Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the best part is after that mission they just let you wear it all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Azran posted:

Also interested in IL-2 1946, though I wonder if lacking a rudder twist on my joystick will make the game kinda hard to control.

You should be ok, just map the rudder to keyboard. It's less precise but playable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Awesome! posted:

And if you don't wear it the entire rest of the game, you're playing it wrong :colbert:.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

ColoradoCleric posted:

Is there anything worth looking at on sale right now on steam or is it all shovel ware?

Enclave is a fun romp, quite good for a 2002-2003 game and is under a dollar.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Awesome! posted:

No, the best part is that should you choose to use a box, that, too, will wear the sombrero.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Awesome! posted:

Welp, time to get back to playing then!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LibbyM posted:

Is there a program like better ds3 that doesn't require an installation of ds3 to get the drivers? I want to get a new computer ready to use my ps3 controllers, and would rather do it without installing ds3 if possible.

You probably want Scarlet.Crush's DualShock 3 XInput Wrapper.

Note that, as written, your post indicts all DualShock 3 drivers, when it's mostly just MotionInJoy (and BetterDS3 for depending on it) that's compromised.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
For some reason, I found myself being forced to reinstall those drivers (Scarlet.Crush's ones) once or twice every month because it would randomly stop detecting my controller.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You probably want Scarlet.Crush's DualShock 3 XInput Wrapper.

Note that, as written, your post indicts all DualShock 3 drivers, when it's mostly just MotionInJoy (and BetterDS3 for depending on it) that's compromised.

Yah, I ment motioninjoy, ds3tool. Poorly phrased as you say. I'll check out Scarlett crush, thanks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KdLxnd2LxQ

Orv
May 4, 2011

Musluk posted:

Enclave is a fun romp, quite good for a 2002-2003 game and is under a dollar.

You filthy loving liar.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/
For some odd reason I don't think this will be any good. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the shovelware/port dev they have making it, or that Atari would rather give the RCT4 title to a mobile game (Which was trash) instead.
:iiam:

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

No, the best part is that should you choose to use a box, that, too, will wear the sombrero.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KdLxnd2LxQ

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Orv posted:

You filthy loving liar.

What? It isn't your kinda game? Too old? Or steam priced it differently? WHAT?!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Musluk posted:

What? It isn't your kinda game? Too old? Or steam priced it differently? WHAT?!

It is objectively a pile of poo poo. I'm fine with old, I'm not fine with poorly controlled, worse voice acted, shittily scripted crapfests. It's like Dark Messiah had a baby with Arx Fatalis but that baby has Downs, AIDS and a severe case of the rickets.

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 2, 2014

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Croccers posted:

http://www.rollercoastertycoon.com/
For some odd reason I don't think this will be any good. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the shovelware/port dev they have making it, or that Atari would rather give the RCT4 title to a mobile game (Which was trash) instead.
:iiam:
Well, I don't know what Chris Sawyer's doing (although he was always a bit weird - like Peter Molyneux without the "hype games like crazy" tendencies), and Frontier have moved onto to other things (namely Elite Dangerous), so it'll probably also be trash.

Anyway the first three RCT games were all solid in their own way; RCT3 was a little ropey on release but they fixed most of the quibbles with the expansions. (You'll probably have to use a text editor on the config file to make it play on a resolution like 1920x1080 but it stands up alright.)

Not sure about any of the other rollercoaster/theme park games that apparently coming out.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Leper Residue posted:

I haven't tried Civ 4 yet on Win 8, but one of the benefits of Steam is that your version will always be up to date. Really not sure how digital versions handle that.

Also, are you sure you can't redeem your Amazon copy on Steam? Could have sworn Civ 4 was or was at least moved to, Steamworks.

Edit: yeah, I bought Civ 4 on Amazon, and I was able to redeem the key on Steam.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Orv posted:

It is objectively a pile of poo poo. I'm fine with old, I'm not fine with poorly controlled, worse voice acted, shittily scripted crapfests. It's like Dark Messiah had a baby with Arx Fatalis but that baby has Downs, AIDS and a severe case of the rickets.

Okay. I played it when it came out, replayed it a few years ago and I don't remember it being poorly controlled or shittily scripted; but of course voice acting was poo poo.

Still though, for under a dollar, is it as bad as bad rats or a baby Arx Fatalis/Dark Messiah with downs and AIDS, or just not that good?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Ha, that's funny, I heard very similar things recently about Walking Dead. Sounds a little silly to me.

Zeno Clash 2. Hmm. I'm not done with it but I feel like the faux-"open world" system actually made it worse in comparison to the prequel. The map system they have it laughable, there's no real quest system so you better remember where that one guy you randomly ran into is, and revisiting levels is annoying and they are just so empty. Combat-wise I seem to be falling back on special weapons more instead of bothering reading enemies (combat, particularly dealing with the targeting system seems a little finicky at times, too, worse than the first one), and I really dislike the new graphic engine because that UE3 white pop-in thing is distracting especially because interactive items look somewhat similar. Story seems pretty interesting at least.

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's a mole town. Full Bore is great.
I liked the demo of it, except that for such a simple game it sure ran really badly for some reason. Do you know if they optimized it? Anyone with a low-end computer play it fine?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Has anyone given Dex a try? I really want it to be good, a 2d sidescrolling cyberpunk action RPG... thing is something I never knew I wanted before now.

Mechanics are pretty solid and its more of an adventure game than rpg. The early access has all plot stuff removed to avoid spoilers. You just get q couple objectives with no context.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Musluk posted:

Okay. I played it when it came out, replayed it a few years ago and I don't remember it being poorly controlled or shittily scripted; but of course voice acting was poo poo.

Still though, for under a dollar, is it as bad as bad rats or a baby Arx Fatalis/Dark Messiah with downs and AIDS, or just not that good?

I mean, I didn't play it when it came out, but for the money, you could get Dark Messiah, or Arx Fatalis, or quite a few other RPGs of that variety that are good, rather than just not enjoyable.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
http://store.steampowered.com/app/306550/

This game looks pretty interesting and looks like it could be fun. Anyone know anything about it? I've never heard of it until now.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/306550/

This game looks pretty interesting and looks like it could be fun. Anyone know anything about it? I've never heard of it until now.

I tried out the demo before and it's fun. Like Magicka mixed with Binding of Issac. Things get fast-paced very quickly.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

saucerman posted:

How dare they make up facts in this videogame?

Generally, when non-retarded people do alternate history, history is the same up until a point of divergence, which you explain in your setup and stuff happens from there. You can't just have "Oh yeah Hitler dies in 1942 so Germany never invades Russia" without explaining why they didn't invade them in 1941, or how they magically invade the US. Now, you could say perhaps they just wanted to have wacky funtimes and not care about facts, but their entire "About the game" section is nothing but their alt-history setup, which implies they are taking it seriously but no one on the team had anything but the vaguest idea about what happened in WWII.

Sivek posted:

black guy with half an ear is the only guy I can stand in my party through 4 episodes and I forget he exists half the time

You should play Ep5, you'll like it!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Darkrenown posted:

Generally, when non-retarded people do alternate history, history is the same up until a point of divergence, which you explain in your setup and stuff happens from there. You can't just have "Oh yeah Hitler dies in 1942 so Germany never invades Russia" without explaining why they didn't invade them in 1941, or how they magically invade the US. Now, you could say perhaps they just wanted to have wacky funtimes and not care about facts, but their entire "About the game" section is nothing but their alt-history setup, which implies they are taking it seriously but no one on the team had anything but the vaguest idea about what happened in WWII.
Red Alert is objectively the best alternate history game, for many reasons. "Hitler... is out of the vay.

"Time vill tell... sooner or later, time vill tell..."

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 2, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This doesn't seem to have been posted in the last couple of pages, so it's worth a mention: Left 4 Dead 2 has finally been given an uncensored R18+ classification in Australia. This is noteworthy because L4D2 was one of the first big AAA games to really fire up the debate for revamped game classification in Australia. Apparently Valve are "making plans to deliver that version to those who have already purchased the game" that didn't already get the US version through gifting or VPN chicanery.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

LibbyM posted:

Is there a program like better ds3 that doesn't require an installation of ds3 to get the drivers? I want to get a new computer ready to use my ps3 controllers, and would rather do it without installing ds3 if possible.

What's wrong with Better DS3? Isn't it basically the non-lovely alternative to MotionInJoy?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BetterDS3 still requires MotionInJoy to exist on your system.

I don't know about you, but that's not a gamble I feel like making.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The Kins posted:

This doesn't seem to have been posted in the last couple of pages, so it's worth a mention: Left 4 Dead 2 has finally been given an uncensored R18+ classification in Australia. This is noteworthy because L4D2 was one of the first big AAA games to really fire up the debate for revamped game classification in Australia. Apparently Valve are "making plans to deliver that version to those who have already purchased the game" that didn't already get the US version through gifting or VPN chicanery.

Can't wait to finally play it, the first one was fantastic coop!

I don't own it still through some sort of protest/endless backlog.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Just finished The Walking Dead Season 2 and it went from being trashy enjoyable to loving stupid over the last two episodes or so. This was one of those sequels that just lacked any kind of subtleties and went more, more, more as the theme. If you told me zero percent of the people that worked on the original were involved with this, I would completely believe you.

Also, leftover Humble Bundle links

Containment: The Zombie Puzzler
Legend of Grimrock
PixelJunk Eden
Super House of Dead Ninjas

Sivek fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 2, 2014

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012

Sivek posted:

Just finished The Walking Dead Season 2 and it went from being trashy enjoyable to loving stupid over the last two episodes or so. This was one of those sequels that just lacked any kind of subtleties and went more, more, more as the theme. If you told me zero percent of the people that worked on the original were involved with this, I would completely believe you.

Also, leftover Humble Bundle links

Containment: The Zombie Puzzler
Legend of Grimrock
PixelJunk Eden
Super House of Dead Ninjas

Grabbed Legend of Grimrock. Thanks!

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Thanks, I took this. Looks like a fun little coffee-break game, like Splice.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sivek posted:

Yeah, I'm only two episodes in but I'm feeling this. It seems to be a lot less concerned with building likeable characters (seriously I give zero shits about any of the new people) and is just focusing on DRAMA above all else. I wouldn't even bother finishing but I promised a friend I would so she'd have someone to discuss it with.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LibbyM posted:

Yeah, use this: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, I'm only two episodes in but I'm feeling this. It seems to be a lot less concerned with building likeable characters (seriously I give zero shits about any of the new people) and is just focusing on DRAMA above all else. I wouldn't even bother finishing but I promised a friend I would so she'd have someone to discuss it with.

It's got an action game plot now. Enjoy it for what it has become, and enjoy the first season for being that much better.

It still tells a better story than most other games with zombies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VodeAndreas posted:

Can't wait to finally play it, the first one was fantastic coop!

I don't own it still through some sort of protest/endless backlog.

I'm pretty sure they've rolled the entire first game into L4D2 by this point. I think you can even combine any L4D1 survivors with any L4D2 survivors on either games' maps and they all have various bits of dialogue for all the different combinations? I might be making that part up but at the very least there's no point in playing the original any more unless you really liked being able to camp in corners to fend off hordes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How does Metal Gear Revengeance control with a Keyboard and Mouse? Are there any weird mouse acceleration/smoothing problems you can't turn off?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Seriously debating if I should get Dead Rising 3 since it's current-gen and my computer's not all that great. My specs roughly match the minimum, at least, except my Nvidia card's an "x50 GTX" instead of an "x70 GTX" or better.

I can just run Tomb Raider on medium or lower, can't run The Witcher 2 for poo poo (but then that game's just ridiculously full of unnecessary filters and ultra-high-res textures). Max Payne 3 is the most recent game I can run at a decent 50+ FPS on high settings. I guess it all depends on how optimized Dead Rising 3 is, and I'm betting "not very" considering how Dead Rising 2 was on release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Don't even try MG:R with a keyboard.

• Locked thread