Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

Uh... no? They're down majorly on profits. They're still in the black, but they're losing ground fast.

One quarter does not a trend make dude. Look at their sales and profits over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's a cadre of posters who will defend GW to the moon and back over in TradGames. If we stick to talking about the fluff and bitching about e-book prices they should stay away from this thread.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's more that the average goon is laughably ignorant about how business works and I recognize a few who have already shown that they know less than nothing about such things here.

edit: like, GW makes a lot of weirdass decisions as a company but you usually don't see them correctly identified or discussed here.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 2, 2014

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cream_Filling posted:

It's more that the average goon is laughably ignorant about how business works and I recognize a few who have already shown that they know less than nothing about such things here.

Oh my god shut up and take it elsewhere you insufferable fucker.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, guys, when was the first HH novel published? For some reason, I have it in my head it 2004. This ain't right, is it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cream_Filling posted:

One quarter does not a trend make dude. Look at their sales and profits over time.
I'm talking over a multi-year period dude. They're down about 60% on what they were at their height.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm talking over a multi-year period dude. They're down about 60% on what they were at their height.

Yeah let's not keep going with this.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
That's not the Warhammer spirit! Both sides need to condense their arguments into manageable summaries, then have these represented by miniature tokens which will then be fielded in equal amounts according to the power of each argument. Then they should be placed on a board representing a miniature field of argument such as a game shop or basement and...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, guys, when was the first HH novel published? For some reason, I have it in my head it 2004. This ain't right, is it?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Which will finish first, ASoIaF or the Horus Heresy series?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Pyrolocutus posted:

Trick question, neither will end.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Allow me to interject with a rambly overview of Talon of Horus now that I've finished it. I won't give any direct spoilers on what happens, just give my thoughts on the book which I hope others will add to as they get the chance to read it.

At its core it's an ADB book about Chaos Space Marines. The way ADB characterizes his Chaos Marines has been a Big Deal since the Night Lords trilogy which is for a good reason. With that said the majority of this book focuses on characterization, with other parts detailing the Eye of Terror and the first steps towards the Black Legion's founding. I think a bolter is fired roughly twice in this book and a few times Khayon mentions that he won't go into the 'mundane details' of the battle. Its a first person perspective driven by Iskandar Khayon, and what he thinks and how he does things is what you're going to be dealing with mostly throughout the book.

That's both a good thing if you like his fleshed out humanized bad boy protagonists and a bad thing if you really can't be doing with Super Talos part 2, because that is what the main guy is. Khayon, the protagonist, is a Thousand Sons sorcerer who can throw two kilometer long ships at planets, bind some of the most powerful demons that can be bound and has psychic abilities that allow him free reign to do almost anything. This aside, there are some fantastic moments which I won't spoil that cut to the heart of what it means to be a thousand sons centuries after the exile into the Eye, and ADB delivers very well on most all of the warhammer 40k universe's big moments. Primarchs, broken Legions and the weight of history are all told from a great perspective and I enjoyed those parts immensely.

Where the book isn't so great (and which it spends a good deal of time on) is how different characters relate. ADB is definitely better at characterization and settings than actual interactions, and it is these scenes which caused some serious eyeball rolling. Khayon has two or three companions who are all female and whose relationship with him you can probably begin to guess at if you've read his other books. I won't go into huge amounts of detail here but aside from the 'presses slender finger to Big Scary Dude's lips and says "Hush"' ADB line which happens with alarming regularity in this book as it does in his others (writers have their habits but this one is getting really old) the nature of his companions creates some cringe-worthy dialogue scenes.

These companions he values above anyone else and will routinely threaten the lives of his 'closest brothers' if they threaten them in word or thought. 'Nefertari' (translated literally as beautiful companion) is the biggest offender and the only one I will mention. This is his Dark Eldar girlfriend (this is denied in the book but it doesn't stop ADB from writing every sentence as if it were true), a character who 'dispatches Legion Warlords without breaking a diamond of sweat' and looks 'just out of adolescence and has the most arresting eyes'. She also has wings. This character feels like an anime fan-fiction with the reason for her existing as she does as an untouchable member of Khayon's warband being something I'd rather purge my memory of. ADB pushes a great deal throughout the book towards the idea of Chaos brotherhood but his protagonists infatuation with a dark eldar villainess if not outright contradicting it at least detracts from that focus a great deal.

There are big reveals and story changers for a Warhammer 40k book and there is a genuine excitement about the book when passages are clearly informed by his long email sessions with the keyholders of 40k lore. There is a lot of emotion and emotionally charged interactions between post human man-children (who are chaos), this is done reasonably well most of the time and awfully at others. The pacing is very slow, with the ending sped up to encompass probably an entire book in barely quarter of the space needed. Considering the amount of resources ADB is said to have access to for this book (he states in the Author's note that this is the most extensively researched 40k book of all time) he could probably have used the space a little better, chapters dedicated to melancholy and ADB salivating over his 13 year old eldar could have made the cutting floor to make the whole piece seem less rushed near the latter half of the book.

Certain characters and pacing issues aside though, its a great read. There is lot of slow introspection and world building but there was probably not enough of it. I went into this start of the 'Black Legion series' with the expectation I had when I first picked up Horus Rising, a trilogy or small group of books which sunk its teeth into the myths and legends of 40k history that hitherto I'd only seen glimpses of in 40k codexes. With what I've seen so far we're in for the long haul, the start hasn't even started yet and we have 9-10 thousand years to go. Expect a lot more adventures before we get to the End Times.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

berzerkmonkey posted:

You are familiar with 40K right? He was essentially a plague daemon. Also, Mortarion is a Primarch who survived just about every poison thrown at him on his homeworld. Lorgar gets shot in the face with a Titan's plasma cannon and Angron gets stomped on by a Titan.

Mortarian if you remember correctly, while having a high degree of resistance to chemicals/pollutants/etc, still was unable to withstand the toxic nature of his homeworld's highest peaks, and would of been boned had dad not saved him. This doesn't even begin to get into the fact that a virus operates in a totally different nature than a simple toxin when effecting living organisms. Dumb sci-fi aside in a series that usually just pays lips service to the "science" portion you pretty much have a primarch that can apparently drink/eat one of the deadliest weapons in the 40k universe, but then give it sentience on top of that. Keep in mind plague demons appear in the lore all the time, but their powers never really border on "target-selective world eater virus that can simply kill everyone that isn't on my side, game over guys".

Might as well have cyclone missles or atomics that just selectively annihilate good/bad guys. The idea of a doomsday day weapon that isn't really a doomsday weapon but a cheat-code to victory is silly(and most importantly, BORING). Not to mention the entire manifestation portion of this plague demon was silly in itself. Mortarion in classic cartoon villainy murders his own body guard with zero hesitation in order to bring this thing into existence. Why even bother putting him in the containment suit since he can apparently control the lethality of his presence around others?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

One Legged Cat posted:

Haha no, I like making money and intelligent decisions

nevermind

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 2, 2014

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

maev posted:

Allow me to interject with a rambly overview of Talon of Horus now that I've finished it. I won't give any direct spoilers on what happens, just give my thoughts on the book which I hope others will add to as they get the chance to read it.

Thanks for the review.

I didn't really mind the way the relationship between Hyperion and the Inquisitor played in The Emperor's Gift, so as long as things don't get far beyond that I doubt I will take to much issue with it. When it comes to Chaos Marines the idea of them having something other than a passion for war/killing seems to be one of the perks of falling to Chaos. Essentially one is given a superhuman body(when they become a Space Marine), but has much of their human desire stripped from them in the service to honor and duty, so the notion that Chaos Marines don't have to worry about this seems like a logical route.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Pyrolocutus posted:

ASoIaF ends with the death of the author, possibly continued by another using his notes like The Wheel of Time series, but ultimately there is an ending. The Horus Heresy is with a dozen different people. There is an ending, but they can set it distantly and milk as much as possible in between with a hundred books in the time it takes GRR Martin to write a single new ASoIaF book.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Going to buy it anyway, but how does it stack up with the 40k "greats", Eisenhorn, Nightlords, etc?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Lyer posted:

Going to buy it anyway, but how does it stack up with the 40k "greats", Eisenhorn, Nightlords, etc?

Its hard to say since there's only one book so far, there's a hell of a lot of set up so the book necessarily needs to be judged as part of the whole series. It definitely has the potential to be better than the greats you mention if you compared the whole upcoming trilogy or series, but with so much of the book taken up with foreshadowing and set up it's probably weaker than the first parts of both series you mentioned.

Uroboros posted:

Thanks for the review.

I didn't really mind the way the relationship between Hyperion and the Inquisitor played in The Emperor's Gift, so as long as things don't get far beyond that I doubt I will take to much issue with it. When it comes to Chaos Marines the idea of them having something other than a passion for war/killing seems to be one of the perks of falling to Chaos. Essentially one is given a superhuman body(when they become a Space Marine), but has much of their human desire stripped from them in the service to honor and duty, so the notion that Chaos Marines don't have to worry about this seems like a logical route.

Yeah I agree with what you said here, being a Chaos Marine is all about doing whatever you want after being freed from the shackles of duty. "He loved her most when she killed for him" is the type of sentence that can be the unleashing of previously ignored feelings, but in the context of everything that happens with Nefertari it can begin to feel like you're enduring some kind of Twilight relationship, which is ironic since ADB prides himself on making 40k more adult. Don't take too much from it though, the book is far from ruined by it and its still very much worth buying.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Re: romance and bullshit

That loving sucks, im really worried about skimming huge parts of the book now. :/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
In an effort to catch up in my reading, I started Yarrick: Imperial Creed last night. I am also currently binging on Parks and Recreation (not while reading, of course.)

The fact that Yarrick is written entirely in the first person combined with overloading on P&R has me reading Yarrick's voice as Ron Swanson.

I think this may not be an altogether terrible thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

maev posted:

Yeah I agree with what you said here, being a Chaos Marine is all about doing whatever you want after being freed from the shackles of duty. "He loved her most when she killed for him" is the type of sentence that can be the unleashing of previously ignored feelings, but in the context of everything that happens with Nefertari it can begin to feel like you're enduring some kind of Twilight relationship, which is ironic since ADB prides himself on making 40k more adult. Don't take too much from it though, the book is far from ruined by it and its still very much worth buying.
Twilight is the story of a deeply abusive idealised Mormon relationship through the lens of a super-powered immortal manchild. That actually fits right into 40k.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Arquinsiel posted:

Twilight is the story of a deeply abusive idealised Mormon relationship through the lens of a super-powered immortal manchild. That actually fits right into 40k.

Not it's not, seriously i have a lot of friends that are Mormons and they hate Twilight and say the only Mormon who see the relationship in it as ideal are Meyer and morons.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sramaker posted:

Not it's not, seriously i have a lot of friends that are Mormons and they hate Twilight and say the only Mormon who see the relationship in it as ideal are Meyer and morons.
You get that a lot from Mormons. They tend to deny a thing ever happened rather than back it up as "God's Will" like other denominations do.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sramaker posted:

Technically true but they fail to note that morons make up the majority of Mormons, and indeed the US as a whole.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cream_Filling posted:

Technically true but they fail to note that morons make up the majority of Mormons, and indeed the US as a whole.

You are wrong.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

In an effort to catch up in my reading, I started Yarrick: Imperial Creed last night. I am also currently binging on Parks and Recreation (not while reading, of course.)

The fact that Yarrick is written entirely in the first person combined with overloading on P&R has me reading Yarrick's voice as Ron Swanson.

I think this may not be an altogether terrible thing.

Nick Offerman for Retired Ciaphas Cain

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
I'm reading about Abaddon's black crusades and some of them are pretty hilarious in how rubbish they are. The eleventh Black Crusade essentially has Abaddon's fleet being blown off course from the beginning, they find a single world and go to attack it only to find an Ork Waagh already engaging Imperial forces. Written in smug language the codex then says how the Black Legion left the world to be destroyed at the hands of the Orks (I guess they couldn't beat the Waagh), leaving for the eye with thousands of Ork prisoners for experiments. The Despoiler strikes again!

When the 20th book of the Black Legion series arrives detailing this crusade I can only imagine the significance will erupt from nowhere and these Ork demons will be the secret to breaking the walls of Terra eventually. Or something like that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Out of curiosity maev, have you read Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy? That's supposed to be what ADB is largely basing his Warmaster series off of, and I'd be curious if you can compare them.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there any review sites you guys go to read reviews to get an idea of what the books are like before buying them? I'm just curious.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

The Rat posted:

Out of curiosity maev, have you read Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Trilogy? That's supposed to be what ADB is largely basing his Warmaster series off of, and I'd be curious if you can compare them.

I've seen ADB talk a lot about how the Winter King is one of his favorite books but sadly I haven't read them. There's definately a huge 'Abaddon and his Ezekarion of the round table' vibe, Abaddon is a big focus but the book essentially introduces a supporting cast which take up as much of the lime light as he does.

Sramaker posted:

Is there any review sites you guys go to read reviews to get an idea of what the books are like before buying them? I'm just curious.

There's a generally good consensus in the op as to what books are good and I guess you can ask here about specific ones or just find a review. I tend to just follow my guilty pleasure instincts and go for stuff that's generally to do with what interests me in the universe (this can lead to Bad Books but you're reading warhams here) or books by the 'good' authors which are highly regarded.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Sramaker posted:

I have checked a few sites/blogs that did reviews but tastes wildly differ. I did like FerretBrain's review of Ian Watson's Space Marine, though, which convinced me to read the book.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sramaker posted:

You are wrong.

Just look up any recent poll over Americans who think the Rapture is coming any day now.

Outside of cultural islands like Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, etc. in the South the vast majority of them are barely educated religious fundamentalists. These are regions and towns where leaving to get a college education is seen as betraying your roots and anyone who does is now considered an outsider.

maev posted:

I've seen ADB talk a lot about how the Winter King is one of his favorite books but sadly I haven't read them. There's definately a huge 'Abaddon and his Ezekarion of the round table' vibe, Abaddon is a big focus but the book essentially introduces a supporting cast which take up as much of the lime light as he does.

Holy poo poo, I've read some of Cornwall's books and in retrospect I can see a huge thematic influence of his writing on how ADB wrote Night Lords. I've read the Grail Quest and Saxon stories, and the Night Lords really remind me of the Saxon tales. The narrator is a Saxon (raised as a Viking) who enjoys the glory of war while surrounded by a culture that is slowly embracing Christianity and peaceful ways.

If you like ADB's style, Cornwall's is slightly similar and its all old historical fiction, even all the way back to the building of Stonehenge.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pentyne posted:

Just look up any recent poll over Americans who think the Rapture is coming any day now.

Outside of cultural islands like Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, etc. in the South the vast majority of them are barely educated religious fundamentalists. These are regions and towns where leaving to get a college education is seen as betraying your roots and anyone who does is now considered an outsider.

The irony of you calling other people sheltered and ignorant is pretty funny, honestly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

The irony of you calling other people sheltered and ignorant is pretty funny, honestly.

http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2013/08/the-future-of-games-days-games-workshop.html

quote:

After declining and stagnating sales in the years before 2009 we can actually see that between 2009 and 2013 the sale volume in fact did go up, with increased momentum since 2011. While profits more than doubled in the last five years, sales 'only' increased by 7%. Still good, all things considering, but let's just assume a yearly price increase of 10% (I know this is not scientific), at equal units sold, sales volume should have gone up around 45%. They didn't.

What does that mean? Simple. GW overall has lost customers. Average spending per customer, however, went up.

http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2014/01/the-future-of-games-days-games.html

quote:

Newsflash: After peaking at over 810 pence per share in October, Games Workshop's stock market value dropped sharply by 24% today, following their release of half-year numbers. Turnover (that is sales, people) is down 12% from last year.

http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2014/06/the-future-of-games-workshop-part-14.html

quote:

The most anticipated release from GW coming soon™

7th Edition 40k, Orks... Not what I am waiting for. For me the most anticipated release from Games Workshop this year is their 2013-2014 annual report.

After 7.5 posts full of warning signs and concerns about the direction GW is going, in January of this year, GW lost 25% of their stock value in a day, following a 12% drop in sales which resulted in 30% less profits.

quote:

What does it all mean?

Having said that, let's revisit the 20p dividends per share. 20p is 38p or 66% less than the 58p dividend from last year.

So, what does it all mean? Well, we don't know this for sure until we see the final report, BUT, we can create a few scenarios:

Scenario 1: It's really bad

1:1 correlation between profit and dividends (like 2011-2013)

GW was not able to stop the downward trend in sales. They lost more than 12% in sales (as it was half a year ago). In spite of pretty much firing everyone who didn't work in the US or the UK, cost cuts did not catch the fall.

Profits are down significantly to about 20p per share or - at 31,859,196 shares - to 6.4m for the period (compared to 16.32m for 2012-2013). Down 60%.

Scenario 2: It's bad with a handbrake.

2:1 correlation between profits and dividends (like in 2010)

GW was not able to significantly stop the downward trend in sales. However, by cutting cost (see above) and a few quick money-grabs (7th Edition), they were able to stabilize on a lower overall sales level.

Profits are down to about 40p per share or 12.8m for the period. Down 30% from last year.

By cutting the dividend, GW puts some cash into the war stash for next year. If this scenario turns out to be right, I fear the GW management expects the trend to continue and/or they have no idea how to stop it.

Scenario 3: Something in between or something completely different.

http://masterminis.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-future-of-games-workshop-part-15.html

quote:

The master-bubble-boy speaks and steps down.

Tom Kirby, chairman and acting CEO of Games Workshop said:

“Games Workshop has had a really good year.

If your measure of 'good' is the current financial year's numbers, you may not agree. But if your measure is the long-term survivability of a great cash generating business that still has a lot of potential growth, then you will agree.”

Here is what I respond to Mr. Kirby:

"No. Nobody agrees. Not your shareholders, not your customers, not your fans, not your stores, not your traders, not your employees. GW had a horrible year.

Instead of growing your business and our community you are now talking about survivability of GW. I award you no points and may the deity of your choice have mercy on your soul.

GG."

quote:

But there is a silver lining on the horizon. Tom Kirby will step down on January 1st, 2015:

"On the first of January next year I will be stepping down as CEO of Games Workshop. I intend staying on as non-executive Chairman (if the board will have me), so those of you who want to see an end to these preambles (rhymes with rambles), don't get your hopes up just yet."

Yeah... 'rambles'... OK, I do have something in common with him after all. :P I'll talk more about what I think needs to happen after Tom Kirby is gone in another EPIC wall of text with the full analysis of GW's good year.

Losses of 24% on stock price and CEOs stepping down is business as usual for successful companies with long term potential.

But, hey, I didn't dissect the actual financial statements like the guys at that site did. Maybe they missed something essential when looking at GW's performance over the last 5-6 years.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pentyne posted:

http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2013/08/the-future-of-games-days-games-workshop.html

http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2014/06/the-future-of-games-workshop-part-14.html

http://masterminis.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-future-of-games-workshop-part-15.html

Losses of 24% on stock price and CEOs stepping down is business as usual for successful companies with long term potential.

But, hey, I didn't dissect the actual financial statements like the guys at that site did. Maybe they missed something essential when looking at GW's performance over the last 5-6 years.

Nobody cares

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

pentyne posted:

:ironicat:
lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

pentyne posted:

:getout: No one care about your opinion.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

pentyne posted:

Holy poo poo, I've read some of Cornwall's books and in retrospect I can see a huge thematic influence of his writing on how ADB wrote Night Lords. I've read the Grail Quest and Saxon stories, and the Night Lords really remind me of the Saxon tales. The narrator is a Saxon (raised as a Viking) who enjoys the glory of war while surrounded by a culture that is slowly embracing Christianity and peaceful ways.

If you like ADB's style, Cornwall's is slightly similar and its all old historical fiction, even all the way back to the building of Stonehenge.

I really enjoyed his Warlord trilogy. Exceptionally well done. I'm going to look into some of his other stuff when I get the time.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

pentyne posted:

What is the best thing to come out of Georgia?

General Sherman, BOOM! Suck it, traitor states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Uroboros posted:

Going to jump back to how silly vengeful spirit was. I had forgotten to mention the stupid plague marine composed of sentient world-eater virus, and how Mortarian can drink the poo poo with zero side-effects. Idiotic...guess Chaos wins the loving war guys, time to go home.

Part of me thinks back to how the virus worked in Istavan III. Wouldn't he just be generating large amounts of explosive gas and a single Salamander with a flamer would just blow him and everything away in a 5k radius. Sure. 5k of planet is decimated in rot and incinerated in a giant fireball, but the virus would be destroyed until it finds another large enough source to come back.

Also...doesn't matter how immune to poison Mortarian is. Just get Kaldor Drago drunk on that fine rear end warp dust before he does open heart surgery on Morty again. Instead of carving his name on his heart he might just wobble enough to just tear out his chest cavity with thunder claws.