Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

The Sharmat posted:

Why is there anything wrong with speciesism? It's not like "race". Species are actually different. You'd be a fool to say a dog has color vision as good as a human, or that a human can smell as well as a dog.

There was a big dumb conversation about this but there shouldn't have been because the answer is "fantasy races have always been analogous to human race/ethnicity in real life." Elves and dwarves and poo poo were racial metaphors in Tolkein and they've been racial metaphors ever since (though obviously not always in the exact way Tolkein used them).

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I don't know if it's as much that the Keep is gonna be able to import your characters' appearances as it is that they're showing you those characters as a way to jog your memory. "Remember this douche? His antics is the save state that you're importing."

The wording on the tweet sounds to me like your characters' appearance will be imported into DAI through the Keep, and the demo video doesn't show any appearance data reflected in the Keep itself (you just get a name and an image showing your race/class/origin combination) so I'm pretty sure that's the case.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maylo
Nov 5, 2010
According to the Keep FAQ, it's going to import your characters' appearances from DAO & DA2 and there isn't a character creator.

I am foreseeing any custom Hawkes or Wardens looking dumb as hell in Inquisition.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Maylo posted:

According to the Keep FAQ, it's going to import your characters' appearances from DAO & DA2 and there isn't a character creator.

I am foreseeing any custom Hawkes or Wardens looking dumb as hell in Inquisition.

edit: Oops, nope I thought we were talking about the DAI main character, but that's not at issue here. haha.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Maylo posted:

That's overselling it a little.

DA Keep FAQ posted:

Is there a character creator?

Sadly not. The Keep will attempt to recognize your Wardens and Hawkes from previous playthroughs so they can be reflected as part of your history, but you won’t be able to edit appearances or customize new characters, as that information is not carried forward to future titles.
They tried to word it vague enough, as if the Keep is going to be able to recognize your characters' appearance, but what it's actually saying is the exact opposite. It will recognize your Wardens and Hawkes, as in, it will load up their game history, but their appearance information doesn't carry over.

Those character portraits we saw in the Keep demo video are the same ones that got automatically loaded into your Bioware social network profile that logs all the characters you've created if you've registered your game (I believe you can see mine here if you care enough. It apparently didn't even save some of my characters' headshots). It is, literally, just a screen capture of your character, which is a far cry from being able to save and import their appearance data to be able to work in a whole new game.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 2, 2014

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That really doesn't bother me. I'm probably one of the few who thought default Hawke looked fine for both genders, and I was never too attached to my Warden's looks. I'm sure whatever default they make for the Inquisition Wardens will be better looking than 90% of the custom creations.

Anyone know why there's a worldstate limit for the Keep of five? Is storing that data that taxing for EA?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nichael posted:

That really doesn't bother me. I'm probably one of the few who thought default Hawke looked fine for both genders, and I was never too attached to my Warden's looks. I'm sure whatever default they make for the Inquisition Wardens will be better looking than 90% of the custom creations.

Anyone know why there's a worldstate limit for the Keep of five? Is storing that data that taxing for EA?

How many worlds do you need at any given time that you'd play through? I think five is more than enough. You can always delete and add more.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Drifter posted:

How many worlds do you need at any given time that you'd play through? I think five is more than enough. You can always delete and add more.

I've actually only played the games once, I don't like replaying games most of the time. I was just curious why limit it at five. It seems so arbitrary, and I can't imagine each world state is much data.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nichael posted:

I've actually only played the games once, I don't like replaying games most of the time. I was just curious why limit it at five. It seems so arbitrary, and I can't imagine each world state is much data.

Five, like the fingers on your hand.

That's probably what the Bioware devs figured would be easiest to remember.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
One where you have the "perfect" run through, one where you do everything "wrong" and three extra.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

BrianWilly posted:

You couldn't import your appearance at all. And it was never fixed. And they never mentioned it right up until the game was released and players had to discover this for themselves.

The hilarity is that it only couldn't import your appearance if you started your character from ME1. It only worked if your character was created from scratch during ME2. So basically it punished you for being more loyal to the series.

(I know it was a matter of the character engine being different or whatever, yada yada)

The thing with that was that ME2 had to have a fairly complicated system to transfer over the ME1 faces. So when they made ME2 they created a new system that gave each facial feature a unique code. ME3 simply imported that code. But ME1 faces that hadn't been modified didn't have a code. I was actually able to import my ME1 character because I'd changed their hairstyle in ME2, which allowed the game to assign the face a code. So as long as you had your character from ME2 all you needed to do was start a new game with them, get to the face editing part, choose your old face, make a change and then reverse the change to the face and you had a code which you could write down and input into ME3. It's a silly workaround that shouldn't have been necessary, they should have just set ME2 to automatically give all faces a code.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Given how dorky the helmets and hats were in DA:O I don't think I even remember what my Warden's face looked like.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

caleramaen posted:

The thing with that was that ME2 had to have a fairly complicated system to transfer over the ME1 faces. So when they made ME2 they created a new system that gave each facial feature a unique code. ME3 simply imported that code. But ME1 faces that hadn't been modified didn't have a code. I was actually able to import my ME1 character because I'd changed their hairstyle in ME2, which allowed the game to assign the face a code. So as long as you had your character from ME2 all you needed to do was start a new game with them, get to the face editing part, choose your old face, make a change and then reverse the change to the face and you had a code which you could write down and input into ME3. It's a silly workaround that shouldn't have been necessary, they should have just set ME2 to automatically give all faces a code.

You can't make a change to the import face in ME2, you can import it exactly as-is or rebuild it from scratch.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Opposing Farce posted:

Elves and dwarves and poo poo were racial metaphors in Tolkein

No they weren't. Tolkien was adamant that his work wasn't really a metaphor for anything.

Here's where you go "death of the author" on me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

No they weren't. Tolkien was adamant that his work wasn't really a metaphor for anything.

It is possible, and even common, for an author to be wrong about their own work. Just look at anything Bioware writers say about Dragon Age 2!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
In that case they're racial metaphors simply because a bunch of lit majors decided they're racial metaphors.

And if they are racial metaphors, considering what that says about the nature of the elves (presumably aryan ubermensch) and the orcs (africans/middle easterners/dark people) and the people who decided those things' preconceptions about race, I have no interest in listening to their opinions or emulating them in other works.

Also the statement that they have been racial metaphors "ever since" Tolkien also implies that poster only reads lovely derivative fantasy in the first place.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

marktheando posted:

It is possible, and even common, for an author to be wrong about their own work. Just look at anything Bioware writers say about Dragon Age 2!

No. It's not. Games are written by committee, so things get muddled. But for a work written by a single person the actual author is the first, last, and only opinion that actually matters about what the book is trying to "say", unless they prove themselves so mentally incompetent that they cannot be trusted on their word about anything whatsoever. And even then you had better have some drat convincing evidence.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 2, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Flytrap posted:

No. It's not. Games are written by committee, so things get muddled. But for a work written by a single person the actual author is the first, last, and only opinion that actually matters about what the book is trying to "say", unless they prove themselves so mentally incompetent that they cannot be trusted on their word about anything whatsoever.

Someone's not up on modern literary "theory" (and I use that word loosely).

But I'm gonna exit this discussion before a swarm of rabid lit majors descend on me in a desperate attempt to justify their degrees.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Tolkien said his work wasn't a metaphor for anything, but it was clearly influenced by his life and experiences. His real life views on war, industrialisation, religion, and many other things seep into his work. Also the way he writes about race is really dubious sometimes.

The Sharmat posted:

Someone's not up on modern literary "theory" (and I use that word loosely).

But I'm gonna exit this discussion before a swarm of rabid lit majors descend on me in a desperate attempt to justify their degrees.

Yes, god forbid someone who knows what they are talking about weighs in.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Actual 19th century 'tudes towards literature itt.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Sharmat posted:

Well basically what that amounts to is "author did not intend it, but it works that way anyway". Which is kinda interesting when that happens.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
For real though people who insist on doing a reading of LotR as being some kind of racist narrative are the most annoying of people.

Like, all the poo poo going on in those books and that's what you get out of it?

Edit: The real life people the orcs are most likely to stand in for is Germans, imo.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

marktheando posted:

DA2's writers are under the illusion that DA2 has the sort of consistency that allows it to make a coherent statement. Death of the author on the other hand is based on the erroneous idea that everything necessary to understand a text is found within the text. This is incorrect. All texts exist within contexts which, when understood, amplify understanding of a text. The authors's opinion is one of many factors which should be taken into account when trying to understand any work of literature.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yes but what does literary theory say about "I like big boats and I cannot lie"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Tolkiens work aren't a metaphor for anything, but curiously enough the good guys are in the west of the continent, while paradise is even more to the west across the sea. And the evil hordes and the evil overlord come from the east. Surely this had nothing to do with being a Brit during the cold war, no way.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Have any of you guys read The Iron Dream? It's a pretty cool yarn about a dude doing some racial cleansing in post-apocalyptic Europe, please don't read too much into it with that SJW death of the author bullcrap though, it's just some good honest fun about killing mutants :)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
^^^lol

Torrannor posted:

Tolkiens work aren't a metaphor for anything, but curiously enough the good guys are in the west of the continent, while paradise is even more to the west across the sea. And the evil hordes and the evil overlord come from the east. Surely this had nothing to do with being a Brit during the cold war, no way.

Probably had more to do with the two wars he lived through. It's not like the Orcs built a big wall and stared daggers at Gondor after they defeated a common foe. It was pretty much all war all the time. I'm tellin' you, they're Germans.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 2, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Sauron was a stand-in for Margaret Thatcher. Tolkien knew things.

His stories were more analogous to labor rights, unions and government lobbyists.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brony Hunter posted:

Given how dorky the helmets and hats were in DA:O I don't think I even remember what my Warden's face looked like.

My Warden looked almost exactly like Alistair. Then I think I kept a helmet on him all the time so whatever.

I can't even remember my Hawke.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Codependent Poster posted:

My Warden looked almost exactly like Alistair. Then I think I kept a helmet on him all the time so whatever.

I can't even remember my Hawke.

Normal people won't. Anyone complaining about not being able to edit the features of their previous games' incarnation is a horrible mutant of a human being.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
All I remember of my character in DA1 is that he was really scrawny and had a neckbeard.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
All I know is I'm gonna gently caress that ghost.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Torrannor posted:

There were also the 'human' worshipers of Sauron and his boss, which counted among them 'black men that looked as if they were half trolls' from the conveniently southern continent that was entirely made up of these black men, who never advanced beyond tribal nature.

He didn't hide behind 'orcs are actually the blacks', he just flat out made all black people huge ugly freaks who worshiped an evil god.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

KittyEmpress posted:

There were also the 'human' worshipers of Sauron and his boss, which counted among them 'black men that looked as if they were half trolls' from the conveniently southern continent that was entirely made up of these black men, who never advanced beyond tribal nature.

He didn't hide behind 'orcs are actually the blacks', he just flat out made all black people huge ugly freaks who worshiped an evil god.

Yeah. Lord of the Rings not being racist is a pretty hard argument to make when you don't even need to look for an allegory in the orcs, trolls, et al-- you can just look at how he described the non-white humans (Easterlings, Southrons, etc.) who show up.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That does kinda absolve the Orcs and Trolls as being meant as a racial allegory though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think you can be racist and incorporate it into your work without consciously realizing it. Just the same way you can be stupid and incorporate that into your scriptwriting at Bioware.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dragon Age Inquisition: Tolkien Was a Racist

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

All I know is I'm gonna gently caress that ghost.

This man has his priorities straight. That post made me laugh really hard.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Brony Hunter posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dragon Age Inquisition: Tolkien Was a Racist

I'll admit that as a member of the intellectual elite in the UK in the early 20th century, and judging (tentatively) from some of his work, he probably was a little bit racist.

That doesn't make elves, dwarves, trolls and orcs an allegory for real races though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Sharmat posted:

I'll admit that as a member of the intellectual elite in the UK in the early 20th century, and judging (tentatively) from some of his work, he probably was a little bit racist.

That doesn't make elves, dwarves, trolls and orcs an allegory for real races though.

I was always of the opinion that the different racess in Tolkien's works were less races, and more ideologies or types of people. The elves being a dying race of perfect people who only want to see peace and to have evil stop (Tolkien himself was very anti-war due to his experiences). The dwarves being conservative people who don't want to change what they're doing, even as it leads them to ruin, their search for wealth and inability to change dooming themselves. The orcs being lesser, diminished, dumber than other races, because they are a race that sees war as proper, and thrives in conflict (tying in to the elves being the exact opposite, with Orcs being literally elves tainted by evil magic. Where elves are few, perfect, and wonderful, orcs are many, flawed, and lesser)

But gently caress if I know. I only read LotR once when I was like 14.

Edit: Oh, and hobbits are a race untainted by the idea of war or conflict, or the idea of wanting to hurt each other. This is explicitly why hobbits have a bit more resistance to the rings than the other races.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit: Oh, and hobbits are a race untainted by the idea of war or conflict, or the idea of wanting to hurt each other. This is explicitly why hobbits have a bit more resistance to the rings than the other races.

Hobbits are children. Tolkien was a kiddy-diddler.

• Locked thread