Star Wars and Legacy v2 were both outstanding though. The Brian Wood book dealt with the big 3 characters and doesn't go too crazy, but Legacy stars a non-force user living 150ish years after the movies. I think they're putting out the final TPBs between now and October, and those last two are definitely worth picking up.

It'll be interesting to see what Marvel does with their titles, since they seem to take place at the same time Brian Wood's book did and might deal with similar topics, like Leia dealing with the loss of Alderaan.

I loved the Lucas draft Star Wars just because it was great to actually "see" what his original vision would have been like (a worse movie overall, but a lot more like an out-there 70's scifi in tone) and also to see how so much stuff from the rest of the five movies came from the stuff cut from the original script. Especially ROTJ and TPM clearly drew a lot from it.

Brian Wood's series sucked, though. The characterization and plot made no sense, not when looked at in relation to the movies or the rest of the EU or to other issues within the comic, it had ridiculous plot jumps, and huge set-ups were then just resolved offscreen in an offhanded comment, or characters just announcing out of the blue they were leaving.

I do think it's clear that Marvel is intending their new series to basically continue on from the major current Dark Horse series (their "Star Wars" title is basically the exact same premise of the Wood Star Wars title, and their Darth Vader title also continuing on from Dark Horse's Star Wars run). Marvel also just announced that they did buy the rights to the Dark Horse comics and are going to be reprinting them as oversized "Epic Legends" collections. The first one is going to be the immediate post-ROTS comics.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
I'm pretty sure the new Marvel series will disregard the Dark Horse continuity for its own and brand the DH work as part of the "Legends" line.

Also, with Aaron, Waid, and Gillen writing the respective series, they'll probably be leagues better than Wood's work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shitshow posted:

I'm pretty sure the new Marvel series will disregard the Dark Horse continuity for its own and brand the DH work as part of the "Legends" line.

Also, with Aaron, Waid, and Gillen writing the respective series, they'll probably be leagues better than Wood's work.

Yeah Dark Horse's continuity is dead right now. They will see prints but its not going any further then it is now.

I wonder when they are going to add this poo poo to comixology though. Its probably gonna be a pain in the rear end.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

I'm just an unabashed Brian Wood fanboy and I'm okay with that. :colbert:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

pugnax posted:

I'm just an unabashed Brian Wood fanboy and I'm okay with that. :colbert:

Uhhhh good luck with that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I mean I'm an unabashed Roman Polanski fan, so, whatever.

The problem with Brian Wood is he's not actually a very good writer.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm not saying it's the best Star Wars story ever told, but Five Days of Sith was an interesting arc.

Also yeah I'm most likely steering clear of his work in the future. I wasn't aware of that situation until recently.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm not gonna rush out and get his stuff much but if it weren't for Brian Wood I wouldn't in about Ryan Kelly, Rebecca Isaacs or Fiona Staples (before Saga) so I have a special place for him.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Eh, I really just can't fault a dude for making a poor-taste pass at a cosplayer at a comic con. And more importantly if I starting questioning art/storytelling because of the creator's personal foibles my shelves would be missing some pretty rad stuff.

I get why people don't like his stuff or think he's not a great writer - I'm certainly not into everything the dude has done. But I really like the way he writes his scripts and works with artists, and I think the way he structures longer form work (northlanders, dmz) is pretty badass.

e: okay read the whole Tess Fowler account and Wood is a total creep and rear end in a top hat, but that certainly won't stop me from buying his books.

pugnax fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 3, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pugnax posted:

Eh, I really just can't fault a dude for making a poor-taste pass at a cosplayer at a comic con. And more importantly if I starting questioning art/storytelling because of the creator's personal foibles my shelves would be missing some pretty rad stuff.

You um should.

I don't care whether you like his work or not but don't do this.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Brian Wood is bad writer who is yet to find a decent concept that he can't turn into gray mess. Demo and Local are alright.
He should be run out of industry for his comic-con casanova escapades anyway and it has nothing to do with his talent.

bairfanx posted:

Just read Comics of the Weak and you should be good.

Tucker had a baby and got a job at Nobrow (I think), so there weren't any new Comics of the Weak for a year now. Good for him, he has been finding new ways to snark about bad mainstream comics for years, that poo poo can rot your brain. On the other hand, his best bud Abhay is a big baby fond of tumblr slapfights and is nowhere as interesting to read.

I second Comics and Cola, best blog to discover new small-press/imported comics.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 1, 2014

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd like to stop by and recommend Invincible and Savage Dragon to everyone, really clever fun gripping stuff. And always helps to have one team on board for decades, or just one guy in Dragon's case. Lots of fun with the superhero genre tropes while actually having longterm changes and having a bit of a fun quirky edge to things.

Also gotta recommend 2000AD weekly and the Judge Dredd Megazine monthly, Judge Dredd in particular is in both and is one of my favs. The creator John Wagner is still on board and writing great stuff in Dredd's pages all these decades later. You might also know him for writing A History of Violence and 80s Batman!

One more for the road, Hack/Slash, in five neato omnibuses, such a fun comic. Okay one more, Cobra: The Last Laugh, if you want a hard boiled noir story set in a GI Joe universe, this is your book. Insanely excellent.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd like to stop by and recommend Invincible

Kirkman alt account spotted!

(I still read Invincible, but it's not highly regarded around here and I should really stop reading it)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Soonmot posted:

Kirkman alt account spotted!

(I still read Invincible, but it's not highly regarded around here and I should really stop reading it)
Different strokes for different folks, but I do wish I had that fat Kirkman money!

But while we're talking, could you recommend say your five favorite ongoing books not from the Big 2? I'm always on the lookout.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

But while we're talking, could you recommend say your five favorite ongoing books not from the Big 2? I'm always on the lookout.

Sex Criminals, Southern Bastards, Rachel Rising, Manhattan Projects, and, though it's just one issue in, The Fade Out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Different strokes for different folks, but I do wish I had that fat Kirkman money!

Sex Criminals, Saga, Lumberjanes, Southern Bastards, and probably Manhattan Projects but only in trades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Heavy Metal posted:

1. Saga - This book is loving AMAZING. Best part is you can get the trades for $10 each. Saga is Romeo and Juliet in space with magic and robots with TV's for heads.

2. East of West - I really enjoy EoW. The Four Horseman have come back to an alternate future America, however Death wakes
up before the rest and sets out on his own mission. Strong writing and the plot is full of twists and turns. Much like Saga it's in 2 trades already for $10 each.

3. Sex Criminals - I might be partial to this one because Matt Fraction writes it and I love Hawkeye. Suze and Jon each have the ability to stop time whenever they orgasm, so what better to with that power than rob banks?! Also the first story arc is available in trade format for only $10

4. Southern Bastards - New book by Jason Aaron. Walking Tall if Walking Tall was a comic book. Great southern gothic spin and really tight (and beliavable) plotting.

5. Spread - This is a newer book thats out right now. It's only 2 issues in so I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it, but I've enjoyed issues one and two thus far and I'm intersted to see where it goes. It steals Saga's narrative device but according to the author of Spread thats purely coincidental.

6. Trees - I know you said five but as I was typing the other 5 I out I remembered Trees. The titular "trees" are actually giant loving space ships that landed on Earth 10 years before issue #1. Nothing has come in or out of the trees in that period of time save for the occasional times they belch a green slime out of them. Trees is not so much about the actual spaceships themselves, it's about the people of Earth and how they are affected by it. Totally different than what I was expecting but still really enjoyable.