Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
Honestly the best way to do it is to turn on invasions, and fumble through it. Learning is FUN™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

After I've seen a few complaims I saw regarding that all DF LPs are too well done, and fun barely happens, have one in which the fortress quickly falls due to fun. He played DF a year ago, now going into DF2014, and it goes...well.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWDDRyM4FWpBOZWMMKVBBdCT

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Thank you a lot for this! I need more good Dorf Fort videos by people with great recording setups and alright voices. Hopefully he's funny or interesting too but I assume it'll be a good wtach regardless.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jewel posted:

Thank you a lot for this! I need more good Dorf Fort videos by people with great recording setups and alright voices. Hopefully he's funny or interesting too but I assume it'll be a good wtach regardless.

Arumba is a pretty decent LPer. He knows is poo poo, is actually quite funny and pretty much my goto for strategy games, etc.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

You are a nerd posted:

Wasn't there something in the last long hiatus about updating leather production? Because I just got 400+ meat chunks from a Roc that wandered into a buzzsaw trap, but only 2 units of leather.
Just mod it. The following is borrowed from someone in the previous Dwarf Fortress thread (and they probably borrowed it from bay12 so giving credit to the original author is :effort:).

material_template_default.txt
pre:
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
	[ROTS]
	[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:GLOB:NONE]
	[STOCKPILE_GLOB]
	[DO_NOT_CLEAN_GLOB]
A butchered/slaughtered animal will now drop a stack of (Cow Skin [14]) instead of a (Cow Skin). This new item is treated in the same way as a stack of fat or tallow: it can be hauled as-is without the aid of a bucket, it appears as an option for inclusion in Food stockpiles, it can be moved via minecart (presumably for quantum-stockpiling purposes), and it can be crammed into barrels if storage space is scarce.

reaction_other.txt
pre:
[REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE]
	[NAME:tan a hide]
	[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_T]
	[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][UNROTTEN]
	[REAGENT:A:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN]
		[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT]
		[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]  !! this is optional; see below !!
	[PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:TAN_MAT]
	[SKILL:TANNER]
	[AUTOMATIC]
The [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] tag demands that the reagent be a CORPSE or CORPSEPIECE. Our skins are now GLOBs (which makes them ineligible), so we just omit that tag from the reaction definition and then everything's fine. Tanning (which still occurs automatically) will now process your (Cow Skin [14]) into 14 individual units of (Cow Leather).

Note that this reaction occurs "all at once" by default - the entire stack is converted in a single job (like Rendering a stack of fat in a Kitchen, but unlike Spinning a stack of wool or Carving a stack of bones into figurines). If you feel that tanning ought to be a slow (or labor-intensive) operation then you can include the [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] tag after the reagent and then the aforementioned stack of Cow skin will require 14 consecutive jobs.

"Consecutive" is the key word - dwarves cannot split stacks, so multiple Tanneries are useful only if you're attempting to process skins from several animals simultaneously. If you manage to bring down a Forgotten Beast which yields a 200-stack of skin then you'd better hope that you have a Legendary tanner, because otherwise that thing is going to rot before you've processed a tenth of it. Or you can just use the default "all at once" reaction and bask in your unearned Leather bounty, you easymode casual-gamer. Note that dwarves earn experience points based on "number of jobs completed" rather than "number of products created" - dwarves will learn more from the consecutive version than the batch-processing version.

You can make these changes in a saved game and see what happens. The next butcher/slaughter job should yield a full stack of skin and it should be processed automatically, but the new skin options may not appear in your Food stockpiles (which would force you to site your Tanneries near the Butcher's Shop). If your saved fort has any old skins lying around, then they'll presumably be ineligible for the new Tanning reaction; you'll need to dispose of them before they stink up the place.

A new worldgen is the safest bet but isn't strictly necessary. A new worldgen would, however, allow you to plan for the adjusted resource balance in the initial months. You know that slaughtering your draft animals will yield a few dozen units of leather, which can be turned into bags, so perhaps you can cutback on embark gimmicks (e.g. "I'll bring one unit of each type of sand so that I can get free bags") and instead give one of your starting dwarves a few ranks in Leatherworking.

Note: this mod doesn't use the new reaction features, so it can be applied to both .34.11 and .40.xx.

OhCrap
Oct 14, 2011

I MAKE VICTORY!

hailthefish posted:

Nope, not even government supercomputers would work. Supercomputing clusters are operate on heavy parallelization, which Dwarf Fortress won't ever be able to make use of, not even in 2087 when Tarn Adams III releases Dwarf Fortress 1.0 :pseudo:

Toady breeding ... :iit:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

OhCrap posted:

Don't worry, it will utilize the DF-style spore-based method.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Got another Volcano + River embark site! This one has sand so you can have a glass industry. Pick the volcano in the lower left corner in the desert by the cave. Sadly, no iron on the map.

Created in DF v0.40.10.

[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:LAVA YOU VERY MUCH]
[SEED:0wqqeg8mkQcasEWUuAk6]
[HISTORY_SEED:EaiQu24C4OKG48KYIeSe]
[NAME_SEED:C0EoYsKKEUi0mMuSEOGY]
[CREATURE_SEED:egy22UU0w8oKCAaA4gIM]
[DIM:33:33]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1500]
[END_YEAR:200]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:50:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:102:102]
[RAINFALL:0:100:51:51]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:51:51]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:51:51]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:51:51]
[SAVAGERY:30:100:51:51]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[POLE:NORTH_OR_SOUTH]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:700]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:12]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:20]
[TITAN_NUMBER:5]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:20]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:0]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:0]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:10]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:10]
[SECRET_NUMBER:20]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:20]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:20]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:0]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:10]
[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:0]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:1:16:0]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:1:16:0]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:8]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:6:6]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:10]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:8]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:1]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:3]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:5]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
[SITE_CAP:68]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:136:272:136]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Felime posted:

I make all fortress building decisions based on colors and color matching. Don't have enough of one color block to build the wall? NOT GETTING BUILT.

:sun:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh military, why do you continue to be the roadbump of my fortresses? I'm sick of making drawbridges and turtling up when Sieges start. Is there a way to make my militia train up faster, without needing a Danger Room?

I have this strange suspicion the answer lies in the scheduling screen. I usually set squads to train 8/9 minimum, and while they sometimes spar, more often they wait around and have endless dodging/striking demonstrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

Oh military, why do you continue to be the roadbump of my fortresses? I'm sick of making drawbridges and turtling up when Sieges start. Is there a way to make my militia train up faster, without needing a Danger Room?

I have this strange suspicion the answer lies in the scheduling screen. I usually set squads to train 8/9 minimum, and while they sometimes spar, more often they wait around and have endless dodging/striking demonstrations.

Actually a good equipment is just as important. Have iron? Get one armorsmith who will do nothing else but poo poo out iron battleaxes all the time until you get masterwork versions. Same with armor.

Seriously, masterwork armor and weapons make all the difference.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The conventional training wisdom is to use squads of 3-4 men, max. The more men you have under one sergeant, the longer lectures take.

Once they get the demonstrationating out of their systems, they should put the focus on sparring matches.

e: a brown werelizard plucked a bronze crossbow bolt from a dead badger and is busy stabbing my livestock dead :iit:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 1, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

dragon_pamcake posted:

Got another Volcano + River embark site! This one has sand so you can have a glass industry. Pick the volcano in the lower left corner in the desert by the cave. Sadly, no iron on the map.

Created in DF v0.40.10.

I think there are two versions of 40.40 right now -- An r0 and an r1. I tried generating this and didn't get any volcanoes with rivers near them.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

StrangeAeon posted:

In my experience, the military is like any other dwarven endeavor in that the best solution is to just throw lots of bodies at it. I think people microsperg way too much about getting their military skills up, and getting all the perfect masterwork equipment, only to be miserably disappointed when their elite crack squad gets totally overwhelmed by war alligators or an impossibly tough and lethal beast, and all that effort goes to waste.

I've always had the most success just mass conscripting every migrant with any military skill at all, putting them all on non-stop, full-time training, and mass producing armor and weapons, no matter how dumpy their quality. While you may lose a few recruits here and there, it's less of a crushing loss, and eventually your best soldiers will rise to the top anyway. And since soldiers seem to spar more when they have higher skill to begin with, it's really just an issue of getting over that initial hump of skillessness, which is best done through real combat!

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

knowin' nothin' in life but to be legit
Am I the only one having issues getting TWBT working with the latest MacNewbie pack? I'm worried this might be Yet Another Retina Bug, but it seems like it's always using the Text tiles rather than intermingling them with the Graphical tileset I have configured. I occasionally see strangely-scaled flickering of the graphics, but nothing useful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Meat Street posted:

Am I the only one having issues getting TWBT working with the latest MacNewbie pack? I'm worried this might be Yet Another Retina Bug, but it seems like it's always using the Text tiles rather than intermingling them with the Graphical tileset I have configured. I occasionally see strangely-scaled flickering of the graphics, but nothing useful.

You're using the most recent macnewbie with twbt baked right in, right? Because it worked fantastically well for me, I just punched in the multilevel command in dfhack and off I went. Or maybe I didn't even have to do that, I don't remember if it was on by default.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

Yeah, that's what I'm using; are you on a retina screen? I manually chose a graphics set in the launcher; maybe that's what blew out the TWBT config.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I can switch my graphics around in the launcher all day long without any trouble. But no, I'm not on a retina display.

Are you getting any twbt-related errors (red text) in dfhack?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Somehow, 4 dwwarves have had their pathfinding completely broken. They're on the surface, and not next to trees, but they are slowly starving and refusing to move. Wtf.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

StrangeAeon posted:

The best system is a markdwarf fall back plan, get your 2-4 squads of melee dwarfs but always rely upon those 3 marksdwarf squads in a tower to break the siege. My current fortress is 4z levels high with the first floor being the depot access with 2 drawbridges and a last minute fortification gauntlet. The real defense is going to be the watch towers covering all 4 corners so the dwarves can pepper a besieging force constantly with bolts while i use both draw bridges to lure them within range and whittle down the dangerous elements.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Meat Street posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm using; are you on a retina screen? I manually chose a graphics set in the launcher; maybe that's what blew out the TWBT config.

I am using MacNewbie with TWBT on a retina display with no issues. I switched to the CLA graphics set through the launcher.

I did have issues on the PC with TWBT (crashed if I went up too many z-levels, corrupt text), but that may have been because the CLA was packaged oddly for TWBT in that launcher.

Meat Street
Oct 17, 2004

Interesting. For bonus points, this machine is also running Yosemite, so maybe this is something we all have to look forward to.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know MacNewbie has TWBT installed but does LNP?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

You, sir, are a monster.

Little patches. Walls of the same value but different hue, adjacent in a way Armok never intended.

You make me sick. (Only a little bit. If I stare at the one light gray block in the right side of the fortifications too long.)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
The new LP is up.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3662143

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Toady has recently been diagnosed with a severe and debilitating case of autism. Subjects of this particularly potent strain of autism typically are loving lunatics who don't know how to program their way out of a paper bag, and I think it's safe to say that Dwarf Fortress is the stupidest loving game I've ever heard of. Several years from now, Toady will still be in his basement, hunched over his spicy doritoes stained keyboard, nearing completion on a new feature that simulates and follows the growth of each individual follicle on a dwarf causing the entire system to collapse inwards on itself. Flash forward to Toady's deathbed, and we see a malnourished old man using his last ounce of strength and breath to program a way for his dwarves to take shits but because his code is sloppy and haphazard and organized like he was three years old it will somehow cause a chain reaction that hopefully deletes the five-thousand different kinds of cheese and actually turns the game into something fun... he he he...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Please go back to FYAD and send someone who actually knows how to troll.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

fyad is empty, just like me

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

my dad posted:

Please go back to FYAD and send someone who actually knows how to troll.

Am I wrong?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
If Toady wanted a Dwarf hair growth simulator we wouldn't be out of fortress stage yet. His goal is to make a fantasy story engine where a silmarillion is written every time somebody makes a new world.

Its still kind of obsessive, but far more ambitious then you say.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Am I wrong?

no, and that's the problem. those are all established truths, including the malnourishment bit

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think anyone that's seen an interview with Toady would accuse him of being autistic. He's a fairly gregarious guy.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Dude made $36,000+ dollars in the last five months by doing something he loves, the man is living the loving dream.

no boss, no real work, just have to do a bunch of crayon drawings and meet with museum curators or whatever every once in awhile

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OhCrap posted:

It will have to be cloning. Any traditional offspring would only be half-toad, and that just isn't enough.

Also, it will need to be the sci fi cloning where the clone steps out of the tube as a fully formed adult. Toady doesn't have time to be raising no babies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always assumed the end goal of DF was to create a fantasy version of the matrix, in which there is a procedurally generated fantasy version of toady.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

GulMadred posted:

Just mod it. The following is borrowed from someone in the previous Dwarf Fortress thread (and they probably borrowed it from bay12 so giving credit to the original author is :effort:).

material_template_default.txt
pre:
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN_TEMPLATE]
	[ROTS]
	[BUTCHER_SPECIAL:GLOB:NONE]
	[STOCKPILE_GLOB]
	[DO_NOT_CLEAN_GLOB]
A butchered/slaughtered animal will now drop a stack of (Cow Skin [14]) instead of a (Cow Skin). This new item is treated in the same way as a stack of fat or tallow: it can be hauled as-is without the aid of a bucket, it appears as an option for inclusion in Food stockpiles, it can be moved via minecart (presumably for quantum-stockpiling purposes), and it can be crammed into barrels if storage space is scarce.

reaction_other.txt
pre:
[REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE]
	[NAME:tan a hide]
	[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_T]
	[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][UNROTTEN]
	[REAGENT:A:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE][UNROTTEN]
		[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT]
		[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]  !! this is optional; see below !!
	[PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:TAN_MAT]
	[SKILL:TANNER]
	[AUTOMATIC]
The [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] tag demands that the reagent be a CORPSE or CORPSEPIECE. Our skins are now GLOBs (which makes them ineligible), so we just omit that tag from the reaction definition and then everything's fine. Tanning (which still occurs automatically) will now process your (Cow Skin [14]) into 14 individual units of (Cow Leather).

Note that this reaction occurs "all at once" by default - the entire stack is converted in a single job (like Rendering a stack of fat in a Kitchen, but unlike Spinning a stack of wool or Carving a stack of bones into figurines). If you feel that tanning ought to be a slow (or labor-intensive) operation then you can include the [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] tag after the reagent and then the aforementioned stack of Cow skin will require 14 consecutive jobs.

"Consecutive" is the key word - dwarves cannot split stacks, so multiple Tanneries are useful only if you're attempting to process skins from several animals simultaneously. If you manage to bring down a Forgotten Beast which yields a 200-stack of skin then you'd better hope that you have a Legendary tanner, because otherwise that thing is going to rot before you've processed a tenth of it. Or you can just use the default "all at once" reaction and bask in your unearned Leather bounty, you easymode casual-gamer. Note that dwarves earn experience points based on "number of jobs completed" rather than "number of products created" - dwarves will learn more from the consecutive version than the batch-processing version.

You can make these changes in a saved game and see what happens. The next butcher/slaughter job should yield a full stack of skin and it should be processed automatically, but the new skin options may not appear in your Food stockpiles (which would force you to site your Tanneries near the Butcher's Shop). If your saved fort has any old skins lying around, then they'll presumably be ineligible for the new Tanning reaction; you'll need to dispose of them before they stink up the place.

A new worldgen is the safest bet but isn't strictly necessary. A new worldgen would, however, allow you to plan for the adjusted resource balance in the initial months. You know that slaughtering your draft animals will yield a few dozen units of leather, which can be turned into bags, so perhaps you can cutback on embark gimmicks (e.g. "I'll bring one unit of each type of sand so that I can get free bags") and instead give one of your starting dwarves a few ranks in Leatherworking.

Note: this mod doesn't use the new reaction features, so it can be applied to both .34.11 and .40.xx.

I really want to make this work out for me, but what happens is the tanner grabs the stack of skin AND a skull, takes them to the tannery and works on them for a while, finishes, but neither reagent is consumed and produces nothing.

I re-did the raw edits and now the butchered animal produces a stack of skin as expected, but nobody's interested in doing anything with it beyond putting it in the food stockpile.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Crimson Harvest posted:

I really want to make this work out for me, but what happens is the tanner grabs the stack of skin AND a skull, takes them to the tannery and works on them for a while, finishes, but neither reagent is consumed and produces nothing.

I re-did the raw edits and now the butchered animal produces a stack of skin as expected, but nobody's interested in doing anything with it beyond putting it in the food stockpile.
The first problem (skull and skin) occurred because you copy-pasted all of the text from the code snippet; the strikethrough denoted original text which was intended to be removed.

If you made a similar change to the material_template_default file then that would explain the second problem. The ellipsis meant "there's some extra stuff here that I've omitted for the sake of brevity; just skip past it until you get to the part that says [ROTS] and then paste in the new stuff." If you replaced the entire definition of the SKIN material with three dots and some glob stuff, then skin no longer has a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT tag and so your dwarves can't do any tanning.

Fix: revert your material_template file, then re-apply the change (you should be pasting three additional lines at the end of the SKIN definition and removing/replacing nothing). Ensure that the reaction definition contains only one reagent (the "glob" one).

I admit that this is largely my fault; it would have been less confusing to post ready-to-use final text instead of "add this and remove that" markup. But the delta approach is more mod-friendly and (I hope!) it helps people to understand the changes rather than treating the raw files as arcane runes written in ancient neckbeardese.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

A weretapir showed up at my fort, killed a cat, transformed into a goblin and then left. I think I got lucky.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Turtlicious posted:

I know MacNewbie has TWBT installed but does LNP?

Yeah, it got added a bit after MacNewbie did. r3 (I think it's r3?) of LNP should have twbt.

Looks like r4 has downgraded TWBT to v3 though, might be some bugs in nextgen that he couldn't work around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Anyone settled on Ocean biomes this version? I'm suddenly very curious about sea creatures in the Dorf world.