Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If that's a high enough speed bridge I bet some people did.

My first thought was "oh holy gently caress."

Did that pylon suddenly drop or was it gradual?

edit: content for ants

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

8ender posted:

First thing I thought was wether or not my car could jump that

Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not you could that they didn't stop to think if you should.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

One of my least favorite sounds is that of a bolt or socket dropping down through the engine bay, bouncing in a few random directions, and then... not hearing it hit the ground. :suicide:
Tools are friends, not FOD!

Edit: A fellow aerospace fastener manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, got in serious trouble for not following a packaging spec. Their box split, and the open-bagged parts (several hundred) tinkled down an up-ended turbine like the world's most expensive windchime. :allears:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 1, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Tools are friends, not FOD!

Edit: A fellow aerospace fastener manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, got in serious trouble for not following a packaging spec. Their box split, and the open-bagged parts (several hundred) tinkled down an up-ended turbine like the world's most expensive windchime. :allears:

It's beautiful, in a way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
e: f,b

NoWake fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 2, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

That's right up there with the Japanese earthquake warning chime for things that sound pleasant but actually mean horrible things have happened.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Less mechanical, more digital:

Presumably some kind of diagnostic mode.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Diesel is the debil!!!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Javid posted:

Less mechanical, more digital:

Presumably some kind of diagnostic mode.

Hope your car takes regular!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, even the 92 is a good deal for around here.

e: fun fact -- the gas right now is, normalized to contemporary purchasing power, the most expensive it's ever been in the USA, including times like the Great Depression and the '70s oil crisis. The cheapest gas in history, again by purchasing power, was in Clinton's second term. Way to go, Dubya.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 1, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm really looking forward to coming to the US to just be able to drive around without giving a poo poo about fuel economy. When you've done low-teens mpg at $8.50 for a US gallon, it still seems stupid-cheap.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Hope your car takes regular!

It does now.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

InitialDave posted:

I'm really looking forward to coming to the US to just be able to drive around without giving a poo poo about fuel economy. When you've done low-teens mpg at $8.50 for a US gallon, it still seems stupid-cheap.

My car gets 15-20mpg. Life is expensive right now.

To put it into perspective, for the amount of money I'd spent on fuel in the last 6 months, I could have bought, taxed, insured, and fuelled a second (more economical) car for the same number of miles. But where's the fun in that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was about to say something dumb about octane ratings in the US, then I remembered that you measure it differently from how Europe does and that 90 US octane is about equivalent to 95 here. :shobon:

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Wasabi the J posted:

quoting this for future updates.

Seriously though, find that bit. I almost ended up with a wrench grenading my fan after I installed a shiny new radiator; luckily, I forced myself to do anal-retentive tool clean-up before finishing the project, so I realized I was missing it pretty quick.

An ex co-worker of mine once lost a ratchet (I think). He screamed about how he could not trust anyone, someone was stealing his poo poo, etc. a week later, a car he had worked on came in on a flatbed, steering was locked up. Jammed in the steering of that vehicle was the ratchet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It does now.

Remember when "Regular" fuel was actually an important distinction? :smith:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Mmm, lead....

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Tactical Bonnet posted:

If that's a high enough speed bridge I bet some people did.

My first thought was "oh holy gently caress."

Did that pylon suddenly drop or was it gradual?

edit: content for ants

That's the Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge in Green Bay, WI.

Chemical contamination in the soil caused the concrete to basically fail and the sag was indeed sudden. The bridge carries I-43 so it's likely a 55 mph zone there.

This happened last fall, repairs are already completed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

I still say "fill it up with regular" when I go to a full-service gas station, and I haven't gotten leaded gas once! :bahgawd:

Kind of like how a manual transmission is still called a "standard" even though, what, at least nine out of ten cars on the road have automatics?

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011
Someone dropped off their Kia Soul for a flat repair today...

Looks like they need a new tire, let's see what's insi.....

Oh dear. Luckily it just glanced off the rim.

Then I get home today intending to cut the grass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJS421ooK2g

Yeah, not happening today.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is that spraying gas into the air filter box? :stare:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Can you even buy leaded gas anywhere in the U.S.?

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011

Godholio posted:

Is that spraying gas into the air filter box? :stare:

Yup, that's gas

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

QuarkMartial posted:

Race gas.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Not too sure, but I don't think so. They still sell lead additives though.

*e* Normal leaded gas anyways.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

QuarkMartial posted:

Avgas. It ain't cheap.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Phanatic posted:

Avgas. It ain't cheap.

Avgas is leaded?

gently caress me. It totally is. I can't believe that TEL is still used in anything these days, that's pretty disgusting given the health (and, you know, howling phantod craziness) issues it causes.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

sofullofhate posted:

Avgas is leaded?

gently caress me. It totally is. I can't believe that TEL is still used in anything these days, that's pretty disgusting given the health (and, you know, howling phantod craziness) issues it causes.

The availability of leaded avgas is decreasing very quickly as demand for it goes down. The compression ratios that aviation engines run at, and the designs of older engines, require TEL; there aren't any good replacements for the purposes of gasoline aviation engines. Lots of new stuff is designed to run on road gas, to decrease operating costs and environmental impact.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EightBit posted:

and the designs of older engines

Worth noting that a lot of the airplanes you see out there are old. Like, a lot of the high-wing Cessnas you see around were built in the 1950s and 60s.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
X-posting from the Benz thread, but...

Noeland posted:

So I may have killed an OM617 tonight. Going down the highway at 65 mph in the 300SD and I start losing power. Thinking "oh great, my ALDA backed out again" so I give it a little more throttle to see if I can maintain power or if I have to stop on the side of the road to readjust the ALDA. No sooner than I push it a little more does the RPM start bleeding down and the temp gauge starts rocketing. Oil gauge still at 3 bar, then the engine is down to 0, then at 1 bar. I coast to the side of the road, pop the hood and hop out. Open it up to see a very shiny black engine compartment. Oil everywhere, I find the source as the oil cooler inlet/oil pump outlet hose. The rubber hose popped out of the steel line crimped connection and had proceeded to happily drain my engine of its much needed engine oil. Can't be too sure, but I'd be willing to bet my rod bearings are toast. Any thoughts?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Replace the hose and put new oil (edit: and filter, duh) in. Look at the condition of your old oil, consider sending it for testing before starting the engine. If I remember correctly, Blackstone knows what rod bearing material looks like and will tell you on their report. Start the engine and see how it runs?

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 2, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Expect it to take 2-3 weeks for results, I just had a sample done.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Regardless of OM617 engine status, I'm tire of daily driving a beater Benz. Since I now make more than $9/hr I've finally got a good enough reason to buy an E46. If blackstone results come back in the clear, I will also have that winter project I've been looking for.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If the results come back and it's bad news, please continue to run the engine anyway so as to provide appropriate content for this thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EightBit posted:

The availability of leaded avgas is decreasing very quickly as demand for it goes down. The compression ratios that aviation engines run at, and the designs of older engines, require TEL; there aren't any good replacements for the purposes of gasoline aviation engines. Lots of new stuff is designed to run on road gas, to decrease operating costs and environmental impact.

100LL has a really odd market. Basically, only about 30% of the AVGAS-burning fleet requires a 100 octane fuel, whereas the other 70% of the fleet would be fine running on ethanol free 93 octane or something similar. (Most GA piston engines were/are certified to run on 80/87 leaded (dyed red) AVGAS. They burn 100LL because it's easily available.)

Problem is, that third of the fleet that NEEDS 100LL, is 70% of the annual 100LL consumption.

Many older radials are already running at reduced power settings in order to even be able to run on 100LL (originally certified with 115/145 leaded,) and the unleaded 100+ octane replacement fuels are generally hilariously expensive, often costing double 100LL, per gallon.

Mogas in the states is a non-starter nowadays, because of the chance of ethanol contamination (gently caress big-corn,) means that a single mistaken fill-up can ruin your entire fuel system, possibly including your fuel bladders and/or tank sealant. Cornfuel killed mogas STCs dead.

Most of the rest of the world doesn't even have AVGAS available, since GA isn't nearly as prevalent elsewhere, which means that it's mostly a uniquely US-centric problem, which also limits the market, and therefore the R&D capital available to replace 100LL.

It sucks. :eng99:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sagebrush posted:

Worth noting that a lot of the airplanes you see out there are old. Like, a lot of the high-wing Cessnas you see around were built in the 1950s and 60s.

And there's a conservatism in airplane engine designs for obvious reasons. It might take only a few % of rated output to keep a car cruising on the highway for hours, the same isn't true of something that needs to stay airborne.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

100LL has a really odd market. Basically, only about 30% of the AVGAS-burning fleet requires a 100 octane fuel, whereas the other 70% of the fleet would be fine running on ethanol free 93 octane or something similar. (Most GA piston engines were/are certified to run on 80/87 leaded (dyed red) AVGAS. They burn 100LL because it's easily available.)

Problem is, that third of the fleet that NEEDS 100LL, is 70% of the annual 100LL consumption.

Many older radials are already running at reduced power settings in order to even be able to run on 100LL (originally certified with 115/145 leaded,) and the unleaded 100+ octane replacement fuels are generally hilariously expensive, often costing double 100LL, per gallon.

Mogas in the states is a non-starter nowadays, because of the chance of ethanol contamination (gently caress big-corn,) means that a single mistaken fill-up can ruin your entire fuel system, possibly including your fuel bladders and/or tank sealant. Cornfuel killed mogas STCs dead.

Most of the rest of the world doesn't even have AVGAS available, since GA isn't nearly as prevalent elsewhere, which means that it's mostly a uniquely US-centric problem, which also limits the market, and therefore the R&D capital available to replace 100LL.

It sucks. :eng99:

We have easily obtained avgas here in NZ. My boss would use it in his old v8 holden; the majority of prop aircraft at the local airfield run on it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slavvy posted:

We have easily obtained avgas here in NZ. My boss would use it in his old v8 holden; the majority of prop aircraft at the local airfield run on it.

I was perhaps a bit cynical in saying most of the world. First-world countries tend to have distribution networks for it, but in quite a few places where you desperately need aviation access, it's not available. (Read: most of Africa and the impoverished and remote parts of South America.)

It's also more expensive than Jet-A, nearly everywhere.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
Isn't there a push for modern diesels to replace the ubiquitous Lycomings and Continentals that require 100LL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Melted Tarp posted:

Isn't there a push for modern diesels to replace the ubiquitous Lycomings and Continentals that require 100LL?

There's a few, yes. Some of them are quite promising, in fact.

The important thing to take away though, is that a majority of the ubiquitous flat four aircraft engines don't require 100LL in the first place, there just isn't another option.