Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, it's some of her cousin's clothes. I've heard people suggest that she was trying to emulate the styles of the people around her, but obviously didn't grasp the nuances of fashion. She didn't become a prostitute until NYX, which while published before this, took place after it, chronologically.

As for why they made her a prostitute: Blame Quesada, since he was writing NYX. As I recall the guys who actually created X-23, Kyle and Yost, were quite pissed off by this, especially as the character had been created for X-Men Evolution, before being introduced into the comics a la Harley Quinn. They pretty much ignored it in their own writing, for obvious reasons.

Ah, that's right. I had it wrong, sorry. And good thing Kyle and Yost ignored all of it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

If the incursion ends with the population of Stilt-Earth all standing together in the incursion, and then extending their legs to push Marvel earth away it will be totally worth it.

Actually, that sounds more like the ending if Hickman got ran over by a bus and Grant Morrison took over...

"It was a Stilt-Man world. It was the first of many."

Anyway, content. Original Sin: Thor & Loki #4 is all about Thor and Loki invading the heretofore forgotten Tenth Realm of Yggdrasil, Heven, in order to find Thor's recently found-out-about sister. Thor gets captured, then Loki defects because of course he does, and helps the angels of Heven with their plan to invade Asgard (because they have a score to settle with Odin for cutting them off from the other realms in the first place). Now he she is leading the invading fleet.

I considered putting this in the badass thread for the last part, but the "Baby murder WILL happen!" line was too much.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Is Loki a woman at the moment for disguise purposes, or because Loki purposes?

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
The angels know he's a dude, he just changed his appearance just to blend in better after his "backstab" of Thor. Maybe also subtlety increase their trust of him.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

The Biggest Jerk posted:

The angels know he's a dude, he just changed his appearance just to blend in better after his "backstab" of Thor. Maybe also subtlety increase their trust of him.

So... because he felt like it?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mr. Maltose posted:

The point is that there is nothing in comics a lovely writer doesn't make poo poo or a good writer can't makes good. This is one of the great truths of the medium.

No kidding, look at Gaiman writing "Prez" in Sandman

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fried Chicken posted:

God I love that story, probably my favorite part of Sandman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Luminaflare posted:

Yeah pretty much

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fried Chicken posted:

The problem with that as an example is that there has never been a bad Prez story.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Luminaflare posted:

It's not like there isn't precedent in the old sagas. There's one where Thor's hammer is stolen and Loki insists the only way to get it back is for both of them to cross-dress and infiltrate a wedding. With Thor as the bride....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Loki's got a thing going right now where he can't really shape shift but can only change into versions of himself, like Lady Loki.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Canemacar posted:

It's not like there isn't precedent in the old sagas. There's one where Thor's hammer is stolen and Loki insists the only way to get it back is for both of them to cross-dress and infiltrate a wedding. With Thor as the bride....

Loki is basically Bugs Bunny.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

THOR SEASON, FIRE!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

Other way around.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TwoPair posted:

THOR SEASON, FIRE!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Nah he's the horse in this

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Canemacar posted:

Well, he does take it to extremes. He had to steal a giant's workhorse so he dressed as a female horse to lure it away.

He came back pregnant. :v:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

SynthOrange posted:

Well, he does take it to extremes. He had to steal a giant's workhorse so he dressed as a female horse to lure it away.

Well, where do you think Sleipnir came from, or Jörmungandr for that matter?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

He should've hooked up with Zeus, who often turns into bulls to sleep with women.

....Ancient mythology is weird.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Canemacar posted:

He should've hooked up with Zeus, who often turns into bulls to rape women.

....Ancient Greeks were horrible.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SynthOrange posted:

From what I gathered, Odin would go around looking like a woman, but he was all man underneath. Loki would actually become a woman, including getting pregnant, and thus was effeminate and looked down upon.

Ancient mythology is misogynistic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Canemacar posted:

He should've hooked up with Zeus, who often turns into bulls to sleep with women.

A few years ago I was at the Getty with my mother and she had to ask, "What's that woman doing with that swan?" when we passed this statue (:nws: for artistic bestiality).

And just to make it worse, they had it opposite of Rembrandt's The Abduction of Europa but at least I didn't have to explain why she was riding a cow.

Anyway, have some Herbie because this thread needs more Herbie:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

A few years ago I was at the Getty with my mother and she had to ask, "What's that woman doing with that swan?" when we passed this statue (:nws: for artistic bestiality).

And just to make it worse, they had it opposite of Rembrandt's The Abduction of Europa but at least I didn't have to explain why she was riding a cow.

Alan Moore's favorite superhero

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

If the incursion ends with the population of Stilt-Earth all standing together in the incursion, and then extending their legs to push Marvel earth away it will be totally worth it.

Actually, that sounds more like the ending if Hickman got ran over by a bus and Grant Morrison took over...

Oh god. If someone doesn't do A Stilt House on Stilt Earth What If after this is all over then it will be a crime.

gently caress it, get Mant Grorrison to right it if you have to.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Canemacar posted:

Greek Mythology is the deviantart of Mythologies where you find some great stuff in it, but also a lot of weird fetishy stuff. That or maybe because all the weird stuff was memorable that it was remembered and preserved and all the stories about the gods being reasonable sane benevolent beings got lost to the ether.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

That or maybe because all the weird stuff was memorable that it was remembered and preserved and all the stories about the gods being reasonable sane benevolent beings got lost to the ether.

Pretty much. Even at the time, people complained that all the nutty stories were inappropriate for making fun of the gods who provided mankind with warmth\food\etc.

I mean, take Ares. He was the God of Law Enforcement in the religion (a role that shows up just once in the common myths, when he arrives to arrest Sisyphus for kidnapping Death) and the source of Masculinity\Courage\Willpower\etc, but since he was the patron of Sparta and almost all our myths come from Athens, in the stories he's a violent bumbling loser who constantly gets his poo poo wrecked by the Awesome and Wise and Super-Cool and Daddy's Favorite Athena.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Uthor posted:

From what I gathered, Odin would go around looking like a woman, but he was all man underneath. Loki would actually become a woman, including getting pregnant, and thus was effeminate and looked down upon.

Ancient mythology is misogynistic.

Not just mythology, during most of the medieval period in Europe homosexuality was only considered a sin if you were a bottom, since receiving was something women do.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not just mythology, during most of the medieval period in Europe homosexuality was only considered a sin if you were a bottom, since receiving was something women do.
That's straight back to Roman times. You could gently caress whoever you wanted and were no less of a man for it, but few insults were deadlier than "you take it up the rear end".

They were also extremely fond of "you gently caress your sister". Romans, go figure.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not only was homosexuality considered a sin all the time in medieval Europe, but the punishment was pretty severe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_medieval_Europe#Punishment_in_medieval_times

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Pretty much. Even at the time, people complained that all the nutty stories were inappropriate for making fun of the gods who provided mankind with warmth\food\etc.

I mean, take Ares. He was the God of Law Enforcement in the religion (a role that shows up just once in the common myths, when he arrives to arrest Sisyphus for kidnapping Death) and the source of Masculinity\Courage\Willpower\etc, but since he was the patron of Sparta and almost all our myths come from Athens, in the stories he's a violent bumbling loser who constantly gets his poo poo wrecked by the Awesome and Wise and Super-Cool and Daddy's Favorite Athena.
You'd think with such a mary sue/awesome mother goddess that the Athenians would be a feminist paradise, but noooooooooooope

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

achillesforever6 posted:

Greek Mythology is the deviantart of Mythologies where you find some great stuff in it, but also a lot of weird fetishy stuff. That or maybe because all the weird stuff was memorable that it was remembered and preserved and all the stories about the gods being reasonable sane benevolent beings got lost to the ether.

I could swear I read somewhere that part of the point of Greek mythology was that the gods were as bad as (or worse than) humans. I'm sure there's a link between the way they behave in the Iliad (which was a story that would be told for entertainment) and the way people behave on reality TV. :haw:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Greek Mythology is a soap opera and/or WWE.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Honestly it makes way more sense that way. When you look at all the war and hosed up poo poo in the world, having god be a bickering collection of rapacious assholes just seems logical.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

You'd think with such a mary sue/awesome mother goddess that the Athenians would be a feminist paradise, but noooooooooooope

Opposite, Athena's only cool because she's so tough and masculine

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Random Stranger posted:

Is THIS why JFK slept around? Because he was jealous of Jackie swooning over the fat lollipop kid?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It's because he is a OG mother loving pimp.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cangelosi posted:

Is THIS why JFK slept around? Because he was jealous of Jackie swooning over the fat lollipop kid?

Everyone swoons over Herbie.

Whether it's Queen Elizabeth II:

Maid Marian:

Fidel Castro:

Or Muhammad Ali:

They all swoon for Herbie.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

drilldo squirt posted:

It's because he is a OG mother loving pimp.
Yes, Herbie is, but we were talking about JFK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
'A stylish stout junior whale' is such a fantastic combination of words. :allears:

• Locked thread