Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

CareyB posted:

https://soundcloud.com/careyb/the-question

If I keep cranking out a track a week it'll be happy days. Can hear myself getting better each time it's great. Loving this one.. much more techno but still with the dark bass and trancey uplifting chords. What do you think.?

Very good layers and everything but the track never gripped me. It just felt like constant builds that never solidifed themselves, I'm not saying this like "there's no drop!?!?!" but just like in unanswered question you can feel the mood from the very start and I just want yours to pack a similar punch.

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/running

I sampled this 8 beat backing off a track on a nu-soul/jazz compilation I got and went with it. The usual calm repetition with variation forever + vocal cuts that I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Blowdryer posted:

Very good layers and everything but the track never gripped me. It just felt like constant builds that never solidifed themselves, I'm not saying this like "there's no drop!?!?!" but just like in unanswered question you can feel the mood from the very start and I just want yours to pack a similar punch.

https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/running

I sampled this 8 beat backing off a track on a nu-soul/jazz compilation I got and went with it. The usual calm repetition with variation forever + vocal cuts that I love.

Mate thanks, I know what you mean.. a mate said recently I'm really good at building tension and I def do that with that first break down and then the drop.. and then back to a breakdowm again, and I was thinking I'm right on the limit there... is there a particular moment where that happens for you, first or second big drops? Also curious if others think the same. Thanks for the feedback :)

fackmadgen
Jan 8, 2006
Would love feedback on any of these tracks

https://soundcloud.com/bbrodriguez/

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

If anyone's interested I have a series on YouTube called "Watch Me Produce" where I just film myself making a song from start to finish. It's kind of like a let's play for music production. Here's episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hnH2BZdSVM

breaks
May 12, 2001

fackmadgen posted:

Would love feedback on any of these tracks

https://soundcloud.com/bbrodriguez/

I liked Blade especially, wonky house music does it for me lately and the distorted part kind of puts it in that category. The other stuff doesn't have enough of an underground sound for me I guess, but it seemed pretty well produced. Don't have too many comments as I didn't really have any particular complaints that I felt weren't just matters of taste. Good job I'd say!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
So I took the advice of ML, after the thread I posted a while back and decided to work on song structure. I've also been working on mixing better. What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/drastictaiga/observation-draft

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Hey guys, I was wondering if fl studio and ni komplete usually go on sale in winter, I know I just missed a really good komplete sale just last week.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Komplete just had a major update to 10, so don't expect it to go on any significant sale for at least six months.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

Komplete just had a major update to 10, so don't expect it to go on any significant sale for at least six months.

Welp that explains the sale last week. I'll probably just buy all this stuff full price, it sounds worth it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm still searching for inspiration in my older works, so I tweaked the mix of an old remix I made of a friend's track. Mixed it entirely on headphones, on a train.

The mix isn't great but it's a lot better than it was three years ago. The waveform in Soundcloud looks really squeezed, so I'm a bit worried that I missed something glaring on my headphones. How's it sound?

https://soundcloud.com/centurion-beats/save-me-tonight-2014-mix

EDIT: I make bad music and kill threads. :(

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 15, 2014

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
In the last 12 months i've started about 70 tracks and only finished 2 of them. I got sick of throwing everything away, so I decided to export everything I've started in the last 2 months. what I think are the best ones at the front.
https://soundcloud.com/downpour/bits-and-pieces

It's not like I dont go back to try and work on them, a few of these are the result of multiple sessions - It's just the only times I've ever finished a track is when I get 90% of it done in a single 8-10hr session. The third is one I thought had most potential of all, but the amount of time i've spent trying to expand it, make other sections or a build that fits is quite astonishing. the ableton file is about 20 minutes long at this point with hundreds of disabled tracks. It loving sucks and is really depressing.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 28, 2014

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Welcome to the club!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
2 out of 70 isnt actually bad at all. this is how music is made! welcome and enjoy your stay.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Hi goons,

I recently took over A&R duties for a record label out of my hometown of Edmonton, Alberta. It's called Nuevadeep, and focuses on deep house, nu-disco and chillout.

https://soundcloud.com/nuevadeep

I've heard a lot of really great music here over the years, and thought I'd solicit some demos from you folks. Give our stuff a listen, and if you think your track would be a good fit, email me at xpander@gmail.com. Keep on writing your crazy space technos!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

wayfinder posted:

Welcome to the club!

man this club fuckin' sucks, I want to leave.

At my best i got 1 in 10 finished, I never had a slip this bad.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
If you don't have a huge folder full of half-ideas, sketches, unrealized synth patches, and really bad sounding drumloops then you're doing something wrong. Every now and then I dig through mine and laugh or cringe, sometimes both simultaneously.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I sense an idea for a thread here. PoSt Ur WoRsT LoOpS~~

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

cubicle gangster posted:

the only times I've ever finished a track is when I get 90% of it done in a single 8-10hr session.

This is exactly what ill.gates says in his workflow video series and it's so true. I've started restricting myself to doing things like library management, synth patch fuckery, sample digging, etc when I don't have more than a couple hours to work on stuff, and only doing actual songwriting when I know I can spend 8 hours or more on it to get most of the idea into ableton in a single session.

So far I've only written one thing this way but I finished it in three hours (just a simple mashup) so I think it's working for me. Another thing that really helps is to ditch anything that isn't working after trying for five minutes, it saves you from so many fruitless rabbit holes.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I sense an idea for a thread here. PoSt Ur WoRsT LoOpS~~

I have one that a buddy made while I was trying to teach him how to use Reason that's all ten triggers on the ReDrum machine hitting on every sixteenth note. He thought this sounded good and wanted to make something out of it.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Haven't made much but would agree on saying that anything that I don't finish today tends to stay unfinished. It's still good practice and I go back and steal bits for other tracks quite often so don't think it's bad to leave something there.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
I made a futurebass/chill trap remix for ODESZA - Say My Name

https://soundcloud.com/thevandalsquad/odesza-say-my-name-the-vandal-squad-remix

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
An instrument that I got an extended warranty for went kaput. I got about $600 back, but it's in the form of Guitar Center funny money.

I'd like to get something that will be good for controlling and switching between live loops. This is probably an idiotic thing to say, but since I do work on my laptop and don't want to risk it getting broken on stage or in transit to a gig, I'd like something that's pretty standalone and not just a VST. Any suggestions?

I saw a live clip of Grimes using this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OT2_VhX4TY

And it looks like Roland made a follow-up like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9W87DdYlE

If Guitar Center sold iPads, I think I'd just get an iPad. Maybe I'll try to trade somebody the gift card for real money.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
how can i get a large-sounding (for lack of a better term) bass like the one here? so far i've tried doing it in ableton analog with dual sines and adding reverb but it just doesn't have the same thunder to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDuPCj0NKg&t=355s

i know some of it is the kick drum, i'm talking about the bits that aren't.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

rectal valium goop posted:

how can i get a large-sounding (for lack of a better term) bass like the one here? so far i've tried doing it in ableton analog with dual sines and adding reverb but it just doesn't have the same thunder to it.

I think it's a low passed saw or supersaw with a filter envelope rather than a sine, there's still some low harmonics. If it's a sine its probably saturated to hell.

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread

rectal valium goop posted:

yeah, i think what the guy above said is right. you can hear it grinding, so there's definitely some beating present that you get when toothed waves are rubbing against each other.

I managed to get a similar sound in Serum using two low octave square waves, the square sub bass osc and some distortion effects (diode clipping). then a low pass filter and reverb

it ain't perfect, but: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8kq3zk6gn91nc8/bass.mp3

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Brony Car posted:

An instrument that I got an extended warranty for went kaput. I got about $600 back, but it's in the form of Guitar Center funny money.

I'd like to get something that will be good for controlling and switching between live loops. This is probably an idiotic thing to say, but since I do work on my laptop and don't want to risk it getting broken on stage or in transit to a gig, I'd like something that's pretty standalone and not just a VST. Any suggestions?

What sort of music are you making? Is it mainly that you want to load up a bunch of loops/samples in a similar fashion to an Ableton Session, or are you looking to do more 'programming' type stuff? When it comes out (I'm English so have no idea if GC funbux expire) this http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/korg-unveils-new-electribe-grooveboxes-606668 could be worth a look.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more
yeah i have no idea why i didn't think of that. thank you both

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
So I noticed theres a huge Ableton thread with tons of replies and no FL Studio thread. Is Ableton just that hugely popular over FL Studio?

Maybe sometime I'll mess with Ableton Lite to see what the fuss is.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

EAB posted:

So I noticed theres a huge Ableton thread with tons of replies and no FL Studio thread. Is Ableton just that hugely popular over FL Studio?

Maybe sometime I'll mess with Ableton Lite to see what the fuss is.

I started on FL studio when I was 17, made the switch to Ableton a few years ago and never regretted it. If I had to sum up the difference as concisely as possible it would be "more professional". It's just so much more organized and intuitive.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Anyone here in the know on production headphones? Had some Beyerdynamic DT770s on my list to buy for nighttime producing for a while, but want to check that there aren't any better options I should look at that may have come out recently. Similar price range, £100 - £200.

Speaking of which, I'd love to get a pair of Audeze LCD-Xs down the line. The amount of producers I respect who are raving about them is insane. Way too pricey for me to justify for another couple years though.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
Here's a spooky halloween remix I just (sort of) finished up. Trying to incorporate some more nontraditional sounds and textures into weirdo minimal grooves. Please feel free to have at it.

https://soundcloud.com/selfishdudes/shake-it-off-taylor-swift-selfish-dudes-go-big-and-go-home-bootleg

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Hey dudes. I'm looking at a Maschine MK1 on ebay to gently caress around with, would you guys trust an ebay seller to deactivate their software? I'm kind of 50/50 on it.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
I've been wanting to start making fun electronic songs a la Celldweller, but I have no idea where to begin. I've only used "organic" type instruments before. Are all the bass/synth type sounds actual hardware? What should I go with for some beginner learning/versatile use stuff? Point me in the right direction, Goons!

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

NovaLion posted:

I've been wanting to start making fun electronic songs a la Celldweller, but I have no idea where to begin. I've only used "organic" type instruments before. Are all the bass/synth type sounds actual hardware? What should I go with for some beginner learning/versatile use stuff? Point me in the right direction, Goons!

They can be hardware, but that's expensive! Most people deal with software only synths unless they have the money to toss out for hardware. Which is fine, because software sounds just as good; it's what you do with it that matters. I would recommend getting Ableton and using it's built in synthesizers to start off with. Ableton is a very organized DAW with a giant community based around teaching beginners how to use it. If you can spend a bit more money, I'd recommend getting Native Instruments Massive for your first third party synth, because just like Ableton, there's a lot of tutorials out there to help you learn it.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
Hey ya'll, I have a new EP called "omens" out on my bandcamp page.

It's some more dark instrumental electronic stuff if you're into that sort of thing.

I have fun with the instrumental thing but I want to mix it up and add more to it, not sure where to go with it though. I've considered collaborating with people because I can't sing, but I've also considered doing the whole "sampled voices all chopped up and weird sounding" route too. Is that lame? I think some of it can be neat and I think it could fit in with some of what I'm doing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm fairly sure i saw an 'in the studio with Celldweller' vid and he has like 20 grand worth of modular synths. A midi controller keyboard will most likely come with Ableton Live Lite, then Google yourself some free drum loops etc and maybe a vst or 2 (keep it simple to start with, it's easy to get overwhelmed when you have too many options) and you can start to learn. Ableton has a great set of tutorials inbuilt, there's a tonne of YouTube vids on it (check out Tom Cosm) and whilst the lite version is limited in how many audio/midi tracks and devices you can have in a project, this can initially be useful as it means you aren't layering up a million things to the detriment of 'the song'. You may also need an audio interface to record your guitar for that industrial metal feel.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Hello, this thread. I recently bought a decent PC that came with Reason 5 (among other things) and I borrowed a little 02 midi controller. Could somebody point me towards some tutorials or books for the complete beginner (in both the technical and music theory aspects)? If it's a .pdf, even better. Also thinking on doing one of those coursera things in music production, anybody have any experience with these?
Haven't really thought about what kind of stuff I want to make, but that's probably something that coalesces as you learn. I like complicated beats and sampling.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Hey gang! So, after getting into tech house, techno, and DnB for awhile, I've decided to try to learn some other stuff and settled on trap music. I bought a bunch of compilations, some Gucci and Wakka Flocka tracks, and have been trying to deconstruct and reconstruct some of signatures. The problem I'm running into is this: that awesome trap 808 sub-bass rattles my whole car on THEIR stuff but when I put MY stuff in my car, it sounds like thin weaksauce wiener music. I'm familiar (if not proficient) in the elements of mixing and mastering, with the idea of carving out room in the mix for frequencies, etc. But even on the first trap-style drop I have in my current project, I have a build up drop into just a gnarly sub with a little high frequency bells on top, nothing to muddy up the mix. Without inviting you all over to my office for pizza and beer so you can see my Ableton project, are there any tricks you guys have learned to making hip hop style sub-bass really powerful? I'm using an 808 kick, some compression, and a little bit of distortion from CamelCrusher. I could just bump up the volume I guess but I feel like I'm missing a piece to hip hop subs. If you found any particular YouTube tutorial helpful, pass it along too.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Are you using an 808 sample that has infinite sustain? That really loud room shaking sound comes more from the single note sub bass sustain than it does from the initial kick transient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

d0grent posted:

Are you using an 808 sample that has infinite sustain? That really loud room shaking sound comes more from the single note sub bass sustain than it does from the initial kick transient.

Yeah, I cranked the sustain up all the way. I layered just a little punch at the beginning but I've been letting the 808 sub kick do most of the work. In my studio headphones it sounds powerful but after exporting to an MP3 to play in the car, it sounds weak as poo poo compared to the others. I think I just really need to focus on mixdown and mastering it a lot better. My old nemesis strikes again!

• Locked thread