Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
My favourite one was the skeleton against the rocks just after Chloanne. "LISTEN CAREFULLY, BOULDER!" or something like that. Or "Sorrow, fat" (or something like that) in front of a mirror. Simplicity is the soul of wit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I understand what you're trying to do here I guess but the conclusion "gamers are misogynist" is not exactly new or compelling, nor is this particularly good evidence for it.

Maybe it's a ... joke?

gently caress, I don't even know what's real anymore.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ungeziefer posted:

I've been taking screenshots of orange soapstone messages near NPCs since release, finally got around to making a post about it: Player attitudes towards NPCs

(Warning: long)

I'm wanting to hear some thoughts from players.

Give it up , fatty

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 1, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
useless , but hole

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Silence, Beanpole.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Updated my playthrough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5vpov7RW90

I don't have anything to say...about tumblr...

Oh wait yes I do.

:dance:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Acidian posted:

This is my first time playing this type of game. I spent about 30 minutes trying to make a decent face for my character,

If you have done this you have already mastered the Souls games

quote:

picked knight because it seemed easiest, and after visiting the witches I died 10 times to some troll-thing in a "secret passage" up to the witches house.

You know how in most games you can expect to kill anything you come across? Yeah that doesn't work here. It's totally viable to kill the ogre with a fresh character (there's even a reward for doing so) but if it's your first playthrough it's not something I would suggest. Come back later when you have better gear and more levels.

quote:

It seems I am losing max health every time I die? I don't want to spend another half hour on character creation, but should I just reroll now while I am still early in the game?

Yes you are, no you shouldn't. You can reverse the lost max HP with human effigies, which are fairly

quote:

Edit: Also the controls are horrible, and remapping is hard.
I imagine you're playing with kb+m? Don't do that. This game is made to use a controller, and using a kb+m is like using a controller for a FPS; totally possible but much harder. If you're determined to continue using kb+m, make sure you disable the double click option wherever that is in the menus.

Also it'll take a bit to get used to the controls anyway on account of how different they are compared too other games.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Ungeziefer posted:

I've been taking screenshots of orange soapstone messages near NPCs since release, finally got around to making a post about it: Player attitudes towards NPCs

(Warning: long)

I'm wanting to hear some thoughts from players.

Visions of pointless... therefore Try silence.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Agreed that some of the messages lying around can be problematic but I personally wrote a lot of "tongue but hole" because it was in character for my RP.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Maybe they should've left in rating messages down. Granted, you couldn't tell what the rating of something even was without a Miracle nobody actually bothered with, but hey.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pick four keys within easy reach and bind your four attack actions to those four keys. Don't attack with the mouse because the double-click detection causes it to lag. They patched in an option to disable double-clicks, but it unsets itself every time you restart the game.

gently caress the haters, KB+M works fine. But the defaults suck.

Lalus
Jul 12, 2009
Genocyber just invaded my level 130 with a punch man and I wiped the floor with him. I did it for the SomethingAwful forums

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

I think I have a logitech pad I can use somewhere, will look when I get home. Thanks for the help! Thanks for the free shield tip as well, I felt like I was missing a block option, as I kept taking damage when I was trying to dodge the big troll thing and make it fall.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lalus posted:

Genocyber just invaded my level 130 with a punch man and I wiped the floor with him. I did it for the SomethingAwful forums

And I'm terrible with fist weapons. Still trying to get good at the roll punch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does blocking with a katana not actually do anything? I took exactly as much damage from the manikins as if I didn't. They can poke just barely faster than the katana swings so I figured I'd just block through it and heal after.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Acidian posted:

I think I have a logitech pad I can use somewhere, will look when I get home. Thanks for the help! Thanks for the free shield tip as well, I felt like I was missing a block option, as I kept taking damage when I was trying to dodge the big troll thing and make it fall.

Don't feel too bad about being unable to roll properly when fighting the troll, his hitbox is kinda wonky for some hits and it helps a lot to know his moves in order to avoid damage. Learning how to roll properly is much more valuable than using a shield, although I'd still keep it for your first play-through, no shame in blocking everything instead of rolling. A few bosses will punish you for over-reliance on shields, though. And note that a lot of the early game shields don't have 100% physical block.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261&pagenumber=744&perpage=40#post432230572

Here's some newbie tips I wrote up a while ago.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god I just got the joke with the Prowlers. One NPC to get the armour set from, you say?

You wonderful pricks, FROM.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Can sombody help me identify the missing pieces in this outfit?

- Crown of the Sunken King
- Xanthous Chest
- ?
- Engraved Gauntlets

- Weapons ?

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Is infusion worth it? I have a STR/FTH build at slvl 120 with around 40 in both, using a +10 Heide Knight Sword going through the DLC areas. Should I infuse it with a boltstone?

Any other weapon I should be looking at with my build?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my god I just got the joke with the Prowlers. One NPC to get the armour set from, you say?

You wonderful pricks, FROM.

Ivory King DLC won't have a Catarina chest, but you will face a 100-strong army of Catarina knights as a boss.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Zedd posted:

Can sombody help me identify the missing pieces in this outfit?

- Crown of the Sunken King
- Xanthous Chest
- ?
- Engraved Gauntlets

- Weapons ?

Those look like Wanderer Boots to me, and he's dual wielding Chaos Blades I think.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Secx posted:

Is infusion worth it? I have a STR/FTH build at slvl 120 with around 40 in both, using a +10 Heide Knight Sword going through the DLC areas. Should I infuse it with a boltstone?

Any other weapon I should be looking at with my build?

I've heard amazing things about that, I'd go for it. You can always undo it.

EDIT: And those are definitely Wanderer Boots.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

turtlecrunch posted:

Ivory King DLC won't have a Catarina chest, but you will face a 100-strong army of Catarina knights as a boss.

Boss music is Siegmeyer's laughter on a continuous loop.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

turtlecrunch posted:

I'd be absolutely fine with this as long as they can't cast Force.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

poptart_fairy posted:

Boss music is Siegmeyer's laughter on a continuous loop.

hmmm ummm hmmm

EDIT:

The easiest way to make faces in DS2, is to use the random feature. Unlike the first game you have an option whether you want to keep the changes or not. So you hit random until you get a face that's starting to go in the direction that you want and pick that one. Then you hit random a few more times starting with your new face until you get another change in the direction that you want. You basically repeat the process 3 or 4 times until you end up with an interesting non-mutant face.

White Phosphorus fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 1, 2014

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

turtlecrunch posted:

Three Beds of Chaos in a huge room, each has a 20% drop rate on Durgo's hat.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Updated my playthrough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5vpov7RW90

I don't have anything to say...about tumblr...

Oh wait yes I do.

:dance:

I didn't watch all of this, but did you know you can attack that four-faced flame fountain in the beginning to make it spin, so you can run past without taking any damage? You can also do this with some single ones mounted on tracks on the walls, further down in the tower, and use it to kill some problematic enemies.

I learned these things from messages and you seem to be offline. I assume this is purposeful to avoid invaders, but you're missing out on a lot. :shobon:

Acidian posted:

Dodging is actually superb in this game, better than blocking in the majority of cases if you're good at it. The problem you're having is because of a questionable decision to gate a basic gameplay mechanic behind stats- your roll isn't going to have many invincibility frames on it, and therefore won't be worth a poo poo, until you get your adaptability up somewhere near 20. Best to block everything except grab attacks until you put some points into it.

That, and dodging properly can take some getting used to. Dodging too early will often result in getting hit by the end of an attack as you start to get up.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can see what they were going for with agility - a way of making dodgy characters more distinct from their heavily armoured counterparts - but they made the default iFrames too low, and the effect of armour too cruddy to really make it a meaningful gameplay choice.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Anyone know the weight% at which a Floyd's Ring compares to Ring of Blades +1/+2?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ragnar34 posted:

Three Beds of Chaos in a huge room, each has a 20% drop rate on Durgo's hat.

The Hundred Kings.

quote:

Anyone know the weight% at which a Floyd's Ring compares to Ring of Blades +1/+2?

If you're under 60 max equip load, you get the maximum benefit from the ring of +50. The actual maximum limit has to be less than 60, not what you currently have equipped. The dragon and royal soldier rings count against Flynn's ring for this.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

doomfunk posted:

To get the most out of your Flynn's ring you need 60 equipment load. The closest you can get to that is 10 Vigor with the Third Dragon's Ring which will give you +50 atk like the RoB +2 does.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hot drat, first Alonne Knight I kill drops me a blacksteel katana, and back in Earthen Peak the first grave warden I killed gave me a silverblack spear. This is going great. Also I'm 200 hours into DS2 and can't stop doing runs help

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

turtlecrunch posted:

You will be able to choose between 100 duck sized Siegmeyers or 1 Siegmeyer sized duck.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I admire Siegmeyer.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If I beat Nashandra, will I be kicked into NG+ or can I manually do that later? I want to buy the DLCs, but can't right now, and don't want to run through most of NG+ to see the DLCs for the first time. I'd rather just fight and beat her now if that's possible.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Ravenfood posted:

If I beat Nashandra, will I be kicked into NG+ or can I manually do that later? I want to buy the DLCs, but can't right now, and don't want to run through most of NG+ to see the DLCs for the first time. I'd rather just fight and beat her now if that's possible.

After you beat Nashandra the credits roll and then you get sent back to Majula. There's an option at the bonfire to send you into NG+ but until then you can stay in NG and do whatever.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Ravenfood posted:

It's always manual, by selecting the respective option in the Majula bonfire menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stokes posted:

After you beat Nashandra the credits roll and then you get sent back to Majula. There's an option at the bonfire to send you into NG+ but until then you can stay in NG and do whatever.
Awesome, thanks.