Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

now you really went and did it!!!! gas thread ban op

ban thread gas op :godwinning:

Seriously, good to see that Eugen has seen the light on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

TsarZiedonis posted:

Just a reliable source. Anyways, the Swedes are going to rock a Leo 2A4 with modern ammo and FCS. It'll be hella sweet, and give them a heavy on par with at least the Leclerc.

I was just worried about getting people in trouble, is all.

Honestly this isn't even all that surprising even without leaks. No way they were giving out the 2A5, especially an up-armoured one because that has to be WGER's special toy. The 2A4 is, however old now, but to be honest with much better price efficiency and with updated ammo and a better FCS that thing could be pretty drat great and be a monster in the ~120-150pt price range.

The other one I would be surprised to see them get would be the 103D, uparmoured with a better FCS and hopefully modern ammunition. This would give them a very solid tank in the 80-110pt price range, depending on what stats they actually give it.

I would expect the other scandinavians to mostly get 1A5s. I think NOR had an uparmoured one so that could be interesting too.

And then there's stuff like the BKAN-1C which I would not be used for the scandinavian Caesar role. Likely Grippens, F16s and more drakkens. I'm hoping for some of the more interesting 9040 variants to come out. Oh and the Otomatic which has been hinted at a lot.

What they do with infantry could be the most interesting though and part of me suspects it could be the most make-or break part of the deck in a way. Currently Scandinavian infantry tends to be very cost inefficient. Their infantry support units such as ATGMs, MANPADS, FIST etc are either non-existant or gimmicky. RBS 56s and RBS 70s/90s just aren't what they used to be and their combat infantry is currently undeservedly expensive. They could use some transports too, like some modern, fast helicopters would be nice as would some more IFVs spread around. I can't remember if the norwegion 9040 is in timeframe or maybe the Finnish Patria?

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 31, 2014

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Chantilly Say posted:

There's undoubtedly some improved package they could put in as "AMX-10P '90" if they wanted. Though, wouldn't a better buff to France's mechanized-assault capability (insofar as it needs a buff) be to give them some 15-20pt shock Pgrens equivalent that can come in -10Ps? Or make Chas '90 more useful in cities (CQC gun?). I suppose the equivalent for Commonwealth would be giving Canadian Airborne or Highlanders access to the TH495.

The French really didn't have any plans to upgrade or replace the AMX-10P until halfway into the 2000s, though. Also, Shock quality infantry in IFVs is in itself more exception than norm, especially for Mech decks.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I still get a lot of bang out of the RBS 90 and the RBS 53. The 60 should be cheaper though. Agree the line infantry and kustjagere aren't good bang for buck any more as well.

The 103C doesn't even work as a static line tank any more, and the AA needs some help. Reality is most of those countries didn't add much post Cold War so it's hard to plausibly fill the gaps. Maybe should have done India as a new redfor instead (not comparable effort I know, I hope they prove me wrong with Scandinavia).

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
The Norwegians are getting a CV90, but it's equipped with a 35mm cannon, not the 40mm Bofors the Swedish version uses. The Swedes are getting an AMOS mortar, though, which will probably be like an awesome NATO vasilisk.

There's a bunch of new infantry, but the names are all indecipherable bjork bjork gobbedly goop.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TsarZiedonis posted:

The Swedes are getting an AMOS mortar, though, which will probably be like an awesome NATO vasilisk.

Yeah, I was hoping for this. Is it going to be stuck on top of a Strf90 hull or a Patria?

Double 120mm mortar with MRSI capability. On wheels? :getin:

Edit:

quote:

Ammunition for AMOS includes the Strix guided round and a modification of the Spanish Instalaza 120 mm Mortar Cargo Round "MAT-120" (although the latter are restricted to Finnish inventory and are slated for decommissioning due to their contravention of international treaty)

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 1, 2014

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
If the 35 mm bushmaster gun works as basically a nastier version of the 25mm on the Aslav that would be beastly

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
So Sweden is actually getting a Leo 2? What happened to the whole "bla bla alternate timeline germany would never sell their supertanks bla bla" thing? Getting the 122 would've been incredible, but I guess Eugen doesn't want their German playerbase to quit the game yet.

I'm guessing the 121 will be about on par with the Polish/Czech high-end T-72s, which would be fine. As long as they drop the price on the 103 by a whole lot. Isn't the 103C still 95 points or something stupid like that?

Do we know if Denmark is getting the rumored 76mm super-SPAAG?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Denmark thing is confirmed, yes

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
So somebody apparently posted screens on 4chan and the devs are super buttmad. Again. I bet there won't be cool new leaks anytime soon. Dandywalken, can you confirm/deny?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
If this leads to an end to the marshal thing that might not actually be a bad thing at this point.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Magni posted:

Also, Shock quality infantry in IFVs is in itself more exception than norm, especially for Mech decks.

Very true, though I think it could stand to be slightly more common than it is right now.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TsarZiedonis posted:

So somebody apparently posted screens on 4chan and the devs are super buttmad. Again. I bet there won't be cool new leaks anytime soon. Dandywalken, can you confirm/deny?

Devs dont care so far lol. I made a post about it though.

I'd be fine with the Marshalls dismantling as long as they keep guys who know their poo poo on call, like Xeno for planes etc. Plus the new Clan Marshalls know their poo poo very well, so they'd be wise to keep on board (or at least in-the-know for beta testing etc). I'd be removed ofc, but meh. poo poo happens.

You arent in trouble, so dont worry :)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TsarZiedonis posted:

Well post them here.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

This looks cool, actually. It's an odd addition to the Eurocorps coalition but it does make a FR standalone more viable, since Servals were always atrocious.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I still get a lot of bang out of the RBS 90 and the RBS 53. The 60 should be cheaper though. Agree the line infantry and kustjagere aren't good bang for buck any more as well.

The 103C doesn't even work as a static line tank any more, and the AA needs some help. Reality is most of those countries didn't add much post Cold War so it's hard to plausibly fill the gaps. Maybe should have done India as a new redfor instead (not comparable effort I know, I hope they prove me wrong with Scandinavia).

The RBS-56 does okay for itself. It isn't quite as hard hitting as it once was but it still packs a good punch no doubt. It's poor range is it's big problem though. It's punch just doesn't compensate as well as it used to. Also there was the BILL-2 anyway so a modernised RBS-56 isn't entirely out of the picture (although my gut feeling says it wont be in).

The RBS-90 has its range going for it. It's the only MANPAD with 2800m range which is nothing to sneeze at. However its mediocre accuracy, and being SACLOS make them pretty trivial for helicopters to deal with. The SACLOS really hurts because it makes their effective RoF fairly slow (it's not a fast missile) and any morale damage makes it more likely to. It's worth noting that a Hip or Hind really doesn't take long to close the distance on these guys and unload rocketpods on them. Oh also it used to have 6HE in ALB I believe, which helped a fair bit. Now it's only 4 HE. They're good but they're priced at the same place as Mistrals and they're sure as hell not as good as those guys.

They're certainly not the worst out there. The RBS-56 is actually pretty good on the right map/spot where the range deficit isn't such a big deal, but they really should stop being priced as if they're the best ATGM in the game. The Milan F3 has the same accuracy, same AP and better range, and is cheaper. The Konkurs has almost as good AP, same accuracy and massively better range.

They don't have any FIST/Flame teams from memory, and that hurts. A lot. A lack of FIST is okay but you can do a lot with the application of fire.

Direct combat infantry is all just randomly 5 to 15pts! It's madness. Kustjagaers pay a huge premium for being 15man, but just go compare them to say FSJ-90, or even FSJ-75. Kommondosi hurt a lot from this as well. Pansarskyttes are pretty low-mediocre tier in terms of guns, but pay an extra 5pts for the CG2 which definitely isn't special anymore. I would really like to see them get some nice shock infantry with access to their IFVs though. Would also accept Stormers in 9030s or something.

As I said, Scandinavian infantry is not cost effective compared to its peers. It is consistently over priced higher than its betters, and lacks really useful assets.

As an aside, the 103s aren't actually that far off a good price. People shouldn't look down on them as they are an excellent supporting tank to back up solid, cost effective heavy tanks like a modernised 2a4, which I'm expecting will probably just have the same gun stats/ammo as the 2A5. (or hell even just a 2A4 clone). That being said there's a lot of really good competitors now in the price range so they could definitely use some love.

Chantilly Say posted:

This looks cool, actually. It's an odd addition to the Eurocorps coalition but it does make a FR standalone more viable, since Servals were always atrocious.

I'm expecting it to be NATO's answer to the Nona SVK. An excellent heavy mortar on a fast chasis.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 1, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Dezztroy posted:

I'm guessing the 121 will be about on par with the Polish/Czech high-end T-72s, which would be fine. As long as they drop the price on the 103 by a whole lot. Isn't the 103C still 95 points or something stupid like that?
Yes. I think they forgot them in the tank patch. You can get a goddamn Leopard 2 for the price of one of those.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
And here's the Canadian... thing, I guess.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The dumbness of this depends a lot on its fire rate. If it actually is 3 independent turrets as rumoured, or at least all fires quickly, this could actually be pretty good. Otherwise
:itwaspoo: Still better than the M113 Milan though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It's sad to think that some developer put in even the modicum of effort involved in the M113 Milan just to produce a unit most players will never actually see.

Bastables
Aug 7, 2014

Mortabis posted:

If this leads to an end to the marshal thing that might not actually be a bad thing at this point.

I'd be super ok with this. I'm not sure what the whole super secret forum club of jingo's with a sprinkling of competent actually added. Why not just grab the competents?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
well for one thing:

In my experience, competents tend to be more wedded to current game design than anyone else. It's a process of self selection, since anyone who dislikes the balance or design is unlikely to invest the time to be a competent. Games tuned to the desires of competents are usually well balanced but a little hosed from the design and intuitiveness standpoints.

Also even if a game has a strong teamplay community, participatory competents lean towards 1v1. I don't think thats bad per se - but 1v1 and team modes can have far different balance interests.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 1, 2014

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Tried to find the posts on 4chan; basically impossible. Sorry guys :(

I'm sure they'll pop up again soon, though.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

TsarZiedonis posted:

Tried to find the posts on 4chan; basically impossible. Sorry guys :(

I'm sure they'll pop up again soon, though.

The only screens for the upcoming DLC posted were of the VPM-120 and the Patriot before they were revealed anyways; nothing related to the Scandi DLC has been leaked on 4chan at all and only the unit list for the upcoming DLC was leaked.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
IL28 for North Korea?

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

Devs dont care so far lol. I made a post about it though.

I'd be fine with the Marshalls dismantling as long as they keep guys who know their poo poo on call, like Xeno for planes etc. Plus the new Clan Marshalls know their poo poo very well, so they'd be wise to keep on board (or at least in-the-know for beta testing etc). I'd be removed ofc, but meh. poo poo happens.

You arent in trouble, so dont worry :)
Wasn't Xeno responsible for the F-15E -> F-15D affair? I'd like to see him permabanned just for his role in that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RangerPL posted:

Wasn't Xeno responsible for the F-15E -> F-15D affair? I'd like to see him permabanned just for his role in that.

Honestly, I'm not sure. That one did seem loving retarded though.

And yeah, the H-5 was announced today for NK. Armed with a single FAB-3000.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

RangerPL posted:

What was the reason for that again, no conformal fuel tanks?

Seriously loving dumb. As if anyone looks that closely at the units anyway.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Mortabis posted:

What was the reason for that again, no conformal fuel tanks?

Seriously loving dumb. As if anyone looks that closely at the units anyway.

The official forums is full of posts about "This model is slightly wrong and is seriously impacting my enjoyment of the game and also it's an insult to the citizens of <x> nation and it must be fixed now" posts. Boggles my mind.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The official forums is full of posts about "This model is slightly wrong and is seriously impacting my enjoyment of the game and also it's an insult to the citizens of <x> nation and it must be fixed now" posts. Boggles my mind.

To be fair, Eugen are lazy fucks about models. I don't care much for the minor things like tanks missing lights or hatches being wrong or whatever, but some things are very clearly the result of negligence, such as the W-3T Sokol not having its 23mm gun modeled because whoever made the model was too lazy to find pictures of the other side (the one with the gun) and just mirrored it. Or the T-72B/1989 missing almost all its ERA for no reason.

It's not that it affects gameplay, it's just unpolished and unprofessional, especially if their own advertising boasts about units being "recreated in exquisite detail", but I guess that's par for the course for them.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
ERA looks pretty stupid to be fair

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Orcbuster in the British Army thread posted:

This latest leak may actually have collapsed the whole marshall program. We now might not get any info whatsoever on the next DLC before release.

Actually we'll get no info on any changes before release

So good job guys.

Hopefully Eugen finally learns how to manage the community in a sensible manner; for starters they should purge the Marshalls program and retain only people who are valuable in at least one major way such as game balance, military knowledge or community management; instead they allow total trash such as Sparouw into the program and seemingly discourage marshalls from sharing anything with the community.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Sparouw is weird.

He's apparently really good, but that may just be due to playing with his affiliates. Or being "carried", really. IDK, he's done well in tourneys from what I was told. So I cant really say either way. I've barely played MP since ALB.

That dude Buck_Turgidson has been a stellar SP-based Marshall so far, so I'd be pretty easy to replace too. It may just be best to abolish the group totally, but then keep some on secret retainer for info and testing.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 2, 2014

Bastables
Aug 7, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

well for one thing:

In my experience, competents tend to be more wedded to current game design than anyone else. It's a process of self selection, since anyone who dislikes the balance or design is unlikely to invest the time to be a competent. Games tuned to the desires of competents are usually well balanced but a little hosed from the design and intuitiveness standpoints.

Also even if a game has a strong teamplay community, participatory competents lean towards 1v1. I don't think thats bad per se - but 1v1 and team modes can have far different balance interests.

I personally lean to well balanced over design and intuitiveness( If I've inferred the spectrum you've setup incorrectly apologies), but the Idea that balance is impacted by essentially a odds and sods of jingo forum posters seems inherently fraught with generating fuckwittery aka eugen's forums and irrelevant focuses in balancing. I mean It's taken 2 games and a dlc before SPAAG's were at all looked at to make them viable at actually shooting down Airpower. Even in EE spaag's were good at initially stun locking tanks, then after nerfs you were still better off using any missile aa for killing helos leaving them with no role at all.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I honestly dont understand why this is such a big deal. You have to play this game zoomed way the gently caress out, and so the unit models could just be gray cubes and it wouldn't make a bit of difference.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Made a post about improvements to community dialogue and it was immediately moved to off-topic where nobody will see it even though it is solely about the patch/DLC leaks for Red Dragon, on the basis that the topic was not enough about Red Dragon. There is no hope.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Well at least your thread wasn't deleted in under a minute and got banned for a week for your troubles :v:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So the new DPRK SPAAG... Slightly better Biryusa?

Krill Nye
Feb 25, 2010

Science rules!
Is there any way to carry changes made to the ndf_win.dat from patch to patch without manually replicating the modifications?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Krill Nye posted:

Is there any way to carry changes made to the ndf_win.dat from patch to patch without manually replicating the modifications?

Use wgpatcher.exe and make all your changes in xml. You just have to rerun the commandline every update.

• Locked thread