Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah at the top of a new page, I suppose I am...

Honestly though, it would be a lot better without all the DRAMATIC.........PAUSES. They just make it seem ridiculous.

Tell me more about how you completely misjudged a snype, "sun god" :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Apollodorus posted:

Maybe I am being a buzzkill here, but that Axanar video looks like a 12-year-old's Trek fanfiction that somehow got near-professional quality effects. It just seems so out of keeping with what makes Trek good--someone said a number of pages back that Trek is at its best when it's exploring the human condition and the possibilities of existence, and at its worst when it's exploring its internal canon.

You're being a buzzkill.

BUT

if it makes you feel better, my understanding is that the military documentary is designed to establish the setting that the movie is taking place in, not to establish what its about. Its intended to be a traditional Trek adventure that happens to take place in war time.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They've Got a Secret Farscape S1 E10

So Moya was pregnant and being all motherly was killing her crew and her pilot, why that made Dargo regress into his earlier memories I have no idea - perhaps it was the stint outside with no suit, and the super secret reason Dargo is in exile in the first place is because he was plundering sweet sebacean rear end (Zhaan is crazy hot).

He's a bit of a dick, Dargo.. I can't help but think of Ringworld and Nessus's tasp he uses on Speaker-To-Animals. You want a tasp for Dargo.. although he's probably to dumb to realize why he doesn't want you to keep hitting the button.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
D'argo starts as a very one-note character, but he's one of the more heavily nuanced people by the end of the series. He gets a LOT of character development and he's rad as hell.

D'argo and Crichton are bros-4-lief on the level of O'Brien and Bashir. D'argo even reveals his deepest secret only to Crichton.

"I LOVE shooting things. And I'm very good at it."

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, at this stage he's just a dumb viking madman that gets sucked into doing stupid poo poo that puts everyone else in danger. I'm picking up Farscape after a long break.. but there was that ep a few ago when they went to the planet with all the people working the fields and harvesting that plant that was a drug.. or somethihng. D'argo had his poo poo off and was plowing the fields (and farmer girls) in seconds.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
That's such a dumb episode, but I have a soft spot for it because of hippie D'argo and explosives-pissing Rygel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

echoplex posted:

The later TNG Trics are some of my favourite props ever. Logic be damned, they have a pleasingly chunky form, nice graphics, and lots of blinky lights. Lazy plotting never looked so good.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of much of the TNG aesthetic, but the revised tricorders are great props. I'm pretty sure they're a Sternbach design, which surprises me, because I'm not terribly fond of much of his work (he designed Voyager, for example). But the tricorders are just really well-designed and look functional ... there was some real effort put into their look and feel, unlike Nemesis, which I'm pretty sure just used a Palm Pilot with some gribblies on it.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

armoredgorilla posted:

You're being a buzzkill.

BUT

if it makes you feel better, my understanding is that the military documentary is designed to establish the setting that the movie is taking place in, not to establish what its about. Its intended to be a traditional Trek adventure that happens to take place in war time.

This is correct.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least it's not as bad as the palm beacons. I've got an idea, since it's the 24th century, let's make a flashlight that takes away the use of one hand and makes everyone look like they are volunteering for something. Like they ask for volunteers to go on the away mission and people raise their hands. The supply officer then places palm beacons in their raised hands and they just keep them there for the rest of the mission. It took until Voyager of all shows until someone thought about putting a strap on it and putting it on someone's arm.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Tell me more about how you completely misjudged a snype, "sun god" :allears:

I did it by having a new phone and using the Awful app for the first time. I'm glad it worked out well for all involved, though!

(Also, my username means "gift of Apollo" or "gifted by Apollo," learn some Greek already)

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 1, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

armoredgorilla posted:

You're being a buzzkill.

BUT

That does make me feel better, thanks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Just to be the contrarian here, but I liked the military documentary of fictional events approach. I've seen hundreds of episodes of "regular" Trek, one more unofficial episode in the regular style isn't as entertaining an idea as them actually doing a full documentary would be. It's not what they're doing, I know, but I think it'd be fun to take advantage of being unofficial to play around with the format. It's my complaint with most of the fan films out there, even the ones with resources like Star Trek: Phase Two.

Do a military history documentary. Do Star Trek CSI. Do Star Trek Firefly with some losers in a rust bucket merchant ship plying the lovely parts of the Alpha Quadrant. Do whatever floats your boat, but don't do regular episode type stuff, because you're never going to do it as well as a network funded show!

Axanar ain't going full Military Channel with it, which is a shame, but hell, at least it ain't another bunch of guys doing impressions of the TOS crew. I'll back a good cast doing (mostly) new characters covering a legendary event we've never seen covered elsewhere. They've got my $25 and we'll see how it turns out.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Apollodorus posted:

Honestly though, it would be a lot better without all the DRAMATIC.........PAUSES. They just make it seem ridiculous.

Have you even seen Star Trek I mean really

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It is not cool when literally every actor is trying to make literally every word SUPER POIGNANT because then all it does is make the speech slow and plodding and unrealistic. Someone else mentioned earlier that that speech pattern was the director's choice and I believe it.

The point about approaching Trek in a different style is definitely a good one, though.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Maybe I am being a buzzkill here, but that Axanar video looks like a 12-year-old's Trek fanfiction that somehow got near-professional quality effects. It just seems so out of keeping with what makes Trek good--someone said a number of pages back that Trek is at its best when it's exploring the human condition and the possibilities of existence, and at its worst when it's exploring its internal canon.

There's nothing intrinsically bad about universe building but everything Star Trek fans produce is super fanwanky.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Subyng posted:

There's nothing intrinsically bad about universe building but everything Star Trek fans produce is super fanwanky.

Gene Roddenberry is dead. The only people left making Star Trek are fans.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Gene Roddenberry is dead. The only people left making Star Trek are fans.

But who will mourn for us when we're dead?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

jng2058 posted:

Just to be the contrarian here, but I liked the military documentary of fictional events approach. I've seen hundreds of episodes of "regular" Trek, one more unofficial episode in the regular style isn't as entertaining an idea as them actually doing a full documentary would be. It's not what they're doing, I know, but I think it'd be fun to take advantage of being unofficial to play around with the format. It's my complaint with most of the fan films out there, even the ones with resources like Star Trek: Phase Two.

Do a military history documentary. Do Star Trek CSI. Do Star Trek Firefly with some losers in a rust bucket merchant ship plying the lovely parts of the Alpha Quadrant. Do whatever floats your boat, but don't do regular episode type stuff, because you're never going to do it as well as a network funded show!

Axanar ain't going full Military Channel with it, which is a shame, but hell, at least it ain't another bunch of guys doing impressions of the TOS crew. I'll back a good cast doing (mostly) new characters covering a legendary event we've never seen covered elsewhere. They've got my $25 and we'll see how it turns out.
I wouldn't mind if the whole "Star Trek as theater in the park" thing spread out, and the TOS crew became sort of general dramatic archetypes. I actually prefer some aspects of Chris Pine's portrayal of Kirk to the Shat (or at least Movie Shat). However, this seems more like it would involve reinterpreting the seventy-odd actual works in TOS rather than going out and writing lengthy Trek fanfiction.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Subyng posted:

Where do you stand on ENT: Affliction/Divergence? People seem to be very divided there, and those eps exist essentially to retcon an inconsistency.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

I wouldn't mind if the whole "Star Trek as theater in the park" thing spread out

Shakespearian scenery devouring of characters that themselves are often portrayed by scenery devouring Shakespearian stage actors is kind of feedback loop that can destroy the universe

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Nessus posted:

I wouldn't mind if the whole "Star Trek as theater in the park" thing spread out, and the TOS crew became sort of general dramatic archetypes. I actually prefer some aspects of Chris Pine's portrayal of Kirk to the Shat (or at least Movie Shat). However, this seems more like it would involve reinterpreting the seventy-odd actual works in TOS rather than going out and writing lengthy Trek fanfiction.

I mean, they're already ethos, pathos and logos. That's about as archetypey as you can get.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone see the article about The Star Tracks on the AV Club the other day? It indulged in one of the most annoying ideas about the show: the retroactive canonisation of Voyager as a feminist masterpiece, obviously topped with a "maybe if you don't like this show it's because you can't handle strong women, hmmm?" comment.

I mean, fine, Voyager has a female captain, but she's completely irrational throughout the show. Seven wears a skin-tight catsuit. Torres is basically just a PMS joke. Kes is creepily preyed upon by older men. If anything, Voyager is a betrayal of feminism. If you really want a good feminist example in Trek, maybe choose DS9, the show with easily the best female character - arguably the best character full stop - in the entire franchise.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

Comrade Fakename posted:

If you really want a good feminist example in Trek, maybe choose DS9, the show with easily the best female character - arguably the best character full stop - in the entire franchise.

Lumba?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Where do you stand on ENT: Affliction/Divergence? People seem to be very divided there, and those eps exist essentially to retcon an inconsistency.

I thought they were dumb.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Comrade Fakename posted:

arguably the best character full stop - in the entire franchise.

Pretty sure Garak was a dude

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Anyone see the article about The Star Tracks on the AV Club the other day? It indulged in one of the most annoying ideas about the show: the retroactive canonisation of Voyager as a feminist masterpiece, obviously topped with a "maybe if you don't like this show it's because you can't handle strong women, hmmm?" comment.

I mean, fine, Voyager has a female captain, but she's completely irrational throughout the show. Seven wears a skin-tight catsuit. Torres is basically just a PMS joke. Kes is creepily preyed upon by older men. If anything, Voyager is a betrayal of feminism. If you really want a good feminist example in Trek, maybe choose DS9, the show with easily the best female character - arguably the best character full stop - in the entire franchise.
Quark only got transitioned in that one bad episode though.

Although I suppose it did also imply that Starfleet medicine made gender transition fast and easy, which is interesting.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Was it Melora?

It was Melora wasn't it?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I specifically avoided phrasing that while mentioning Kira so people could have a little fun. And fun was had!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apollodorus posted:

(Also, my username means "gift of Apollo" or "gifted by Apollo," learn some Greek already)

You want me to learn a dead language? :smug:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Comrade Fakename posted:

I specifically avoided phrasing that while mentioning Kira so people could have a little fun. And fun was had!

No, that doesn't sound right. Who were you actually referring to?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

Quark only got transitioned in that one bad episode though.

Although I suppose it did also imply that Starfleet medicine made gender transition fast and easy, which is interesting.

They're making you into a Klingon or a Cardassian or whatever as easy as changing a shirt. Bolting on a penis or whatever is, like, nothing.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Was it established that Quark was fully functional as a lady? Because I'd strap on a gash for an afternoon just to see what it was like.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think my biggest beef with Axanar is that it falls into the usual aftermarket-fiction trap of trying to tie things together in a way that actually makes the setting smaller rather than bigger; in this case, having Axanar be the lynchpin because it's where the new war-winning ships are being built, one of which just happens to be the Enterprise, because of course the Enterprise had to be key to winning the war!

Nessus posted:

A lot of the episodes wouldn't work well for outdoors performances.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"Fight does not go well, Enterprise. We're attempting to withdraw and regroup. Rendevouz at...."

*guy wearing the box from a dryer pushes down a bunch of guys in t-shirts that say STARSHIP on them*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sash! posted:

"Fight does not go well, Enterprise. We're attempting to withdraw and regroup. Rendevouz at...."

*guy wearing the box from a dryer pushes down a bunch of guys in t-shirts that say STARSHIP on them*

I busted up laughing at this.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There are some episodes that really aren't suited, but quite a few definitely could be. The spaceship-action-scenes are largely irrelevant to the story in quite a few episodes, or their relevant parts are portrayed better by the actions and reactions of the bridge crew than by the FX shots.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Sash! posted:

This is the fan film project we deserve.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That feminism-Voyager article started to lose me when it called Ronald D. Moore a regular writer and then completely lost me when it held up Fair Haven as an example of quality Voyager. For an article that focuses on fan reaction to Voyager's female cast there is no mention of how unevenly Janeway is written. And the article tosses out references to Tuvok (who nerds don't like because he's black apparently) and Kim (who nerds don't like because he's asian apparently) without even a hint that the author is aware how badly underused they were.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Voyager is a perfect example of how trying to make something that's 'inclusive' without actually giving a poo poo just makes an even bigger, more horrible trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The first episode that came to mind was Masks.

This is a terrible idea.

• Locked thread