Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

It wasn't just Johnny's left arm that King broke; he systematically broke all of Johnny's limbs. :stare:

Urist's axe could have been a huge threat, but Sunny weathered the abuse like a champ. Johnny, though, did he have adamantine covering every inch of his body? I don't know what the team would've done to take him out without King's fists. Bruising muscle through adamantine armor, Jesus! A wonderfully brutal match with noble opponents.

Caught a human by the toe again, too. King's not a fan of that nursery rhyme!

^^^ It seemed like King only took wounds to the hand--a torn muscle and motor nerve--and the exploded eye, along with an upper body/rib bruise.

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

That was an absolutely amazing fight holy crap. I find myself wondering if suiting up entirely in adamantine was Johnny Bravo's plan from the start. It was brilliant, the only flaw being his teammates. Still, I applaud their valiant efforts and look forward to once again meeting them on the field of battle in the distant future.

gently caress you, Johnny, for putting King's eye out and not mine :arghfist::yarr:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Iunnrais posted:

How beat up was King by the end of that? Can we see an injury list, or did you already close it up?

I did, sorry. Nothing seemed to be slowing him down, at any rate, so nothing was crippling.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
:siren: Test Tournament, Semifinals, Match 2 :siren:

On the left from top to bottom, the Catholicism, featuring The Pope the Kobold managed by Coward, Aspenger the Human managed by iLonie and snarfsnarf the Tiger Woman managed by grobbendonk.

On the right from top to bottom, Meat and Two Veg featuring TreeLoved the Elf managed by Bene Elim, Compost Day the Elf managed by Ramc and Onan the Human managed by Afriscipio.

One of these teams will be going to the finals, one of them will face off against The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo for the third place position.

The fighters advance! The Pope fires her first shot towards Meat and Two Veg. She connects but only leaves a bruise on Compost Day.

The melee fighters meet in the middle as always and attacks are blocked, deflected or dodged on both sides!

Onan charges at snarfsnarf, a much larger foe! Is this bravery or mere stupidity?! Either way it ends with Onan falling to the ground. The Tiger Woman makes no attempt to capitalize on this moment, perhaps too shocked by what just happened to move. Onan stands up and snarfsnarf decides to charge at TreeLoved! TreeLoved is bowled over backwards but again manages to stand before snarfsnarf can make further attacks. It is not until Aspenger scratches Onan's right ear clean off that first blood is achieved in the arena.

TreeLoved follows his fellow Human's maiming with a stab to snarfsnarf's left leg, bringing her to the ground! TreeLoved follows up shortly after with a bone-fracturing spear stab to snarfsnarf's right arm, causing the Tiger Woman to drop her shield and give in to pain.

The Pope lets another arrow fly that is shortly blocked by Compost Day's shield. Compost Day then decides to charge Aspenger head on! While the human is surprised, she need not be, as Compost Day bounces backwards after the collision. Aspenger takes this opportunity to stab Compost Day's right foot with her sword, grounding Compost Day.

While TreeLoved is busy repeatedly trying to stab snarfsnarf's head Onan and Compost Day attack Aspenger to no avail! It is not until Compost Day slashes Aspenger's left hand with all his might that the woman is finally wounded. Aspenger drops her sword while the blood from her hand makes it all the way into the southern moat of the arena.

Soon after Compost Day explodes Aspenger's left ear, a suitable revenge for the earlier scratch-off. The Pope tries to help his teammate with another arrow, unfortunately it is deflected harmlessly off of Onan's boots. Finally after many stabbing attempts by TreeLoved, the elf breaks through snarfsnarf's skull and the Tiger Woman is no more!

With only one melee fighter left on Catholicism's side, TreeLoved wanders back towards his allies and joins in the lopsided match. Perhaps knowing how deadly TreeLoved can be with his spear, Aspenger decides to charge the Elf! She succeeds in knocking him back but not much else. TreeLoved responds by stabbing Aspenger's right hand, causing her to drop her shield to the floor. Soon after Compost Day cuts off Aspenger's left leg and she falls to the ground to join her shield. Then the torture begins. Compost Day finishes the job on Aspenger's left ear by cutting it off completely. The Pope looses another arrow at Onan but can't seem to penetrate his armor. Compost Day punches Aspenger in the lip, causing it to rupture. This is followed by TreeLoved crushing her cheek with the shaft of his spear. Compost Day smacks Aspenger in the eye with the flat of his blade. The next part can only be described as some kind of insane dental torture, or maybe Meat and Two Veg just hate teeth this much? Spear, sword, maul and hands are used to extract what may have been every single one of Aspenger's teeth. Now they lie in a pile next to her bruised and beaten body.

Not captured in image: Many more teeth

The torture continues for several more brutal seconds until Aspenger's body looks something like this:

Not captured in image: More wounds

Finally the torment ends when Compost Day decides to behead Aspenger and end her miserable existence.

Now only The Pope was left on Catholicism's side of the arena. TreeLoved confronts the tiny Kobold first, blocking the creatures panicked attempt at loosing an arrow with his shield. TreeLoved stabs The Pope in the hand, causing the Kobold to drop her bow. Then the Elf stabs her in the guts.

After Compost Day gets one more slice in with his sword, this time cutting off the Kobold's left arm, TreeLoved mercifully stabs The Pope in the head to end the fight.

Final Score: Meat and Two Veg - 3, Catholicism - 0

Kills: TreeLoved - 2, Compost Day - 1

Combat Log

Congrats to Meat and Two Veg for making it to the finals! Catholicism, we'll see you soon.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Wow. That was some fight. It seems that a maul was not the most intelligent choice for Onan...

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Onan punches Aspenger in the upper front teeth with his right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Compost Day strikes Aspenger in the lower front teeth with the pommel of his steel long sword and the severed part sails off in an arc!
TreeLoved scratches Aspenger in the lower right back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Aspenger misses TreeLoved!
Onan kicks Aspenger in the lower left back teeth with his right foot and the severed part sails off in an arc!

What the gently caress you guys

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Compost Day, Onan & Treeloved
Dental Surgeons

Extractions are our specialty. Ask about our group discount.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

SynthOrange posted:

HERE *punch* IS WHAT WE THINK *smash* OF THE PAPACY! *crunch*

Maybe showing our team some inflammatory Chick Tracts before the fight was a bad idea guys.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I hope they sweep the arena up after matches.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

New team name (works on two levels due to being majority elven)- "The Tooth Faeries"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I went from 0-4 to having the second most money. So now I've bet it all.

Please relieve me of my excessive wealth.

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
So finally our luck gave out. It's an interesting guessing game to choose what to improve between skill, armour and weapons, I think trying to improve all three at the same time was the wrong choice for snarfsnarf with a smaller budget.

I'm not sure of the value of an archer in this format, it just creates a mismatch at the skirmish line which more often than not was fatal before the arrows find their mark. I'm suprised at the frequency that arrows have been blocked by shields.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

The main tournament will also be 3v3 teams, right?

Are any of the non-Jazzimus commissioners planning on running a 1v1 tournament alongside?

If not, I'd be interested to do so.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We all are itching to run multiple tournaments, just need that part coded.

Don't know if people will do 2v2 or 5v5 or change archers or do other random things, but a few of us definitely want to run multiples. We chatted about collaborating on another tournament a bit.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Clearly you should run a Royal Rumble.

No I don't know how you'd go about it, but it should be done, dammit!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

grobbendonk posted:

I'm not sure of the value of an archer in this format, it just creates a mismatch at the skirmish line which more often than not was fatal before the arrows find their mark. I'm suprised at the frequency that arrows have been blocked by shields.

Shields seem to be a pretty hard counter to arrows with enough skill.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I have archer team (and fighter) concepts that I think could be pretty strong.

What are you guys using as a testbed for fighter concepts?

I currently put my ideas up against a wrestling yeti, a two-handed sword tigerman, a naked highly skilled human and a fully armoured human.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Royal rumble might need to be coded into the site, unless we just say it's a 1 round 1 team tournament so you can easily download the macros.

No idea, this tournament isn't done and we have already asked for a boatload of work from Jazzimus!

Edit; Jack, I just download my fighters from previous tournaments to test with. There is a little bit of everything there.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Jack the Lad posted:

Are any of the non-Jazzimus commissioners planning on running a 1v1 tournament alongside?

Yeah I plan on running a tournament or two alongside the main one. It sounded like several of the commissioners had ideas already for their own tournaments.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Ah, bums. I knew it would basically come down to this. Archery is just too slow in the current version, so unless an archer can get a good first shot, it's very likely his or her two melee team mates are going to get mowed down by the full three on the other side.

Thank you to my two mighty Cardinals, who took Catholicism farther than it could ever dream of going. Still can't believe we made it to the Semis.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Don't despair! You can still take third place, a respectable position, by defeating my team in the next match!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Coward posted:

Thank you to my two mighty Cardinals, who took Catholicism farther than it could ever dream of going. Still can't believe we made it to the Semis.

a surprisingly papable team

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I love how the bet leaders are all placing their full amount on the fights.

Except Bene. gently caress that guy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The biggest losers also put all their money in. :smith:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have all of this money sitting in my account but since it's a fraction of a dwarfbuck it wont let me spend it.

I WANT TO BET MY FRACTION.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

When will the final matches of the tournament be run? I'm going away on business shortly and I don't want to miss them.

Looking at the betting so far, Meat and Two Veg are the underdogs.
The Wild Animals: 23,003
Meat and Two Veg: 9,900

Whereas for the 3rd place playoff, the teams have almost equal bets.
The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo: 6,566
Catholicism: 6,065

Afriscipio fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 2, 2014

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Meat and Two Veg have shown some disturbing behavior the last two matches. I think the elves may have a bit of the Fair Folk in them.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I have all of this money sitting in my account but since it's a fraction of a dwarfbuck it wont let me spend it.

I WANT TO BET MY FRACTION.

Me and my 0.18 dorfbux are with you on that one.

Oh wait

Spermy Smurf posted:

YOU SUCK, NO BETTING FRACTIONS, GET BENT

e: Oh wait, I got 100 dorfbux for free because I'm better than you, guess you're on your own.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Afriscipio posted:

Looking at the betting so far, Meat and Two Veg are the underdogs.
The Wild Animals: 23,003
Meat and Two Veg: 9,900

Maybe everyone should bet some MORE money on the Wild Animals.

No reason.

I want your money

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren::siren:Test Tournament, Bronze Medal Match:siren::siren:

On the left we have The Good, The Bad, and the Bravo. Fighters are: Willow Rawhide, a female goblin, Johnny Bravo the human, and Urist the Boring the dwarf. Managers are Ablative, Silverminnow, and Haystack.

On the right we have the stupid butthole team that knocked my team out of the tournament: Catholicism. Fighters are The Pope, a female kobold, Aspenger the human, and snarfsnarf the tigerman. Managers are Coward, iLonie, and grobbendonk.

The Pope begins the fight by firing an arrow way the gently caress off target while the other fighters rush to the center of the arena. The fighters now dance around each other, Aspenger drawing first blood against Johnny Bravo with a superficial wound to the hand.

snarfsnarf sends Urist the Boring to the floor stunned! Urist the Boring wastes no time standing back up.

The Pope fires a second arrow nearly point blank at Willow Rawhide who has dodged very near him, but the goblin blocks the arrow on her shield.

Urist the Boring takes a few blows from snarfsnarf before he stops seeing stars (he was stunned from the charge). As his vision clears he swings his adamantine axe, severing snarfsnarf's head from his shoulders. snarfsnarf is down and headless! Now it is Aspenger against 3 melee fighters, with The Pope providing archer support. Aspenger has been smacked with a blunt object and is covered with bruises already. Will he be enough to delay the enemy so The Pope can headshot them all?

Aspenger charges Willow Rawhide, sending her to the floor stunned, but Johnny Bravo comes to the rescue and forces Aspenger away before he can capitalize. The Popes next arrow flies wide across the arena.

Johnny Bravo continues to inflict bruises all over Aspenger through his armor, but is unable to do much more. The three fighters surround Aspenger now who can only dodge and attempt to minimize the damage he takes.

Aspenger continues to surprise me by dodging away, then charging and sending Urist the Boring to the ground stunned. The Pope fires again, and the arrow is blocked again. Come on, The Pope, your teammate needs you desperately!

In this screenshot you can see the small z's which are Urist's teeth.
Aspenger steps forward and punts Urist the Boring's teeth from his face. Urist responds by hacking Aspenger's arm, nearly severing it from his body. Shieldless and in great pain, Aspenger is an easy target.

Willow Rawhide lashes the human in the foot, sending him to the ground where he soon falls unconsious.
Aspenger loses his head with Urist the Boring's next swing. That's two head-severings for Urist. The three fighters look at The Pope who probably pisses himself with fear.

The Pope gets one last arrow away that flies straight past everyone and clatters against the far wall uselessly. Urist catches up to him a second later and plays guillotine with him. The Pope's head lands next to his body.

Urist takes all 3 kills, with three spectaclar head-cutting-offs.

I didn't mention Johnny Bravo hardly at all, but he chased his opponents around with his war hammer and kept them occupied which I believe was instrumental in this victory. He had the skill, but his weapon just couldn't make a crippling blow to get him some glory.

The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo win a decisive 3-0 victory to take the 3rd place trophy.

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 2, 2014

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
drat, I can only assume that a Kobald this far in the tournament had maxed out Archery and Bow skills and yet not a single shot worth a drat. Makes me sad, always wanted to see a team with the usual melee:range ratio reversed. Or Hell, just three dudes with crossbows and see what happens.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Ramc posted:

Maybe everyone should bet some MORE money on the Wild Animals.

No reason.

I want your money

Good luck to you, Meat and Two Veg. I don't think The Wild Animals will be ending up on your dinner plate tonight!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

King Cohort posted:

Good luck to you, Meat and Two Veg. I don't think The Wild Animals will be ending up on your dinner plate tonight!

You were the team I figured we'd be facing in the finals, but don't count your dislodged eyeballs just yet.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I believe the final fight is being run and written up now.

I am placing my entire fortune of .95 bux on Meat and Two Veg if I could bet fractions :argh:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

I believe the final fight is being run and written up now.

It is, but very slowly as it's my first time running a fight and it's going to be a moderate effortpost, as befits a grand final.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I suppose no real reason to be shy about equipment load outs when it is the last fight.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, people will hopefully be making builds public, it's part of learning the new df version.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
The fight is run and we have a winner. Unfortunately, you don't get to find out who until tomorrow! The write-up is partially complete but I really need to sleep as I have work in the morning.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Maugrim posted:

The fight is run and we have a winner. Unfortunately, you don't get to find out who until tomorrow! The write-up is partially complete but I really need to sleep as I have work in the morning.

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

:negative:

• Locked thread