Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

graph posted:

hmm maybe tell them to use their own poo poo but provide a virtualbox image or w/e

we tried to do something similar for some courses here; the cheapest/easiest thing wound up being "linode with a bunch of scripts to tear it down/bring it up and automatic home dir mirrors" so when people break it its not the end of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

uncurable mlady posted:

we tried to do something similar for some courses here; the cheapest/easiest thing wound up being "linode with a bunch of scripts to tear it down/bring it up and automatic home dir mirrors" so when people break it its not the end of the world

linode was the first thing that came to my head

we don't need the homedir mirroring, just a stupid small platform to do rawsocket stuff for network teachings

e: can linode tie into our ldap/ad stuff?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I should really get into virtual machines and stuff. I already know a lot of linux and my PC has 16 GB of RAM. My processor is only a 4670k so no hyper-threading or anything but it should escalate well for 4 or 5 virtual machines. It would also be completely useless to me but that's beside the point.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

program666 posted:

I should really get into virtual machines and stuff

VM poo poo puts you paygrades above cjing

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

graph posted:

VM poo poo puts you paygrades above cjing

I could write random letters too if I wanted, I just choose not to

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

graph posted:

linode was the first thing that came to my head

we don't need the homedir mirroring, just a stupid small platform to do rawsocket stuff for network teachings

e: can linode tie into our ldap/ad stuff?

yeah, should be able to. it's just a server.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

program666 posted:

I should really get into virtual machines and stuff. I already know a lot of linux and my PC has 16 GB of RAM. My processor is only a 4670k so no hyper-threading or anything but it should escalate well for 4 or 5 virtual machines. It would also be completely useless to me but that's beside the point.

I think that 'K' means no hardware virtualisation so all your vms will need special drivers or something I don't remember.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it doesnt really matter for learning tho slap esxi or Hyperv and away you go
(The H in hyperv stands for "hahahahahahahahaHahahaHaaaaahahahahahahahaahahhaaha")

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah, should be able to. it's just a server.

no i meant like the frontend

should prolly give em a call tuesday

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

program666 posted:

I could write random letters too if I wanted, I just choose not to

are you sulk?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
ban sulk :toot:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

I think that 'K' means no hardware virtualisation so all your vms will need special drivers or something I don't remember.

K = unlocked but no VT-d they do have VT-x tho.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

graph posted:

no i meant like the frontend

should prolly give em a call tuesday

oh you mean the linode frontend and control panel? no, that won't tie back to your ad.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
ok this is kinda weird. for about a week now something has been stealing focus from my windows (under OS X 10.9.4); for example i'll have a safari window open and suddenly it'll look like some other window was clicked on (grayed out, ykwim). i've done ps auxww to try and see if there's anything running that looks fishy but i haven't found anything that sticks out and i definitely wasn't clicking on anything else, it just did it while i was typing this and i got the system alert sound every time i hit a key, so something definitely is trying to get to the foreground i guess. the current app in the menu bar doesn't change when this happens either

this also persists across reboots too and its really pissing me off

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flatten & reinstall

oh wait it's a Mac

buy a new one

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

spankmeister posted:

flatten & reinstall

oh wait it's a Mac

buy a new one

qfb

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

spankmeister posted:

flatten & reinstall

oh wait it's a Mac

buy a new one

you can still flatten and reinstall :allears:

i might do that, but i think i'll wait for yo semite. it's a server i don't use very often which is why its even more perplexing

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 30, 2014

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i think i might have found the culprit, actually: logitech control center

it keeps crashing and at times i can't even use my mouse. its a loving shame you need it for the goddamn mouse to work

i killed it though and removed it from launchd and so far it hasn't happened again, but i cant use the forward/back buttons on my mouse

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i mean seriously look at this poo poo

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean seriously look at this poo poo

Looks like mac
Looks like poo poo!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

does logitech still that wierd third party thing that hooks into all kinds of stuff and breaks most of it?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

does logitech still that wierd third party thing that hooks into all kinds of stuff and breaks most of it?

idk probably, how else do you make something that crashes literally every 2 minutes (or in one case in that screenshot, 4 times in less than a minute lmao)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Beeftweeter posted:

it keeps crashing and at times i can't even use my mouse. its a loving shame you need it for the goddamn mouse to work

i killed it though and removed it from launchd and so far it hasn't happened again, but i cant use the forward/back buttons on my mouse
if you wanted to use more than one button on a mouse you shouldn't have bought a mac

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

anthonypants posted:

if you wanted to use more than one button on a mouse you shouldn't have bought a mac

qfb

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

why the gently caress would u use Logitech trash on a Mac get a loving Magic Trackpad you idiot

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the magic trackpad: when you really want the experience of tickling a robot's taint

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

uncurable mlady posted:

why the gently caress would u use Logitech trash on a Mac get a loving Magic Trackpad you idiot

why would i buy a magic trackpad for something i use for maybe 15 minutes every week or so instead of just using an old mouse i had laying around

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Stymie posted:

the magic trackpad: when you really want the experience of tickling a robot's taint

quoting stymie

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

anthonypants posted:

also ahahaha magic trackpad havers

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

also ahahaha magic trackpad havers

in His left hand he holds the book of judgment and in His right the magic trackpad

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Beeftweeter posted:

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

that can probably do what you need, it is the best thing for all things HID

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

wow it's great that this mac thing just works

imagine having to roll your own mouse drivers that would be crazy huh? thankfully on mac everything is working out of the box

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
rip tragic macpad

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

imagine having to roll your own mouse drivers that would be crazy huh? thankfully on mac everything is working out of the box

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

raruler posted:

http://www.orderedbytes.com/controllermate/

that can probably do what you need, it is the best thing for all things HID

thanks i'll check this out in a bit. i tried usb overdrive since it was what i remembered using when logitech didn't have its own drivers but its poo poo

spankmeister posted:

it does work out of the box, you just cant customize what the buttons do or get a low battery alert or whatever

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
lol u have to run the logitech software as admin on windows if u want to be able to change your mouse settings (which you cant save to the mouse) :classiclol:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i like logitech hardware but their software has always been garbage

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

i like logitech hardware but their software has always been garbage

epic thissery

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i7 vs Xeon? word is you can get same grunt for less $$ with Xeon coz no built in graphics or that kind of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

i7 vs Xeon? word is you can get same grunt for less $$ with Xeon coz no built in graphics or that kind of poo poo

xeons are usually more expensive though? plus you need a compatible motherboard and ecc ram (or at least you used to i think?)