Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The stupid grin from hitting a shelldock with another shelldock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Speed vs Cunning is on Gatherer.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=[%22Duel%20Decks:%20Speed%20vs.%20Cunning%22]

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&set=[%22Duel%20Decks:%20Speed%20vs.%20Cunning%22]

I've been getting runtime errors from gatherer all day.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I've been getting runtime errors from gatherer all day.

Same here. I'm glad it isn't just my computer.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

wildfire1 posted:

Could someone link me to this please?

http://instagram.com/p/sWeEtGlqM1/

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I'm gutted not to be able to watch dzyl forcing storm on stream anymore. Hopefully they continue to support it in holiday cube.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm confused as to why storm being a "trap" in cube was a problem. The target audience for online Cube is, after all, reasonably well connected and informed (even if still not good at drafting) Magic players. If they, or pros doing a gimmick, want to try and force storm and probably scrub out, why not more power to them?

I could see an argument from there being not enough space for the other decks' cards in the cube, but I haven't ever perceived that as a problem in the MTGO cube specifically. It always seems like an embarrassment of riches when it comes to playables for pretty much any seat at the table.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So, it looks like the duel deck is more of a clash pack? Unless the Arcanis deck is supposed to also be three colors, Lightning Angel is kind of hard to get out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

What is the difference between clash packs and duel decks anyway?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

So, it looks like the duel deck is more of a clash pack? Unless the Arcanis deck is supposed to also be three colors, Lightning Angel is kind of hard to get out.

The Duel Decks are both 3-color it's just that Arcanis is the cover card for the Cunning deck.

Ramos posted:

Clash Packs are taking the place of Event Decks every 2 sets. The next one we'll see is for Fate Reforged aka Sarkhan and Sorin's Excellent Adventure.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 1, 2014

Sep 13, 2007

Ramos posted:

Duel decks are separate decks while a clash pack can be separate decks or take specific cards from each to combine them into a more powerful deck.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Gensuki posted:

It's specifically Mardu vs Jeskai. They are definitely three colours.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Regarding the cube, it seems weird that they cut a lot of the fixing lands in order to insert multi-colored cards that would enjoy those fixing lands.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
So my friend told me that certain cards in the upcoming duel deck aren't going to be legal in standard? For example, I wouldn't be able to use Goblin Warchief in my red deck because he came out during Onslaught. And if my friend's correct, why is it the case?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Crusaderking posted:

So my friend told me that certain cards in the upcoming duel deck aren't going to be legal in standard? For example, I wouldn't be able to use Goblin Warchief in my red deck because he came out during Onslaught. And if my friend's correct, why is it the case?

Duel Decks are used to reprint cards regardless of the current format; if they were automatically legal in the current format, it would severely limit their ability to reprint because there are often cards in them they don't want in Standard.

Sep 13, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Gatherer now works and I have to say the new Fleshbag Marauder art is pretty nice.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Crusaderking posted:

Only cards that get printed in expansions are standard legal. Supplimental products aren't a part of that. Otherwise MMA and CNS would be standard legal, and that would be crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Stab posted:

Only cards that get printed in expansions are standard legal. Supplimental products aren't a part of that. Otherwise MMA and CNS would be standard legal, and that would be crazy.

Clash Packs though are standard legal because they consist entirely of cards from recent sets.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Crusaderking posted:

Magic has a lot of "secondary products" that are usually made completely of reprints. Commander decks, Duel Decks, From the Vault - all of these are not "core releases" and do not affect what is in Standard at all. The core releases (currently) come out 4 times a year - three expansions and then a core set in the summer.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Lord Of Texas posted:

Magic has a lot of "secondary products" that are usually made completely of reprints. Commander decks, Duel Decks, From the Vault - all of these are not "core releases" and do not affect what is in Standard at all. The core releases (currently) come out 4 times a year - three expansions and then a core set in the summer.

After M16, this will change to two expansions, followed by a different two expansions.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Its actually been there for a week or so.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Does the two blocks a year thing actually change the product schedule though, besides flipping the big summer set with the small summer set? I mean right now we have (approximations since I know they're changing the dates a little moving forward - actually could someone else confirm this, I feel like the prereleases moved up a week for khans/fate?)

Set 1 - Big Fall
Additional product slot 1 - Early winter, currently commander decks
Set 2 - Small winter
Additional product slot 2 - Planeswalkers from previous block Duel decks in March I believe?
Set 3 - Small late spring, changing to Big set when the changes go in
Additional product slot 3 - Planechase/MM/etc, Modern masters 2 in 2015 most likely*, was Conspiracy this year
Set 4 - Summer core set, changing to small set when the changes go in
Additional product slot 4 - FTV, mid august
Additional product slot 5 - Duel decks idea vs idea, end of summer

I know they hinted at adding another product for "beginners" and clash/event decks ship with their respective sets, well, a few weeks later. (Clash will be with small sets after the change?)

Any other major changes shown? I may have dozed off a little during Maro's article.

* I don't believe this has been confirmed at all other than stuff they said before the first MMA shipped about "if it successful it could..."

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Well for one a big block set is pretty different from a core set- it'll have a full set of new mechanics instead of the one returning mechanic of core sets.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
We don't actually know how the two block paradigm is going to affect the release schedules in 2016 when it starts in earnest. Set releases are a little earlier than usual for KTK block, though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there some problem with Bestow or Constellation that meant they couldn't be allowed to exist without being essentially being ready hosed come rotation? Is there any chance End Hostilities and Back to Nature will just prove to be as impotent as Notion Thief was? I just don't appreciate them ruling out fun potential decks with a card each when no problem appears to exist.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there some problem with Bestow or Constellation that meant they couldn't be allowed to exist without being essentially being ready hosed come rotation? Is there any chance End Hostilities and Back to Nature will just prove to be as impotent as Notion Thief was? I just don't appreciate them ruling out fun potential decks with a card each when no problem appears to exist.

No-one runs Back to Nature, and no-one ever will unless an enchantment-based strategy becomes top-tier instead of just a fun-yet-bad deck.

End Hostilities is more problematic, though I think just being a 5-mana sweeper rather than a 4-mana one is going to make creatureless control not really viable unless aggro decks are really slow post-rotation.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

They tend to overcorrect for potential problems in the form of hosers. Creeping Corrosion, Grafdigger's Cage, Rest in Peace, and Stony Silence all solved problems that didn't really exist. Skylasher would have solved a problem if rotation hadn't completely murdered Delver.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it's pretty safe to run the Constellation deck if you really want to. No one is playing Back to Nature in their sideboards. The G/B Dredge deck, which is more powerful and more popular, gets almost as equally hosed by Rest in Peace, and yet no one playing it is worried about that because they know they'll never run into it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Poor Skylasher, came out almost exactly a year too late.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I feel like no one playing Back to Nature isn't the point, the best you can hope for from Constellation is to get it to the point people start siding it.

With Bestow, there was already Silence the Believers, which I thought might make it into standard to kill Sarkhan dragons, after seeing so many Jund Walker decks yesterday. I'm really not looking forward to him and Nissa together, I don't think Vraska will be missed by that deck much.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The idea behind these hosers is that wizards can't predict what will be dominant when they're making the sets, so having silver bullet cards that aren't needed is a lot better than having to fix standard through banning.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Attorney at Funk posted:

We don't actually know how the two block paradigm is going to affect the release schedules in 2016 when it starts in earnest. Set releases are a little earlier than usual for KTK block, though.

Which means I'll be ringing in my 40th Birthday playing the last round of a Fate Reforged prerelease. I don't know if that's awesome or not.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
More importantly: printing strong hosers to FFL hosers while they're still new doesn't really cost them anything. There might be a few people upset, but nobody is going to quit magic just because a strong counter exists to a new mechanic. I would rather have 10 Rest in Peaces than one Delver (or BBE into Blightning, or JTMS, or Stoneforge Mystic, etc)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

The idea behind these hosers is that wizards can't predict what will be dominant when they're making the sets, so having silver bullet cards that aren't needed is a lot better than having to fix standard through banning.

Hosers aren't intended to just completely invalidate decks, but provide potential answers. A Wrath of God is an answer to creatures, but it's not exactly a complete hoser for creature decks. It does force creature decks to be built around the possibility that decks could run Wraths or have strategies that include them.

Just like how Tormod's Crypt being in M15 doesn't magically invalidate all graveyard based decks. Nobody is running Return to Nature, nobody is running Silence the Believers.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I feel like no one playing Back to Nature isn't the point, the best you can hope for from Constellation is to get it to the point people start siding it.

Constellation doesn't have enough going for it to begin with to convince people to play dedicated sideboard hate. And even if it were, Sphinx's Revelation and Notion Thief have coexisted for sixteen months or so, Sphinx's Revelation decks have regularly been among the best decks in the format in that time, and Notion Thief saw almost no sideboard play despite being less specific hate than Back to Nature (hell, it can swing if you've got nothing else to do). Back to Nature being monocolored is not nearly enough, IMO, to make up for Constellation being well below UWx control's power level.

Just play Constellation if you like it, and stop worrying that the sky is going to fall.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zorak posted:

Hosers aren't intended to just completely invalidate decks, but provide potential answers. A Wrath of God is an answer to creatures, but it's not exactly a complete hoser for creature decks. It does force creature decks to be built around the possibility that decks could run Wraths or have strategies that include them.

Just like how Tormod's Crypt being in M15 doesn't magically invalidate all graveyard based decks. Nobody is running Return to Nature, nobody is running Silence the Believers.

Well, yeah. It just prevents any given deck from being overwhelmingly dominant, because then you show up to the tournament with the anti-deck, and then next week there's anti-anti-decks, and suddenly you've got a healthy meta again.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Yeah it's bad practice (not to mention bad for your mood) to get discouraged by the existence of theoretical hoser cards. Remember how Deicide was supposed to keep people from ever touching Mono-Blue Devotion again? Rest in Peace didn't keep Unburial Rites from being an incredibly strong build-around for the entirety of INN-RTR Standard (including a solid run as the de facto best deck in the format). Cheer up!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

quote:

Just play Constellation if you like it, and stop worrying that the sky is going to fall.

Nice. :golfclap:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Why is VMA stuff spiking today? Did they announce its end or something, or is it just normal go and flow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

The March Hare posted:

Why is VMA stuff spiking today? Did they announce its end or something, or is it just normal go and flow?

At a casual guess? Fetchlands being reprinted. Old fetches were crazy expensive on MODO, which drove up the prices of the new ones as well. With the price of both set to deflate, the costs of everything else will rise thanks to MTGFinance + new players.

One Polluted Delta costs very slightly less than 3 Underground Seas, for example.

Niton fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 2, 2014

• Locked thread