Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well. It looks like practically everyone I know irl that plays games has decided to pull the trigger on getting a PS4 to play Destiny. This game is going to sell an absolutely ridiculous amount of copies isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It already has

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who found Destiny boring and lifeless and won't be getting it at all.
It's eerily similar to vanilla Diablo 3 for me. It lacks that x-factor.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 1, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've bought in to the hype despite never being very interested in this sort of game. But, it's got loot man. Loot!

Though honestly I'm just still in the new console phase where I'll buy anything that looks shiny enough.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

xgalaxy posted:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who found Destiny boring and lifeless and won't be getting it at all.
I'm gonna buy it when it's cheap or when my friends finally get PS4s. So basically when it's cheap. I played the beta and it felt playable, just didn't draw me in.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
oh my god the little bird flies in front of the system ui

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Christoff posted:

It already has

Isn't it already most pre-ordered new ip? It's gonna turn into best selling new ip. And maybe best selling first game in a franchise.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ineffiable posted:

Isn't it already most pre-ordered new ip? It's gonna turn into best selling new ip. And maybe best selling first game in a franchise.

Yeah, I think it is going to smash all of the records Watch Dogs set.

Kinda surprising/good that the record for top new IP will be broken twice in one year (even if Watch Dogs is so similar to AssCreed and Destiny is so similar to Halo).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
After eight years of the same systems, people want something new and fresh, I think that's the general take on it. It does help that the PS4 is pretty drat cheap.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

PlayStation 4 DualShock 4 Wireless Controller + $3.50 Rakuten Cash - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/129260

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I'm a weirdo who doesn't care at all about first person shooter PvP. Is the Single-player and PvE stuff in Destiny worth it?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'd say yes judging by the beta but also realize it's not your traditional FPS pvp

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

neetengie posted:

I'm gonna buy it when it's cheap or when my friends finally get PS4s. So basically when it's cheap. I played the beta and it felt playable, just didn't draw me in.

I thought the story missions were decently fun, but I don't know why they even have that exploration mode when it's "Go through the same areas you already go through a dozen times in the story, to grind through MMO quests for some reason."

I thought the PvE Strike Missions were the best part of the beta, though they could have stood to tune the boss HP a little.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Coca Koala posted:

I'm a weirdo who doesn't care at all about first person shooter PvP. Is the Single-player and PvE stuff in Destiny worth it?

Hell, I'm buying the game specifically for Explore mode and PvE stuff. I spent 17 hours with the Beta, and not a single second of it was PvP. Edit: Add to that 8 hours in the Alpha, wherein I played one PvP match just to see what that looked like.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

I'm looking forward to it and I enjoyed the beta, but I can see where you are coming from. I'm not planning on playing it forever like some people because MMO style "kill some guys" quests got really boring really fast to me. I'm expecting to get at least one enjoyable playthrough out of it though since I like Borderlands and this just felt like a more slick version of it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

For some reason when I first glanced at this I thought it was some kind of Ghostbusters-themed PS4. I now want a Ghostbusters-themed PS4.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
On Amazon US, Destiny already outsold Watch Dogs PS4's entire year of sales (#19 compared to #20) and it's not even released yet. That's not always a good indicator of worldwide sales, but I think in this case it's safe to say Destiny will probably kill the charts.

The smartest moves Activision/Bungie made was a) doing the Alpha and Beta b) on consoles that can share video clips and photos on social networks c) releasing the Beta to the public d) having the game release within the first year of next-gen consoles shipping and promoting it heavily as a next-gen experience.

solarbeam
Nov 29, 2005
I just beat TLOU remastered (never played the PS3 version) and drat what an amazing game. Even if it was a PS3 game first, I'm glad it was re-released on the PS4 because I would've never played through it or have given it a chance due to the next-gen itch.

Seriously, if you've never played the game - you should definitely pick it up on the PS4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

xgalaxy posted:

You're not. I played the alpha and the beta and I didn't find either to be all that fun. So I definitely won't be purchasing it and I probably won't even rent it unless I run out of stuff to play at some point. Although I enjoyed vanilla Diablo 3 quite a bit (on console, I mean) :shobon:

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Diablo 3 on console was never vanilla, it had many of the loot 2.0 improvements in there from day 1.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ah, I thought vanilla meant "pre-Reaper of Souls". My bad.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

superh posted:

Diablo 3 on console was never vanilla, it had many of the loot 2.0 improvements in there from day 1.

There are two versions of console Diablo. Vanilla means the original Diablo 3 that came out on PS3 and 360 last year, in relation to the updated UEE that came out recently.

In cases of games with expansion packs, vanilla usually refers to the original release.

quote:

Ah, I thought vanilla meant "pre-Reaper of Souls". My bad.

You were right. However to be fair on superh, the vanilla Diablo first referred to was the PC version (which was a nightmarish excuse of a game until RoS came out) which is way different to the vanilla version of the console version.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Sony's PS4 TGS game announcements for those that haven't heard about them yet:

-Hot Shots Golf
-Persona 5
-EDF! EDF! EDF!
-New Ys game
-Dragon Quest version of Hyrule Warriors
-Disgaea 5
-Resident Evil Revelations 2
-Yakuza 0 (you will never see this beyond Japan thanks to Sega)
-Gundam, One Piece, and Dragonball Z games
-Del Toro and Kojima talked about their bromance and released 0 new info except to tease TGS proper as a time where more MGSV/Silent Hills info will debut
-some hosed up Japanese perv game for Morpheus

They also closed with remarks that they will still be doing Tokyo Game Show proper (September 18-21) so we will probably see more announcements/release dates.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 1, 2014

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Crossing my fingers for P5 gameplay footage come TGS. It's been too long.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Surlaw posted:

I really don't think anything he's been involved with post Killer 7's been good. I liked No More Heroes at the time but it feels terrible now.

Killer7 really is his only solid game, all of his other good games have a lot of subversive bullshit that is specifically designed to not be fun.

I'll probably still spend money on Let It Die cause I'm a sucker.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

Killer7 really is his only solid game, all of his other good games have a lot of subversive bullshit that is specifically designed to not be fun.

I'll probably still spend money on Let It Die cause I'm a sucker.
You don't have to though, because it's free to play, right?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Won't stop me from wasting money on it.

If you lose everything on death, I can't imagine how he will monetize it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Doflamingo posted:

Crossing my fingers for P5 gameplay footage come TGS. It's been too long.

I really, really doubt it. The animated trailer was the first thing they've showed since the announcement trailer.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

Won't stop me from wasting money on it.

If you lose everything on death, I can't imagine how he will monetize it.
Oh, I hadn't thought of it that way, If you can indeed buy something with real money and be hit over the head and someone else take it, that's gonna be the least successful f2p game ever, except among a few crazies.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
Am I missing something on the PAX sale where they claim up to 80% off even though the deepest discount is 30%?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Policenaut posted:

Here's the trailer for Suda51's newest game Let It Die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M747q9p0RMs

Free to play, action game about murdering other players and taking their poo poo. You start with almost nothing and scrape your way up. Die and your character becomes an AI enemy in someone else's game.

Looks interesting. Can't wait to see it without horrible filters, flash cuts and lovely death metal music.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Looks interesting. Can't wait to see it without horrible filters, flash cuts and lovely death metal music.
Are we sure those aren't part of the game itself? I mean, it IS Grasshopper.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, I hadn't thought of it that way, If you can indeed buy something with real money and be hit over the head and someone else take it, that's gonna be the least successful f2p game ever, except among a few crazies.

Isn't this exactly what GTA Online is?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Isn't this exactly what GTA Online is?
Oh I dunno, I only played that briefly. Can you permanently steal things that other players paid real money for?

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

Am I missing something on the PAX sale where they claim up to 80% off even though the deepest discount is 30%?

You're seeing the PS plus discount on top of the normal discount. Some things are Heavily discounted, yes.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I am looking at getting a charging station for the PS4. Seems like the official Sony one is only available in Europe so I can only find this one that some people seem to like:

http://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Controller-Charging-Station-PlayStation-4/dp/B00ENFVJJO

Any thoughts on this or other good ones? I would prefer ones like this that the controller sits upside down in it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ularg posted:

I am looking at getting a charging station for the PS4. Seems like the official Sony one is only available in Europe so I can only find this one that some people seem to like:

http://www.amazon.com/DualShock-Controller-Charging-Station-PlayStation-4/dp/B00ENFVJJO

Any thoughts on this or other good ones? I would prefer ones like this that the controller sits upside down in it.

I have this one

it is very good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
While that was a lot of good news, Hot Shots Gold on PS4 is the best bit to me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh I dunno, I only played that briefly. Can you permanently steal things that other players paid real money for?

Permanently, no. If someone steals your tank or chopper or whatever you just call in a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Peel posted:

Thirding the lack of interest in Disgaea 5 from someone who sunk entirely too much time into the original. Nippon Ichi peaked with Phantom Brave and have been stagnating since they started making numbered sequels and then direct sequels to Disgaea.

Can you explain what it is about Phantom Brave you liked? Because I hated that game.

Also Disgaea 4 is probably the best game they made.

• Locked thread