Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Twelve by Pies posted:

All of toku? Not sure. For Rider though, I'm thinking maybe Ryuki? Unless you want to disqualify it due to the timeline reset.

Pray the same cannot be said for Gaim.

Also I'm going to flat out say it- Gaim is a lovely Rider. Good kid, lots of heart and idealisim, makes for a good shonen anime hero I guess, but Jesus CHRIST he sucks as a Rider. Kaito is a much better Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I think Kouta works well in this context as a DECONSTRUCTION of a shounen protagonist because everything has gone to poo poo SINCE he's trusted people. Kaito is a more realistic character in that he's pragmatic and genre savvy about how killcrazy the Riders are. Kouta still is 50 percent smarter then most anime protagonists though, save for his Micchy sized blind spot for most of it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

I think Kouta works well in this context as a DECONSTRUCTION of a shounen protagonist because everything has gone to poo poo SINCE he's trusted people. Kaito is a more realistic character in that he's pragmatic and genre savvy about how killcrazy the Riders are. Kouta still is 50 percent smarter then most anime protagonists though, save for his Micchy sized blind spot for most of it.

This isn't really a deconstruction at all. Especially since Kouta will still be revived and win in the end. He's still a shonen protagonist who hasn't given up on his friend even though said friend literally stabbed him.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
oh man please don't have micchy getting a distraction attack in to let kouta finish kaito off

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Kouta may still win but he'll still have all those deaths to bear, and will most likely still be scarred from the experience. Not exactly a total win.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

dordreff posted:

Ryouma was too beautiful for this terrible world

I had to stop the episode due to laughter at the deadpan delivery on "What just happened?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solaris Knight posted:

Kouta may still win but he'll still have all those deaths to bear, and will most likely still be scarred from the experience. Not exactly a total win.

We'll see how the story ends-and it still does not raise him above the likes of Ichigo of Bleach or Naruto of...Naruto.

He's a lovely Kamen Rider no matter how you slice it. Plus he REALLY didn't need to get stabbed-that was sheer idiocy on his part.

To me, what really defines a Kamen Rider to me, puts it into actual terms I can compare other heroes with, is the message of Kamen Rider Kuuga, which is solidified in episode 2. I'd quote it directly, but I don't have the episodes anymore because of my computer dying.

The long and short of it is this- you cannot be half hearted. Not about anything. You can't second guess, you can't take back, because if you're going to make a difference, you have to go all in.

This is shown wonderfully in Kamen Rider Black, much better than what we got here. There Black steeled himself up to kill Shadow Moon, they were fighting it out-and the Creation King for a brief moment reverted Shadow Moon back to his human self. For a brief moment, forced Black to realize the person he was about to kill was his brother-and gave him hope that maybe he could save him.

This got him killed. He came back, stronger than ever, steeled his resolve, and killed Shadow Moon in their next meeting because he is a Kamen Rider.

Here, Kouta just out right refuses to give up on Michi even past ALL REASON, even when it's literally gotten Mai killed, and he's already killed Takatora.

He also refuses to MOVE OUT OF THE loving WAY ENOUGH so he doesn't get stabbed in the stomach, so you know.

Hell, just grab Michi with some goddamn vines and take the lockseed off like that for fucks sake.

But no. Instead we got the dumbest sacrifice move I've seen in Kamen Rider and next week Kouta gets ANOTHER pep rally in a mystical not real place by talking to the Powers That Be for the fifth loving time on this show. That really isn't getting old.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Burkion posted:

The long and short of it is this- you cannot be half hearted. Not about anything. You can't second guess, you can't take back, because if you're going to make a difference, you have to go all in.

Here, Kouta just out right refuses to give up on Michi even past ALL REASON

Can you please read this thing you wrote

Kamen Rider kills monsters Kamen Rider doesn't kill humans

Ryuki, for all it's flaws, found Shinji at his lowest when he thought he had taken a human life. Black only resolved to kill his brother when he realized that he was no longer human. An overarching idea of Kamen Rider since the very start is that there is something inherently worth preserving and protecting about humanity, and Kamen Rider only fights that which opposes that humanity.

Did Kouta kill Micchy? No. Did he defeat him? Absofuckinglutely. Was he willing to do that at the cost of his own life? Yes. I'm sorry he didn't rider kick a hole through a human being but that's not how Kamen Rider works.

A constant paralell in this show has been the idea of what it means to take a human life. No matter how despicable, no matter how wrong the person, it is not the role of Kamen Rider to decide which human beings get to live and die. The moment we realize the Overlords, even at their most benevolent are not good people is when Sid is killed by Roshuo. Sid's evil is demonstrated when he decides to kill Hase, Micchy's iredeemability is shown when he kills Takatora. Note how neither of these situations find themselves being dealt with by Gaim, Sid is only killed by someone who has lost all desire to protect. Kouta's entire arc has been about redeeming himself for killing his friend in the first episode. Kamen Rider is not PART of humanity, because he is simply NOT HUMAN, but he has decided to fight for whatever humanity remains within him by protecting mankind from inhuman forms of evil.

For Micchy, the only aspect of him which was inhuman was the power he had been given. Unlike Baron, or Gaim, that power has not taken away any actual aspect of what makes him human. There's a reason that as soon as Baron is no longer human, he has no problem straight up loving murdering a dude.

I mean we have to at some point remember that everyone else in the show has been a Beat Rider, an Armored Rider, an Energy Rider, etc. There's actually only one Kamen Rider in the show who we can hold to this standard. Bravo.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 2, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is the difference between Michi killing some one and Baron killing some one?

Because until we see otherwise, Takatora is still dead.

He is no better than Sid was if we use that as a basis of what is right and wrong. At that point Michi crossed the threshold as you said and became irredeemable.

And my argument was never that Kouta had to kill Michi, but that he should have dealt with him without all of the flailing and exclamation and bullshit.

If Kouta actually fought back, held Michi down, and destroyed the belt in combat? That'd be fine and he wouldn't be bleeding out the stomach right now. Instead he is super forgiving of some one who has literally murdered people and sold out the ENTIRE human race to a species that wants nothing more than to destroy us.

Kouta is a lovely Kamen Rider in that regard. In the same situation, Double, OOOs, Kuuga, Black, V3, almost any of the rest would not have fought Michi like Kouta did, and we wouldn't be going through yet another spirit vision with Kouta to rerereaffirm his resolve and all that bullshit.

I'd be fine if this was earlier in the story or if Kouta didn't have a clear picture of what a monster Michi had become-but it's at the doorstep of the finale, and he does have that picture.

Black died because of human weakness.

Kuuga died because he underestimated an enemy.

Phillip died because he knew what he was fighting for was more important than himself.

Riderman died for the good of all Japan.

Kouta? Kouta died because he's a loving idiot who doesn't know how to use his own powers or, at the very least, DODGE.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Burkion posted:

This is shown wonderfully in Kamen Rider Black, much better than what we got here. There Black steeled himself up to kill Shadow Moon, they were fighting it out-and the Creation King for a brief moment reverted Shadow Moon back to his human self. For a brief moment, forced Black to realize the person he was about to kill was his brother-and gave him hope that maybe he could save him.

This got him killed. He came back, stronger than ever, steeled his resolve, and killed Shadow Moon in their next meeting because he is a Kamen Rider.

Reading this description reminds me of when Sid killed Hase, and mockingly said he was destroying a monster and that it was heroic. They said they were going for a Black/Shadow Moon kind of thing in the story, so they had to have that in mind somewhere. Maybe they're saying a Kamen Rider doesn't have to be like that, and can save the fallen. It'd make sense with the younger audience too, "gently caress it, they're gone, kill'em" wouldn't be a great message for kids, which Kamen Rider leans a lot more to these days.

That said, the fight did play out absurdly and Kouta could have incapacitated Miccy.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think the major difference is that Micchy was still fighting to protect someone. Yeah, he was twisted, but his goal was still "I'm going to protect Mai." This is a far cry from everyone else who was pretty much "I want more/unlimited power." This I'm pretty sure is what makes him different from the others, that even though he'd lost all sense of reason, he still at least had a somewhat noble goal in his heart. He was just going about it the wrong way.

Now I'd like to say Kouta's actions were an attempt to show Micchy that he still wouldn't be happy even if he got what he wanted, because he was going about it the wrong way. To go "Hey, look, I'm out of the way, you've protected Mai, was everything you did worth it?" However if I said that it'd pretty much be me excusing bad writing, since Kouta basically said flat out "I forgive you for everything you ever did, Micchy!"

So while I can understand why Kouta didn't kill Micchy, I can't understand his reasoning for not dodging Micchy's attack other than an attempt to make everything more dramatic because oh no Kouta is dead! (Except we all know he's coming back.)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think the major difference is that Micchy was still fighting to protect someone. Yeah, he was twisted, but his goal was still "I'm going to protect Mai." This is a far cry from everyone else who was pretty much "I want more/unlimited power." This I'm pretty sure is what makes him different from the others, that even though he'd lost all sense of reason, he still at least had a somewhat noble goal in his heart. He was just going about it the wrong way.

Was it really "for Mai" though? I got the feeling through out the show that his feelings were more selfish with delusions of knowing better and actually caring about people until they disagreed with him, except Mai, who could disagree with him and he'd just wave it off as her being momentarily irrational. Only now that Mai and Kouta are dead has it all crashed down in an avalanche of realization and it's completely broken him. In that way you could say Kouta taking the hit did accomplish something.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I think when he first put on the belt his thoughts were something like "I don't care if I can't be with her, I'm going to protect her anyway." I could be wrong, I don't have the episode anymore to check. It did obviously get twisted into "I'm going to protect her so she'll notice me and then fall for me" along the way though. Also I don't know that Kouta ever really knew his true motivations other than him saying a couple of times that he was going to protect Mai, so even if it was for selfish reasons at that point, Kouta is only going to know what Micchy is actually saying.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

WickedHate posted:

Maybe they're saying a Kamen Rider doesn't have to be like that, and can save the fallen. It'd make sense with the younger audience too, "gently caress it, they're gone, kill'em" wouldn't be a great message for kids, which Kamen Rider leans a lot more to these days.

This has literally been the moral our hero has been trying to push throughout the entire show. It's been hitting people in the face in the bluntest way possible and I don't understand why people still don't get it.

Kouta from the beginning has wanted to save everyone he could. He doesn't believe people can become beyond redemption even though every character, except Mai, tells him he's wrong. Takatora did it, Kaito's done it, the Overlords did it but Kouta doesn't listen, because he fights for an better tomorrow. A mentor figure sits him down and literally says "Hey, if you don't like the rules of the world that require you to kill or sacrifice others, then smash them". Sagara wasn't just talking about Takatora's Project arc, he was talking about all the interactions Kouta has had in the entire show.

Kouta's one of the better protagonists Kamen Rider's had. He's been a consistently characterized person with ideals he fights for that he's had to re-assess and justify. Dude's actually pretty great, up there with Shinji Kido and Shotaro.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think when he first put on the belt his thoughts were something like "I don't care if I can't be with her, I'm going to protect her anyway." I could be wrong, I don't have the episode anymore to check. It did obviously get twisted into "I'm going to protect her so she'll notice me and then fall for me" along the way though. Also I don't know that Kouta ever really knew his true motivations other than him saying a couple of times that he was going to protect Mai, so even if it was for selfish reasons at that point, Kouta is only going to know what Micchy is actually saying.

Oh, I'm still not defending Kouta's actions, but narritively, it wasn't completely pointless. As a realistic, logical, consistent world, in universe just taking the hit and not destroying/taking off the belt was silly.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This has literally been the moral our hero has been trying to push throughout the entire show. It's been hitting people in the face in the bluntest way possible and I don't understand why people still don't get it.

Kouta from the beginning has wanted to save everyone he could. He doesn't believe people can become beyond redemption even though every character, except Mai, tells him he's wrong. Takatora did it, Kaito's done it, the Overlords did it but Kouta doesn't listen, because he fights for an better tomorrow. A mentor figure sits him down and literally says "Hey, if you don't like the rules of the world that require you to kill or sacrifice others, then smash them". Sagara wasn't just talking about Takatora's Project arc, he was talking about all the interactions Kouta has had in the entire show.

Kouta's one of the better protagonists Kamen Rider's had. He's been a consistently characterized person with ideals he fights for that he's had to re-assess and justify. Dude's actually pretty great, up there with Shinji Kido and Shotaro.

That still doesn't address the fact that he literally did nothing but allow himself to get killed for no good reason. Even if overpowering Michi in a fight would have risked killing him, he HAS other options. He has SO many more options than stand still and die.

Two right off the bat that doesn't even involve him moving?

Summon the Melon shield at the last moment, block weapon, grab lockseed.

Summon the vines, restrain the little shithead, grab lockseed.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

As a realistic, logical, consistent world, in universe just taking the hit and not destroying/taking off the belt was silly.

I agree with this completely. I'm fine with Kouta not killing Micchy and don't understand the complaints of those who think he should have (or rather, I understand them but think they're completely missing the point of Kouta's character, as ZenMasterBullshit said), I just think Kouta not dodging was really dumb and only done for a desperate attempt at a cliffhanger.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

That still doesn't address the fact that he literally did nothing but allow himself to get killed for no good reason. Even if overpowering Michi in a fight would have risked killing him, he HAS other options. He has SO many more options than stand still and die.

Two right off the bat that doesn't even involve him moving?

Summon the Melon shield at the last moment, block weapon, grab lockseed.

Summon the vines, restrain the little shithead, grab lockseed.

And then maybe Micchy could have used his new powers to break out! Summoned up Redue's staff and moved vines himself! Or Any number of other events! But I'm not gonna sit here and write fanfiction with you I'll just tell you why it happened.

Kouta was looking for a way to get close to micchy to save his life, both physically and emotionally. Just taking the lock wouldn't loving have dealt with Micchy's psychosis. He'd just be pissed at himself for doing nothing to save Mai, since he couldn't stop Kouta, the person he thought was going to hurt her. This sacrifice would let him finally break through to Micchy, letting him know that Kouta didn't blame him for any of it, that they were still friends. Kouta has shown himself willing to die to save his friends, and has been warned by multiple people that that would get him killed. This is called foreshadowing and consistent character writing. Like this was pretty telegraphed so I'm not sure why you'd be upset or disappointing when this is what the story was telling you was going to happen.

Now, that means the character isn't using 100% logical sense and yes he could have done literally anything elseh. The reason it happened like it did was to not only pay off earlier foreshadowing but also create drama, which is something literally every work of fiction does.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And since when is there One Specific Set of Character Traits that all Riders have to have if they're considered to be a Real or Good Rider? That just sounds like lazy writing to me.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Also we're arguing for logic and rationality when that's a pretty subjective thing to begin with (whose logic? whose rationality?) because Kouta's logic, and Kouta's rationality the only way to save Micchy was to reach him emotionally. And it worked, that's why he's this series' hero, because he can make that work. No other character could have saved Micchy. Kaito would have killed him, Kaito is willing to give up his humanity.

The question is 'why didn't Micchy die', but 'why doesn't Kouta kill'. He was evenly matched, and his only chance to save his friend was to do what he did.

jivjov posted:

And since when is there One Specific Set of Character Traits that all Riders have to have if they're considered to be a Real or Good Rider? That just sounds like lazy writing to me.

The ONLY thing in my mind that makes someone a 'real' Rider is someone who by all other standards would be just another villain of the week if not for a connection to humanity they want to protect at all costs.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 2, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Now, that means the character isn't using 100% logical sense and yes he could have done literally anything elseh. The reason it happened like it did was to not only pay off earlier foreshadowing but also create drama, which is something literally every work of fiction does.

It's lovely writing. The reason why I cited Kamen Rider Black? Similar set up, different result.

If Kouta honestly thought letting himself die to 'save' Michi was a good idea, he is the single biggest idiot and most selfish rear end in a top hat there ever was. What would letting Michi kill him do? He knows Duke is still out there, he knows the Forest hasn't stopped its advance, and he knows HE is the only one with the power to stop it all.

To throw away his life to try and redeem some one who frankly shouldn't be redeemed like this, is the zenith of being half hearted. You save your friend-AND yourself. That's what he should have learned earlier.

This is why it pisses me off- it flies in the face of every bit of character development Kouta has had, and rehad, and rehad.

I'm not sure why I'm surprised though. It's taken, what, four, five supernatural pep talks to solidify his focus and make him the man he is? AKA a man who decides to throw away his life in the dim hope that maybe his friend who is a sociopathic murderer will feel bad and change his ways. MAYBE THIS NEXT ONE WILL STICK GUYS! LIKE THE ONE LITERALLY THREE EPISODES AGO SHOULD HAVE! OR THE ONE HE GOT FROM GETTING THE ZENITH ARMS! OR MAYBE THE ONE FROM THE SUPER ORANGE ARMS! ONE OF THEM HAS TO STICK SOONER OR LATER RIGHT THIS ISN'T GETTING OLD AT ALL

It's cartoonishly childish. And don't tell me this is for kids- So was Kamen Rider Black. Aimed at the same loving age groups. So was Kuuga for that matter. Both had far better main heroes than Gaim, where Kouta mostly relies on everyone else to be interesting or to do the hard things FOR him.

The rest of the episode was fine, Kaito getting to where he is is fine. I wish he could have actually killed Duke, instead of Duke just wandering off of the building, but gently caress it. That's the closest we're going to get.

EDIT: First and foremost, my post was never about KILLING Michi or why Kouta doesn't kill people (except he does, the Overlords are just as human as Sid or Duke) but why he didn't do something to protect his own life so he can actually DO what he wants to do.

Second:

jivjov posted:

I concede, this isn't important to what I am trying to say. Nor is it correct. It is subjective what a Kamen Rider means-but to me, I have my own personal definition. And almost all of the Main Riders of the series meet that definition handily, even ones like Fourze who are more light hearted.

Kouta does not simply because of how often we've backtracked on his character. But whatever, I was wrong on this part and it only detracts from what I AM trying to say.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 2, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, this show isn't for you. I didn't have an issue with Kouta taking away Micchy's hatesink to make him realize how badly he hosed up. Only thing I didn't like in the episode was the complete lack of the best character, Ghostbro.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Senerio posted:

I'm beginning to think that maybe, just maybe, this show isn't for you. I didn't have an issue with Kouta taking away Micchy's hatesink to make him realize how badly he hosed up. Only thing I didn't like in the episode was the complete lack of the best character, Ghostbro.

Oh no, maybe this show that I enjoy and have watched every episode of and KEEP SAYING that I enjoyed the episode with the exception of this beat and the way Kouta's character is handled really isn't for me.

Hmm.

No for some reason I don't think that's it. :iiam:

I am a writer first and foremost.

I get, perhaps unreasonably, annoyed when I see a good show that could be better when it's a writing issue.

That's all this is.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Burkion posted:

Oh no, maybe this show that I enjoy and have watched every episode of and KEEP SAYING that I enjoyed the episode with the exception of this beat and the way Kouta's character is handled really isn't for me.

Hmm.

No for some reason I don't think that's it. :iiam:

I was mostly stating that you seem really really angry about Kouta making a logical--and foreshadowed--decision for his character. If he had killed Micchy or if he had destroyed his belt, that would not have done anything to quell Micchy's rage. Instead he took away his big hatesink, so that he'd either calm down, or when something bad happened, like it did in the episode, he wouldn't be able to blame Kouta.

The point was to prove Micchy wrong about everything he believed (that Kouta and his hope were poison, and that he was the best chance of saving Mai). I think this was the best way to do it.

Was it dumb? Yeah. Kouta was never the brains of his operation. He's an optimist first and foremost. If he had killed Micchy or broke his belt, that would have flew in the face of all his characterization much worse than what he did.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senerio posted:

Was it dumb? Yeah. Kouta was never the brains of his operation. He's an optimist first and foremost. If he had killed Micchy or broke his belt, that would have flew in the face of all his characterization much worse than what he did.

This is actually pretty convincing. Miccy thinking of himself as the "brains of the operation" is part of what drives him up a wall when Kouta defies him with his "dumb optimism", like when Miccy wanted to stop using the Drivers and Kouta refused to let people get attacked.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Senerio posted:

I was mostly stating that you seem really really angry about Kouta making a logical--and foreshadowed--decision for his character. If he had killed Micchy or if he had destroyed his belt, that would not have done anything to quell Micchy's rage. Instead he took away his big hatesink, so that he'd either calm down, or when something bad happened, like it did in the episode, he wouldn't be able to blame Kouta.

The point was to prove Micchy wrong about everything he believed (that Kouta and his hope were poison, and that he was the best chance of saving Mai). I think this was the best way to do it.

I likely came off way angrier than I am. Mostly I'm annoyed-and getting the replies I was wasn't helping that.

And honestly what I would have done? Since they seem determined to keep Michi alive for some reason and it's pretty apparent Kouta would never kill Michi, what I would have done instead is this.

Have Kouta seemingly talk Michi down. Maybe have him appeal to his younger self, his more innocent side. Have him invoke Takatora and how Takatora changed. Have him plead with Michi for his own life as the belt was killing him. Michi takes off the belt, gives it to Kouta, who is all happy and stuff- and either transforms into Ryugen, Zangetsu Shin, or just grabs Kouta's weapon and stabs him while Kouta is getting rid of the lock seed.

Play up both Kouta as the hope bringer, and Michi's psychosis.

Then Kouta tells him he still forgives him, that plays out the same, Michi stumbles back to Mai shaken that even THAT didn't break Kouta, utterly filled with self loathing at this last betrayal-and then he finds Mai with her heart literally torn out and it's all his fault.

But that would require better pacing and more emphasis on character so what do I know.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

But that would require better pacing and more emphasis on character so what do I know.
That is incredibly contrived.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Burkion posted:

Have Kouta seemingly talk Michi down. Maybe have him appeal to his younger self, his more innocent side. Have him invoke Takatora and how Takatora changed. Have him plead with Michi for his own life as the belt was killing him.....Play up both Kouta as the hope bringer, and Michi's psychosis.

Lmao that's what the last 20 episodes have been. Seriously man, they did that. Multiple times. It's kind of the entirety of the Micchy the Traitor arc.

Poison Mushroom posted:

That is incredibly contrived.

It's not a remake of Black, it's not good or even Kamen Rider! (The joke is Kamen Rider Black isn't very good especially in the pacing and character writing.)

Man I really wish I still had that screencap from the Grasshopper Yummy arc of OOOs. "THIS ISN'T JUSTICE!"

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 2, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
How about we all stop arguing about what Optimist Arms: The Path of Diplomacy, to the Stage could have done and just agree that Micchy is a massive dick?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pyroi posted:

How about we all stop arguing about what Optimist Arms: The Path of Diplomacy, to the Stage could have done and just agree that Micchy is a massive dick?

Micchy is a sadbrain who just needs help. Kouta did the right thing. Everyone has made grim mistakes, especially Kouta, and he knows better than anyone that it is not too late. :colbert:

Micchy is the same as Kouta, a man, not a monster.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

(The joke is Kamen Rider Black isn't very good especially in the pacing and character writing.)

If you don't think that a guy walking down the street hearing a kid say "They didn't have the blue one, all they had was brown ones" and immediately thinking "THIS MUST BE A PLOT BY GOLGOM" isn't good character writing then I don't know man.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How about we wait until the show is over before we make broad statements about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

If you don't think that a guy walking down the street hearing a kid say "They didn't have the blue one, all they had was brown ones" and immediately thinking "THIS MUST BE A PLOT BY GOLGOM" isn't good character writing then I don't know man.

I'm intensely curious. What was Golgom up to?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaim's not even a Kamen Rider yet, he's an Armored Rider. :colbert:

I may be remembering wrong, but didn't Urobuchi say in an early interview that it was important that Gaim wasn't called a Kamen Rider, and that by the end of the series he'd be earning the title?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexie posted:

Gaim's not even a Kamen Rider yet, he's an Armored Rider. :colbert:

I may be remembering wrong, but didn't Urobuchi say in an early interview that it was important that Gaim wasn't called a Kamen Rider, and that by the end of the series he'd be earning the title?

I think the issue is that Kouta did earn the name, but keeps having to re-earn it and re-learn the lessons they've already been through with the upgrades, Redue's hallucination, and the fight with Rosyuo.

If you want to be nitpicky though, Kouta did call himself Kamen Rider in their traditional early bird cameo crossover, but that doesn't count.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
i liked the part where baron got really strong and punched the bad guy
also maybe kouta betrayed his friends by giving up on himself, idk

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
we are not so different you and i - kouta to micchy

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I'm intensely curious. What was Golgom up to?

Beats me, I made that example up. :v: I didn't see all of Black, just the first ten episodes or so, but even I noticed how silly it was that the slightest thing going wrong caused Kotaro to immediately suspect Golgom. I didn't actually see it, but I vaguely recall a friend of mine saying there was an episode where a character got sick and instead of going "Oh maybe she has a cold, hope she gets better" Kotaro goes "GOLGOM MUST BE BEHIND THIS."

linall
Feb 1, 2007
I'm interested to see how the rebirth will be handled. If it's just a carte blanche, "badabing you're alive again" I'll be a tad disappointed. Possibly we'll get something like Kaito kills Micchy, Kouta kills Kaito and then the rebirth power expires, leaving everyone dead? Dark sure, but this is Urobuchi we're talking about here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Beats me, I made that example up. :v: I didn't see all of Black, just the first ten episodes or so, but even I noticed how silly it was that the slightest thing going wrong caused Kotaro to immediately suspect Golgom. I didn't actually see it, but I vaguely recall a friend of mine saying there was an episode where a character got sick and instead of going "Oh maybe she has a cold, hope she gets better" Kotaro goes "GOLGOM MUST BE BEHIND THIS."

It would have been amazing if Kotaro's insane paranoia concerning golgom was sometimes unfounded.

Have they ever said how the original overlords became overlords? It might have been something similar to Kaito's method.

• Locked thread