Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm sure I tested this at some point but I think I've forgotten the result, but do counter damage bonuses apply to all damage or only physical damage? (I have no idea why I think that the latter might be true)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm sure I tested this at some point but I think I've forgotten the result, but do counter damage bonuses apply to all damage or only physical damage? (I have no idea why I think that the latter might be true)

All damage. But only thrust (which can only be physical) damage is boosted by the Old Leo Ring.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In heavy armor I can survive three hits. The giant and the homing arrow at the end shut me down instantly. This is awful. None of these items are worth a poo poo right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

In heavy armor I can survive three hits. The giant and the homing arrow at the end shut me down instantly. This is awful. None of these items are worth a poo poo right?

They're all consumables so no.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I can see what they were going for with agility - a way of making dodgy characters more distinct from their heavily armoured counterparts - but they made the default iFrames too low, and the effect of armour too cruddy to really make it a meaningful gameplay choice.

You can become immune to all elemental damage with the right armour + stat setup, armour is definitely not "too cruddy to really make it a meaningful gameplay choice".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

They're all consumables so no.

That's good. Super Smelter is funny and not too bad but jesus christ his sword is gigantic. Healing is impossible here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The Promised Walk of Peace or whatever that was at the end of the Iron Passage is a real dick move.

e: Oh I can't run past anything here because they all have super-tracking. Great.

Yes you can. The first set of enemies is set up in a way that makes it hard to get by, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes you can. The first set of enemies is set up in a way that makes it hard to get by, though.

They did jump attacks that did 180 degree spins in mid air to hit me. Then delayed each subsequent one so I couldn't get up. I got down there ignoring the archers, mages, sorcerers, and giants though. Super Smelter's not really that bad either. Just real resistant to everything this character does, but that's nothing special anymore. I like how his sword's basically a flamethrower.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 2, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If anything, SD is a dead ringer for balrog, his stage 3 flaming sword even bends as he swings it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fume Knight's a pretty rad fight. I like how Carmillion's here, even though he's a trap because dark does jack poo poo to him.

e: Steelheart Ellie is a champ in here. Hm, I have 11 soul fragments and 1 wedge left. Wonder where that last statue is?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 2, 2014

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

They're not the only one to have durability issues, I always beeline for the bracing knuckle ring in Lost Bastille and it still kinda sucks until the +1 version.

That said, broken in 3 mobs is something else.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait, I'm looking around and there are 11 soul fragments + 1 for killing Fume. I have 11 right now, 1 wedge left, and 1 more to get once I kill Sir Alonne. How's that work?

e: It doesn't and I am stupid. That's a branch. :downs:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

That's good. Super Smelter is funny and not too bad but jesus christ his sword is gigantic. Healing is impossible here.
Just chug when he does his giant attacks with lots of recovery, like when he does his big jump attack into fart or his big overhead swing or when he transitions states. You might be able to chug after his draw slash, too, but I forget.

RBA Starblade posted:

They did jump attacks that did 180 degree spins in mid air to hit me. Then delayed each subsequent one so I couldn't get up. I got down there ignoring the archers, mages, sorcerers, and giants though. Super Smelter's not really that bad either. Just real resistant to everything this character does, but that's nothing special anymore. I like how his sword's basically a flamethrower.
Fat roll might be slower, but you can still fat roll through attacks and progress through each section without taking damage. For the last area, I always hug the left wall, and I'm usually fine. If I take too long I might get hit by an arrow or if I mess up a roll, I might get hit by the Smelter, but that's about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Fat roll might be slower, but you can still fat roll through attacks and progress through each section without taking damage. For the last area, I always hug the left wall, and I'm usually fine. If I take too long I might get hit by an arrow or if I mess up a roll, I might get hit by the Smelter, but that's about it.

How? I can see tanking it enough to kill the ashen warriors, but between the great arrows and heavenly thunder and sunlight spears (all of which have staggered timing) that doesn't seem possible. I got through, but profound still and promised walk of peace didn't make it easy.

Also the prowlers are pretty good. I love when the game has a single dude show up, you turn the corner, and there are half a dozen of his buddies.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Generally if you can get to the last floor with health, just sprint through to the boss and chug back to full while Smelter's getting ready. Zig-zag roll so you're only involving one attack per dodge.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
idk I never really had much trouble dashing through the Iron Passage, even when they cast that fatroll spell on you. In fact I think that's what they expect you to do considering what a ballache it would be to actually fight everything in there. It doesn't seem any harder than dashing up those stairs to the Ancient Dragon, for instance, and those dragoon guys can sprint at you and have a PC-like fighting style that makes them pretty loving dangerous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Alonne is a cool dude and probably deserved a better death than dying to me and some npcs just beating on him in a corner. The npcs did 20 hp a hit. :v:

Tae posted:

Generally if you can get to the last floor with health, just sprint through to the boss and chug back to full while Smelter's getting ready. Zig-zag roll so you're only involving one attack per dodge.

Yeah that's what we did in the end. It's hard for me to fight my "kill everything" impulse though!

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

THE loving MOON posted:

Edit: Except the ruin sentinals. I've played this game through half a dozen times, and I still think they're one of the hardest bosses in the game for the time you get to them. It's easier if you summon guys, but then you run the risk of having some retard knock off the first one before you're ready for the other two.

If the first sentinel falls off or gets knocked off, just wait a few seconds and he'll jump back up to the platform, unless someone else is down there and engages him for whatever reason.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tamayachi posted:

If the first sentinel falls off or gets knocked off, just wait a few seconds and he'll jump back up to the platform, unless someone else is down there and engages him for whatever reason.

I managed to get killed by his sweep when he jumped back up yesterday. I was using a homeward bone. :saddowns:

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

How? I can see tanking it enough to kill the ashen warriors, but between the great arrows and heavenly thunder and sunlight spears (all of which have staggered timing) that doesn't seem possible. I got through, but profound still and promised walk of peace didn't make it easy.

Also the prowlers are pretty good. I love when the game has a single dude show up, you turn the corner, and there are half a dozen of his buddies.
If you've given the casters enough time to progress from casting Promised Walk of Peace to casting Heavenly Thunder/Blinding Bolt/Sunlight Spear, then you're too slow. By the time I get near the hole to the next area is when they're in the middle of casting/finishing the spell. Likewise with the great arrows. If you're moving fast enough, the dude will fire maybe one before you drop down.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

THE loving MOON posted:

I managed to get killed by his sweep when he jumped back up yesterday. I was using a homeward bone. :saddowns:

Oh yeah, there's that part too :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nahxela posted:

If you've given the casters enough time to progress from casting Promised Walk of Peace to casting Heavenly Thunder/Blinding Bolt/Sunlight Spear, then you're too slow. By the time I get near the hole to the next area is when they're in the middle of casting/finishing the spell. Likewise with the great arrows. If you're moving fast enough, the dude will fire maybe one before you drop down.

Seriously, you can just run past everything. You'll probably have to fight the first set of melee enemies and the last guy blocking the drop down in the second set but that's about it. They don't follow you down.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Nah, I didn't need to fight any of them when making the run to Smelter after getting all the items.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Seriously, you can just run past everything. You'll probably have to fight the first set of melee enemies and the last guy blocking the drop down in the second set but that's about it. They don't follow you down.

Fighting those guys gave the casters enough time to get both profound still (which really only mattered for Great Heal, my phantoms were in rough shape too) and promised walk of peace cast on me though (two hits each guy with the roaring halberd). Sprinting got me several axes in the back, but I guess I am a bit heavy at 60% load.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't know what to tell you then because I could get past just fine.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Tamayachi posted:

Oh yeah, there's that part too :v:

I still say they're one of the hardest bosses. Of course I also rank the Gargoyles, Graverobbers, Throne Guys, and Skeleton Lords (with certain builds), as some of the harder ones. Seems like there's a common theme. :haw:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE loving MOON posted:

I still say they're one of the hardest bosses. Of course I also rank the Gargoyles, Graverobbers, Throne Guys, and Skeleton Lords (with certain builds), as some of the harder ones. Seems like there's a common theme. :haw:

No matter how many times I go back to them the ruin sentinels nearly always mess me up. Them, Freja, and Vendrick are my biggest problems. And the Skeleton Lords depending on how observant about the bonewheels I am. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Genocyber posted:

All damage. But only thrust (which can only be physical) damage is boosted by the Old Leo Ring.
Ah, that explains why I wasn't getting a big damage boost from it. If I have 35/16/28/28 Str/Dex/Int/Fai, am I going to get more out of a normal estoc or a dark-infused one? Especially if I like Dark Weapon. Looking at it in a character planner isn't the best since it doesn't take resistances into account. Or should I just suck it up and carry two, one for buffing and one for general use?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The boss I will always probably die to is the giant Rat dog. He's not hard, the loving 5 rats that inflict Toxin almost instantly is the true bullshit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't know what to tell you then because I could get past just fine.

The console thread was talking about it too and it turns out the other path isn't a dead-end. You're not talking about going right instead of left from the bonfire are you?

quote:

He's not hard, the loving 5 rats that inflict Toxin almost instantly is the true bullshit.

Oh I forgot about that guy since there's no real reason to go fight him. gently caress him too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not talking about the stupid fireball timed gate, I'm talking about the main path through the level.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not talking about the stupid fireball timed gate, I'm talking about the main path through the level.

Oh. Well I don't know then, at least I was able to brute force my way through.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Unpredictable bosses are difficult bosses. Bosses tend to kill me when I chug Estus at an inopportune moment; being able to cancel an Estus chug at any point would trivialise every single boss in the game.

Ruin Sentinels have absolutely no safe time to chug. They can decide to leapsmash you at any time. They turtle a lot and then execute very fast and powerful attacks with no warning. They spread out so it's very hard to track both simultaneously and then use devastatingly powerful distance-closer attacks from long range. And getting back to them after they kill you with their bullshit for the 10th time in a row is a gigantic pain in the rear end. They are just an incredibly loving lovely boss fight all around.

Mytha has a bunch of really fast attacks that can catch you off guard, including her unblockable grab. Her spin2win attack is really hard to avoid; is it even possible to dodge through all of its active frames?

Najka is predictable-ish but her attacks have very weird timing and she's extremely aggressive. Her torso attacks rapidly and her scorpion half's attacks wind up very slowly, to the point where they'll nail you coming out of your roll if you immediately roll when they start up.

Velstadt is the fakeout king. He spams his vertical hammer smash and you just have to stand there and not punish him for it because he has this habit of going from re-shouldering his hammer to doing a horizontal swipe at the last moment. Also that vertical hammer smash will track you if you immediately roll as he prepares to do it, but you learn to wait a bit on that one after your first three deaths. The only attack he has that's always safe to punish is his charging thrust attack, and even that is fast enough that he can catch you off guard with it, so don't ever tap out your stamina against him. Has the absolute worst journey back to his arena in the entire game.

Fun bosses?

The boss I have the most fun fighting is probably Old Dragonslayer. He's not that predictable and you do have to stay on your toes against him, but he doesn't have any total bullshit moves and his unblockable gently caress You attacks are all clearly telegraphed (spear pointed straight up = get ready to dodge!).

The two Dragonriders in Drangleic Castle are quite challenging; they're more like what the Ruin Sentinels should have been.

Mirror Knight is quite fun too, although he does tend to get stuck repeatedly doing lightning sweeps. It's good that he isn't able to jump clear across the arena though; he can jump a fair bit to close distance but not arbitrarily far.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
The bosses i have the most fun fighting have predictable attack patterns that get stuck in a loop if i circle around them in one direction and are the easiest bosses in the game because i am bad

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I think you need to go to Drangelic Castle and fight the Ruin Sentinels there because they have anything but fast attacks.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

The bosses i have the most fun fighting have predictable attack patterns that get stuck in a loop if i circle around them in one direction and are the easiest bosses in the game because i am bad

Smelter Demon is probably the most difficult boss in the game, but he's also fair unless you think it's cheap that you need to eat lifegems to stay close to him. He doesn't really have any randomness to him, he just attacks a lot and you can't block him. The end result is an intense and difficult fight with tons of rolling and close calls.

Then there are bosses like the Throne duo who are weak alone but they stick close to each other so it's just a chore to kill them as a melee. You need to bait them to be separate every time you want to attack. They will also let you heal most of the time but sometimes one of them will randomly close the gap on you in an instant and murk your undead rear end when you try to heal. The end result is a lovely chore of a bossfight that mostly just tests whether you're patient enough to lame the whole thing out.

I think most of the bosses he called bullshit are not in fact that, but he does have a point in that making bosses have a random chance of punishing you for an action is kind of dumb and it doesn't really make the game harder. You just die more.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 2, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mr Dog posted:

Unpredictable bosses are difficult bosses. Bosses tend to kill me when I chug Estus at an inopportune moment; being able to cancel an Estus chug at any point would trivialise every single boss in the game.

Ruin Sentinels have absolutely no safe time to chug. They can decide to leapsmash you at any time. They turtle a lot and then execute very fast and powerful attacks with no warning. They spread out so it's very hard to track both simultaneously and then use devastatingly powerful distance-closer attacks from long range. And getting back to them after they kill you with their bullshit for the 10th time in a row is a gigantic pain in the rear end. They are just an incredibly loving lovely boss fight all around.

Mytha has a bunch of really fast attacks that can catch you off guard, including her unblockable grab. Her spin2win attack is really hard to avoid; is it even possible to dodge through all of its active frames?

Najka is predictable-ish but her attacks have very weird timing and she's extremely aggressive. Her torso attacks rapidly and her scorpion half's attacks wind up very slowly, to the point where they'll nail you coming out of your roll if you immediately roll when they start up.

Velstadt is the fakeout king. He spams his vertical hammer smash and you just have to stand there and not punish him for it because he has this habit of going from re-shouldering his hammer to doing a horizontal swipe at the last moment. Also that vertical hammer smash will track you if you immediately roll as he prepares to do it, but you learn to wait a bit on that one after your first three deaths. The only attack he has that's always safe to punish is his charging thrust attack, and even that is fast enough that he can catch you off guard with it, so don't ever tap out your stamina against him. Has the absolute worst journey back to his arena in the entire game.

Fun bosses?

The boss I have the most fun fighting is probably Old Dragonslayer. He's not that predictable and you do have to stay on your toes against him, but he doesn't have any total bullshit moves and his unblockable gently caress You attacks are all clearly telegraphed (spear pointed straight up = get ready to dodge!).

The two Dragonriders in Drangleic Castle are quite challenging; they're more like what the Ruin Sentinels should have been.

Mirror Knight is quite fun too, although he does tend to get stuck repeatedly doing lightning sweeps. It's good that he isn't able to jump clear across the arena though; he can jump a fair bit to close distance but not arbitrarily far.

On the contrary, the unpredictable bosses are the most fun ones in the game for me precisely because they're unpredictable. They're difficult that way, and sleepwalking my way through the rest of the bosses in the game because I have their patterns memorized isn't nearly as much fun to me. You have to pay attention to their small clues, and unless you're swinging an UGS you should have enough time to roll.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I've never understood people saying that Velstadt/Vendrick have some horrible gauntlet on the run back. It might take a little while to fight them all, but those Syan knights are complete chumps. Even when you're fighting two at once, you have more than enough room to maneuver and they're so easy to sync up and give you a million years to punish their whiffs.

Whenever I sunbro there, it's a goddamn carnival of backstabs. They don't stand a chance, getting their skulls crushed and getting thrown into the air on polearms left and right.

Similarly, once I got the ruin sentinels, I almost never died to them. Fighting two at once is a complete nightmare, but fighting one is ridiculously simple. They are probably the weakest to circle-strafing of any boss outside of the skeleton lords. So as long as you have even a single summon (which is ideal so their health doesn't get too high) they're a piece of cake.

They're probably my favorite boss to fight.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I fought most of the bosses in the game solo but now gently caress that I like playing with other people, and fighting the ruin sentinels three on three is a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

On the contrary, the unpredictable bosses are the most fun ones in the game for me precisely because they're unpredictable. They're difficult that way, and sleepwalking my way through the rest of the bosses in the game because I have their patterns memorized isn't nearly as much fun to me.

Well, there's unpredictable in the sense that you don't know what they're going to do next and it makes the fight more exciting. But then there's unpredictable in the sense that you've exploited the same opening to heal in between a boss's attacks for like 5 times in a row, and then the boss just decides he wants to hit you right now and you die. And the next time you fight him, you will still have to exploit the same openings like you were doing before, except you're just thinking "I hope he doesn't do that thing this time around" while you do it.