Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I would've liked FF9 more if the villain wasn't dressed in a slutty halloween costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fister Roboto posted:

Good luck legitimately obtaining a copy of Suikoden II for less than $100, though. The others won't exactly be cheap, either.
I got mine for twenty bucks long after it was a collector's item :v:

No instruction manual, though, but as they say on the internet, idgaf. It was motherfuckin' Suikoden 2 for less than the price of four gallons of milk.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tae posted:

More RPGs should follow the FFX method of letting anyone in at anytime, and I don't know why there hasn't been one since, especially in a copycat industry.

Breath if Fire IV does this too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

No instruction manual, though, but as they say on the internet, idgaf. It was motherfuckin' Suikoden 2 for less than the price of four gallons of milk.

I hate you a lot.

I paid $70 for my copy, and this was back in 2004. It was worth every penny.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bought Suiko2 on release because I was lucky enough to find Suiko1 in a bargain bin and loved it.

As a young kid, I read a review of Suikoden 2 by someone who clearly didn't play beyond the first couple of hours and absolutely hated it, kind of like how IGN got possibly the worst possible person to review God Hand. Not listening to the review was a good decision, in retrospect. It was a game that looked old-fashioned and came onto the scene quietly during the big hullaballoo of the post-FF7 PSX-era JRPG boom, meaning it didn't get quite as much attention at the time as it probably should have deserved. It turned into something of a sleeper hit, though, and had already earned a reputation as a cult classic by the time graphics progressed to the point where Playstation-era polygons began to look eye-wateringly dated while sprite-based games retained their appeal.

While most other PSX-era JRPGs haven't aged very well, Suikoden 2 still holds up. I'd rate it as my personal favorite RPG on the original Playstation. Luca Blight is a damned son of a bitch and probably one of the most intimidating and effectively despicable villains of the generation. It's not often where games re-enact the Rape of Nanking and force you to watch.

Also its intro movie was pretty neato for its time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4eGQ9MIWM

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'd rate it as my personal favorite RPG on the original Playstation.

Man, that's such a tough call to make. If you found an RPG on the Playstation, it was probably good. Wild ARMs was a little iffy and don't loving quote Beyond the Beyond at me, that's the exception that proves the rule.

I should add I greatly enjoyed Wild ARMs before FF VII, and went back to finish it later. Weird twist.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

How shameful should I feel for never playing Suikoden 1 or 2?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

dreffen posted:

How shameful should I feel for never playing Suikoden 1 or 2?

Honestly? Not very. While they're pretty well-known as diamonds in the rough (the first one very rough) these days, they flew under a lot of people's radar back when Final Fantasy was still a gaming juggernaut. I only started to see word of mouth about the Suiko series spreading long after the first games went out of print and people started complaining about ridiculous auction prices.

So on the contrary, I just feel lucky I managed to get on the ground floor with Suikoden, long before the fourth game drat well killed the franchise.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Tae posted:

More RPGs should follow the FFX method of letting anyone in at anytime, and I don't know why there hasn't been one since, especially in a copycat industry.

And you sort of could with FFXII, where you could swap people out at any time as long as they weren't getting targeted by anything. Unfortunately in practice, you were being targeted by attacks or healing almost constantly, so...

It's sad no one will pick up the Suikoden license that's willing to just slap the old games on PSN or something. Sure, they're still pretty niche and wouldn't make millions, but I can't imagine it's all that expensive to do.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I got lucky when my friend lended me his bootleg copy of Suikoden II back in high school. I never even actually finished it, but I got far enough that I still have very fond memories since it was really different from anything else I had played up to that point, and very memorable moments as far jrpgs go.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The White Dragon posted:

I happened to find Suikoden II from a used items store as a kid without actually having any idea what it was, it was practically free as well. I actually have the case on my hands right now, it's a bit chipped from one corner but otherwise perfectly fine. :3:

Definitely still one of my best gaming purchases, Suikoden II is a strong contender for my favorite JRPG of all time. Some dungeons drag a little bit but aside from that it's just a really solid game, the story is interesting, the characters are likeable, the music is great and it has some of the best villains in video games.

It even has alternate endings, one of my favorite moments in gaming is around the midpoint when your sister who is tired of the war and fighting comes to you and asks you to just run away from everything with her, basically say gently caress it to watching people die, leading armies and nations and everything and just live a peaceful life away from it all. While in most games the "Agree/Disagree" prompt wouldn't mean anything, in this game you can actually do that. It's not even a cutscene, you manually make your way away from the area, and while your allies catch up to you and plead you to rethink because without you they're screwed, you can insist on leaving and ultimately the game ends in the middle, complete with a unique ending screen.

Especially back in the day it was such a cool thing and even today few games have the balls to do something like that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kanfy posted:

It even has alternate endings, one of my favorite moments in gaming is around the midpoint when your sister who is tired of the war and fighting comes to you and asks you to just run away from everything with her, basically say gently caress it to watching people die, leading armies and nations and everything and just live a peaceful life away from it all. While in most games the "Agree/Disagree" prompt wouldn't mean anything, in this game you can actually do that. It's not even a cutscene, you manually make your way away from the area, and while your allies catch up to you and plead you to rethink because without you they're screwed, you can insist on leaving and ultimately the game ends in the middle, complete with a unique ending screen.

I did this the first time I played it, but I pussed out at the last second and went so far as to soft reset because I thought I'd lose some characters. But nope, that part of the game is so well-designed that you can actually do that whole sequence right up to the decision that leads to an early ending with all the differences in the roster and still be able to get the perfect ending. Very smart, kind of deceptive.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kanfy posted:

It even has alternate endings, one of my favorite moments in gaming is around the midpoint when spoiler

Suikoden 4 had something similar to that I'll spoil here because that game is awful. Early in the game you get a ship, and the slow, unmanageable thing gets wrecked on an island. You can say gently caress it and settle down there, your icons go all Cast Away and everything.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
FFXII also lets you switch out characters in mid-battle, but they can't be targeted/acting. You can tell if you're outmatched if you start desperately switching out dead characters for live ones.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

commy gun posted:

I would've liked FF9 more if the villain wasn't dressed in a slutty halloween costume.

that's a dumb reason to not like a game

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I would point out Kefka looked pretty stupid but I guess that was sprites and it was easier to ignore.

Also Kuja is the best villain the FF series has ever seen. And I say this as a person who doesn't really like FFIX anymore.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I would point out Kefka looked pretty stupid but I guess that was sprites and it was easier to ignore.

Also Kuja is the best villain the FF series has ever seen. And I say this as a person who doesn't really like FFIX anymore.
I like the villain who was actually an anthropomorphic tree powered by hatred.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nihilarian posted:

I like the villain who was actually an anthropomorphic tree powered by hatred.

Exdeath is the best Final Fantasy game because he makes viscera see the light of day.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I hate FF9 because Kuja makes me get a big boner and that's gay :smith:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Fun fact: Pretty anime guys are the best part of anime, at all times. I've never played FF9 but Kuja is a pretty pretty guy so he is clearly pretty cool.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yo homes, all final bosses should be dressed up in slutty Halloween costumes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eh, I think we need more of the spontaneously becoming angels thing for our final bosses.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Trees and what the actual fucks or bust. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've only ever played Suikoden V and couldn't get into it.
I know androgyny is commonplace in JRPG but the main character of that takes the cake.

More hosed-up, horrifying, Lovecraftian end bosses would be swell. There's only so many twelve winged, one-winged angels a guy can take.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 2, 2014

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Every time someone talks about Suikoden 2, I must post this.

http://www.herrvillain.com/suikoden/GS2_Patch_2.01.065b_2013-12-19.zip

As everyone knows, Suikoden 2 NTSC was one of the buggiest games released.

This patch fixes up most, if not all, of the bugs.

It even lets you pick which bugs to fix.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

that's a dumb reason to not like a game

I really like the game. All the guy had to do was wear some pants.

NikkolasKing posted:

Nah. Fashion tastes aside he does the cartoony cackles and exaggerated taunts too often. I get what they were going for but I don't think the personality served the character well.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I don't see how you can hate Kuja when FF9 is full of goofy poo poo already. At least he seems to be aware he's stuck in a Square game and decides to go nuts.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

commy gun posted:

Why?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gologle posted:

Yo homes, all final bosses should be dressed up in slutty Halloween costumes.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

More hosed-up, horrifying, Lovecraftian end bosses would be swell. There's only so many twelve winged, one-winged angels a guy can take.

Bosses based on biblical angels would be cool actually. Giant wheels of fire lined with unblinking eyes, crying out to be not afraid as it smites you with the glory of the True Final Boss's creation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don Gato posted:

Bosses based on biblical angels would be cool actually. Giant wheels of fire lined with unblinking eyes, crying out to be not afraid as it smites you with the glory of the True Final Boss's creation.

Though not literally biblical angels, that's basically Bayonetta you're describing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Don Gato posted:

The last time Japan actually rolled with this, it was in Actraiser 2. The enemy design was loving fantastic. Unfortunately, it was nothing at all like Actraiser 1, full of clunky controls and blind jumps justified by a crappy glide move, and you couldn't even fight the last boss unless you played on the hardest difficulty, which is basically impossible unless you're like Dectilon or Bellmaker.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

commy gun posted:

Nah. Fashion tastes aside he does the cartoony cackles and exaggerated taunts too often. I get what they were going for but I don't think the personality served the character well.

That was Kuja's bag- the world was his stage and he was the hammiest actor of them all. It was all about him, he knew it, and he owned it. The dude practically minced and menaced his way through most of FF9, before he just kinda lost his poo poo near the end.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Hi guys. Long time no talk. I hope I'm not the only one who hopes for a Final Fantasy Heroes?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
What would Final Fantasy Heroes be, like Dynasty Warriors or am I missing a reference to a different kind of game? 'Cause I could go for a Dynasty Warriors game where you run around as Cyan loving poo poo up.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The White Dragon posted:

What would Final Fantasy Heroes be, like Dynasty Warriors or am I missing a reference to a different kind of game?

Dragon Quest Heroes was announced and it'd be rad if there were a Final Fantasy Musou.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Of course Square would probably laugh at us plebs who want it in English so.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

The White Dragon posted:

What would Final Fantasy Heroes be, like Dynasty Warriors or am I missing a reference to a different kind of game? 'Cause I could go for a Dynasty Warriors game where you run around as Cyan loving poo poo up.

Dude that won't ever happen. Stop even dreaming. It's all about Lightning and Cloud and Yuna. Second tier is Squall, and Tidus. There is no third tier, Square doesn't care about literally any of its other characters, and especially not the ones from FF1-6.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gologle posted:

Dude that won't ever happen. Stop even dreaming. It's all about Lightning and Cloud and Yuna. Second tier is Squall, and Tidus. There is no third tier, Square doesn't care about literally any of its other characters, and especially not the ones from FF1-6.
Zidane is probably also second-tier, to give you something divisible by three. Not because they like him, but because they give no shits about the cast of 12. Or maybe Prishe or someone? Trying to remember who Theatrhythm had from 11 and I don't know 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Theatrhythm and Dissidia still exist you know.