Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

InitialDave posted:

Driving inappropriate cars quickly is hilarious. You can make drat near anything go significantly faster than the average UK driver's pace (including the hot-hatch yoofs) with sufficient commitment. Cheap tyres squealing at the slightest hint of a corner, and the brake pads doing their best to remind you that, really, this relationship is something we all need to work on, don't you think?

James May tried to convince Clarkson of this once. He said it's more fun to drive a normal car at its limits rather than a supercar because that's what supercars are made for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's more fun to drive a normal car at it's limits than a supercar because it means 10, 15, MAYBE 20 over the limit, a nasty fine but no risk of losing your license or going to jail.

Driving a supercar at its limits means risking jail time or going to the track. And track scenery isn't as nice as back roads.

Also I can get normal cars for half a paycheck and use the other few hundred thousand to buy a house or something.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

James May tries to convince Clarkson of this every episode.

Do you even watch Top Gear mate

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Mister Kingdom posted:

James May tried to convince Clarkson of this once. He said it's more fun to drive a normal car at its limits rather than a supercar because that's what supercars are made for.

I cannot hoon around all day in a supercar without attracting either a ditch or the fuzz but a clapped out two-door Rav4? Pedal meets carpet and it strains badly to keep up with the city-bus but my smile doesn't get much bigger as I throw it into a roundabout like the mafia is chasing me.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

It's more fun to drive a normal car at it's limits than a supercar because it means 10, 15, MAYBE 20 over the limit, a nasty fine but no risk of losing your license or going to jail.

This isn't even just a thing with supercars, high performance production cars are pretty much the same way. When I drive my brother's MS3 it's either aggressively sprint up to 10 over the limit and then settle in like any other shitbox or else risk license-suspension levels of speeding if you really want to drive the car the way it's intended to be driven.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The problem with a modern midrange high-performance car is that they don't feel fast when they're going fast. Get in a modern BMW and floor it on the highway and you'll hit a hundred miles an hour and it'll be quiet and smooth and feel like you're going sixty. Which is great if you want to cruise at 100mph in comfort, but sucky if you want to feel like you're going fast and not go to jail.

You want the opposite -- something that feels fast when driven at normal speeds. I've never been more terrified and felt like I was going faster than the time I took an old MG Midget on I-80. Redline in fourth gear and we were just touching 70mph, wind screaming by, the whole car rattling and feeling like it was going to rapidly disassemble itself at any moment. :allears:

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

kastein posted:

Also I can get normal cars for half a paycheck and use the other few thousand dollars to buy a pile of rotted wood or something.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

I've never been more terrified and felt like I was going faster than the time I took an old MG Midget on I-80. Redline in fourth gear and we were just touching 70mph, wind screaming by, the whole car rattling and feeling like it was going to rapidly disassemble itself at any moment. :allears:

Let's be fair. It probably was.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I'm late, but regarding Duckchat, there's a company with a fleet of about half a dozen of the things in Pittsburgh. They're quite popular.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think that's why I love driving my Miata so much. It's not fast enough to get me in trouble, but it is a hoot to throw it around and row through the gears. My nearly 400hp Supra sucked in comparison because it was only 5 or 6 seconds to reach the speed limit and then it was cruising around in 5th from there on. Driving aggressively only made me look like a complete dick to the rest of traffic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

tobu posted:

I cannot hoon around all day in a supercar without attracting either a ditch or the fuzz but a clapped out two-door Rav4? Pedal meets carpet and it strains badly to keep up with the city-bus but my smile doesn't get much bigger as I throw it into a roundabout like the mafia is chasing me.

I get the same thing in the Crown Vic, I gun it and act like I'm in a 1990 episode of COPS, squeal the tires going around corners, kick up shitloads of gravel in the work parking lot (if nobody is around). I just pretend it isn't sucking down the gas while I do it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

This road right here is why sideways Suburbans are the best Suburbans. Had a friend along for that today, his face was priceless.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I'm late, but regarding Duckchat, there's a company with a fleet of about half a dozen of the things in Pittsburgh. They're quite popular.

Also Hot Springs. Like the one guy said, any city with a riverfront has 'em.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I get the same thing in the Crown Vic, I gun it and act like I'm in a 1990 episode of COPS, squeal the tires going around corners, kick up shitloads of gravel in the work parking lot (if nobody is around). I just pretend it isn't sucking down the gas while I do it.

I'm amazed I didn't take out a traffic light that time it snowed and I just driftuud the cop car all over downtown on a Sunday.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm considering chipping the A3 but I'm honestly torn on it because the turbo apparently comes on later and I enjoy that low to mid range blast of torque so much.

Short gears and a turbo in a hatchback make for some awesome times without breaking the law too much.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

HotCanadianChick posted:

When I was car shopping a few years ago I was looking at G35 coupes and every single one listed on Autotrader or Craigslist had a salvage title. Every single one.

This has caused me to come to the conclusion that the only people who buy G35s are the kind of JDM-boner shitlords who call their car a Skyline and promptly wreck it trying to Wangan Midnight it up.

From a page back, but it took me two months to find one without a salvage title. Then another month to find a black 6 speed. Worst game of car hunting ever. I probably would have never got one if I stuck to my guns of finding one with a black interior :(

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

I'm amazed I didn't take out a traffic light that time it snowed and I just driftuud the cop car all over downtown on a Sunday.

I drove my parents' old 1990 CV back in high school, that thing did some loving excellent donuts on the snow-covered school lawn.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I saw a bmw i3 today and now that is truly terrible car stuff.

One thing you can't really see all that well in the pictures is just how massive and terribly proportioned it is.

Think of the size of an older toyota rav 4 (because that's what it was behind) and you're at around 90% of that size. Except all the lights and fittings and body panels are the same size as a normal car, and none of the colors match.

Truly horrendous horrible terrible car poo poo.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Wild EEPROM posted:

One thing you can't really see all that well in the pictures is just how massive and terribly proportioned it is.

Think of the size of an older toyota rav 4 (because that's what it was behind) and you're at around 90% of that size. Except all the lights and fittings and body panels are the same size as a normal car, and none of the colors match.

I saw one on the road in Austin a few months ago, and another on a trailer transport in San Francisco last week. They have hilariously narrow tires. For that matter, why do they put such large diameter wheels on them? If they really wanted low rolling resistance, and efficiency, wouldn't it make more sense to put on some 15-16" lightweight wheel ?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MetaJew posted:

For that matter, why do they put such large diameter wheels on them? If they really wanted low rolling resistance, and efficiency, wouldn't it make more sense to put on some 15-16" lightweight wheel ?

Fashion, 100%.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Fiat basically does one thing right: Affordable small cars that are fun to chuck around like a mad Italian, always bouncing off the rev limiter.

I just don't understand why the Italians don't seem to be able to do a decent fwd transmission.

All the Japanese manufacturers can do it just fine even in their most basic models so it isn't like it's some kind of black art and given how much you need to row these small cars it's a very important attribute.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

I was really into the car before I saw photos of it in the wild and realized how stupid huge it was. I can't find the blog post that tipped me off, but I guess this gives a little insight into how much of a hatchback it isn't.

So disappointing.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Sagebrush posted:

Fashion, 100%.

Clearly the only part of the car where that was an issue.

Skeletard
Dec 21, 2004

I know the "car coming out of another car" look for the rear-end is something that's been around since the Ferrari California, but this is the first time I've thought "That car looks like it's actually in the process of attempting to give birth."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Skeletard posted:

I know the "car coming out of another car" look for the rear-end is something that's been around since the Ferrari California, but this is the first time I've thought "That car looks like it's actually in the process of attempting to give birth."

It looks like when I would clone an object inside itself in a 3D project and gave it a different color before moving it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

I just don't understand why the Italians don't seem to be able to do a decent fwd transmission.

All the Japanese manufacturers can do it just fine even in their most basic models so it isn't like it's some kind of black art and given how much you need to row these small cars it's a very important attribute.

The transmission in my Panda was fine :confused:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Wasabi the J posted:

It looks like when I would clone an object inside itself in a 3D project and gave it a different color before moving it.

The designers did it in CAD and accidentally sent that to manufacturing in between splitting the models. Manufacturing just went "eh" and a BMW was born.

Giving car birth.

Inception.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Wild EEPROM posted:

I kind of like the design, even the odd wheels and how it kind of looks like a car that is halfway through goomba-stomping another car, it reminds me of Mass Effect and FTL. Even though it has almost the same dimensions of a civic hatchback, it looks so massive and cumbersome in comparison.

If only it were the size of a fiat, it would be acceptable as a cool, futuristic novelty vehicle, but as is, it's a $50k eyesore

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Wrong thread, but relevant to the "powerful modern cars are boring"-chat: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

(Chris Harris in a Mercedes C36 AMG on space saver wheels.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Computer viking posted:

Wrong thread, but relevant to the "powerful modern cars are boring"-chat: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

(Chris Harris in a Mercedes C36 AMG on space saver wheels.)

link didn't work right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Whenever I see the i3 I can't help but think they should have done that car through their Mini brand. It's a weird fit for the BMW lineup but would be right at home as the Mini Cooper Countryman something something electric blah blah.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ It's certainly loving ugly enough to be a part of the Mini lineup.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Skeletard posted:

Well, now I can't unsee it. It looks like it is giving birth to an Acura TSX.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Odd. Oh well, thanks. :)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Some Norwegian dude just took delivery of one of the first i8's. I don't know what to think — the basic shape is nice, but the sharp aero details ruin it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Some Norwegian dude just took delivery of one of the first i8's. I don't know what to think — the basic shape is nice, but the sharp aero details ruin it.

I think it looks kind of cool, but also suspect that anything that looks futuristic now will look horribly dated very quickly. It kind of sucks that it's so hard to make a not-boring design that also ages well. Also, what I like about fast BMWs in particular is that they're not super flashy and attention-drawing. They're just a classy looking car that happens to be fast and fun to drive. James Bond in a suit, not Magnum P.I. in a Hawaiian shirt.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 2, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Imagined posted:

I think it looks kind of cool, but also suspect that anything that looks futuristic now will look horribly dated very quickly. It kind of sucks that it's so hard to make a not-boring design that also ages well.

They did a pretty good job 50 years ago when no one gave a poo poo about aerodynamics. :v:

For the most part. There's always been ugly cars, but people go nuts for the vintage stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Imagined posted:

I think it looks kind of cool, but also suspect that anything that looks futuristic now will look horribly dated very quickly. It kind of sucks that it's so hard to make a not-boring design that also ages well.

The Countach still looks awesome and futuristic.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Countach still looks awesome and futuristic.

The place where all those old but futuristic cars fall apart is the interior.

I wonder if the i8 will look so retro in 30 years.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
It's nice that they threw 30 years of ergonomics research directly in the toilet and went with a scroll wheel and LCD panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
In any Japanese sedan from the 90s to today, you can operate every single function without taking your eyes off the street. Even the fiancee's Prius is usable without looking at the display. Good job, BMW.