Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm using the PS3 drivers that were recommended in this thread and I seem to be having a pretty major problem. After about two minutes of play, my controller seems to lock in position (if I'm holding a direction down, I'll continue running in that direction until I quit the game, if my shield is up, it'll stay up until I quit, etc.) and become completely unresponsive. If I quit out of DkS2 and relaunch the driver program, it'll start working again for about two minutes until the same thing happens again. Is this a common problem with this program or is it my controller that's hosed? I've been having some problems with this controller for a while (the USB connection to the controller itself is extremely delicate and easily becomes dislodged), so I'm fully prepared to accept that, yeah, my controller's hosed and I just have to go out and buy a new one. Before I do, though, I'd just like to confirm that it is the controller and not a common, easily fixable issue with the drivers/program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does the sorcery clutch ring translate to a flat additional 30 damage to spells? Does it affect hexes too?

CruzerZERO posted:

Does Flynn's Ring and Ring of Blades work on Bows and Crossbows? I noticed on my RoB/Flynn build I pulled out a shortbow with no upgrades to hit something from ranged and I was doing a solid 250-300. Upgrading it later to +10 I was hitting for at least 350-400 with fire arrows.

If it's not the rings, then did they buff the scaling on bows or increase the damage on fire arrows at some point? I never remembered hitting that much before. Like at the least half of that damage if I remember from my first bow guy build I made.

Looking this up online is giving me conflicted reports on this. :shrug:

The wikis I look at say Flynn's Ring at least doesn't affect bows.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I had something similar happen at the start of two of my games, both times the shield got stuck blocking after leaving the witch hut. I just restarted the game both times and that fixed it. Try plugging the control into a different USB port?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My computer is kind of old and that sort of thing happens to me as well, though not really getting stuck, more like every once in a while the controller will stop responding and I'll do the thing I'm doing for a second or two. I don't know too much about computers but I think it has something to do with not enough power in the computer? Or whatever

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

THE loving MOON posted:

I had something similar happen at the start of two of my games, both times the shield got stuck blocking after leaving the witch hut. I just restarted the game both times and that fixed it. Try plugging the control into a different USB port?

That's actually a bizarre "feature" of the PC port. If you happen to have the letter "m" in your character's name, the game will turn on auto-block, which is bound to m. Why that toggle even exists or is bound to that particular letter is a mystery to me.

So you just have to hit m again and it'll turn off.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

THE loving MOON posted:

There's a keyboard bind for 'lock guard' which does that. Same for 'lock sprint'. No idea why these were included, but when it's on you'll see an icon for it under your HP/stamina bar. Would advise unbinding these.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bogart posted:

What build is that? Pyromancy Hand, Southern Attunementy Ring +2, and a two-handed Mace?

I was using Work Hook + Dexterity ring (now Crown of the Sunken King and Dexterity Ring) so I could use a Rapier, along with Old Leo Ring and Flynn's Ring for more damage boost.

CruzerZERO posted:

Does Flynn's Ring and Ring of Blades work on Bows and Crossbows?

Those add to the scaling bonuses of the weapon so you can check yourself. And yes they do add to everything with pre-existing physical damage.

Begemot posted:

That's actually a bizarre "feature" of the PC port. If you happen to have the letter "m" in your character's name, the game will turn on auto-block, which is bound to m. Why that toggle even exists or is bound to that particular letter is a mystery to me.

So you just have to hit m again and it'll turn off.

For w/e reason, you can still control your character with the keyboard while at the enter your name prompt. And I don't understand pretty much all of the toggles; why the gently caress would I want to be running all the time?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Why in the gently caress would you want to lock guard? :psyduck: Or SPRINT for that matter :psyboom:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE loving MOON posted:

Why in the gently caress would you want to lock guard? :psyduck: Or SPRINT for that matter :psyboom:

I can sort of see having a guard lock for a few instances but sprint lock sounds like a good way to never make any progress.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I dunno, I find it kind of hard sometimes to do all the various things I need to do while running from place to place in stressful situations. Like if I'm running to dodge some guy after using a flask and then as I'm running I'd really like to switch to a different weapon or whatever I basically have to do some crazy finger acrobatics on my controller to hold the dash button and guide my movement and switch weapons all at the same time. Though I mean, that's with a controller and not KB+M.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Auto-running and blocking are still really bad tho. The former will cause you to constantly run out of stamina, while the latter will prevent you from regaining stamina, unless you constantly toggle them at which point you might as well just use the actual buttons.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Time_pants posted:

I'm using the PS3 drivers that were recommended in this thread and I seem to be having a pretty major problem. After about two minutes of play, my controller seems to lock in position (if I'm holding a direction down, I'll continue running in that direction until I quit the game, if my shield is up, it'll stay up until I quit, etc.) and become completely unresponsive. If I quit out of DkS2 and relaunch the driver program, it'll start working again for about two minutes until the same thing happens again. Is this a common problem with this program or is it my controller that's hosed? I've been having some problems with this controller for a while (the USB connection to the controller itself is extremely delicate and easily becomes dislodged), so I'm fully prepared to accept that, yeah, my controller's hosed and I just have to go out and buy a new one. Before I do, though, I'd just like to confirm that it is the controller and not a common, easily fixable issue with the drivers/program.

Before you go out and get a new controller, try x360ce if you haven't yet. I have absolutely no idea how any of this fancy computer poo poo works, but I downloaded that, started it up once, and my computer has since been able to use my PS4 controller no problem.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I dunno, I find it kind of hard sometimes to do all the various things I need to do while running from place to place in stressful situations. Like if I'm running to dodge some guy after using a flask and then as I'm running I'd really like to switch to a different weapon or whatever I basically have to do some crazy finger acrobatics on my controller to hold the dash button and guide my movement and switch weapons all at the same time. Though I mean, that's with a controller and not KB+M.

That would be useful. Finger acrobatics indeed, my hand becomes a withered claw on some fights.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Genocyber posted:

Auto-running and blocking are still really bad tho. The former will cause you to constantly run out of stamina, while the latter will prevent you from regaining stamina, unless you constantly toggle them at which point you might as well just use the actual buttons.

Yeah but there's moments where I'd like to be able to toggle them without holding the button down. It's not really that bad though, makes me feel like I'm a boss when I'm doin all this crazy stuff on my controller. It's not like I'd leave it on constantly, I'd turn it on in spurts, just like how I press the button in spurts.

Actually as I think about it, it might cause just as much complication as there is now.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 2, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How many new weapons and armor (not exactly) are there in each DLC? Fashion souls is always number one. Always

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

How many new weapons and armor (not exactly) are there in each DLC? Fashion souls is always number one. Always

A bunch. Seriously, some of the coolest poo poo is in them.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bob NewSCART posted:

The first DLC had slightly fewer armor sets and weapons than the second DLC I think, so say 8-12 weapons/shields, 2-3 armor sets, 4 miscellaneous armor pieces, 3-9 rings, 3-4 spells per DLC.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Going back a little to the Pursuer chat, I found that the best way to set him up for a ballista strike is when you enter through the fog door, immediately run left and stand in front of a half broken barrel on the ground, he will then always start with his dash at you attack.

Once he gets close parry him and immediately run around him to the ballista on the left, I have always had time to get 2 shots on him to kill him without ever having to swing a sword at him.

The spot with the barrel has without fail lined him up perfectly every time for me.

However when you fight him in the smelter demon room it is an absolute motherfucker because he has about a gazillion health it seems. I watched my girlfriend give it about a dozen times at least before she got the patterns and slowly whittled him down.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

I still can't do the double Persuer fight without cheesing with with the curse trick. They hit too drat hard for me to dodge everything and then attack back.

In other news FK is kicking my rear end :( I beat him fine with my mage, but now once he buffs he practically one shots me.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

turtlecrunch posted:

The first DLC had slightly fewer armor sets and weapons than the second DLC I think, so say 8-12 weapons/shields, 2-3 armor sets, 4 miscellaneous armor pieces, 3-9 rings, 3-4 spells per DLC.

The first DLC had the Drakeblood Armor, Sanctum Knight armor, and some miscellany pieces (sanctum gauntlets, flower skirt and that sorceress tiara,) but that's it. The second has Raime's armor, the Alonne set, Fume Sorceress set, and a bunch of miscellany pieces as well.

5 armor sets total so far, and at least 6 other pieces of armor not attached to a set.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Kifisonfire posted:

I still can't do the double Persuer fight without cheesing with with the curse trick. They hit too drat hard for me to dodge everything and then attack back.

I just started a NG+ and I am not even going to attempt that fight, one is hard enough as it is, but having to fight 2 of those fuckers just seems almost mean spirited.

What is the lore purpose of the pursuer? Everything I have read just says "a giant knight that relentlessly pursues you"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I asked about it earlier but it got caught in controller chat, but is the sorcery clutch ring particularly worth using? An extra 30 damage on spells (and only sorceries) doesn't seem worth a ring slot.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
How do you setup a 360 controller to play this game? I had my PS3 controller working fine with DS3 Tool MotionJoy but it's not even recognizing the 360 controller.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Porkchop Express posted:

I just started a NG+ and I am not even going to attempt that fight, one is hard enough as it is, but having to fight 2 of those fuckers just seems almost mean spirited.

What is the lore purpose of the pursuer? Everything I have read just says "a giant knight that relentlessly pursues you"

Prior to the second DLC coming out a common theory was that he was Raime, hunting down undead to atone for his sins. It could still work, if you assume the DLCs are akin to memories/are time travel. I didn't think that before but then I remember Vendrick basically tells you to do the same poo poo that he did, so when you do the DLC you're just reliving his experiences I guess.

RBA Starblade posted:

I asked about it earlier but it got caught in controller chat, but is the sorcery clutch ring particularly worth using? An extra 30 damage on spells (and only sorceries) doesn't seem worth a ring slot.

30 extra AR is pretty decent. Mainly worth using with something like MLGS or Watcher's Greatsword, if you got a free ring slot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

30 extra AR is pretty decent. Mainly worth using with something like MLGS or Watcher's Greatsword, if you got a free ring slot.

I'll give it a shot on Moonlight later then, was mostly thinking about its use for spells.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Porkchop Express posted:

I assumed they were just massive knights like the ruin sentinels. The fact that you fight more than one makes me think it isn't a particular person, rather knights who hunt down bearers of the curse.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Kifisonfire posted:

I assumed they were just massive knights like the ruin sentinels. The fact that you fight more than one makes me think it isn't a particular person, rather knights who hunt down bearers of the curse.

Seems most likely, I just thought it weird that there is no backstory to them. All the other bosses were placed in certain places to accomplish a certain task it seems, and the pursuer just seems to be "wail on any poor motherfucker that comes through the door. Also, you have a raven."

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

So I solved the controller problem by using my DS4 with DS4windows. It's working a bit better than my old controller, but it might just be that the old controller was old. Since this is working now I am not going to bother hassling with installing .dll's to get the mouse and keyboard working properly.

I started a new game, went with knight again, and I cleared up to Pursuer in no time. Seems I must have been playing on some kind of hard mode, because I beat pursuer by just using the ballista trick. Yesterday the ballista did 20% of his health or something. My mace was hitting him for at least twice as much damage as yesterday as well. I can only guess the reason is because I prayed at the shrine in the city, but I swear when I was asked if I wanted to make it harder I picked no. vOv

So far I only had my mace almost break once, so durability issues seem to be gone. Switching to a sword kept me nice until the next bonfire.

Edit: Any tips for what to spend souls on? I have maxed my mace as far as it can go without titan slabs, adaptability is at 20. I spent a nice sum of money on elite soldier armor, but I have not reinforced it.

Acidian fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 2, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Porkchop Express posted:

Seems most likely, I just thought it weird that there is no backstory to them. All the other bosses were placed in certain places to accomplish a certain task it seems, and the pursuer just seems to be "wail on any poor motherfucker that comes through the door. Also, you have a raven."

On top of being an Armored Core reference in its intro scene I think the idea is they're there to kill anyone who might try to get to Vendrick and/or Nashandra.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Genocyber posted:

Those add to the scaling bonuses of the weapon so you can check yourself. And yes they do add to everything with pre-existing physical damage.

I thought as much. It looked like it was showing the numbers correctly when I would take them off. Thanks!

Guess it's time for another bow only run for me. :v:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So you botched and complained about terrible durability and how hard the game was when you specifically prayed at a Shrine that asks you no less than four loving times if you're REALLY sure you want the game to be harder?
Every day I find someone who pushes the limits of what it means to be completely idiotic.

Remember to upgrade your weapons and bring a ranged weapon for the shrine of Amana.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, I'm just about done with Crown of the Old Iron King. It was pretty fun and I liked the level design a lot for the most part. My only problems are that some of the areas in the lower levels are just corridor runs, especially the Iron Passage, and that they reused Smelter Demon as a boss for some loving reason. That's lazy as poo poo, come on.

Edit: Oh, does the Fume Knight's helmet remind anyone of Artorias's helmet? It's got that same sort of warped visor and bird-like aesthetic.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Anyone willing to part with a Fume Sorcerer Mask? I've hunted them to extinction and do not feel confident asceticing the area I was farming them in. Character has ~800k SM, and is on NG.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hey man that's very mean and negative of you to criticize his shrine decision and I'm going to write a loving thesis paper on tumblr about the inherent sexism and racial connotations carefully hidden in your post.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Streaming my first play through the Iron Crown DLC.

http://www.hitbox.tv/angrymog

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just started the Sunken King DLC and hooooly crap this is like what I've always dreamed a DnD dungeon crawl to be like. I start tip toeing my way along the side of a pit of spikes because I think "nothing bad will happen here right, the spikes on the floor are a challenge enough" cause I'm a metagaming bastard. Then a loving ghosty motherfucker appears out of nowhere and starts chasing me down. I take a few shots with my bow and the feeling of my stomach dropping as I saw it do zippola damage was amazing. I fuckin ran my rear end out of the room fast as I could. A shade I had summoned was sort of following me but when he saw me getting chased by the ghost we both jumped down into this hole full of those equipment damaging bugs we'd avoided earlier, because holy crap that is a way better option. Then it was just total mayhem as we tried to get the hell out of there as fast as we could. Poor guy died on the way out, I didn't even see it happen, I think the ghost got him. I finally find my way out of the bug room and end up in a hall and thank god the ghost wasn't following me anymore. Then I just sit back in my chair and laugh because jesus christ that was the most fun I've had in a long time.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I dunno why people had trouble with Ruin Sentinels. You own the first one on the ledge, smack the second one a couple times when it jumps up, drop down when the third one comes to you, and then keep both of them in your sights at all times and do hit and run tactics. In all of my playthroughs, I have never died to them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Acidian posted:

I started a new game, went with knight again, and I cleared up to Pursuer in no time. Seems I must have been playing on some kind of hard mode, because I beat pursuer by just using the ballista trick. Yesterday the ballista did 20% of his health or something.

The ballista fires three bolts, so the total damage you do will depend on how many actually hit him.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The first DLC had the Drakeblood Armor, Sanctum Knight armor, and some miscellany pieces (sanctum gauntlets, flower skirt and that sorceress tiara,) but that's it. The second has Raime's armor, the Alonne set, Fume Sorceress set, and a bunch of miscellany pieces as well.

5 armor sets total so far, and at least 6 other pieces of armor not attached to a set.

Flower top in Ivory King or the DLC is a failure. :colbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

SunAndSpring posted:

I dunno why people had trouble with Ruin Sentinels. You own the first one on the ledge, smack the second one a couple times when it jumps up, drop down when the third one comes to you, and then keep both of them in your sights at all times and do hit and run tactics. In all of my playthroughs, I have never died to them.
:smugdog:

Reinforcing armor is kind of waste of resources until you have everything else taken care of (and even then I'd say it's fairly useless). Add some attunement to adaptability so the resulting agility is 100 and you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

^^^^ Isn't attunement a mage stat which increases casting speed and such?

DelphiAegis posted:

So you botched and complained about terrible durability and how hard the game was when you specifically prayed at a Shrine that asks you no less than four loving times if you're REALLY sure you want the game to be harder?
Every day I find someone who pushes the limits of what it means to be completely idiotic.

Remember to upgrade your weapons and bring a ranged weapon for the shrine of Amana.

No, if it requires a 4 part confirmation then no, that is not what happened. Because I clicked the shrine, clicked on one of the options, it asked me if I wanted to do the thing, I said no, and that was it. I could have accidentally clicked the wrong button once, but not 4 times. Thanks for clearing that up. If the ballista shoots 3 arrows and only 1 hit, then that must be the answer. Then I still have no clue why the durability was so messed up. :iiam:

Acidian fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 2, 2014