Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Acidian posted:

I omw to the third bonfire in the giant forest thing. I have a broken sword I am using now as backup, it has 40/40 durability.

Just now I killed 3 enemies and it was broken...

I am not just swinging my sword willy nilly.

Pick a mace because its a rather broken weapon if it hasn't been nerfed recently. Most enemies drop in one or two attacks so there is less of a chance that the absolutely idiotic corpse hitting mechanic fucks you over. There is a free morning star in the cliffs of Majula which is pretty good.

The weapon degradation system is super stupid, works completely outside any sort of logic and just makes the game more tedious to play, so what you should do is make a mage character or a cleric whom both have projectile spells they can use to kill enemies and thus go around the degradation system to some extent. You can also get a bow from the blacksmiths house and use that to abuse the circa 1995 AI which is prohibited from following you too far and which also doesn't know how to take cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

THE loving MOON posted:

Once you get over the hump and are working with a build you like, you're gonna be hooked. 250 hours across 6 separate playthroughs here. :shepface: The early game is just really hard because A) you have to learn what to do, and B) you're fighting against the math until you hit a decent level. Once you have 20 adaptability, you can beat just about anything in the game on skill alone.

There are definitely a lot of fun elements to the game. I am having a lot of fun if you disregard the durability problems, but the durability problem is pretty crippling for me at this moment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Acidian posted:

There are definitely a lot of fun elements to the game. I am having a lot of fun if you disregard the durability problems, but the durability problem is pretty crippling for me at this moment.

If you can make it to the Lost Bastille, there is a bracing knuckle ring in there which will help with that problem. I nearly always have it (or its +1 or +2 versions) on.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Acidian posted:

Other than moving up behind enemies and hitting them regularly, is there any special combo you need to press for backstab? If not, it kinda only works if they are facing the wrong way?

I have a dagger, but it is broken. Every time I am back in town it's to repair my broadsword, and then I only have enough souls to do that.

I went back now though when I had some souls, and bought a mace and reinforced it. Is it possible to reinforce it past +1?

Edit: I have no idea how a sword can break after 3 enemies, but I am not kidding when I say that. Maybe I can try and restart.

Man, there just has to be something going on because you've broken more weapons than I have in my almost 150 hours of playing. If your sword breaks in 3 hits, something's not right.

Is is possible to have the game running at more than 60 FPS? That might explain it, but I'm grasping at straws here.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm just confused as to how on earth your weapons are breaking so impossibly fast. Do you have some 120Hz 3D display or something? I could maybe buy it if you had 4x degradation due to 4x framerate, but the game is coded for consoles with a PC port as an afterthought so you'll probably have other problems on top of that.

As an extreme solution I'd say use Cheat Engine to turn off weapon degradation, because that really shouldn't be happening.

Also don't play as a caster. Not until you've completed the game once anyway. Dark Orb spam is effective, but you need to pour a huge amount of levels into ATN, INT and FAI to make it work and your melee is going to be awful as a result, which requires you to know how to adjust your play style accordingly.

Maybe dip your toe into magic skills once you're into the lategame and feel like you can spare the levels, but with the metagame being what it is right now magic is best used for weapon buffs and little else.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Acidian posted:

Other than moving up behind enemies and hitting them regularly, is there any special combo you need to press for backstab? If not, it kinda only works if they are facing the wrong way?

No, just do a normal attack when you're directly behind an enemy. You can't have your shield up when you do it, and it has to be a normal (light) attack. The alignment is often variable, play with it enough and you'll get a 'feel' for how you can catch enemies at the right moment while both of you are still turning. Unless the enemy is particularly slow, backstabbing is best done while they're recovering from an attack or something else that immobilizes them.

Seeing it done on video would probably help, but at the moment I don't know of any DS2 LPs that would be good for a newbie to watch.

As for weapons breaking, hitting walls and stuff will also damage weapons faster than normal, and you may be doing that a lot with the broadsword's wide swings. However, it doesn't do as much durability damage as hitting corpses, so that can't account for the whole of your problems here. I've been playing around with a couple of new characters lately, and while my un-upgraded dagger wears out to the point where I need to swap to another weapon halfway between bonfires, I'm not having issues of the severity that you are. Sorry man, we don't know what the hell.

Try to keep a close eye on the little narrow red bar under your weapon's icon in the equipped items display, the four squares to the lower left. That's your weapon's current durability- try to swap out to another weapon when that bar gets low, so you can at least stop hemorrhaging souls.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Acidian posted:

The durability problems persist throughout the game, although later on you have a better access to repair powders which help to alleviate that. You could go and get the soapstone(s) in forest of the giants and do some coop to get through areas by dividing the enemies to a group of people instead of killing them all by yourself. Now problem there is that if you hit one of your allies, which does nothing to them by he way, you lose -2 or more durability, so ganging up on some enemy or boss can actually make you break your weapons even faster than when playing alone.

For example, two people ganging up on an enemy, player A deals the killing blow just before player B, who did a horizontal sweep attack just less than a second before. The weapon of player B now goes through the enemy corpse and player A, and you now have 4 points less durability for no loving reason at all.

Before I learned about this stupid mechanic I thought there was some curse placed on my character or that the ultra greatswords I was using were super lovely. But turns out I was playing coop and doing horizontal sweeps because that is what those weapons are made for but too bad I was playing Dark Souls 2 so it was back to the bonfire after 7 or so enemies.

I know I'm really harping on this poo poo, and I have done so previously, but for fucks sake. The game is constantly throwing encounters with multiple enemies attacking you at once, but at the same time punishes you for doing any sort of sweep attack that would hit multiple enemies because your weapons hitbox might fly over the hitbox of a dead dog or hollow you killed previously, or accidentally hit the arm of your summon buddy, which does nothing to him so why even make that into a punishable offense?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i have never had a weapon break except when i was pvping and didn't bonfire after ~3 fights, and it only had 30 durability, and also when i spent 20 minutes wiggling santier's spear thru corpses

how is this happening to you
record a vid i wanna see so i can correct your game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Tbh durability has rarely been a problem for me. It comes up every once in a while but not too bad imo.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
The only weapons with which I've ever had an issue with durability are the Sanctum Mace and the Washing Pole which I think each have only 20 durability. But by that point in the game I could use the Bracing Knuckle Ring +1/2 and carry repair powders.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SHISHKABOB posted:

Tbh durability has rarely been a problem for me. It comes up every once in a while but not too bad imo.

Shut the gently caress up Genocy-...oh.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Like in the early parts of my runs I find myself running into it, especially on my first play through when I had no idea what I was doing. But I mean I dunno it's just like something that doesn't happen every time I go out and kill stuff? I'd call it 1 in 20, excluding areas with equipment degrading stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've only ever had one or two things break, not including through corrosive urns or whatever. In my most recent run with dual katanas I had them get close a few times, but never had them actually break. Even when going through a full area and tackling the boss. So long as you rest at bonfires regularly it's not something that should happen, even with fragile weapons.

It is smart to keep a backup weapon handy when using low durability weapons before you can get to the Bracing Knuckle Ring, though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If it weren't for the fact that it isn't a DLC weapon I'd call Santier's Spear the best bit of trolling in the entire game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When poison is damaging an enemy is it pointless to keep hitting them with more poison stuff? When I get hit with poison while poisoned it doesn't seem to do anything.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

SHISHKABOB posted:

When poison is damaging an enemy is it pointless to keep hitting them with more poison stuff? When I get hit with poison while poisoned it doesn't seem to do anything.

correct. once you're poisoned you can't fill up the bar any more, until it depletes

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

I'm just confused as to how on earth your weapons are breaking so impossibly fast. Do you have some 120Hz 3D display or something? I could maybe buy it if you had 4x degradation due to 4x framerate, but the game is coded for consoles with a PC port as an afterthought so you'll probably have other problems on top of that.

As an extreme solution I'd say use Cheat Engine to turn off weapon degradation, because that really shouldn't be happening.

Also don't play as a caster. Not until you've completed the game once anyway. Dark Orb spam is effective, but you need to pour a huge amount of levels into ATN, INT and FAI to make it work and your melee is going to be awful as a result, which requires you to know how to adjust your play style accordingly.

Maybe dip your toe into magic skills once you're into the lategame and feel like you can spare the levels, but with the metagame being what it is right now magic is best used for weapon buffs and little else.

I was just about to give up now. I had a break, got some food, booted up the game to give another try at getting to the 3rd fire on the first map. I skip some mobs by just running past them, then I get to an area I had not been in, so I start killing things. 13 mobs and my broadsword breaks. I have been at this for like 3 hours. 13 mobs and my sword breaks, and the map has 35 mobs up to the point I have gotten. Assuming the map has 60 mobs total before the next fire, and that I am not skipping any mobs, it means that I need 5 broad swords with me. (or 20 broken ones) :wtc: Yeah, I think I am going to download Cheat Engine and see if that works.

No, the frames is not an issue, I was wondering about this as well so I checked with FRAPS. DS2 is locked at 60 fps.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
how the f is this even possible

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
You have the syphilis? I'm asking because some of those guys might not really be there. Get checked maybe?

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Actually, I think I might be gamer+. :smith:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
wait, third fire? The third bonfire (The Place Unbeknownst) is an optional area that you can't access until a bit later in the game. The first fire is called The Crestfallen's Retreat and the second is called Cardinal Tower.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Acidian posted:

I'm so sorry for your burden. I know what it's like. :(

Anyway I have no idea why your poo poo is breaking so quick. Do you miss and hit the wall a lot? You should definitely try to go for some backstabs, for most early game enemies that'll kill them right off regardless of what you're using.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

wait, third fire? The third bonfire (The Place Unbeknownst) is an optional area that you can't access until a bit later in the game. The first fire is called The Crestfallen's Retreat and the second is called Cardinal Tower.

There's also that bonfire near the Giant Seed spawner.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Even if you hit walls or corpses a lot your weapons don't break that fast.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

Soldiers rest. Try picking up the bastard sword while you're there, that'll up your game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Flytrap posted:

There's also that bonfire near the Giant Seed spawner.

That third bonfire can't be accessed until he beats the boss there.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

THE loving MOON posted:

Soldiers rest. Try picking up the bastard sword while you're there, that'll up your game.

whoops, that's the one I meant. The Place Unbeknownst is not accessible until um.... WAY later.

Even so, that's a strange recommendation to make. Anybody who is having trouble getting to Cardinal Tower is going to get their poo poo utterly ruined by the enemies in the Soldier's Rest area, and the Bastard Sword is going to take some major stat investment before it becomes usable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you really want a good weapon you should just pick up the mace in Majula.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Jesus Christ, powerstancing Blacksteel Katanas with Flynn's Ring and the Ring of Blades is so good. It's amazing how much better and easier this is than trying to work with sorcery builds.

e: I used a human effigy at the McDuff bonfire and it turned off online play in the Saltfort too. That's weird.

I might have to do this myself eventually, depending on how the new DLC hits me. It's weird, my entire NG was a strength build with some pyromancy to taste and yet I've been going through NG+ long enough that I've completely forgotten how I built it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

whoops, that's the one I meant. The Place Unbeknownst is not accessible until um.... WAY later.

Even so, that's a strange recommendation to make. Anybody who is having trouble getting to Cardinal Tower is going to get their poo poo utterly ruined by the enemies in the Soldier's Rest area, and the Bastard Sword is going to take some major stat investment before it becomes usable.

Two-hand it. :colbert:

And you can totally just make a suicide run through there, that's what I just did yesterday on my CoC guy. I used it until I remembered that I forgot to use my petrified something. Now I've got a demon greathammer, and it trivialized everything before the Lost Sinner. :madmax:

Edit: Except the ruin sentinals. I've played this game through half a dozen times, and I still think they're one of the hardest bosses in the game for the time you get to them. It's easier if you summon guys, but then you run the risk of having some retard knock off the first one before you're ready for the other two.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 1, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Flynn+Ring is my current NG+ build with a Esperada and it just melts enemies really fast. I can do about 1200-1500+ in a quick combo, before I add Old Leo Ring for extra damage.

Yesterday I went dedicated on a Hexer and despite beating the game before as one, never realized Amber Herb restores uses on ALL your spells :doh:

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Acidian posted:

By the way, what covenant are you in? If you joined the covenant of champions, that does make the game harder on you. You might also consider two-handing your weapon, since the extra damage would mean fewer swings required.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Acidian posted:

my friend, I would like you to compare your playstyle to mine using the exact same equipment, and teach yourself to Own Hard, and become a god of Dark Souls 2, and upload videos better than Genocyber, but also I really want to know how you're having such a hard time.

if you're blocking with your weapon, Don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNltgXrlClY

ps I need Pro Tips on how to not have my audio desync, it's really freaking bad that every video has it shifted by a second.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can someone remind me where to find the key that opens up the mansion in Majula?

Also just picked up the puzzle sword. I have 45 str/ 35 dex and 20 int. Should I keep it as is or infuse it with something?

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

keyframe posted:

Can someone remind me where to find the key that opens up the mansion in Majula?

Cale gives it to you after you talk to him.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

keyframe posted:

Also just picked up the puzzle sword. I have 45 str/ 35 dex and 20 int. Should I keep it as is or infuse it with something?

After the 2nd fog gate in the forest, the big open area with the archers etc, boulder trap, cale, video games

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I like to think that the reason he's acting all funny on the ground is because he's extremely embarrassed that he might have almost killed you.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Acidian posted:

I was just about to give up now. I had a break, got some food, booted up the game to give another try at getting to the 3rd fire on the first map. I skip some mobs by just running past them, then I get to an area I had not been in, so I start killing things. 13 mobs and my broadsword breaks. I have been at this for like 3 hours. 13 mobs and my sword breaks, and the map has 35 mobs up to the point I have gotten. Assuming the map has 60 mobs total before the next fire, and that I am not skipping any mobs, it means that I need 5 broad swords with me. (or 20 broken ones) :wtc: Yeah, I think I am going to download Cheat Engine and see if that works.

No, the frames is not an issue, I was wondering about this as well so I checked with FRAPS. DS2 is locked at 60 fps.

There's a glitch where if you strike an enemy that is currently dying or dead, it deals 1 durability damage every frame the weapon is in contact with it. Are you flailing at dying enemies or hitting lots of corpses?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

keyframe posted:

Do not infuse it. The majority of its damage comes from its dex scaling, which is tanked if you infuse it. Upgrading it also isn't a super big priority, since there's only ~20 difference in base damage between +0 and +5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Promised Walk of Peace or whatever that was at the end of the Iron Passage is a real dick move.

e: Oh I can't run past anything here because they all have super-tracking. Great.