Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ribsauce posted:

@SI_PeterKing
Manziel's reaction shows a guy who can be messed with, a rabbit-eared player. Not a good trait for a starting NFL quarterback.

Awww poor Peter must have gotten blown off by a rookie QB at training camp again.

PS I have no idea what rabbit eared means in this context.
Yeah I think it means he can hear Elmer Fudd coming and get out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ribsauce posted:

@SI_PeterKing
Manziel's reaction shows a guy who can be messed with, a rabbit-eared player. Not a good trait for a starting NFL quarterback.

Awww poor Peter must have gotten blown off by a rookie QB at training camp again.

It means he's gonna run from the Browns chain gang and get shot in the neck in a church by Jimmy Haslam.

On the plus side, this means at some point Manziel's gonna eat fifty eggs.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ribsauce posted:

@SI_PeterKing

It means someone who gets ticked off when someone makes the bunny-ears behind their head. This is the level on which PK operates.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Michael Tanier just announced he's leaving the shambling corpse of Sportsonearth. He's said he has a deal worked out for a new site already, but can't reveal it just yet.

Also, Jon Bois's fantastic Breaking Madden series is returning next week, so yeah, go read the Tim Tebow chronicles thread if you haven't yet: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658979

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@OmarKelly: Confession: I don't mind being the villain. But what my critics have learned is I'm right A LOT more often than I'm wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

Also, Jon Bois's fantastic Breaking Madden series is returning next week,

holy poo poo yes

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: Confession: I don't mind being the villain. But what my critics have learned is I'm right A LOT more often than I'm wrong.

Omar Kelly blocked me on twitter for calling him a smug gently caress. That was a good day.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He's blocked every account of mine by day 2. In some cases he actually blocked on before I said anything - someone retweeted it at him lol

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kalli posted:

Michael Tanier just announced he's leaving the shambling corpse of Sportsonearth. He's said he has a deal worked out for a new site already, but can't reveal it just yet.

Also, Jon Bois's fantastic Breaking Madden series is returning next week, so yeah, go read the Tim Tebow chronicles thread if you haven't yet: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658979

These are both good news. I still don't understand why they fired everyone but Tainer and Posnanski. Might as well have let everyone go since you can't run a site with 2 writers.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I never read any other writer's articles there and thought Sportsonearth was Mike Tanier's site :blush:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I never read any other writer's articles there and thought Sportsonearth was Mike Tanier's site :blush:

Well now you're personally responsible for driving one of the best NFL writers to the shithole that is Bleacher Report. How does that feel?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo yes

Teaser: http://youtu.be/re5wSoiGdIE?list=UUUNoEsSfUcyNlaJbieYkMvg

Oh god that O-line

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am pumped for more breaking madden but I wish he still did gifs of the week

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Kalli posted:

Also, Jon Bois's fantastic Breaking Madden series is returning next week,

Do we get next-gen madden breakage?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NC-17 posted:

Well now you're personally responsible for driving one of the best NFL writers to the shithole that is Bleacher Report. How does that feel?

Wait, Tainer is going to Bleacher Report?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Do we get next-gen madden breakage?

Considering I'm hearing many hilarious bugs are back, I would hope so.

axeil posted:

Wait, Tainer is going to Bleacher Report?

Yup, clickbait has won: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2184037-nfl-preview-2014-nfc-is-high-drama-afc-needs-a-reboot

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahaha this is gonna rule

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

God drat it.

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Kalli posted:

Considering I'm hearing many hilarious bugs are back, I would hope so.

Yup, clickbait has won: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2184037-nfl-preview-2014-nfc-is-high-drama-afc-needs-a-reboot

That is such a loving horrible article jesus christ

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am always amused by NFC vs AFC talk as if there is any meaningful difference between the conferences beyond what teams are in them. It's like not like the NBA where conference teams play each other considerably more or baseball where they have different rules. It's just 16 randomly assigned teams with no real significance beyond playoff spot.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's like not like the NBA where conference teams play each other considerably more

Each team plays twelve in-conference games and four cross-conference games per season, that seems considerably more often to me v:shobon:v And additionally you wind up facing the same opponent within other in-conference divisions more frequently given that there's a fair amount of consistency in divisional standings from year to year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

axeil posted:

These are both good news. I still don't understand why they fired everyone but Tainer and Posnanski. Might as well have let everyone go since you can't run a site with 2 writers.

Posnanski was the guy they were originally going to build the site around but it's been a really long time since he worked for them. He left the site for NBC after like two months or something like that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's just dumb to pretend that only the Patriots and Broncos will end up in the Superbowl because they're early favorites. Both those team's quarterbacks have missed entire seasons because of injuries. Father time is due to catch up with either of them. Divisions turn over every year. He throws bones at Joe Flacco and the Ravens are the ones who won the last AFC Superbowl.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Each team plays twelve in-conference games and four cross-conference games per season, that seems considerably more often to me v:shobon:v And additionally you wind up facing the same opponent within other in-conference divisions more frequently given that there's a fair amount of consistency in divisional standings from year to year

Right but six of those twelve games are division games, and the other six are more or less randomly assigned within the conference based on year/ranking.

Compare that to the NBA where you play four games against each team in your division, four games each against most of the conference, three games each against the rest of the conference, and then just two games each against the other conference.

Don't get me wrong though, divisions absolutely matter in the NFL, I just don't think Conferences really do.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

That is such a loving horrible article jesus christ

Yeah, really. I like Tanier but this felt like he was trying too hard.

Jim Harbaugh
Aug 29, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Febreeze posted:

Yeah, really. I like Tanier but this felt like he was trying too hard.

I agree, but how would you best communicate that to the writer? We're so used to fellating him over his, usually quite excellent, metaphors, what would be the best way of communicating that he has overused his gimmick?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

NC-17 posted:

It's just dumb to pretend that only the Patriots and Broncos will end up in the Superbowl because they're early favorites. Both those team's quarterbacks have missed entire seasons because of injuries. Father time is due to catch up with either of them. Divisions turn over every year. He throws bones at Joe Flacco and the Ravens are the ones who won the last AFC Superbowl.

And the last AFC superbowl win was against the 49ers when they were even better than they are right now, and it was literally only two seasons ago

Jim Harbaugh
Aug 29, 2014

by Ion Helmet

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

And the last AFC superbowl win was against the 49ers when they were even better than they are right now, and it was literally only two seasons ago

This isn't a dagger in the heart of NFC>AFC, 9 times out of 10 we win that game and the tenth time is when the refs look the other way.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Jim Harbaugh posted:

This isn't a dagger in the heart of NFC>AFC, 9 times out of 10 we win that game and the tenth time is when the refs look the other way.

Yes lovely gimmick poster Jim Harbaugh the refs are to blame for the 49ers loss.

Jim Harbaugh
Aug 29, 2014

by Ion Helmet

TubeStank posted:

Yes lovely gimmick poster Jim Harbaugh the refs are to blame for the 49ers loss.

Who do you blame for the Fail Mary debacle?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I miss the days when lovely gimmick posters only poo poo up GDT's and N/V threads.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I was kinda hoping the buy-in just to join would prevent a lot of that.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I am starting to believe that it might be an actual person that believes those things because that comparison is too stupid for a gimmick account.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So do we post Breaking Madden in here, or

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/9/3/6074263/breaking-madden-jadeveon-clowney

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Post it everywhere, for it is beauty.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

Jim Harbaugh posted:

Who do you blame for the Fail Mary debacle?

Obama.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

:thurman:

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
As deadspin put it, King just took a match to whatever was left of his reputation as a journalist: http://deadspin.com/has-peter-king-read-his-own-reporting-on-the-ray-rice-f-1631901579

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
First comment, which one of you is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
HAHAHAHAHA

• Locked thread