Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
This really is starting to feel like grog bingo.

TKIY posted:

Sorting out maximum damage for n Skeletons versus a fighter swining a +n sword is great unless the critter has DR, is standing in a flame pit, is immune to normal weapons, etc. My point isn't that your numbers are flawed, it's that those perfect scenarios don't always occur in a game.

It doesn't have to be perfect to come up, stop with the pedantry.

TKIY posted:

Our goal is to game not to win. Hard to put it any more precisely than that.

One class has very limited options and minimal ways to affect the game world. The other class has vastly more options and almost unlimited ways to affect the game world. One type of class (martials) have a handful of pages devoted to them, one type of class (casters) have half the book devoted to them.

Are you honestly saying, that you both don't see why people feel casters are vastly more versatile and have an increased chance of getting to meaningfully use their abilities (and in so doing affect the game) than a fighter and that you're not just trolling, because I really fail to see how you could have read this entire thread and still be trotting out the same tired defences of caster supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012

OtspIII posted:

I do think that non-quantitative design choices are a little undervalued in this thread, but it is a solid point that a lot of the 'fun' that you feel from a game is coming from your friends/etc and that you'll be able to have fun even when the game's rules are actively working against you. A lot of the time even the things that seem most fun short-term end up sapping way more fun away long-term.

Like, take stats rolling. I love slightly randomized character generation, and in a lot of ways random stat rolling is great at that--a set of randomly rolled stats suggests a type of character that you probably wouldn't have made otherwise, but also lets you interpret it however you want. I really like having some element in character creation that knocks me out of my rut when building a personality/backstory/whatever, and even just a little thing like stats actually does a pretty good job of that. I can't give a qualitative explanation for how rolling for stats makes the game more fun for me, but it's absolutely something that does add fun for me compared to stat-buy (as a note, I come from a stat-buy background and always looked down on random rolling, and was only converted recently).

However, I'd never run a 3e+ D&D game with randomly rolled stats. All the problems people are giving here are too real. I firmly believe that rolling for stats adds fun, but massive long-term gaps in effectiveness between characters destroys more fun than random rolling could ever add. What I want is a system where you have this back and forth between the game system giving you facts about your character and you interpreting them where the random elements don't sometimes just randomly gently caress you over. I think people are a bit too dismissive of the ups-sides of randomness, but they're absolutely right with all the down-sides.

That's the thing, if random rolling answers the question "What sort of fun, interesting character will I be?" it can be awesome. Hell, you can sort of do this in 5e by rolling on the backgrounds tables. None of the results are objectively better or worse than any of the others, and it may give you ideas you wouldn't have come up with on your own.

The only question randomly rolling attributes in D&D answers is "How arbitrarily more or less effective will my character be?"

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Oh yeah, well-made random generation can be quite fun. But rolling the core stats in modern D&D is not that.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

TKIY posted:

What feels like an RPG? Tough question. For us, it's sitting around, unwinding and pretending to be someone else for a while. Rules are good, but they are guidelines to point in some sort of direction and provide a setting for a fun time.

Then, honestly, you'd probably be better off playing something extremely rules-light. I believe *World has come up; I run Fate and that's pretty much narrative-first.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TKIY posted:

Our goal is to game not to win. Hard to put it any more precisely than that.

And the problem isn't that casters "win," it's that they get five times as much game as the sword-swingers and door-openers.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Stephen King once said that the thing that matters in a story is for it to keep the reader interested and everything is secondary. That's pretty much the same on games.

My 'rulebook' is actually just an album of titty animes. They'll be none the wiser!!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Really Pants posted:

And the problem isn't that casters "win," it's that they get five times as much game as the sword-swingers and door-openers.

They are more versatile, sure. But they can't cover all the bases by themselves all the time unless you are giving constant short rests and you are designing scenarios that don't include the unique abilities and traits of the other characters in the party.

PST posted:

This really is starting to feel like grog bingo.

4e grog is pretty thick here too, don't you think?

PST posted:

It doesn't have to be perfect to come up, stop with the pedantry.

I'm not saying it has to be perfect, I'm saying that you can't take into account all the variables when doing strict numerical comparisons, so they don't always represent the whole picture. Surely you can agree with that?

PST posted:

One class has very limited options and minimal ways to affect the game world. The other class has vastly more options and almost unlimited ways to affect the game world. One type of class (martials) have a handful of pages devoted to them, one type of class (casters) have half the book devoted to them.

Are you honestly saying, that you both don't see why people feel casters are vastly more versatile and have an increased chance of getting to meaningfully use their abilities (and in so doing affect the game) than a fighter and that you're not just trolling, because I really fail to see how you could have read this entire thread and still be trotting out the same tired defences of caster supremacy.

No, I'm saying that a versatile caster doesn't make the game un-fun for everyone else, unless you and your group plays in such a way that only best character wins. Why is it trolling to disagree? Yeah Fighters are more limited than mages in many instances, but Fighters aren't mages. They have a different role and sometimes people want to play that role regardless of how much the damage per round numbers work out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

TKIY posted:

the unique abilities and traits of the other characters in the party.

Good one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TKIY posted:

They are more versatile, sure. But they can't cover all the bases by themselves all the time unless you are giving constant short rests and you are designing scenarios that don't include the unique abilities and traits of the other characters in the party.

What unique abilities do martials have that a group of just casters can't accomplish?

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Jesus christ this thread is a trainwreck.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sorry, I'm not going to continue this. It's pretty clear that you aren't allowed to enjoy the game because a Wizard breaks everything.

Is there a thread somewhere to discuss the game for those that want to actually play it?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TKIY posted:

Yeah sorry, I'm not going to continue this. It's pretty clear that you aren't allowed to enjoy the game because a Wizard did it.

You won't be missed.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Slimnoid posted:

You won't be missed.

This is my point exactly. This thread is essentially 4e grog defender HQ now.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TKIY posted:

Yeah sorry, I'm not going to continue this. It's pretty clear that you aren't allowed to enjoy the game because a Wizard breaks everything.

Is there a thread somewhere to discuss the game for those that want to actually play it?

Again, nobody has said that you can't have fun playing this game. I'm having fun playing this game with a warlock, I'm just not pretending that this game is actually balanced or that well designed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TKIY posted:

Stupid enemies are pretty common. Animals, beasts, undead, many humanoids are all stupid and generally hit the thing closest to them. I expect intelligent enemies to be harder to fight, and they will hunt down the Wizard when they can sure.

Also your imagined Wizard is pretty amazing prescient to have all the useful spells exactly when they need them. If we have a Rogue handy, our Wizard won't prepare Knock, since another character has that utility covered.

1: The Wizard solving everything is red herring. They are capable of doing many things, but they generally don't have enough spells to do everything all day every day. How many Knocks does your Wizard cast in a day? 3? Better hope there aren't four locks in that manor house.

2: Kind of the same answer as #1. GMs have to adapt and adjust on the fly, this system is basically saying you need to do this up front.

3: So what does determine a good system? Math?

Except melee damage output and resiliency between heals? A cleric healing himself isn't hurting anything else.

1: No, it really isn't. Maybe not at low levels, but past about 5th level they have enough game-breaking poo poo available to make other players very overshadowed. Cf Animate Dead.

2: Not... remotely, whatsoever. 'the GM can wing it' isn't an answer to 'one class has to ask the GM to wing it and the other doesn't'. That disparity is the problem, not the central concept of the GM winging it. Some of the best RPGs (pbta games, basically) are fundamentally built around the DM winging it, just *the same amount for every player*. The problem, to exaggerate slightly, is that the Breather has to ask the DM's permission for his character to not die of suffocation, whilst the Author Avatar can just write the entire plot himself by RAW.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Yep.

3: Maths, yes, as well as balance, equal treatment of the players (exposing them to broadly the same play experience, levels of randomness (and here's where rolling for stats falls down long-term, because it radically alters the amount of impact chance has on a character when one bad roll affects the entire life of the character forever), ability to influence the narrative, ability to do things without DM permission, etc), and to some extent, heuristic assessments of goodness. Yes, good is a matter of opinion, I wouldn't deny that.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Part of it is what someone said earlier. There's two different conversations going on and people don't realize it.

Part of it is people come in without reading it and the same cycle of conversation starts all over, with exactly the same misunderstandings and semantic problems &etc&etc.

Every time someone comes in and says "5E is a good/better game because -" there's a problem, since ultimately they're using completely different criterion from the 5E criticisms and in order to explain that people have to recapitulate the entire thread or just butt heads forever because they aren't talking about remotely the same things.

Daetrin fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Sep 1, 2014

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

TKIY posted:

Yeah, but its on enworld and gitp and several other places.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

TKIY posted:

There have been plenty of posts by people discussing it, saying they had fun etc. You didn't come in and do that though.

TKIY posted:

1. Why flip out about balance in a co-operative game? With my group, if the Wizard manages to save the day with a well timed spell, everyone is happy, even the Fighter. Are your groups that adversarial that DPS actually matters to anyone?

If you'd actually read the whole thread, as you claimed, then you'd know that DPS has very little to do with the issues in balance between casters and non-casters. So no, I don't think you came into the thread to discuss the game, you wanted to tell people they were wrong and you were right and unsurprisingly that's not going well for you, so then it's 'take my ball and go home' along with trying to claim bad faith arguments from the people correcting you.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You you think 'You won't be missed' is in good faith? I've been accused of trolling a couple of times now, so whatever.

Really, my point in my original post was trying to figure out why people think the class balance is such a big issue in a cooperative game experience. My group hasn't experienced this as an issue in 3/3.5/Pathfinder or 5e so far, and I wanted to explore that but trying to do that turns into a shitfest which I should have expected. I'm going to let it go simply because it's not worth tying up the thread with a rehash of the same points.

I'll check on those other sites then Ritorix, thanks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I for one can't wait to see all the best edition war talking points of 2008-2009 experience a resurgence for the next however many years it takes for WotC to decide it's time to recapture the true feel of D&D with another edition.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Class balance is an issue in a co-operative game because, at heart, most people want to feel like they're contributing the same amount as each other.

I know, for instance, that in games where I've played a strong face character and the adventure's turned out to be a delve in which CHA skills didn't once come up, I've found myself feeling a bit useless, and conversely when I've played a 3-skill STR/DEX Slayer and found myself in investigation and intrigue situations, I've found myself getting a bit bored. The problem's only exacerbated when one guy has access to a toolkit of things that by RAW do basically everything, albeit, less often. But the thing is, in practice for a lot of groups the 'less often' is irrelevant, because the problem with it is that once those daily spells are gone... that guy now has very little to contribute and starts to feel overshadowed, and the group winds up resting and regaining his spells again.

None of which is to say you shouldn't play 5e if you're having fun with it, or if you're having fun with 3e. Feel free.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TKIY posted:

You you think 'You won't be missed' is in good faith? I've been accused of trolling a couple of times now, so whatever.

Really, my point in my original post was trying to figure out why people think the class balance is such a big issue in a cooperative game experience. My group hasn't experienced this as an issue in 3/3.5/Pathfinder or 5e so far, and I wanted to explore that but trying to do that turns into a shitfest which I should have expected. I'm going to let it go simply because it's not worth tying up the thread with a rehash of the same points.

I'll check on those other sites then Ritorix, thanks.

Surprise, when you post opinions that most people on this forum disagree with, you get people disagreeing with you.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 14, 2014

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Surprise, when you post opinions that most people on this forums disagree with, you get people disagreeing with you.

It doesn't mean that I'm trolling though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TKIY posted:

It doesn't mean that I'm trolling though.

Discussions like this always have people calling other people trolls just for disagreeing with them,. It's better to just ignore them and continue the discussion with the other people who aren't asses.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Discussions like this always have people calling other people trolls just for disagreeing with them,. It's better to just ignore them and continue the discussion with the other people who aren't asses.

Fair enough. I'm content with realizing that my group is generally a pretty amazing group of dudes and dudettes and that gives us a benefit with lovely rules that can skew my perspective.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

TKIY posted:

Maybe I am 2e/3e grog as all hell, but there is some serious 4e grog coming back the other way you must admit.

TKIY posted:

This thread is essentially 4e grog defender HQ now.

Grog essentially comes down to having a tummyfeel opinion so strong that you distort / ignore reality to justify it. This isn't a thing this forum has much patience with, regardless of its source. (As you've hopefully noticed.) It's easy to misbrand 5e criticism as Some Other Game's sour grapes! But I've found 4e players have been exceptionally lenient when talking about Next, if only to avoid any association with the baseless, raging hate-on they faced. In fact, some people even exploit this by decrying any Next criticism as Edition Warring!

What a hilarious, lovely thing that isn't happening here even a little, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't really get what's at odds between "cooperative gameplay" and "class balance." The two aren't mutually exclusive and it seems based on the assumption that group victory is the only factor that anyone in an RPG ought to be concerned with.

Like, if you're on a sports team with some superstar player who largely carries the team on his shoulders while you get put in for five minutes a game just so your rear end doesn't wear a hole in the bench and your team winds up winning the championship I'm sure it's rad to have a ring and all but at the end of the day the superstar player is the one everybody remembers and adulates while the guy warming the bench isn't, even though they both get a ring.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
Ironically, games that balance the classes, either by giving each a complementary tactical toolbox (4e) or by putting them on a more equal narrative footing (DW) actually facilitate cooperation and player engagement. The argument that 'the wizard and his minions' party dynamics doesn't matter because it's a ~~cooperative game~~ is pure bs.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Kai Tave posted:

I don't really get what's at odds between "cooperative gameplay" and "class balance." The two aren't mutually exclusive and it seems based on the assumption that group victory is the only factor that anyone in an RPG ought to be concerned with.

I think the big issue is between class niches and class balance. It's naturally appealing to have your character have a type of moment where they really shine, but that means basically by definition that in games where that type of situation is more common your character becomes more powerful.

I feel like one of the big 3e/4e divides is in how the games try to manage those issues. 4e massively cuts down on the scope of niches--they're all pretty combat focused, and because combat is so heavily designed they're set up in a way that they all work really well together simultaneously--one character defends the front line while another does high DPS and another keeps everyone healthy. You might get a little situational advantage for one type over another (maybe you specialize in AoE attacks and your DM uses tons of minions), but it's not all that bad.

I think this approach cuts out most of the disadvantages of class nichedom, but I feel like it dulls some of its strengths, too. Characters feel very different within combat, but outside of it they start to turn a bit samey--I think this is what people are complaining about when they say the characters seem to similar. I think 3e/5e/etc try to give characters their niche moments to shine throughout the three pillars in way that is (theoretically) a bit more compelling for me, despite its inherent problematic aspects.

That said, 5e ain't doing a great job of this. The wizard's out of combat niche is 'do everything' and the fighter's is 'maybe jump kind of far'.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

OtspIII posted:

That said, 5e ain't doing a great job of this. The wizard's out of combat niche is 'do everything' and the fighter's is 'maybe jump kind of far'.

So what's the immediate solution in most peoples opinion? If it's not in the game mechanics I think that's where having a bunch of DM fiat isn't a terrible thing, it gives some leeway on creating or supporting either GM designed or player posited scenarios on the fly. I guess a ruleset doesn't have to be terrible abstract for that but it doesn't hurt either.

There were quite a few posts earlier about much more effective feats/abilities for martial-types. I assume there will be splatbooks like Complete Warrior at some point.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

TKIY posted:

So what's the immediate solution in most peoples opinion? If it's not in the game mechanics I think that's where having a bunch of DM fiat isn't a terrible thing, it gives some leeway on creating or supporting either GM designed or player posited scenarios on the fly. I guess a ruleset doesn't have to be terrible abstract for that but it doesn't hurt either.

There were quite a few posts earlier about much more effective feats/abilities for martial-types. I assume there will be splatbooks like Complete Warrior at some point.
I would rather see splatbooks like Tome of Battle or Magic of Incarnum, honestly.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

TKIY posted:

So what's the immediate solution in most peoples opinion?

I was wondering about that too, my group hasn't started our game yet but seeing all the caster supremacy stuff in the thread I don't want the martial player fighter to feel left out. DM and me thought giving him the martial feat that lets him have maneuvers would help but I don't know how affective it is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Andrast posted:

What unique abilities do martials have that a group of just casters can't accomplish?

Not die before they get anywhere. Because a group of casters will get slaughtered.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Take Dungeon World's default fighter, port the narrative abilities over the fighter class?

Although, that would be a huge pain, since it's still a bit of "DM may I..." and not coded instant spells.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not die before they get anywhere. Because a group of casters will get slaughtered.

Clerics and Druids are casters.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TKIY posted:

So I've been playing since the red box, and so far my group is rather enjoying 5th, even though we are only playing the starter box at the moment.

Can I just ask these three questions:

1. Why flip out about balance in a co-operative game? With my group, if the Wizard manages to save the day with a well timed spell, everyone is happy, even the Fighter. Are your groups that adversarial that DPS actually matters to anyone?

2. How is DM fiat any different in 5e than in any other TTRPG ever? Narrative sections, roleplay interactions, world building and the like all happen with at least some DM fiat. A designer saying 'let the DM decide' is really not an issue that I can see since it actually takes away some of the rulebook lawyering that can make a game run slowly and turns the system into player versus GM.

3. Why is 'fun' useless as a measurement of a system? I thought that was the point? If a system isn't perfect but it's fun to play how bad can it be.

I guess I've been reading along here since the first page (and the previous thread) and I don't get why MonsterEnvy is getting piled on. It's like several posters here are adamant that their numerical results prove that he is HAVING FUN WRONG.

Perhaps it has a lot to do with the group. We roll stats with caveats for truly lovely rolls, we roll hit points but reroll anything less than half of maximum, and we accept that sometimes a little railroading means the story opens up an exciting plot development or great set piece. These games, to us, are collaborative storytelling but we *like* the comfortable confines of a system and world that are familiar and immediately accessible to us. That's why my current group went AD&D2e -> 3.0 -> 3.5 -> Pathfinder and bailed on 4th. 4th was just so foreign it didn't feel like D&D and 5e does.

So, I think that I'm in the vocal minority here, but I wonder if the gaming majority in general sides with this perspective or not. I'd be curious to see 4e vs 5e sales figures for the launch window.

1 is best answered by Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Lack of balance makes for an intensely negative play experience in some groups (any that care about player skill, and any with slightly uncooperative members) while doing nothing to help anyone else.

2: DM Fiat in 5e is little different to DM fiat in a lot of 80s and 90s games. It's arbitary, which reduces immersion. It's got very little guidance, which means it's hard to learn to run. And it's there in a number of cases that don't need to be there. More modern and better designed games provide better mechanics and guidance, which means that the player (and hence the PC) can have a better understanding of the world. For games to look out for this way, Fate Core, Apocalypse World, and Leverage spring to mind.

3: You can have fun playing literally any game - and that includes Monopoly which was deliberately designed not to be fun (barely an exaggeration). Saying "There exists a group that had fun with it" is about the lowest possible bar there is.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TKIY posted:

I don't really think you're going to get a "solution" to this. The crux of the situation is that Next, in fine 3.X tradition, wants spellcasters and sword dudes to sit at the same table but play by significantly different rules and expectations and you can't really patch that by going "well maybe they'll add new stuff in a sourcebook."

Spellcasters get a bunch of rad poo poo that breaks the rules and does all sorts of crazy stuff "balanced" by the fact that they can't literally do all of it all the time, but they still get plenty of spells and stuff like Arcane Recovery too, and in practical terms unless you're dragging your group through unending meatgrinders where they have no chance to rest or recover ever then spellcasters are rarely going to be stuck in a position where all they can do is shrug helplessly. Fighters, meanwhile, get an anemic set of abilities to choose from off a static list that doesn't gain anything new or exciting as they level up which means that higher level Fighters are increasingly picking through the stuff they didn't really want in the first place just to say they did, so they don't even get to look forward to crazy new stuff as they level-up. Fighter stuff is "attack more often" and "jump a little farther, but not TOO far because we don't want to get crazy with this poo poo" while spellcaster stuff is "raise an army of skeletons" or "turn into a dragon."

There is no quick and simple hack that makes all this work the way some folks want it to all get balanced out somehow in the end. People spent literal years trying to hammer 3.X into shape while preserving the radically different sorts of games various categories of classes were playing at the same table but virtually all these attempts were just shuffling chairs around. What if we gave the fighter bigger numbers? No, more bigger? What if we took away these specific spells? Maybe these ones too? But it turns out that none of that really addresses the fundamental issue that some people get to just declare their own fiat while other people have to ask for it.

Also if there's going to be a Complete Warrior then you know there's also going to be a Complete Wizard somewhere in there too.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Clerics and Druids are casters.

Clerics end up using a lot of magic for healing still. The short rest/hit dice stuff takes a chunk of that responsibility away but we've found they still end popping at least one cure off in any moderate sized fight. Our Cleric never really uses healing word though so that seems to balance out their fighting potential a bit.

Druids at L18 seem really really good. Casting from wild shape was always a great ability.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TKIY posted:

Clerics end up using a lot of magic for healing still. The short rest/hit dice stuff takes a chunk of that responsibility away but we've found they still end popping at least one cure off in any moderate sized fight. Our Cleric never really uses healing word though so that seems to balance out their fighting potential a bit.

Druids at L18 seem really really good. Casting from wild shape was always a great ability.
Clerics can use a lot of magic for healing while doing all the tanking a fighter could do- at the levels where fighters' damage starts to ramp up clerics get high level spells which are still amazingly powerful. Druids can be actively better tanks than fighters while still having spell utility out the rear end. Why would I play a fighter in Next? I shouldn't be forced to suck because I want to play a non-caster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

neonchameleon posted:

3: You can have fun playing literally any game - and that includes Monopoly which was deliberately designed not to be fun (barely an exaggeration). Saying "There exists a group that had fun with it" is about the lowest possible bar there is.

Not going to rehash the first two since its dead horse territory, but here's a question. What is the high bar then?