Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

DLC 2 (Crown of the Iron King) probably has the best boss in the Souls series, for real.
(the optional one)

It's just a really fun fight in the vein of Artorias from DS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cathair posted:

In Iron King, you'll come across 'unfair' encounters where the solution is to awkwardly cheese it by sniping from above, or else just be That Good. And then you run into encounters like that where the enemies are highly resistant to arrows. And everything's magic-proof, so I hope you don't like caster builds or even infused weapons.

None of these things are true. Pretty much all of the ambush rooms are setup so you can whittle it down to a few enemies before going in yourself, usually via explosive barrels or the barrel dreglings. Elemental damage works fine against everything but the Fume Sorcerers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The 2nd DLC could be literally nothing but Smelter demon fights and I still like it more than post-Anor Londo in DS1. At least I actually have a chance at dying.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Tae posted:

The 2nd DLC could be literally nothing but Smelter demon fights and I still like it more than post-Anor Londo in DS1. At least I actually have a chance at dying.

The optional challenge level in Dark Souls 1 is getting the blue titanite slab in Crystal Cavern

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Genocyber posted:

Elemental damage works fine against everything but the Fume Sorcerers.
The Possessed Armors have high elemental resists, at least for magic. But the Ashen Warriors don't seem to be especially resistant, and they're the most common enemy by far. The Iron Warriors just have huge health pools.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The optional challenge level in Dark Souls 1 is getting the blue titanite slab in Crystal Cavern
Should've used your torc- oh. :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Today I learned that The Rotten is way easier if you pretend you don't have a shield, and that Lone Hunter Schmidt is capable of nothing at all. Did zero damage to either The Rotten or any enemy in Black Gulch, and also stood in the fire just long enough to kill his stupid rear end.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Invaded a dude as a bellbro, he had infinite HP. Another phantom and I kept backstabbing and countering him over and over again, he couldn't land a single hit on us. This went on for several minutes (we were both using repair powders at one point), until he stopped responding.

Then the game crashed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Today I learned that The Rotten is way easier if you pretend you don't have a shield, and that Lone Hunter Schmidt is capable of nothing at all. Did zero damage to either The Rotten or any enemy in Black Gulch, and also stood in the fire just long enough to kill his stupid rear end.

He is so pointless that I completely forget he exists until someone uses him and brings it up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Back before I learned that having 2 NPC's basically make NPC's pointless, I usually brought him and Lucatiel to fight the Sinner (because 3 against 1, right???). Worst boss questline fight ever, which is why I end up just killing them to get their gear because the boss fights are so much more fun without worrying.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Invaded a dude as a bellbro, he had infinite HP. Another phantom and I kept backstabbing and countering him over and over again, he couldn't land a single hit on us. This went on for several minutes (we were both using repair powders at one point), until he stopped responding.

Then the game crashed.

Somewhere he is posting about how he was simply trying to complete the belltower and then got invaded by two douche hackers with autoparry enabled. He turned on infinite health to defend himself, but even that didn't discourage their cheating ways as they restricted his movement until he had to quit out.

Really wish I could find the link for the 3 sunion bros that pinned an invader in an elevator and force-juggled him for approximately a minute until they finally WoTG'd him to death. Would be perfect for this post.

VVVVV Thanks, Pwnstar! You're doing dog's work.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 1, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yeah, seriously, kill those questline NPCs to get all their poo poo. You don't get anything special for finishing their quests "proper," just murder them and buy their poo poo off the hag. Even with healthbars 20 times bigger than yours they manage to loving die it's incredible.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Peanut3141 posted:

Really wish I could find the link for the 3 sunion bros that pinned an invader in an elevator and force-uggled him for approximately a minute until they finally WoTG'd him to death. Would be perfect for this post.

Don't forget that they kept alternating Acid Surge in there, too :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only NPC questline worth doing is the Pate/Creighton one because the only boss fight required is the Last Giant, and you get an easy Pate's Spear and access to the Engraved Gauntlets.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Peanut3141 posted:

Somewhere he is posting about how he was simply trying to complete the belltower and then got invaded by two douche hackers with autoparry enabled. He turned on infinite health to defend himself, but even that didn't discourage their cheating ways as they restricted his movement until he had to quit out.

Really wish I could find the link for the 3 sunion bros that pinned an invader in an elevator and force-juggled him for approximately a minute until they finally WoTG'd him to death. Would be perfect for this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IG9afBRnzo

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Sir Alonne is just wrecking me and my zwei. The leap stab that he randomly adds to his combos gets me 80% of the time. He swings once, swings twice, swings once, swings twSURPRISE MOTHERFUCKAH. I had an amazing run going got him to 1/3 his health without taking a hit and then he killed me with an easy looking attack I haven't seen before.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

He is so pointless that I completely forget he exists until someone uses him and brings it up.

I only summoned him because I helped someone else out and I thought he did something. Turns out it was just me. :v:

Anyway, wow, the Sunken City dlc is so much easier on this dex dude than my battlemage it's not funny. I'm only level 80 (compared to 170 battlemage) and the only things giving me and my dual falchion +5s (the Whitesteel Katana is still a bit weaker at 33 dex and +4 in comparison) trouble were those ghost dudes, and that was only because of how much health they had. I did a suicide run to get Flynn's Ring and survived! I didn't hit the Tower of Prayer though so I'll have to go back later. Also, I am in urgent need of large titanite chunks.

Also, dex is so much more fun and easier to do than in DS1.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So has the Monastery Scimitar been nerfed to have parry frames in line with the rest of the curved sword class of weapons now?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

So has the Monastery Scimitar been nerfed to have parry frames in line with the rest of the curved sword class of weapons now?

Yes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Back before I learned that having 2 NPC's basically make NPC's pointless, I usually brought him and Lucatiel to fight the Sinner (because 3 against 1, right???). Worst boss questline fight ever, which is why I end up just killing them to get their gear because the boss fights are so much more fun without worrying.

Wait, there's a second NPC summon for the Lost Sinner?

I almost never have NPC summons die, are you guys just taking a really long time to fight the bosses?

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 1, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
With that nerf, is there any reason to use the Monastery Scimitar anymore? The regular Scimitar weighs the same, has a higher counter bonus, does more poise damage, has lower requirements, has more reach, and has better base damage with lower scaling (lol dex scaling). Plus you don't have to Ascetic-grind for a Scimitar.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Paracelsus posted:

With that nerf, is there any reason to use the Monastery Scimitar anymore? The regular Scimitar weighs the same, has a higher counter bonus, does more poise damage, has lower requirements, has more reach, and has better base damage with lower scaling (lol dex scaling). Plus you don't have to Ascetic-grind for a Scimitar.

Well now I'm using the Red Rust Scimitar and the Drakekeeper's Sword and I just found out that you can also powerstance the two if so desired.

Niiiiiiice.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Paracelsus posted:

There is not. It'll probably be rebuffed by the third DLC though so who loving knows.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What the hell happened to that unnerf damage on Lightning Spears? Did they think it wasn't a mistake or what?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What do you mean? I thought the patch notes said they were decreasing the damage and that's it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wasn't the last patch supposed to be an increase to the damage for the lack of casts, but they put a minus instead to further nerf it?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It was decreased poise damage, not actual damage, if I recall correctly. The same goes for a couple of other spells beyond the lightning spear family.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I really like the Fume Ultra Greatsword, but I guess its requirements make it so that at any reasonable level you're probably not going to be able to powerstance it. I'm using it in my main hand with Greatsword on offhand and they work well together with the mix of vertical and horizontal swings. In that context, it's just like the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword but with more reach, higher base damage and scaling, and a small but significant counter bonus. I like the delayed vertical on RT, it's good at tagging guys rolling away. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

According to some patch notes I found on reddit, I guess you're right.

patch notes posted:

Increase the damage for the following Miracle through correction to status values
Lightning Spear
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Emit Force

While they don't seem better, they also didn't seem particularly worse from when I tried last. As it is you still won't want to bother with them, but that's no change.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Genocyber posted:

Pretty much all of the ambush rooms are setup so you can whittle it down to a few enemies before going in yourself, usually via explosive barrels or the barrel dreglings.

Yes, that's what I said. I say "there are places that require either very high skill, or being whittled down from afar, which I am calling 'cheese' because I dislike it", and you tell me I'm wrong because you don't technically have to whittle down all the enemies in the room, you can just cheese most of them and then attack as normal! That's... nice, I guess?

Also I have never gotten the barrel dredgelings to go anywhere near the enemies in the one room where it would be actually helpful for them to do so, rather than just funny. At least not without getting down there with them, in which case you're going to die if you continue loving around trying to herd dredgelings.

Genocyber posted:

Elemental damage works fine against everything but the Fume Sorcerers.

Upon further testing, magic and infusions do work fine against the common hollow warriors. I just assumed that they would be resistant as well because I had tried it on things that actually matter- the possessed armors and giants- and found it useless. The possessed armors seem to be highly resistant to every element except lightning. They're less resistant but still abnormally tough against piercing damage. This makes them difficult to counter-snipe at range, which was no doubt the point. However, in the places where they're a major problem, getting melee access to them is even more of a pain in the rear end than holding an extended sniper duel.

The giants are not entirely resistant to magic, but I wouldn't consider it practical against them. Others using dedicated sorcerer builds with a metric shitton of casts may disagree, but it sure as hell isn't 'fine'.

Normal enemies aside, magic is utterly worthless against the bosses. Anyone who doesn't believe me has only to skim over the last few pages of the thread for proof of that.

RBA Starblade posted:

I only summoned him because I helped someone else out and I thought he did something. Turns out it was just me. :v:

Anyway, wow, the Sunken City dlc is so much easier on this dex dude than my battlemage it's not funny. I'm only level 80 (compared to 170 battlemage) and the only things giving me and my dual falchion +5s (the Whitesteel Katana is still a bit weaker at 33 dex and +4 in comparison) trouble were those ghost dudes, and that was only because of how much health they had. I did a suicide run to get Flynn's Ring and survived! I didn't hit the Tower of Prayer though so I'll have to go back later. Also, I am in urgent need of large titanite chunks.

Also, dex is so much more fun and easier to do than in DS1.

If you have any magic weapons, the ghost guys are quite weak against them, relatively speaking! For reference, my +10 magic claymore was doing about twice as much damage per hit as my +5 Black Knight greatsword.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's because you were doing more magic damage period. The ghosts are completely immune to physical damage but not elemental, so if your weapon is split damage only the elemental is doing anything. Once you destroy the glowing red corpse associated with any particular ghost they become corporeal and drop the immunity to physical damage.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's because you were doing more magic damage period. The ghosts are completely immune to physical damage but not elemental, so if your weapon is split damage only the elemental is doing anything. Once you destroy the glowing red corpse associated with any particular ghost they become corporeal and drop the immunity to physical damage.

That makes sense. I had looked them up and read that they were weak to magic, which agreed with my own experience, but I guess random people on the internet don't know what the gently caress.

In this case, it seems like any infused weapon would be suitable against them in their non-corporeal state.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i did it i won i beat the fume knight twice

phantoms are loving worthless for this fight

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cathair posted:

That makes sense. I had looked them up and read that they were weak to magic, which agreed with my own experience, but I guess random people on the internet don't know what the gently caress.

In this case, it seems like any infused weapon would be suitable against them in their non-corporeal state.

Hey, they might be weaker to magic than lighting/fire/dark but yeah you're not gonna do much with any of those unless it's like the Moonlight Greatsword and dealing purely that damage. Check how much magic damage your Magic Claymore is doing in comparison to your Black Knight Greatsword. You can swing away all you want with a pure physical weapon but you'll never get anywhere.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

According to some patch notes I found on reddit, I guess you're right.

While they don't seem better, they also didn't seem particularly worse from when I tried last. As it is you still won't want to bother with them, but that's no change.

According to Mauvecow's translation, that is not a thing that was changed.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Just fought a guy in the arena who was dressed as a Desert Sorceress and just ran away the entire fight, occasionally casting a Lingering Flame until I killed him. Is this A Thing?

Ungeziefer
May 26, 2014

quote:

"What you're doing seems rather desperate."
I've been taking screenshots of orange soapstone messages near NPCs since release, finally got around to making a post about it: Player attitudes towards NPCs

(Warning: long)

I'm wanting to hear some thoughts from players.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Ungeziefer posted:

I've been taking screenshots of orange soapstone messages near NPCs since release, finally got around to making a post about it: Player attitudes towards NPCs

You take dumb messages far too seriously.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The red eyed horsey statues in the kings passageway are some of the creepiest monsters in the game. Especially the first time around when all of a sudden they're everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ungeziefer posted:

Did you take into account "hurrah for skeleton" and "don't give up skeleton" and how do you categorize them.