Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep, went ahead and spent 100 dollars on a foot-long trinket and an artbook.

Well you spent $5 on a picture of the trinket source, and there ain't no shame in a Cunningham/Kambeitz art book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Dam I wish that the banana model their going with was in the process of ejecting a ship,

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 4, 2014

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Crash74 posted:

Dam I wish that the banana model there going with was in the process of ejecting a ship,

And that you could get frigates and a carrier that fits inside. :)

Any news on the international preorders?

makere fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 27, 2014

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'm seriously considering eating the bullet and buying one of those

Someone please stop me, 100 bucks is a lot

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Vengarr posted:

Hmm, well, think of it this way: would you buy a statuette of an anime girl with boobs that light up? This is very much a similar kind of splurging on a nerdy decoration.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm, well, think of it this way: would you buy a statuette of an anime girl with boobs that light up? This is very much a similar kind of splurging on a nerdy decoration.

Ok thanks I think the moment has passed now

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vengarr posted:

You shouldn't because that's maybe one more that could be given to the units set aside for international pre-orders? Why, yes, I do live outside the US.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That Dust Wars trailer/storyboard is fantastic. I do like Homeworld 2 a lot though, it is probably one of my favorite games ever; I played it before HW1 :v: and playing 1 after 2 was kinda hard in that the graphics were hella bad in comparison. Also some of the interface decisions in 1 puzzled me.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
If Borderlands 2's track record is anything to go by it all, I can't wait for a game that is pretty fun in the first half, but then quickly turns to an absolutly tedious, grindy poo poo pile right about at the point where most games made by any other developer would really start to hit their stride and get good.

And I have no idea how they will do it, but I have confidence in their ability to find a way to eventually make even the most common, boring trash enemies nigh-invincible bullet sponges that take approximately three fourths of your resources to kill per encounter.

Also I can't wait for drop rates in a single player game that make Korean MMOs seem generous.

What I'm saying is that Gearbox is poo poo.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 1, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If it makes you feel better none of that can apply to Homeworld in any way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's not to say they don't have the capacity (or lack of) to completely butcher Homeworld 3 if it happens.

Also I should point out there are beta signups for Homeworld Shipbreakers on their site now, but literally nothing else has changed from them on the media front.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 1, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

RBA Starblade posted:

If it makes you feel better none of that can apply to Homeworld in any way.

Oh don't worry I'm sure they'll find a way to take the most annoying and lovely possible parts of whatever genre they decide to make the next Homeworld and totally define the entire game by them.

And don't kid yourself, bullet sponginess and having to grind is something that can easily affect any game that contains killable things. "Hey, let's make the late game trash do about 30% relative damage to your fleet per shot, but give them 10x the relative health of the equivalent early game trash so fights take ten times as long! That way battles will seem hard fought and rewarding!"

:negative:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 1, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Oh don't worry I'm sure they'll find a way to take the most annoying and lovely possible parts of whatever genre they decide to make the next Homeworld and totally define the entire game by them.

And don't kid yourself, bullet sponginess and having to grind is something that can easily affect any game that contains killable things. "Hey, let's make the late game trash do about 30% relative damage to your fleet per shot, but give them 10x the relative health of the equivalent early game trash so fights take ten times as long! That way battles will seem hard fought and rewarding!"

Sometimes it feels like they balanced late game stuff around Gaige and Psycho character because the damage output those two characters have is insane and more than enough to balance against nearly any enemy of any level. Me and a friend still play and with just those two we rarely run into much sponginess outside of bosses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreatGreen posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess they won't make 16 different versions of interceptors and frigates to do this with. Besides that only happened in TVHM (which sucked and my group gave up on).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess they won't make 16 different versions of interceptors and frigates to do this with. Besides that only happened in TVHM (which sucked and my group gave up on).

Well, they don't have to, they just have to make one and make it bigger and apply different shader effects to it :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Is there any estimated date that the 'remastered' games will be released?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So I replayed the first game again, and holy poo poo the third mission got to me again.
From a pure gameplay standpoint, it a really lovely mission. Nothing to do, just sitting there and destroying four ships. But really, the music, the fact that you just sit there and watch those last people of your race being rescued. Big loving kudos to the voiceactors at well.

Can't wait for the remastered version.

e: I think it really is one of the very few RTS that manged to merge itself with story so amazingly well.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Michaellaneous posted:

So I replayed the first game again, and holy poo poo the third mission got to me again.
From a pure gameplay standpoint, it a really lovely mission. Nothing to do, just sitting there and destroying four ships. But really, the music, the fact that you just sit there and watch those last people of your race being rescued. Big loving kudos to the voiceactors at well.

Can't wait for the remastered version.

e: I think it really is one of the very few RTS that manged to merge itself with story so amazingly well.

It really is an anomaly in that regard, despite there being only a tiny handful of named characters, you can actually get emotionally attached to what's happening.

As for the third mission, I'd capture all four assault frigates by sending a wave of salvage corvettes to pester them. I'd have enough to capture one at a time while the other corvettes wrestle with the frigates to keep them from getting clean shots at the cryo trays or the other corvettes. It really made the mission more interesting from a gameplay standpoint.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Neurion posted:

It really is an anomaly in that regard, despite there being only a tiny handful of named characters, you can actually get emotionally attached to what's happening.

As for the third mission, I'd capture all four assault frigates by sending a wave of salvage corvettes to pester them. I'd have enough to capture one at a time while the other corvettes wrestle with the frigates to keep them from getting clean shots at the cryo trays or the other corvettes. It really made the mission more interesting from a gameplay standpoint.

Yeah, capturing them all is pretty good. If you did not save all of the cyro pods you are worse than hitler, however. So I would always put the lives of the remaining race higher.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Salvaging everything is the way to play. If you didn't have a carrier and two destroyers by the end of mission 5, you were doing it wrong

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Orv posted:

That's not to say they don't have the capacity (or lack of) to completely butcher Homeworld 3 if it happens.

Also I should point out there are beta signups for Homeworld Shipbreakers on their site now, but literally nothing else has changed from them on the media front.

Link Please.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crash74 posted:

Link Please.

Not hard to find

That said the whole thing is probably undergoing a complete redesign as it was going to originally be a free to play RTS and I believe now its going to have a single player campaign and a regular retail release.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Thought you meant that there was a new one up at gearbox. That signup page has been there since last april with no updates when they were doing that sketchy 100 dollar beta thing. That whole scheme was probably the most :effort: attempt at getting money out of people I have seen in a while.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1OxNVYfeLA

Footage of a remastered Homeworld 1 cutscene from Pax. Also a lot of info about the collectors edition statue. No gameplay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1OxNVYfeLA

Footage of a remastered Homeworld 1 cutscene from Pax. Also a lot of info about the collectors edition statue. No gameplay.

Too bad they can't outright re-record the Bentusi/narrator dialogue since the voice actor died. Even with the touched up audio you can tell its pretty low quality.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Hmmmm, the remastered cutscene looks good but it's really not even in the same iconic style as the original. Can't say I'm a fan of that decision.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ghetto wormhole posted:

Hmmmm, the remastered cutscene looks good but it's really not even in the same iconic style as the original. Can't say I'm a fan of that decision.

It has a much less "hand-drawn" feel to it I'll grant you but really the only big difference in a matter of detail. It's always hard to say whether things like that were a stylistic choice or technological/budget limitation but considering HW2's cutscenes (or HW:C even if that was a different studio) I wouldn't be surprised if Relic could have made their cutscenes like the remaster in the video or more like HW2 they would have. Making the image appear more 3D and adding details to the objects in it doesn't really change anything to me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kibayasu posted:

Too bad they can't outright re-record the Bentusi/narrator dialogue since the voice actor died. Even with the touched up audio you can tell its pretty low quality.

All the voices are going to be like that. You'd change one, it'll just stand out.

This actor did narration for both Homeworld and the Toonami dub of Gundam Wing in just about the same year. I have to admit that I enjoy listening to him babble about space colonies.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The pencil drawing appearance in the original cutscenes had charm to it and I feel like it loses it in the remaster.

Rewatched it and it looks okay. They seemed to have done half and half with the CGI and the drawing thing and it sorta fits.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 1, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I think that Homeworld 1 had absolutely amazing voiceactors all across the board. All off the banter and chatter in cutscenes was brought over with a lot of emotions despite the lack of any visual reference.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Michaellaneous posted:

I think that Homeworld 1 had absolutely amazing voiceactors all across the board. All off the banter and chatter in cutscenes was brought over with a lot of emotions despite the lack of any visual reference.

"The subject did not survive interrogation."

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

"The subject did not survive interrogation."

Exactly that missions. That mission was so loving mindblowingly awesome. You can even hear the pause he makes when he informs you that they have a recording of what happens.

Details man. And the games soundtrack.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Oh god its going to be land combat Homeworld with a wacky art style isn't it.

I like the borderlands art style :shrug:. I also thought the jokes in borderlands weren't that bad. I mean, a lot weren't funny, but outside of one or two things (anime loli) I thought it was mostly inoffensive. It felt like a worse executed Portal 2.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I like the borderlands art style :shrug:. I also thought the jokes in borderlands weren't that bad. I mean, a lot weren't funny, but outside of one or two things (anime loli) I thought it was mostly inoffensive. It felt like a worse executed Portal 2.

Quite the old quote there.

Michaellaneous posted:

Exactly that missions. That mission was so loving mindblowingly awesome. You can even hear the pause he makes when he informs you that they have a recording of what happens.

Details man. And the games soundtrack.

I actually think most of the voice work for HW1 was pretty flat but it was good when it needed to be which might be why those moments stand out more. Better than HW2's voice acting at least, which had no character at all. Cataclysm is still easily the best, conveying more emotion than 99% of voice acted games today could hope to.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

Quite the old quote there.

As part of a community who include artists from Blackbird Interactive I can confirm that no, it does not have the BL2 art style. When it was just Shipbreakers it already had a style very reminiscent of Homeworld.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The Homeworld games have always had fantastic art direction; HW1 looked great for the time but in all honesty it aged terribly, where as HW2 looks gorgeous even today. You can see some of the same design elements cross over into CoH, though it's odd their only other game, Impossible Creatures, looks nothing like any of the others. While you can see some of those same elements making their way into Shipbreakers I'm curious to see how Gearbox spruces things up. By the time Relic closed shop most of the original staff had jumped ship and I have no idea where they are these days.

I'm not sure why Gearbox is keeping such a tight lid on details for the Homeworld games and Shipbreakers, but at least in the Shipbreakers trailer the cut-scenes are reminiscent of the Karak cinematic at the beginning of HW1 and their APC thing looks like the pulled it right from same video. Will be interesting to see what finally comes of it.

Also, I'm glad they sorted out shipping to Canada at least - I finally have a use for the Amazon gift vouchers I received last year. I'm looking forward to my bitchin' new Mothership lamp in the coming months.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Psychotic Weasel posted:

their only other game, Impossible Creatures,
By the time Relic closed shop

uhhhhhhh, I think you may be confused

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

ghetto wormhole posted:

uhhhhhhh, I think you may be confused

Meant to say "one of their only other" games. I thought they died with THQ but I see Sega has kept them going, perhaps to poo poo out even more Dawn of War games.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The Homeworld games have always had fantastic art direction; HW1 looked great for the time but in all honesty it aged terribly, where as HW2 looks gorgeous even today. You can see some of the same design elements cross over into CoH, though it's odd their only other game, Impossible Creatures, looks nothing like any of the others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic_Entertainment#List_of_video_games

Here, hope that helps you speak authoritatively about Relic Entertainment in future.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm not sure why Gearbox is keeping such a tight lid on details for the Homeworld games and Shipbreakers
For the HW series, it's probably because if they just do the same stuff again, the only people getting misty-eyed over Kharak etc. are people that are trying to, and if they don't do the same stuff again, the kind of fans who buy pricey nerd lamps will be dismayed and will have a <100% chance of buying HW2 Remastered.

Shipbreakers, maybe they've just done gently caress all after binning the abortive first project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

jBrereton posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic_Entertainment#List_of_video_games

Here, hope that helps you speak authoritatively about Relic Entertainment in future.
Thanks, I'll turn to Wikipedia for all my information needs now. Of the 17 entries there half of them are expansion packs and most of those are for the same game, but whatever helps pad their resume.

jBrereton posted:

For the HW series, it's probably because if they just do the same stuff again, the only people getting misty-eyed over Kharak etc. are people that are trying to, and if they don't do the same stuff again, the kind of fans who buy pricey nerd lamps will be dismayed and will have a <100% chance of buying HW2 Remastered.

Shipbreakers, maybe they've just done gently caress all after binning the abortive first project?
Fortunately both Homeworld and Homeworld 2 are included in the remastered collection, so maybe they're trying to pack all that disappointment into one package? They've already confirmed they're just retouching the graphics and audio, not anything else. They're even throwing in the originals in case you want to get nostalgic and teary eyed with them to relive your youth.

• Locked thread