Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I didn't like the birdcalls, but the sock was perfectly-timed poetic justice as far as I'm concerned. More stuff like that, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

JT Smiley posted:

I don't get why people harp on that birdcall so hard. It comes and goes so fast I'm surprised anyone even remembered it. I didn't even really notice it until my second watch of the episode.
Are you talking about the scene when Bolin & Co arrive on the bison, or are you talking about the scene at the beginning when they make up the battle plan? Because the later is really unforgettable for me, especially because I knew that Bolin was going to say something stupid and embarrassing the moment that he opened his mouth.

Je suis fatigue posted:

Or the 'put a sock in it' part, it's the same bit they did in ATLA after Ozai loses. Sokka literally makes whooshy noises and then calls Ozai a loser and they make fun of him.
I'm okay with that one, although I think it would have been funnier if Bolin hadn't explained the joke.

Spergatory posted:

I didn't like the birdcalls, but the sock was perfectly-timed poetic justice as far as I'm concerned. More stuff like that, please.
Also stuff like the wink. The wink was funny.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Like someone else I this thread mentioned, Bolin should be more cheaky, less dopey. He has a reason to be a little sassy. Pro bending star, movie star, personal friends with the avatar, lavabender, helped save the world like 3 times now. Make Bolin less dumb please. TIA.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Bolin's best moments are when he's just kinda being a dick who's a little slow, not when you kinda expect Korra to go 'no seriously did he not get enough air in the womb or something?'

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I thought the gag about Ting Ting the ex-United Republic Secret Agent thing during the stakeout episode was hilarious.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

One thing I do really enjoy about Bolin is the way they do his body-language.

Everything about the way he is animated - from his bending style to his build - seems obviously calculated to throw off this pugnacious, blue-collar vibe that is amusingly at odds with him being a vainglorious dope who blunders his way into an unreasonable amount of success. There's a nice "actually really heroic but doesn't understand how/why and is vaguely baffled" thing going on there.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 31, 2014

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure that I'm getting your point here... are you 100% sure of using "throwing off" correctly?

Another thing that I find very funny with the sock gag is that Opal and Lin seem somewhat embarrassed by it. Especially Opal.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

X_Toad posted:

I'm not sure that I'm getting your point here... are you 100% sure of using "throwing off" correctly?

Yes?

Anyway, what I'm saying is just that it is funny when you've got a dude who is drawn/animated to look like some kinda old-timey street boxer, but who occasionally gets it into his head to try and act like Dorian Gray or somebody. It is always amusing to see Bolin placed in wealthy or high-class environs.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hauldren Collider posted:

I thought the gag about Ting Ting the ex-United Republic Secret Agent thing during the stakeout episode was hilarious.

Ting Ting was a great bit because it was just him treating covert ops like he was making a mover, that kind of "Bolin's kinda dumb" jokes are great because there's a reason of them, he's a dumb earthbender street kid who got dazzled by a con man's story about him being a great star. poo poo like birdcalls is less great because why would he think that's a good idea in such a serious situation.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Hauldren Collider posted:

Personally I thought it was funnier that they both decided marching into town in goggles and yellow ponchos would be the perfect low-key disguise.

X_Toad posted:

"Give off" or "exude" might be better words, but it was correct. I think he's just saying Bolin is animated and acted to be sort of this good-hearted but sort of dumb everyman character. Like he's a hero, but a lot of times it's kind of by accident or necessity rather than pure skill/planning. Like when he threw a rock into the center of someone's forehead pretty much out of childish frustration but then it turned out later to be vital to saving Korra from being kidnapped. Or the lavabending I guess.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Kimmalah posted:

Personally I thought it was funnier that they both decided marching into town in goggles and yellow ponchos would be the perfect low-key disguise.

"Give off" or "exude" might be better words, but it was correct. I think he's just saying Bolin is animated and acted to be sort of this good-hearted but sort of dumb everyman character. Like he's a hero, but a lot of times it's kind of by accident or necessity rather than pure skill/planning. Like when he threw a rock into the center of someone's forehead pretty much out of childish frustration but then it turned out later to be vital to saving Korra from being kidnapped. Or the lavabending I guess.
A key part of Sokka's thought process when he made a plan to take down an airship fleet and save an entire continent from total destruction was when he excitedly shouted out "Airbending slice!" when cheering on his friend as he engaged in a life-or-death battle with one of the most powerful people on the planet.
I'm not saying that your post is criticizing Bolin, I just want to throw that out there.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I just rewatched "The Ultimatum." I never noticed it before but Iroh has Earth Kingdom clothes on. He must've stayed in Ba Sing Se :3:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

VanSandman posted:

I just rewatched "The Ultimatum." I never noticed it before but Iroh has Earth Kingdom clothes on. He must've stayed in Ba Sing Se :3:

hey man, he was carving out a nice little chunk of the tea shop/restaurant market, I would return there after the war too

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
If the Comics are considered canon, he filled in for Zuko as Fire Lord briefly and then hosed back off to Ba Sing Se forever

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

My friend and I delved into many serious discussions on what bending is the most OP (because gently caress doing something meaningful and worthwhile). The recent season has thrown some new factors into play, namely lavabending and flight, so the results are far from certain.

To sum up:
Firebending
- Fire manipulation
- Heat manipulation (possible on contact; shown when Iroh heated up his cup of tea or when Zuko melted the ice from below near the end of LoA Season 1)
- Breath of fire (just like airbenders, firebenders are capable of bending with their mouth)
- Blue flames (as far as I remember, only Azula has shown this ability)
- Lightning (evidence indicates that it was used almost exclusively by royal family before LoK; also redirection of lightning)
- Combustion (Combustion Man and P'Li, very rare ability)
- Jet propulsion, flight (quite limited, Sozin's Comet and Avatar State greatly augment this ability)
Earthbending
- Earth manipulation (this includes crystals, like at the end of LoA Season 2)
- Sandbending (rare but not that hard to master as both Toph and Aang have shown proficiency in it, not to mention all those sand nomads)
- Dust manipulation
- Metalbending (according to Suyin, everyone is capable of it)
- Seismic sense (Toph, Lin and Aang are capable of it, possibly more earthbenders are as well)
- Lie detection (impossible to say how many are capable but Toph was not the only one)
- Lavabending (according to the creators, there are some prerequisites)
- Mudbending
Waterbending
- Water manipulation (this includes phase change)
- Healing
- Bloodbending (it has very demanding conditions; Yakone and his sons had another, more potent version of bloodbending)
- Steam and cloud manipulation
- Plantbending (technically it still is water manipulation)
- Mudbending
Airbending
- Air manipulation
- Breath of wind (used mainly for jokes, can be used to augment the sound volume)
- Hypersensitivity (passive air currents may warn airbenders of a coming threat)
- Cloud manipulation (especially when combined with waterbending)
- Suction, vacuum (see Earth Queen)
- Speed and agility augmentation, limited gliding
- Spiritual projection (Jinora)
- Flight (Guru Laghima, Zaheer; very demanding conditions)

Did I miss something?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PiedPiper posted:

My friend and I delved into many serious discussions on what bending is the most OP (because gently caress doing something meaningful and worthwhile). The recent season has thrown some new factors into play, namely lavabending and flight, so the results are far from certain.

Did I miss something?

Fartbending.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Fartbending.

Meelo really one-upped his father with that invention.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PiedPiper posted:

Meelo really one-upped his father with that invention.

It's the way of the future :yosbutt:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The swirly spiritual purification/corruption technique used by Unalaq should probably be considered a form of waterbending. Along those lines, at least one firebending priestess was able to "read" Korra's spiritual energy with fire.

Tenzin attempted an airbending method of cleansing spirits, but so far we haven't seen it used successfully.

Evidently, filthy earthbenders don't get no spirit powers.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

PiedPiper posted:

- Lavabending (according to the creators, there are some prerequisites)
Really? What are those prerequisites and where did the creators mention them?

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Ghazan/Bolin style of lavabending in The Legend of Korra, not the old canon from The Last Airbender where it was only available to the Avatar because it was a unique combination or earth and fire.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

In Roku's flashback with the volcano, was Sozen bending the heat out of the volcano or steam? It looked like steam but he was cooling the lava enough that it turned back into rock.

That was badass, Mako shoulda tried that.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Nephthys posted:

In Roku's flashback with the volcano, was Sozen bending the heat out of the volcano or steam? It looked like steam but he was cooling the lava enough that it turned back into rock.

It's been a while since I've watched it but I think it was a heat transfer thing. Fire benders have been shown to have control over temperatures, but it might take avatar level power to manipulate something as hot as lava.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

X_Toad posted:

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the Ghazan/Bolin style of lavabending in The Legend of Korra, not the old canon from The Last Airbender where it was only available to the Avatar because it was a unique combination or earth and fire.

I don't get why people say this. No one ever actually says that only Avatars can bend lava. It's true that we only see Avatars bend lava in the original series, but I think it was more of a mindset thing, like metalbending. Metalbending was always possible, but people thought it wasn't, so no one ever tried. Then Toph got put in a metal box and Toph's gently caress-you spirit was strong enough to let her see through that age-old lie to a new possibility. I think it's the same with Ghazan and Bolin. Bolin could always bend lava, but during his early fights with Ghazan he never even thinks to try because he still thinks of lava as not-earth, some weird foreign element that only Ghazan can bend. When he's actually put in a do-or-die situation, he discovers he can bend it fairly easily.

Even if lavabending is a weird genetic quirk like combustionbending or super-bloodbending, it's possible that hundreds of potential lavabenders could have lived their entire lives like Bolin up until this season, never realizing what they were capable of because if they thought of lava at all, they thought of it as a fire thing, and not the earth thing that it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There was an interview where the creators implied that Bolin can lavabend because he's the kid of a firebender and an earthbender, but I can't remember where it was. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ImpAtom posted:

There was an interview where the creators implied that Bolin can lavabend because he's the kid of a firebender and an earthbender, but I can't remember where it was. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread.

The interview is here, but it was just something that the interviewer implied, not the creators.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Nephthys posted:

I actually wrote that steam manipulation part but then reconsidered because Sozin was clearly redirecting heat, not manipulating hot steam. Steam was there to make it obvious to the audience.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
I like that bending works on a basic conceptual level rather than any pseudo "hard" scientific rules. I mean fire benders manipulate heat, yah, but water benders change ice to liquid. That technically is a heat thing but more of a common concept of water as far as the show is concerned. Ice is solid water, water is liquid ice, and that's really the extent of the rule. Lightning is actually electricity, which I guess is sorta fire, but it's more of a conceptual definition putting it in fire rather than a cross element thing that combines the right conditions of air bending & water bending. Lava is just liquid earth, so it's no wonder earth benders can do it. The creators just did not think of the concept til this season.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I really like the Avatar is willing to have its stuff be magical even if there are rules to the magic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The answer is something something chakras, manipulation and extension of natural chi of oneself and surroundings.

Stop Science-ing it up.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

A key part of Sokka's thought process when he made a plan to take down an airship fleet and save an entire continent from total destruction was when he excitedly shouted out "Airbending slice!" when cheering on his friend as he engaged in a life-or-death battle with one of the most powerful people on the planet.
I'm not saying that your post is criticizing Bolin, I just want to throw that out there.

I wasn't really making a judgement about the character, especially in comparison to Sokka. I was just trying to clarify another post basically (based on how I read it anyway). I like Bolin's goofiness personally. :shrug:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

X_Toad posted:

I'm okay with the sock, although I think it would have been funnier if Bolin hadn't explained the joke.
Right, that and Opal's tired response.

Season four needs more cheeky Bolin and less autistic Bolin.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
I mean if you wanna get pseudoscience on it all, check this: earthbenders can bend stone and soil. If you compost dead plant material, it becomes soil. So I guess earth benders should be able to bend plant life. After all what's the difference? Where does the line get drawn?

The reason they can't is because conceptually plants ain't earth. That's why, and that's all y'all need to know.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

blurry! posted:

I like that bending works on a basic conceptual level rather than any pseudo "hard" scientific rules.

All benders are just atom benders when you get right down to it... yeah bringing to much science into fantasy things is just weird.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

blurry! posted:

I mean if you wanna get pseudoscience on it all, check this: earthbenders can bend stone and soil. If you compost dead plant material, it becomes soil. So I guess earth benders should be able to bend plant life. After all what's the difference? Where does the line get drawn?

The reason they can't is because conceptually plants ain't earth. That's why, and that's all y'all need to know.

Well Pathik did say that the division between the elements was an illusion after all. :haw:

But really I think there comes a point where you just have to suspend your disbelief and not think about what substance counts as what element or the genetics of bending or whatever. It's as pointless as the Walking Dead threads where they argue about the specifics of zombie biology every season.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kimmalah posted:

But really I think there comes a point where you just have to suspend your disbelief and not think about what substance counts as what element or the genetics of bending or whatever.

Pretty much. What the shows, especially ATLA were more concerned about was the philosophy behind each of the elements, not so much the materials themselves. Probably shown best when Iroh invented redirecting lighting by watching waterbenders. Lighting and water are unrelated (other than water being a really good conductor) but it was more the concept of flow and redirection that was important. This is also why we see both Korra and Aang having difficulty mastering certain elements, as those elements were controlled using a different philosophy than they were used to.

one of the main diffrences between ATLA and Korra actually seems to be that ATLA put a lot more attention into that sort of philosophy, living and the balance of ideas, where as Korra is more interested in political philosophy in particular the power balance of governance and the people and groups it governs.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If you want "scientific" bending, just watch Fullmetal Alchemist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

If you want "scientific" bending, just watch Fullmetal Alchemist.

I like Fullmetal Alchemist a lot but one of the core concepts of the series is that it is about an atheist coming to understand religion and realizing that even with a firm scientific grounding there are things he can't explain. It's all-in on the idea that there is this magical power that, no matter how hard you try, you can't just science away.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
INCOMING SPOILERS

Nick has Nick'd it up again by releasing a trailer for Book 3 that includes shots of Book 4. Which wouldn't be so bad if they weren't big-rear end spoiler shots.

KUVIRAAAA :argh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is getting really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MrAristocrates posted:

This is getting really funny.
Its like Nick is either incompetent or really really bitter that LOK was not the success they thought it was going to be.

• Locked thread