Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Wow! Thanks for the infodump!

Looks like I got my work cut out for me! I'm pretty sure I got DQ8 for the PS2 at home. Funny story, I paid five bucks thinking I was going to get Monster Hunter for the PS2, opened it up and got DQ8. Not a bad trade-off eh?

Edit: Just realized my laptop could probably emulate this with no issues. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
It looks really good emulated. Looks good on a CRT TV as well, of course.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

DQX is on PC and will be on 3DS (as the weird streamed game that it is on phones) also.

Thanks, I forgot about the PC version. It would be pretty odd to have a console-only MMO.

Having a streamed 3DS version sounds similar to PSNow, since the game's been rendered on more capable hardware and the video feed is being streamed to the 3DS. 400x240 wouldn't be difficult to stream at all, even in 3D, assuming the latency was low enough.

I just started FFXIV: A Realm Reborn today, so it's a shame we'll probably never get DQX over here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
FFXIV will have the DQ cross-over event next month. I forget what all you can get but it includes the horned helmet sprites like Kandar wore, and a Golem pet?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFXIV will have the DQ cross-over event next month. I forget what all you can get but it includes the horned helmet sprites like Kandar wore, and a Golem pet?
I hope Golem pet is the next Fat Chocobo, it could be absolutely adorbs :allears:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is DQVII gonna gently caress me hard if I don't follow strict class paths? Not a huge fan of playing games following guides to the letter. Which probably means DQVII isn't for me :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Advanced classes are simply better than basic ones so the game would be harder but unless you're using osme really bizzare setup and neglect magic entirely or something you should be fine

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

You forgot the most important reward: Ze puff-puff.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I have 7 on the 3DS, the class system is dramatically different. While it's easier to level up, you don't keep most skills between classes so it turns out Monster classes are the best for actually getting skills because they keep between classes.

I don't know if this makes it better or worse than the PS1, as it's still 45 minutes to an hour before you fight anything.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
45 minutes to an hour? drat son, play Suikoden V and you'll be begging for that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Arcaeris posted:

I have 7 on the 3DS, the class system is dramatically different. While it's easier to level up, you don't keep most skills between classes so it turns out Monster classes are the best for actually getting skills because they keep between classes.

I don't know if this makes it better or worse than the PS1, as it's still 45 minutes to an hour before you fight anything.

Frankly that turns it into... basically an entirely different game with the same story. drat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Million Ghosts posted:

45 minutes to an hour? drat son, play Suikoden V and you'll be begging for that.
You fight some battles pretty early in Suikoden V :confused: Like, maybe 15 minutes into the game.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Pointless filler ones, and it's a lot longer before you can actually do much of anything. Though I see why a long opening is stupid in DQ when most of them drop you right in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You still "fight something" and use the battle system and all that jazz. There's even a boss fight! What I think you're actually referring to is when you're allowed to actually explore the overworld and start recruiting people, which does take a while. A better example would be Persona 4, where you literally have to spend about 2 hours before you use the battle system at all (except for that one scripted sequence I guess)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

You fight some battles pretty early in Suikoden V :confused: Like, maybe 15 minutes into the game.

And the beginning segment of Suikoden 5 is pretty cool because you basically get to live your normal (if slightly dull) life rather than the usual "ok bad poo poo happened, off you go then" setup in games. Suikoden 3's first 3 chapters was the best setup though it made the game really tedious. Not getting Vicki until really late in the game didn't help.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It is cool, it is just a monolith of a prologue.

Are monster classes in DQVII as pointless as everything I've read is saying? Cause it's a neat concept.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Levantine posted:

I think it was touched on by another poster in this thread but apparently the Japanese just loving looooove portrait for some reason. I don't really get it myself. Toucharcade did a pretty long review if you want to see if it's for you: http://toucharcade.com/2014/05/29/dragon-quest-viii-review/

When you're on an hour-long train ride to work and you're practically hugging the guy in front of you while standing with one hand firmly grasping a pole to keep yourself from setting off a human domino effect, it's nice to be able to use your one free hand to play Dragon Quest IV.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I wonder if it would have really been that difficult to implement a landscape mode? I mean sure have portrait as default but I would imagine it wouldn't take a substantial amount of work to allow the option.

What do I know though, I'm not a developer of the ever-so-polished and professional apps that plague the Play store.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nickoten posted:

When you're on an hour-long train ride to work and you're practically hugging the guy in front of you while standing with one hand firmly grasping a pole to keep yourself from setting off a human domino effect, it's nice to be able to use your one free hand to play Dragon Quest IV.

You think there's enough space on a train in Japan to allow people to fall over?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
It's more like a group lean so that you literally fall out of the train doors when they open, as if a hundred people were eavesdropping on a conversation in a sitcom.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Apparently you all had way more exciting experiences riding trains in Tokyo than I did. :saddowns:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So I'm really close to the end of DQ5 with my hero at level 35 and most other characters around 32. Is this enough to fight the final boss or do I need to grind a few more levels?

Also, I read a guide suggesting one uses Sabre but I've levelled up Mason quite a bit and his stats and HP seem to make him the best for straight up melee combat. Is there any reason I should be using Sabre instead?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

BadAstronaut posted:

So I'm really close to the end of DQ5 with my hero at level 35 and most other characters around 32. Is this enough to fight the final boss or do I need to grind a few more levels?

Also, I read a guide suggesting one uses Sabre but I've levelled up Mason quite a bit and his stats and HP seem to make him the best for straight up melee combat. Is there any reason I should be using Sabre instead?

The levels are a little low but it's still doable. Not sure about using the sabrecat, though. Hell, I never used it at all after childhood.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

BadAstronaut posted:

That's kind of low. My suggestion is to grind for some money to buy equipment at the final town, and you'll naturally get a helpful level bump. A 2 level cushion should help tremendously.

Also, you should really be using the Slime Knight, IMO. Equipped with a Sword of Miracles and good armor, he's helpful up to the end.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Terpfen posted:

you should really be using the Slime Knight, IMO.

Where can I grind for one? How easy is it to bag one?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BadAstronaut posted:

Where can I grind for one? How easy is it to bag one?

I got one very early. They show up near Coburg, Abovitall Tower, and I think on the Medal King's island. If you kill them last in a fight, the capture rate for the first one is 25%.

They learn useful healing spells and use heavy armour and swords, which makes them a good place to offload stuff to, and they have some elemental resistances. They don't learn Zing but they do get Fullheal, and they get Drain Magic so they can keep topped up.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 17, 2014

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hmmm, but I'd probably have to grind up forever at this point, though, to get him to a point where he could be useful in the final fight - and this is at a point where Mason has like... 400+ hit points and does over 100 damage easy.

What enemies drop the most gold if I just want to equip my characters with the best loot - and should Parry keep all the Zenithian stuff? Is there anything game-critical to him being fully kitted?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BadAstronaut posted:

Hmmm, but I'd probably have to grind up forever at this point, though, to get him to a point where he could be useful in the final fight - and this is at a point where Mason has like... 400+ hit points and does over 100 damage easy.

What enemies drop the most gold if I just want to equip my characters with the best loot - and should Parry keep all the Zenithian stuff? Is there anything game-critical to him being fully kitted?

Nobody but Parry can use the Zenithian stuff so you might as well leave it on him. If you do want to give him something else for whatever reason, make sure someone keeps ahold of the Sword and Shield rather than tossing them in the bag; anyone can use them as items to dispel effects and cast Bounce respectively. The Armour and Helm have no on-use effect though.

As for money, I'm not sure what in particular, but fights in Nadiria are OK for it. Jewel bags (and related monsters) tend to drop tons. Using the Dragon Staff as an item will clean up most random encounters in Nadiria too.

Make sure someone in your group can cast Insulatle (fortunately, Parry can) and Oomph.

edit: I never used Mason so I can't speak for his usability. That's a golem, right? He's probably your first Oomph target since he won't be doing much but pounding.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 17, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dragon Quest Heroes, a Dynasty Warriors-style spinoff, was announced at Sony Japan's conference today.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/1/6092321/dragon-quest-heroes-ps4-ps3-musou

Along with a special edition PS4 for when it releases.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
How the gently caress does Tecmo-Koei get its hands on all these prestigious franchises? I mean, I get why they're able to get anime/manga IPs but you'd think other publishers/developers would be a little more discriminating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How the gently caress does Tecmo-Koei get its hands on all these prestigious franchises? I mean, I get why they're able to get anime/manga IPs but you'd think other publishers/developers would be a little more discriminating.

The Dynasty Warriors games are, by and large, actually fairly good games. They put time and effort into trying to make them distinctive and interesting within the confines the basic 'beat up a lot of poo poo' concept. They're not always successful but the games for the most part sell and are generally well liked.

There's not really anything to be discriminating about. If you're looking for someone to make a fairly light beat 'em up spinoff of your franchise, Omega Force will probably do a significantly better job than most other companies you could get while also having a built-in audience.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They have the manpower and design template to swap in whatever brand they want and get it out an HD console. The Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors/Warriors Orochi games haven't been as successful as they were during the PS1/PS2 days (many Japanese franchises had their sales shredded when the HD development arrived), so they've tried to license brands to help maintain sales. The first One Piece game did very well but the follow-up was not as successful. It's a good collaboration for a company that has a strong IP but lacks the available resources for developing it internally or has no experience in game development at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't have a PS4 and I will want to get one eventually and that is a beautiful one. Are they region free and/or will we get it in America, pretty please Japan?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't have a PS4 and I will want to get one eventually and that is a beautiful one. Are they region free and/or will we get it in America, pretty please Japan?

PS4 is region free but the chance of getting that in America without relying on importers is slim to none.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

iastudent posted:

PS4 is region free but the chance of getting that in America without relying on importers is slim to none.
Then I'll import. That thing is beautiful.

(I want to believe that SE knows some of us like Dragon Quest games. But I know they don't know that.)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

They know. They also know the number of fans is 'not enough' or 'not as much'.

Because goddamn. :stare: I don't have a PS4 but if that was here that would change my mind in a heartbeat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Because goddamn. :stare: I don't have a PS4 but if that was here that would change my mind in a heartbeat.
I know, right? At least 2015 gives us enough time to find an importer! And all PS4s can change system menu language so that's not an issue. Yes, I checked.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think your X and O might be permanently switched for OS level things, though. Not a big deal, it will just feel like playing PSX games again!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I was kinda bummed that it didn't look like you could be any heroes from previous games until I saw some cast for 4 in there. Hopefully the they're playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

iastudent posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes, a Dynasty Warriors-style spinoff, was announced at Sony Japan's conference today.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/1/6092321/dragon-quest-heroes-ps4-ps3-musou

Along with a special edition PS4 for when it releases.

If I were to buy a PS4 I know what version I want even though it'd be expensive as poo poo to import probably :(