Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Here's a question: do people in America realise quite how fundamentally weird the concept of a pep rally is?

The term is usually used as a descriptor or point of comparison. Fundraisers, political conventions, business retreats, even cause awareness campaigns like Earth Day. Any time an event is held to support a cause, it often gets called "like a pep rally", which admittedly is kind of stupid because how would you hold a meeting for no cause at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A bit like Dominic West in The Wire and Hugh Laurie in House when they put on stupid English accents.

Here's a question: do people in America realise quite how fundamentally weird the concept of a pep rally is?

Did Hugh Laurie do a really fake British accent in House?

I would say many people realize how dumb a pep rally is. That's why many high schools have alternative pep rallies where you can sit in the cafeteria and do anything else besides be excited your school is going to play a football game or something. It's just an event to get a bunch of dumb kids excited for a thing a bunch of their fellow dumb kids are doing. Just like any other event is to get a bunch of dumb adults excited about something. That's what a rally is, to draw people together for a common goal.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Would the Doctor really prefer that these people DON'T fight the Dalek's? The episode kind of confuses things by calling them a rebel fleet, and by having the Doctor dislike them like they are a controlling force. I'm sure the average Joe of the future human empire is happy to have people with guns between him and the Dalek army.

It's kind of odd characterisation because all of these people are soldiers and are dying because of his gently caress up.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Would the Doctor really prefer that these people DON'T fight the Dalek's? The episode kind of confuses things by calling them a rebel fleet, and by having the Doctor dislike them like they are a controlling force. I'm sure the average Joe of the future human empire is happy to have people with guns between him and the Dalek army.

It's kind of odd characterisation because all of these people are soldiers and are dying because of his gently caress up.

That's probably why they did the thing where they were going to chuck The Doctor out of the airlock, to establish they weren't all just about protecting people.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Senor Tron posted:

That's probably why they did the thing where they were going to chuck The Doctor out of the airlock, to establish they weren't all just about protecting people.

Except they suspected he was a Dalek duplicate.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why didn't they suspect that woman was a dalek duplicate? She just mentioned how she thought she died and then appeared on that guy's ship and was taken back to their secret rebel ship.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

Why didn't they suspect that woman was a dalek duplicate? She just mentioned how she thought she died and then appeared on that guy's ship and was taken back to their secret rebel ship.

Because humans aren't rational, particularly when their loved ones are involved.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Did Hugh Laurie do a really fake British accent in House?

he did for 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfBTe_N-m6U

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So after months of swearing up and down that she would never ever watch it because I said it was a scary episode, the kiddo watched Midnight at a friend's house yesterday.

And I quote - "Why did you think that was so scary? It was just one big game of Jinx!"

She still refuses to watch The Shakespeare Code because she saw a picture of the witches in a book and The Talons of Weng-Chiang because of the puppet. :iiam:

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

CobiWann posted:

So after months of swearing up and down that she would never ever watch it because I said it was a scary episode, the kiddo watched Midnight at a friend's house yesterday.

And I quote - "Why did you think that was so scary? It was just one big game of Jinx!"

She still refuses to watch The Shakespeare Code because she saw a picture of the witches in a book and The Talons of Weng-Chiang because of the puppet. :iiam:

Midnight is for serious the only episode to ever legitimately frighten me

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Midnight is for serious the only episode to ever legitimately frighten me

Midnight has some great bits, but I found it let down by its ridiculous wordiness, and the "we're space-travelling human in the future, but are also from Bromley" passengers were painful.

Also, it sticks in my craw that it's a Donna-lite episode, as we didn't get nearly enough Donna for my liking.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I went a little nuts during all those Big Finish sales not too long ago, and one of the stories that fell into my lap during my buying frenzy was The Holy Terror. Which is an interesting enough story after a fashion, but I'm having a hard time with just one teensy tiny thing.

Why the gently caress is there a penguin? :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

He's not really a penguin; he's a shape-changing extra-terrestrial who chooses to look like one.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

jng2058 posted:

So I went a little nuts during all those Big Finish sales not too long ago, and one of the stories that fell into my lap during my buying frenzy was The Holy Terror. Which is an interesting enough story after a fashion, but I'm having a hard time with just one teensy tiny thing.

You're questioning the best companion in the history of Doctor Who?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jng2058 posted:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Frobisher

He's from the comic strip, and I think this and the one-shot The Maltese Penguin are the only time he's shown up in Big Finish. It was very off putting to me as well, but his concept works very well in the story's framework.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

PriorMarcus posted:

Except they suspected he was a Dalek duplicate.

Executing random civilians on the off chance that they're a spy is not exactly a great thing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gum posted:

Executing random civilians on the off chance that they're a spy is not exactly a great thing.

The Doctor was not a random civilian he randomly showed up on their hidden ship.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

jng2058 posted:

I just finished that one during my lunch break actually. I wasn't totally sold by it initially, but it has a really nice final third. Frobisher is fun though and I wish there was more of him.

I think I'm gonna take Invaders From Mars and Chimes of Midnight next, to reignite my Eighth Doctor love - Dark Eyes was loving fantastic.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jng2058 posted:

That's not the question! You have pudding for brains!

The question is... Why isn't there a penguin on the show?

LividLiquid posted:

My favorite part about this is that they get to do all this without regressing him. He isn't just erasing fifty years of character development. He has the same tactics and ideas as Eleven, but he just doesn't lie to everybody about it like Eleven did.

Where Eleven was

"What are you going to do?"

"Something brilliant. Just you wait!" (Thinking, "I'd better come up with something.")

Twelve is more

"What are you going to do?"

"Haven't a clue, but it'll be something good."

My favorite quote from Eleven was one that pretty much sums up the entirety of the Doctor's adventures. With the Truth Field in full effect, Clara asks him what he's going to do—and, unable to lie, gives a weary, "I dunno. Keep them talking, wait for something to happen, take the credit. That's usually how these things work."

Just a brief glimpse that the Doctor, as we long suspected, is monumentally full of poo poo most of the time. :)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DoctorWhat posted:

They were all just off-camera, because the Doctor likes to do his big show-stopping numbers alone and shooed them out of frame.

Which is wonderfully metatextual.

I wonder just how they recruited all the Doctors for the big one. Did they just visit the First and then set a reminder in the TARDIS at later points?

Is it weird I'm curious where the various Doctors were in their timelines?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is it weird I'm curious where the various Doctors were in their timelines?

Well, probably weird yes, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know too, now that you bring it up...

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The First Eight were all right after the events of Light at the End, and Nine went there during the three seconds he was away at the end of Rose.

The second Seven was actually Sylvester McCoy himself, popping in to make sure everything went smoothly.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

CobiWann posted:

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Frobisher

He's from the comic strip, and I think this and the one-shot The Maltese Penguin are the only time he's shown up in Big Finish. It was very off putting to me as well, but his concept works very well in the story's framework.

Fun coincidence that the answer to his question was a character with the same name as one of Capaldi's other characters in the Dr. Who universe.

How big of a coincidence chain do you need before the plot of this franchise collapses into a singularity that destroys all of narrative causality?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So the overnights are in, and they are...not good: 5.2 million, down 4 million from last week. Has it ever been that low?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

HD DAD posted:

So the overnights are in, and they are...not good: 5.2 million, down 4 million from last week. Has it ever been that low?

According to the OP, last week's overnights were 6.8 million. How is 5.2 million 4 million down from that?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Diabolik900 posted:

According to the OP, last week's overnights were 6.8 million. How is 5.2 million 4 million down from that?

Final rating for last week were ~9M; I assume someone got their wires crossed.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 1, 2014

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I guess the tumblr "Eww the doctor isnt hot anymore" crowd might actually be a thing... if those numbers turn out to be accurate.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anyone who thought Matt Smith is hot is a weirdo. I mean I love him. But he's loving weird looking.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
It would be great if people took the time to understand the difference between overnights and final ratings before assuming the viewership has genuinely almost halved in a week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't they still have to wait for the +1 week DVR watchers?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

pinacotheca posted:

It would be great if people took the time to understand the difference between overnights and final ratings before assuming the viewership has genuinely almost halved in a week.

What's the over/under on the ratings? :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I guess the tumblr "Eww the doctor isnt hot anymore" crowd might actually be a thing... if those numbers turn out to be accurate.

No, stop being an idiot.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Look at your custom title.

Take it's advice.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

While we're on the subject of ratings... I noticed that Wikipedia has figures for every season. Sooo... I graphed it!

Look, sometimes I get bored.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

People still give a poo poo about show ratings? I thought those were generally useless when you consider all the various forms and ways someone can watch their favorites now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Autonomous Monster posted:

While we're on the subject of ratings... I noticed that Wikipedia has figures for every season. Sooo... I graphed it!

Look, sometimes I get bored.

EDIT: ignore me, I'm an idiot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
% of the UK population, it says at the top

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

People still give a poo poo about show ratings? I thought those were generally useless when you consider all the various forms and ways someone can watch their favorites now.

Poor ratings killed Who before, it can do it again.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think we're probably at least a few years out from the BBC considering cancelling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Plavski posted:

Poor ratings killed Who before, it can do it again.

Michael Grade killed Who.

• Locked thread