Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Can't stop watching that video of the fetches being revealed at PAX. What a cool moment :]

Could someone link me to this please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Gensuki posted:

Is the clash pack at this point cheaper than the parts you get from it?

If you get it for $22 on Amazon or Ebay, it's not bad. If Courser stays at $15, Prophet of Kruphix is going for $3, Nykthos is like $4, Temple of Mystery is $3, so that's worth it. Anything else like the Sphinx or Hydra are just bonus.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
If someone has the time, the 75 minute Painter vs Miracles semifinals of the Legacy Open is worth checking out, if only for how funny it gets towards the end for Cedric and Patrick, who are so unbelievably bored that they kind of go a little delirious. The last 20 minutes are just Ensnaring Bridge + Blood Moon vs Counterbalance + Top.

At one point Patrick says something like, "We could have watched actual paint dry and have it be more entertaining at this point," and when the match finally ends, Patrick points out the "lone, ironic sarcastic slow clap from the sole remaining spectator on the railing" which has Cedric laughing for a good minute.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Is Ugin's Nexus good enough to see vintage play? 5 isn't a lot in that format, it shuts down vault + key, and tinkering it into Blightsteel is probably game every time.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

born on a buy you posted:

Is Ugin's Nexus good enough to see vintage play? 5 isn't a lot in that format, it shuts down vault + key, and tinkering it into Blightsteel is probably game every time.

I've been watching LSV play vintage a bit this past week, and I think the Nexus is unplayable there. If you can successfully cast a 5 mana spell and not have it be countered/bounced/destroyed in vintage, you should essentially win the game, and the nexus doesn't get you close.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

lardnar posted:

I've been watching LSV play vintage a bit this past week, and I think the Nexus is unplayable there. If you can successfully cast a 5 mana spell and not have it be countered/bounced/destroyed in vintage, you should essentially win the game, and the nexus doesn't get you close.

I'd imagine the real strength of Nexus in vintage would be Dredge.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

First Bass posted:

I'd imagine the real strength of Nexus in vintage would be Dredge.

It only triggers when it goes to the 'yard from the battlefield, Dredging it from the library doesn't get you anything.

VV: It would instantly be a 4-of in any Dredge deck I'd guess. Also, it would combo with One With Nothingness. :v: Does Wizards' (Wizards's?) foresight know any bounds?

But that's exactly why it doesn't trigger on anywhere, cause you could just Gifts Ungiven for it or something, it would be hilariously busted in a myriad ways.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 1, 2014

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

Serperoth posted:

It only triggers when it goes to the 'yard from the battlefield, Dredging it from the library doesn't get you anything.

If you got an extra turn when it entered your yard from anywhere, it would be a more interesting card, and also get banned in at least standard, and probably every other format.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

lardnar posted:

If you got an extra turn when it entered your yard from anywhere, it would be a more interesting card, and also get banned in at least standard, and probably every other format.

g/b dredge would instantly rocket to top tier between Satyr Wayfinder and Thoughtseize

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

born on a buy you posted:

Tinker is a 3-mana spell that causes you to win the game next turn, unless your opponent has one of a small number of answers. Tezzeret the Seeker is a 5-mana spell that causes you to win the game the next turn, unless your opponent has one of a small number of answers. Ugin's Nexus isn't nearly as powerful as either of those, and it's not particularly effective as Time Vault hate since Pithing Needle does that job much better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Remember guys, Legacy Burn is nothing but fetchlands and Mountains. Why? Because fetchlands in mono-colored decks with a low mana curve are loving awesome.

Guys aggro is going to be so good in the new rotation I'm so excited for it goddamn.

This is more for searing blaze than anything else.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

lardnar posted:

The decks that can easily produce five mana on their first turn are Workshop decks that play lots of artifacts*. Pithing Needle on Time Vault is better though, but this could see some sideboard play in Workshop decks that can easily sacrifice it when needed, such as Goblin Welder-based lists.

*Not that you'd run this out first turn, unless you know for sure your opponent has the god hand of a first turn Vault/Key combo.

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011

BJPaskoff posted:

The decks that can easily produce five mana on their first turn are Workshop decks that play lots of artifacts*. Pithing Needle on Time Vault is better though, but this could see some sideboard play in Workshop decks that can easily sacrifice it when needed, such as Goblin Welder-based lists.

*Not that you'd run this out first turn, unless you know for sure your opponent has the god hand of a first turn Vault/Key combo.

Edit: Forgot how spells work.

It's still a narrow sideboard card, but vintage is weird enough I wouldn't be too surprised.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ooh I forgot all about the deck thinning argument. Best part of fetches being in standard!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
^^ Is there something to be said for that? I mean, I know it's not statistically useful to most decks, but if a mono Red deck wants to stop drawing land at a certain point, having some that take another out of the deck is good isn't it? Or is it not worth the point of life? I'm sure studies have been conducted.

I've just realized Fetches are in standard with Urborg. It's a bit narrow unless you play multiple legendary land, but that means you can turn Fetches into black sources until you need to crack them for something else. Might be handy for black decks splashing other colours.

Going to try not to be too annoyed about my Marsh Flats and Verdant Catacombs being devalued, I only paid $40 for each set something like 2 and a half years ago. Suspect they will be standard legal come Lewie as well, that set will need fixing too after all.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

BizarroAzrael posted:

^^ Is there something to be said for that? I mean, I know it's not statistically useful to most decks, but if a mono Red deck wants to stop drawing land at a certain point, having some that take another out of the deck is good isn't it? Or is it not worth the point of life? I'm sure studies have been conducted.

Even though it's a very minor benefit, that's still a benefit, so why not.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sarcastro posted:

Even though it's a very minor benefit, that's still a benefit, so why not.

Because there is also a cost; even in mono red losing a life is not free.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Courser is sitting at 17 (price+shipping), clash packs are 22-25 shipped. Cards worth mentioning

Nykthos
Alt art foil Prognostic sphinx
Alt art foil Temple of mystery
Alt art foil Prophet of kruphix
Genesis hydra
alt art foil font of fertility
Aetherspout

Are all those worth 5-8 dollars? I think so.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
The deck-thinning effect of fetches is pretty miniscule for decks with normal land ratios but it becomes more pronounced with the fewer lands you run. If you're playing legacy burn with 16 lands, the effect is actually appreciable compared with a 20 or 24 land deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

Courser is sitting at 17 (price+shipping), clash packs are 22-25 shipped. Cards worth mentioning

Nykthos
Alt art foil Prognostic sphinx
Alt art foil Temple of mystery
Alt art foil Prophet of kruphix
Genesis hydra
alt art foil font of fertility
Aetherspout

Are all those worth 5-8 dollars? I think so.

I am no cardboard baron but I doubt alt art font and maybe aetherspout are worth that much.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Neither is prognostic really, tcg mid for the sphinx is about 1.30. Font is probably .25, but is anyone buying? Probably not. I do think the prophet and temple will end up being nice edh trade fodder even after rotation (assuming prophet doesn't get banned because people are whiners).

Same for nykthos. Any lands that produces more than 1 mana is a card to watch.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The johnny in me wants to combine goblin welder and Ugin's Nexus to make infinite turns somehow.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Molybdenum posted:

Neither is prognostic really, tcg mid for the sphinx is about 1.30. Font is probably .25, but is anyone buying? Probably not. I do think the prophet and temple will end up being nice edh trade fodder even after rotation (assuming prophet doesn't get banned because people are whiners).

Same for nykthos. Any lands that produces more than 1 mana is a card to watch.

There's a suspicion that Nykthos may be the Command Tower in Commander 2014.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The johnny in me wants to combine goblin welder and Ugin's Nexus to make infinite turns somehow.

Pretty sure that's impossible. You need to exile it to take the extra turn. If you copy it, the Legend Rule will destroy the original or the copy as soon as SBEs are checked; the one remaining on the battlefield will prevent the extra turn.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, Fate Reforged is the swing set, right? Much better name than <whatever> of Tarkir.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mfcrocker posted:

There's a suspicion that Nykthos may be the Command Tower in Commander 2014.

Since they're going to be mono-colored Command Tower would be a bit of a waste. Nykthos would be a really good fit.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
So did they change when they update the mothership with previews? Used to be I roll out of bed Monday morning and previews are up.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
articles come up in ~20 min

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So did they change when they update the mothership with previews? Used to be I roll out of bed Monday morning and previews are up.

I think they just pushed the mechanics article out early, with the PAX reveals and all.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

They update at 8am Pacific now instead of 12am Eastern.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's Labor Day here in the US, it's possible they won't update today.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Elyv posted:

It's Labor Day here in the US, it's possible they won't update today.

Maro has said the website will update. He doesn't get a day off today. (Other than not going into the office)

They changed the updating time when they did the site redesign. I personally dislike it, but that's because I enjoyed reading preview cards before I went to sleep, rather than trying to sneak a look at the cards at work.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
e:Nevermind.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think I really like Crackling Doom for several reasons. My Kaalia EDH deck will like it for one, and if standard allows reliable access to three colours, and it should, it seems pretty potent for keeping creatures down.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIC1M_eKagk&hd=1

\

Maro's first Khans design article

Zorak fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 1, 2014

RME
Feb 20, 2012

What I like about fetches in standard is that there are going to be so many people who mess up their own scry.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

It was true during zendikar and it'll be true now. People even passed fetches, some foil, just to win a draft!
That was before Modern was really a thing though. Even the Onslaught ones were <$20 during Zendikar standard, because the only thing fetchlands were good for was Legacy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Well now, there's the < 6-mana wrath and the BUG self-mill enabler people have been asking for.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 1, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So if I'm reading that right, no matter how many creatures get binned by an effect, you only get one 2/2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Bollocks, I was going to try playing Heroic/Bestow.

Was also considering Suitai, and this looks neat. Was expecting Naga to be typed as Snakes actually. That sort of thing has long been inconsistent, with Cats and Birds instead of Leonin and Avians, but also Merfolk instead of fish.

• Locked thread