Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clarste posted:

He's selling out? How adorable. Good for him.

i cannot tell if youre being serious or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

Genius of Sappheiros is the greatest turn-based RPG of all time, plot aside.

It's really fun up until the point that you start dying to anything and everything.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

Genius of Sappheiros is the greatest turn-based RPG of all time, plot aside.

Aside from the pants on head retarded crafting system that actively punishes you for making low level items by cutting into extremely limited supplies of materials that require serious grinding to replenish and the absolutely ludicrous 100% mandatory experience grinding to make multiple functional parties, I guess.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

a cartoon duck posted:

ZUN can do whatever he wants. He deserves the money, if he's getting any.

Kanos posted:

Aside from the pants on head retarded crafting system that actively punishes you for making low level items by cutting into extremely limited supplies of materials that require serious grinding to replenish and the absolutely ludicrous 100% mandatory experience grinding to make multiple functional parties, I guess.

I realized pretty early on that I didn't have enough materials to upgrade weapons every tier so I didn't. If you're not obsessive-compulsive about getting all equipment it's not really a problem, and if you are you probably like grinding anyway.

I also never had to grind experience either, although to be fair I never beat the final boss (either of them). Luckily I don't care about the story, so I'm pretty happy having played a challenging and interesting RPG, rather than unhappy that the final obstacle was a bit annoying. After the first split up I just started switching my party members around every so often to keep their experience even-ish. Levels don't really matter all that much most of the time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

I also never had to grind experience either, although to be fair I never beat the final boss (either of them). Luckily I don't care about the story, so I'm pretty happy having played a challenging and interesting RPG, rather than unhappy that the final obstacle was a bit annoying.

Did you forget about the part where the game gives absolutely no experience to your non-active party members and there are multiple dungeons that require you to form several discrete parties simultaneously? Most of my friends got around the issue by using cheat engine to hack everyone to the same level, but I never bothered.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanos posted:

Did you forget about the part where the game gives absolutely no experience to your non-active party members and there are multiple dungeons that require you to form several discrete parties simultaneously? Most of my friends got around the issue by using cheat engine to hack everyone to the same level, but I never bothered.

Play smarter, not harder, I guess? It was hard, certainly, but not "grind forever" hard. Just, "think carefully" hard. You just have to have your better characters babysit the others. They catch up pretty fast while you're exploring.

I guess if I had a complaint it's that there aren't enough CST boosting accessories for multiple parties.

Edit: Come to think of it this is meaningless because they're probably releasing the version that has Easy Mode.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 1, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

Play smarter, not harder, I guess? It was hard, certainly, but not "grind forever" hard. Just, "think carefully" hard. You just have to have your better characters babysit the others. They catch up pretty fast while you're exploring.

I guess if I had a complaint it's that there aren't enough CST boosting accessories for multiple parties.

Edit: Come to think of it this is meaningless because they're probably releasing the version that has Easy Mode.

You don't need level 99 to succeed, but when you're suddenly told "Well hope you've got another 4 people leveled up!" and you look and see a bunch of level 5s on your back bench that won't survive a single hit from anything without another 25 levels under their belt, well...

I got to the point where I suddenly had to float a third party(after grinding my teeth and getting a second party up to speed the first time they tell you to get a second party) and said gently caress it. I enjoyed Devil of Decline a lot more.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanos posted:

You don't need level 99 to succeed, but when you're suddenly told "Well hope you've got another 4 people leveled up!" and you look and see a bunch of level 5s on your back bench that won't survive a single hit from anything without another 25 levels under their belt, well...

I got to the point where I suddenly had to float a third party(after grinding my teeth and getting a second party up to speed the first time they tell you to get a second party) and said gently caress it. I enjoyed Devil of Decline a lot more.

You don't need people who can take a hit. I beat the 3 way dungeon with exactly three characters who could survive a single hit. That's what tanks are for. If your squishies can tank hits from normal enemies then you're way overleveled. There's a reason you revive and heal to full after every battle. Anyway, after the first party split where they were indeed level 1 and useless (but the enemies were easy), I started swapping around my party semi-randomly for dungeons to keep the levels balanced.

Devil of Decline was pretty boring so I just stopped playing partway through.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I think it's great. ZUN selling out is good for everyone. On top of whatever cut he presumably gets, it's more income and exposure for these indie developers, and even if they don't get an English release, being on the PS4 makes the games themselves much more accessible to foreign players than most dojin games.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 1, 2014

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010
it is to my understanding that Genius of Sappheiros boils down to "Use Alice and Mokou or use Cheat Engine"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

Devil of Decline was pretty boring so I just stopped playing partway through.

I think we have fundamentally different tastes because I found Genius's battle system to be a pretty mediocre Saga knockoff while I found the shikigami system in DoD to be a lot more interesting(even if it did homogenize the characters carrying those shikigami into "who has the best base stats").

FANSean posted:

it is to my understanding that Genius of Sappheiros boils down to "Use Alice and Mokou or use Cheat Engine"

By the end of the game you have to use pretty much every single character you ever get bar one or two.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

I've seen a lot of people say "sell-out" both negatively and positively so yeah. I'm happy this happened though.

According to Famitsu the first three titles immediately available are GoS (no mention of which version), Sky Arena (with its expansion), and Fushigi no Gensokyo 3 (the Aquastyle roguelike with Sanae), with mainline games and more doujin stuff to follow.

Kanos posted:

I think we have fundamentally different tastes because I found Genius's battle system to be a pretty mediocre Saga knockoff while I found the shikigami system in DoD to be a lot more interesting(even if it did homogenize the characters carrying those shikigami into "who has the best base stats").

While I liked both games I liked the GoS style customization infinitely more (and thus why I also like Labyrinth 2). Maybe it's just me but I never really had to grind since I regularly rotate party members anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
My biggest memory of GoS was an absurdly unfun battle against the RNG during the Yuyuko/Youmu boss. Sure is great randomly getting slaughtered in one turn, and not even by instant death.

EDIT: I think my record was losing in three turns. And this was after overleveling. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 1, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

My biggest memory of GoS was an absurdly unfun battle against the RNG during the Yuyuko/Youmu boss. Sure is great randomly getting slaughtered in one turn, and not even by instant death.

EDIT: I think my record was losing in three turns. And this was after overleveling. :negative:

I just changed my battle formation so Youmu couldn't hit everyone at once. And used anti-death accessories/resistance buffs.

But I'm the sort of person who's always incredibly disappointed if I beat a boss on the first try. Or if they don't kill me half a dozen times.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Zun hasn't sold out until he releases a game where the entire 200+ cast begins centering their lives and motivations around a single faceless male protagionist.

Because hey, it'd sell more.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Gensokyo high: dating sim

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Frankly I want to see the hilarity of someone trying to court Parsee or Seija.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

WarpedNaba posted:

Zun hasn't sold out until he releases a game where the entire 200+ cast begins centering their lives and motivations around a single faceless male protagionist.

Because hey, it'd sell more.
Rinnosuke obtains a cask of rare spirits from the outside world. Daily life grinds to a halt as the girls compete for a spot at the bar.

Playable characters are Reimu (wants to steal+auction the booze), Marisa (wants to steal+drink the booze), Erin (wants it for experiments), and Mima as the obligatory uninvolved playable.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Rinnosuke has a face and isn't a stand-in for greasy otaku :cmon:

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

WarpedNaba posted:

Rinnosuke has a face and isn't a stand-in for greasy otaku :cmon:
Both of these are trivially fixed.

Or use Youki.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Pureauthor posted:

Frankly I want to see the hilarity of someone trying to court Parsee or Seija.

Rune Factory games have had you romancing a character like Seija for at least three installments now.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

2hus courting unzan is where the real money is

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Oh, people are talking about an RPG I've beaten 8 times. A bit slow but I guess I'll put my HGH hat on and mass quote.

Hokuto posted:

It's really fun up until the point that you start dying to anything and everything.

This only kinda happens in a couple areas, and it's generally avoidable either with planning or just by killing everything first, which the game gives you plenty of tools to do.

Kanos posted:

You get a massive boost to EXP gains with low-level characters in later dungeons, so it shouldn't take more than like 6/7 battles to get them reasonably caught up for anything you'd need to do with them. And if you're stubborn, there's very few situations where you actually have to use all your party members. Tewi/Reisen and the 3 seafood sisters are specifically designed to be fought with sub-optimal parties. You can mostly avoid the party split sections by just killing every enemy on one path with your main party, then switching so your secondary party can just run for the switches unopposed. And both the main and expansion Final Bosses can be beaten with one party.

FANSean posted:

Alice is a very convenient tank in a game that has lots of high damage attacks, but I can only think of a few bosses where I'd call her nigh-mandatory, and you can probably still figure out a way around those. I dunno where you got Mokou though. maybe you're thinking of Sakuya who is actually the best party member in GoS by a mile

BlitzBlast posted:

You don't get to complain about RNG, you are literally the unluckiest person in the world.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Look man it took me 58 tries and an entire night to get past Yuyuko/Youmu, I get to bitch about it. :colbert:

But yeah, GoS is a Pretty Good Game. It has some eye-raising aspects in its design (most notably loving everything about Satori), but overall the rest of it more than makes up for that. And I just can't hate a game that literally lets you recruit a character by waiting until they come back home.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 2, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So some of the fangames being released are actually pretty good? Cool, I may actually play them then.

Games like Touhouvania or FMW probably have too many copyright problems to ever get officially released though. Right? :smith:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So some of the fangames being released are actually pretty good? Cool, I may actually play them then.

Games like Touhouvania or FMW probably have too many copyright problems to ever get officially released though. Right? :smith:

It's not actually called Touhouvania. I can't imagine there being a copyright on platforming and fighting vampires.

FMW is more of a well-done reskin though, so that could be a problem.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

It's not actually called Touhouvania. I can't imagine there being a copyright on platforming and fighting vampires.

Oh, I understood that but I still thought it was really heavy on references and homages to Castlevania. But in hindsight that probably isn't actually too much of a problem.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 2, 2014

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Clarste posted:

FMW is more of a well-done reskin though, so that could be a problem.

If Genius of Sappheiros gets a pass on its combat system being near-identical to Romancing SaGa, I don't foresee any problems with FMW.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hokuto posted:

If Genius of Sappheiros gets a pass on its combat system being near-identical to Romancing SaGa, I don't foresee any problems with FMW.

I feel like the music may be a bigger problem for FMW. Aren't a lot of the tracks partial remixes of SRW music? I'm not completely sure but wouldn't that pose a bit of a problem?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
They're recognizable, but nowhere near identical.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hokuto posted:

Um... I've only played the remake of Romacing Saga, but I can't see anything similar about them whatsoever, other than "turn-based combat". Actually, I've heard it called a Saga clone quite often but it doesn't resemble any of the games in the series I've played. Could you be more specific? Is it the Land Gauge? The commander slot? Bombs? Skill points?

Oh wait, it has LP so I guess it's near identical.

Less sarcastically, could I get an actual explanation? Because I've been curious for a while now.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For me, it's the formations.

The way you unlock special formations and hidden formations and have some that are better for tanking than others is pretty close to the original RS games. I'm not sure the remake uses them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I see. I still wouldn't call it "near identical" for purposes of being called a clone or running into copyright infringement though. It games couldn't borrow isolated mechanics from each other I think we'd all be worse off. I'm sure other games have used formation systems. Why aren't we calling it a Chrono Cross ripoff for its elemental fields?

Unlike, say, FMW which borrows not only the spirit system, but individual spirit abilities along with most other mechanics (why exactly would characters have "pilot points" and "weapon upgrades"?).

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's fair. The customization in GoS, in comparison, is pretty unique and I've not seen much like it elsewhere.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
GoS is a saga clone because Reimu does a flying kungfu kick pose when she's selected in battle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So I'm making my way through the last stages of FMW3 and I get the feeling that the last few stages were kinda rushed for whatever reason.

(FMW3 endgame spoilers)

Yamame and Kisume being fought as a dual boss is one thing, but both Parsee and Yuugi have more than enough gimmicks to both be fought as interesting full-fledged bosses in their own right instead of being fought together. And then Satori basically gets reduced to a midboss for Orin, with all of them packing a maximum of 2 spellcards.

I think they really could have done more with the SA plot.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
You're not wrong, but the last couple stages do their damnedest to make up for it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Holy poo poo that Last Remote remix. :allears: :allears: :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The gimmick for the SA portion of FMW3 is everything is in pairs. Kisume/Yamame, Parsee/Yuugi, Orin/Satori, and then Utsuho twice. It's actually pretty neat, since it keeps the pacing fast and results in some interesting bonuses (that mirror how the base game really liked having some puzzle spells).

Satori is hilariously bugged. Her ability (essentially Cyber Newtype) doesn't buff her hit/evade rates at all, and her auto-Alert straight up breaks when it comes to Twin attacks. See, it zeroes the hit rate of the person in front... but the person in the back attacks first. And for some inexplicable reason, getting hit by the twin attack also pops Alert.

The real question is why Rin is such a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Honestly I felt like the last bit of this game was generally much easier than the first and second games - the bosses don't have much more HP than they did in FMW2, and you have a LOT more resources for hurting them.