Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

it's been two weeks now and this is just getting better and better

The info-circle that posted was absent of Klepek? I just want Gerstmann to be the overall manipulator in this awesome thunderdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

rainy day posted:

clearly game journalism sjws have infiltrated the highest echelons of the internet and are censoring anyone they consider a threat.

You apparently have nothing to add to this discussion except for a bunch of "nuh uh"s and "what a loony conspiracy theory".

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

fisting by many posted:

wikipedia and reddit admins is totally understandable given that it takes a special kind of person to care enough about an internet cesspit to spend hundreds of hours moderating it

the host taking down a website is weird as heck though, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out that somebody knows someone else.

Or that the host got hit with spurious DCMA notices because a picture was used without attribution and the site wasn't big enough for them to bother expending the effort to see if it was bollocks. It seems to usually transpire that something like that or huge traffic spikes cause small gaming sites to randomly go offline.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

rainy day posted:

clearly game journalism sjws have infiltrated the highest echelons of the internet and are censoring anyone they consider a threat.

Not to beat a dead horse but people could link to dozens of sites have changed their moderation policies and published weird manifestos about the word "gamer" all the sudden -- and this is all public -- and you're saying that didn't happen? Oh.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

rainy day posted:

if i call you a delusional, alex jones calibur fuckwit will you poo poo your pants?

If I call you an SJW covering for your cult, will you call me a misogynist?

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

EasternBronze posted:

Probably this type of best-friends club type corruption isn't rare in the world but the ubiquity of social media combined with how, shall we say, "unconventionally socialized" someone who makes their life around videogames is just creates the perfect storm. I'm not surprised people are pissed. Videogames are supposed to be fun and games, noone wants their hobby to get taken over by the kind of bullshit you deal with and work or in the news.

the giant bomb guys are best buds with harmonix and no one gives a poo poo. People at Kotaku and The Escapist go to parties hosted by EA and get free, one-of-a-kind videogame swag and no one gives a poo poo. Some dumb indie game devs may have had sex with some other indie game devs and the internet collectively shits itsself.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
move this to games/yospos

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

XK posted:

They could easily choose to not allow it on their site.

That's a great idea if Reddit's goal was to alienate 50% of their user base and probably collapse as the "front page of the internet" you should deffo run that by them I'm sure your opinion will be treasured

XK
Jul 9, 2001

rainy day posted:

the giant bomb guys are best buds with harmonix and no one gives a poo poo. People at Kotaku and The Escapist go to parties hosted by EA and get free, one-of-a-kind videogame swag and no one gives a poo poo. Some dumb indie game devs may have had sex with some other indie game devs and the internet collectively shits itsself.

Here's what I claim people believe, and it's true because I say so.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

so a lot of people keep accusing some girl of sleeping with a bunch of journalists to get coverage or good reviews or awards for her game

but ive never heard of her game, havent seen a positive review and if it won an award it only diminishes the prestige of everyone who ever got that reward to nil just because her game got it, not because of how she got it

so who cares

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Or that the host got hit with spurious DCMA notices because a picture was used without attribution and the site wasn't big enough for them to bother expending the effort to see if it was bollocks. It seems to usually transpire that something like that or huge traffic spikes cause small gaming sites to randomly go offline.

Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense

But deleting the IP is still weird isn't it? Wouldn't most hosts just have it go to a "website suspended" page?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Proteus4994 posted:

That's a great idea if Reddit's goal was to alienate 50% of their user base and probably collapse as the "front page of the internet" you should deffo run that by them I'm sure your opinion will be treasured

One involves simple discussion, which they banned completely. The other involves swapping private nude photos and movies by the hundreds. You're right, they don't compare, because one would be much more defensible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Xachariah posted:

so a lot of people keep accusing some girl of sleeping with a bunch of journalists to get coverage or good reviews or awards for her game

but ive never heard of her game, havent seen a positive review and if it won an award it only diminishes the prestige of everyone who ever got that reward to nil just because her game got it, not because of how she got it

so who cares

the fact she didn't get the publicity she was apparently after is one reason people find it funny as gently caress, dude

indie scene is melting itself down for literally zero gain

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Clitch posted:

Either you're dense as gently caress, or you failed Asking Rhetorical Questions 101.

Speaking to colleagues, discussing events, disagreeing, reasoning, bouncing ideas of one another are all good, healthy things that we want a legitimate press to do. This is obvious to anyone with a mote of objectivity floating around in their heads.

Meeting, agreeing to a shared agenda, colluding to push that agenda, and concurrently presenting that agenda as completely spontaneous is conspiracy. It's Americans For Prosperity in horn-rimmed glasses.

But hey, you're "Just asking questions" right?

He/she/it makes you think

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'd rather have a free Mountain Dew tote bag than have sex with a video games+ blogger

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

rainy day posted:

But people did give a poo poo. This is just the straw that broke the camel's back. It's also special because while people aren't surprised about AAA being corrupt, it was probably surprising that the indie game scene is as bad. There are numerous reasons to care about this.

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
actually yes move this gay thread into a chamber where i brutally decimate all the retards itt with a noscope bazooka to the head

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Forums Barber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgW5NRUfs44

This is pretty entertaining. Maya Kramer, Zoe's PR person (one of the five guys who happens to be a woman) slept with the head of the Indie Games Fest and whaddya know, all of the winners and finalists either employ Maya for PR or straight up work at the same PR company she does.

It's based almost entirely upon the fact that someone put a period at the end of a sentence.

This is the perfect addition to the thread, and I support it fully.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rainy day posted:

the giant bomb guys are best buds with harmonix and no one gives a poo poo.

lol maybe that has something to do with giantbomb's policy where they disclose their personal relationships with devs and refuse to review games developed by the people they're closest with, like Bastion

even patrick klepek has stayed out of most of this poo poo besides continuing to do the whole "stop being assholes on the internet" panel tour that he's already been doing for a year anyway

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

XK posted:

One involves simple discussion, which they banned completely. The other involves swapping private nude photos and movies by the hundreds. You're right, they don't compare, because one would be much more defensible.

No my point is that reddit threw a shitfit and almost blew up involving one deleted thread over an unknown D-list indie dev now imagine if they tried the same thing about the celeb leak two weeks later (a significantly bigger deal to way more people)

I'm not defending them morally because I don't give a poo poo I'm just pointing out reddit would have gone the way of digg if they censored the celeb nudes

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

XK posted:

Here's what I claim people believe, and it's true because I say so.

Some of us use fact based reality to come to conclusions, but by all means please continue making your A Beautiful Mind style charts and graphs and indie game dev cucking.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Xachariah posted:

so who cares

lol you think zoe quinn is anything more than the idiot who's ruining it for the rest of her "friends at work".

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
forums poster rainy day is bad much like my posting

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

patrick klepek cuckolded me for ten dollars.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

rainy day posted:

Some of us use fact based reality to come to conclusions, but by all means please continue making your A Beautiful Mind style charts and graphs and indie game dev cucking.

What facts? You mean the ones after ones showing financial and personal support, the time the lady crushed an feminist game charity to promote her own, or her and others just being a hilariously stupid people? Which one is shows your side again?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!

rainy day posted:

Major publisher pressure on review sites is a well known problem and its turned into a shitstorm before.

At least with Gamestop and the like they don't band into mobs and try to persecute you for wrong think about videogames. Don't you find it a little ironic that someone who supposedly cares so much about feminism and women in games than goes around and has sex with men to further her standing in the scene?

It sounds like a misogynistic accusation but whoops its actually true. She had sex with a guy who judged her game for an award.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

EasternBronze posted:

Major publisher pressure on review sites is a well known problem and its turned into a shitstorm before.

At least with Gamestop and the like they don't band into mobs and try to persecute you for wrong think about videogames. Don't you find it a little ironic that someone who supposedly cares so much about feminism and women in games than goes around and has sex with men to further her standing in the scene?

It sounds like a misogynistic accusation but whoops its actually true. She had sex with a guy who judged her game for an award.

not defending zoe quin but this conspiracy nonsense is ridiculous.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mostly think that Quinn is probably a bit of an rear end in a top hat and just ran in the same social circles as these people and just casually hosed them rather than doing it for any reason with her games.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

rainy day posted:

let's set up some goal posts about what if a single infochart theory turns out to be true

will you acknowledge that you were wrong if one turns out to be true? I'm willing to do the same if not a single one has any truth to them in like a months time

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

rainy day posted:

Noone has even denied that these people are all connected. We live in an age of ubiquitous communication its not so hard for someone to shoot an email to the friend of the guy you're blowing and say "Hey I need your help..."

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

rainy day posted:

pro tip there is a conspiracy and i am the reptile behind it

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

lovely Wizard posted:

let's set up some goal posts about what if a single infochart theory turns out to be true

will you acknowledge that you were wrong if one turns out to be true? I'm willing to do the same if not a single one has any truth to them in like a months time

if someone actually gets irrefutable evidence then obviously but I've yet to see anything other than conspiracy theories and screenshots of a few overly zealous, misguided feminist (mostly dudes) ally types on twitter which is not the place for nuanced discussion.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rainy day posted:

if someone actually gets irrefutable evidence then obviously but I've yet to see anything other than conspiracy theories and screenshots of a few overly zealous, misguided feminist (mostly dudes) ally types on twitter which is not the place for nuanced discussion.

are you cool with the concept that everybody is ok with Giant Bomb having personal relationships with devs because they disclose them and have policies about not reviewing stuff by people they're close with or even covering kickstarters on their site

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Skunny Wundy posted:

patrick klepek cuckolded me for ten dollars.

I have no evidence but judging by Patrick's hair he has been the towel boy at every cuck jam

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

rainy day posted:

Zoe Quinn won an award from someone whom she had a sexual relationship with.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

rainy day posted:

does a tweet by an involved party saying its true, count

because there were a couple of those

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

the fact she didn't get the publicity she was apparently after is one reason people find it funny as gently caress, dude

indie scene is melting itself down for literally zero gain

its just hosed up, im trying to wrap my head around it 'cause i have nothing worse to do

essentially its a bunch of "hippie" people who are angry at "gamer" people for being angry at something that didnt happen to one of the hippies, and the gamers are angry that the hippies are angry that the gamers are angry because the gamers heavily object to the thing that realistically didnt actually occur

weirdos, all of 'em

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Seriously rainy day what do you think a conspiracy actually is.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

rainy day posted:

Really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

EasternBronze posted:

Zoe Quinn won an award from someone whom she had a sexual relationship with.

which award? i wanna know who to invalidate across the board

• Locked thread