Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

i laugh everytime it does that dumb zoom in on the dude that spots you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
His guard sense was tingling.

zooms make everything better

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

His guard sense was tingling.

zooms make everything better

Is...is that a spiderman anime?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Avengers anime called Disk Wars, because Loki trapped all the heroes in Disks and the kids have to collect them all to rescue them.

Except Spider-man, he's like the guide.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Tae posted:

Avengers anime called Disk Wars, because Loki trapped all the heroes in Disks and the kids have to collect them all to rescue them.

Except Spider-man, he's like the guide.

Also, the Avengers get rendered useless in the like first three episodes by the Loki dangling civilians by a rope.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Silentman0 posted:

I've never seen the show, and from what I can tell it's about a guy trying to break out of prison by doing a lot of lovely stealth sequences.

I don't know why I didn't think of reading the plot/synopsis on Wikipedia, but after reading about what happens in each season (especially season one), this show sounds super stupid.

Basically one brother is framed for murder by a shadowy organization called The Company and is facing the death penalty in prison while the other brother just so happens to be a "brilliant structural engineer" and makes an escape plan. The game follows a Company employee that is in the prison the framed brother is in to watch his every move.

I think I'll watch the LP. The only outcome I can see is hilarity and lots of it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe Pat should play Dark Souls again, because I think there's a super heavy nostalgia surrounding his bias and him completely making stuff up at this point.

Basically I can't wait until Pat sees Woolie wade through tedious bullshit like consuming souls one by one.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Tae posted:

Maybe Pat should play Dark Souls again, because I think there's a super heavy nostalgia surrounding his bias and him completely making stuff up at this point.

Basically I can't wait until Pat sees Woolie wade through tedious bullshit like consuming souls one by one.

I don't know if it's just the fact that it was my first Souls game, but I definitely feel like Dark Souls had more coherent an atmosphere than Dark Souls 2. Like when I think of Dark Souls 1, a very specific atmosphere, sound design and color palette come to mind. When I think of Dark Souls 2, it's just a mishmash of all kinds of stuff and everything feels very disconnected. I do think Dark Souls 2 did most of the gameplay things better than Dark Souls 1, but I still think Dark Souls 1 is better.

At the time Dark Souls 1 came out, I thought I was done with singleplayer games completely. Then I realized a singleplayer game just has to be really drat good and difficult to be interesting to me. That's reason alone for me to forever worship Dark Souls 1.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I never watched Prison Break, I just remember that my mom inadvertently stayed up watching several episodes in succession on Netflix because she thought it was a very long movie and didn't know how Netflix worked yet.

So I guess it may be stupid, but it had to be interesting to last a few seasons at the very least.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Tae posted:

Dark Souls is a more flawed game than DS2, but also a better game. These aren't mutually exclusive.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Prison Break was interesting for two seasons because it had awesome supporting cast in William Fichtner and the dudes who played Belick and T-Bag. Then they got into ANOTHER prison in Mexico, the "we love 24" subplot got overbearing and then the guys became some sort of A-team trying to break into something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

Dark Souls is a more flawed game than DS2, but also a better game. These aren't mutually exclusive.

Eh, I think DS is better at lore and NPC's but the 2nd half of DS is really bad and boring (they talk about bad boss fights in DS2, DS1 post warp powers are poo poo). DS1 has higher highs, but also way lower lows while DS2 is pretty consistent with arguably as high highs after all the DLC is released.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
I hope there's a podcast tomorrow *cough* Matt *cough*

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Boy, that 2nd DS2 DLC is a super fun level and then I finally get to the first boss and find that he may actually by the hardest fight I've had in a Souls game. Like, beating Snorlax and Pikachu solo was easier.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Rodyle posted:

Boy, that 2nd DS2 DLC is a super fun level and then I finally get to the first boss and find that he may actually by the hardest fight I've had in a Souls game. Like, beating Snorlax and Pikachu solo was easier.

He's kind of cheap though. His moveset is pretty easy to play around, but he's got a billion HP and he does that Dark Souls 2 thing where he sometimes has no recovery time after an attack so he splits you in half as you try to counterattack or as you heal, even though it would've been safe 9 times out of 10. So you basically you have to be really careful as you try to whittle down his enormous health bar unless you want to risk randomly dying while healing or attacking.

The other new boss is awesome though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Minorkos posted:

He's kind of cheap though. His moveset is pretty easy to play around, but he's got a billion HP and he does that Dark Souls 2 thing where he sometimes has no recovery time after an attack so he splits you in half as you try to counterattack or as you heal, even though it would've been safe 9 times out of 10. So you basically you have to be really careful as you try to whittle down his enormous health bar unless you want to risk randomly dying while healing or attacking.

The other new boss is awesome though.

I thought there were three new bosses? But yeah no Fume Knight's not fun, I'm annoyed because the Tower's such a fun stage and he's just brutal. The one upside is that my Greatsword does obscene damage... just not as much as his.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I thought there were three new bosses? But yeah no Fume Knight's not fun, I'm annoyed because the Tower's such a fun stage and he's just brutal. The one upside is that my Greatsword does obscene damage... just not as much as his.

One of the bosses is just an old boss (smelter demon) with a new color palette so I'm hesitant to call him "new"

I haven't fought him though. apparently he does have some new moves so there's that

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tae posted:

Eh, I think DS is better at lore and NPC's but the 2nd half of DS is really bad and boring (they talk about bad boss fights in DS2, DS1 post warp powers are poo poo). DS1 has higher highs, but also way lower lows while DS2 is pretty consistent with arguably as high highs after all the DLC is released.

This is a nonsense argument and it's constantly brought up but that doesn't make it true. Tomb, Archives, and New Londo are all great areas and I'll take a Lost Izalith any day over crap like the Gutter/Gulch, Mansion-Shrine, and those loving memories.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tomb of Giants was bad and Nito (along with all the 3 other Great Soul bosses) were all basically "Have enough HP, swing back" or the worst garbage like Bed of Chaos. I hate the 2nd of half DS1, but like I said I'm a minority voice because I played DS2 over 1 first and was disappointed the 2nd half was basically stand still and swing because the bosses were poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Perfect Potato posted:

This is a nonsense argument and it's constantly brought up but that doesn't make it true. Tomb, Archives, and New Londo are all great areas and I'll take a Lost Izalith any day over crap like the Gutter/Gulch, Mansion-Shrine, and those loving memories.

I thought the Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith were okay, myself. The Catacombs were a really neat area, but gently caress Tomb of the Giants. I can see what they were going for, but having to fight in the dark with just a little bit of light is not my idea of a good time.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Woolie really needs to start trusting his own instincts more and ignoring some of Pat's advice. He was right in not wanting to use lock on when fighting Old Iron King, but of course Pat talks him out of that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie's instincts seem to, in large part, involve standing still and getting pancaked by the slowest moves in the game though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dexie posted:

The Catacombs were a really neat area, but gently caress Tomb of the Giants. I can see what they were going for, but having to fight in the dark with just a little bit of light is not my idea of a good time.

The entire idea of the area is for you to not have a good time

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Tae posted:

DS2 has better combat and gameplay in my opinion, but Lordan is a way better world to explore and fight in than Drangleic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pat bitched like hell whenever he talks about 30 fps and especially when The Last of Us had that option, so him going back to DS1 where it's maximum 30 and to a point 15 FPS even might kill him.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Didn't that mod thing fix that though?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Nalesh posted:

Didn't that mod thing fix that though?

Yeah but it also can break the physics. Sometimes you'll fall through the world when sliding down a ladder, can't make jumps because you fall quicker, etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The game wasn't designed for 30 FPS, and the game in general wasn't designed optimally because of how it uses light particles and probably some of the ragdoll/enemy placements.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason the framerate on vanilla Dark Souls is so poo poo is because it uses a special (lovely) framerate buffering thing that tries to compensate whenever you get fps drops. Basically, vanilla Dark Souls tries to maintain a constant 30 fps. When it dips below some abysmal number, which it does pretty often because of all the particle effects, it'll lock the framerate to I think the mid-20s for half a minute so that it can stop swiveling all over the place like a car with three popped tires hydroplaning at 50 mph down a highway.

Also if you drop below 15 fps for any substantial amount of time the game boots you out to the main menu and sets you to offline mode because it thinks you're trying to cheat.

edit: DSFix on PC disables this functionality (the former, anyway) thankfully and there is 1 ladder in the game that drops you through the world only if you slide down it and it's directly next to a bonfire, so even if it did happen it'd be funny and not frustrating because your bloodstain spawns at the top of the ladder when you come back.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Early PAXcast!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKr7UXTChsM

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Also if you drop below 15 fps for any substantial amount of time the game boots you out to the main menu and sets you to offline mode because it thinks you're trying to cheat.

I would have this problem if I tried to plug my gamepad in at anything other than the main menu, because doing so would cause the game to hitch for a few seconds, naturally dropping the framerate below 15. :lol:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The flame breath from the gargoyles is also likely to do it (it's one of the first areas where it'll just happen to any ol first-time player) if one of the two has just done a stomp/swipe as the combination of dust and fire particles causes the game to grind straight to a halt. Dark Souls 2 is unbelievably well optimized considering how awful Dark Souls 1's port was, I'm glad From came through on their promise that it would be better.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I feel like Adaptability is a purely negative addition to the gameplay. Slowing down healing all around is fine (In DS1 you can survive attacks by just poisetanking and drinking) but gutting rolls was a fuckup.

E: Giant Bomb panel spoilers on the Friendcast.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Sep 2, 2014

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

The discussion on cheese cake factory is the most quaint thing ever.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I feel like Adaptability is a purely negative addition to the gameplay. Slowing down healing all around is fine (In DS1 you can survive attacks by just poisetanking and drinking) but gutting rolls was a fuckup.

I think the biggest problem with it is that it's hard to actually see what it's doing for you because there's no like, indicator of how many iframes you have during rolling. It ends up being this weird inexact science where the most you can say is "having higher agility is probably better for me" but it's never really clear until you actually try playing with fewer points in it and discover that, holy poo poo, it really makes a huge loving difference. Like if Woolie had pumped adaptability like crazy at the beginning of the game he probably would have had a much easier time with Pursuer and some of the other early game bosses. It just doesn't make any sense for a game where they were supposedly trying to make things easier for new players to introduce this weird fuzzy stat that can very subtly have a huge impact on people's experiences.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Is anyone else having trouble downloading the latest podcast on their main page? If so, there a mirror I can download the podcast from?

EDIT: oh it got fixed. Nice work Zaibatsu

Thwack! fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 2, 2014

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I wonder how fast Woolie died playing Bloodbourne after Pat came over and was in his ear.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wow, the world in the Prison Break game is weirdly well thought out for such a poo poo game. In part 3, Pat loses because he's trying to climb over a big pile of boxes to get to a fence he saw, when they actually needed to go the other way. In part 4 they go back through that area from the opposite direction, and the boxes are being loaded onto forklifts and moved and stuff because time has passed, and now Pat can get to the fence. Neither of them noticed this, I don't think!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I never laughed out loud as much as I did when they had the Waifu discussion. Pat's first waifu is apparently a girl from...Tekken? Or was is virtual fighter.

edit: That loving flip into the necksnap is nonsense, where did that come from

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Rodyle posted:

On one hand I'm pissed at this, but on the other hand I'm psyched to see Dave Lang in a gorilla costume and Alex getting backstaged by someone (Dan? Dr. Tracksuit? JEFF GREEN?!)