Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

sarmhan posted:

Yea that guy is wrong and doesn't understand how priority works/was trying to gently caress you over.
I think some people think that enters the battle field gives them priority, because if it triggered an etb effect it would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Yea that guy is wrong and doesn't understand how priority works/was trying to gently caress you over.

When it comes to priority, nearly always its the former. Hell, most magic players, even at FNM level events don't understand the stack. Priority is another strange thing that NEVER comes up in low or mid level play, but is incredibly important in high level play. (If you care enough about magic to argue about it in a forum, generally speaking your playing at a pretty high level)

Think of it like L-cancelling in the Super Smash Brothers series. Most people here probably have no idea what it is, but you better have that poo poo down if you want to play competitively.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Stone Rain sees little play in Modern because everyone is running Molten Rain instead. :v:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

MTGO doesn't help with these confusions in that by default it passes priority for you whenever you cast a spell unless you hold shift.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think some people think that enters the battle field gives them priority, because if it triggered an etb effect it would.

This isn't even really true. If there's an etb effect, active player still gets priority first, it's just that they don't usually have a response to their own ability.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
True. They wouldn't get first go at it, but they would get it. That's an important distinction.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Hey guys, I'm going to my first PTQ in Ottawa in a few weeks. It'll be the first competitive event I've ever been to, as I mostly play online.

Anything super important advice? It's a sealed event and sleeves, a deck box, and pad/pen is provided but I'm not sure of what else to bring.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Went to scout out an alternative LGS because I need a closer one for weekday events. While there I noticed the verses packs all had a brand new 50$$ labels on them. I get that they are just trying to make a living but almost doubling the price is getting into gouging territory.

I think I average about 20-30$ once a week at the current LGS I go to. I would prefer to support my local store when I can but crap like this just leaves me a bad taste in my mouth.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I had an opponent play fabled hero, I cast magma jet targeting it, he responded with brave the elements, in response to the spell and heroic trigger I magma jetted the hero again "yeah, but my guy has protection from red!" It took awhile and I offered to call the judge. I don't know that I convinced him this was all on the up and up.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Skillface posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to my first PTQ in Ottawa in a few weeks. It'll be the first competitive event I've ever been to, as I mostly play online.

Anything super important advice? It's a sealed event and sleeves, a deck box, and pad/pen is provided but I'm not sure of what else to bring.
Water and munchies like granola bars. Really important to be hydrated and to sate your hunger.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Molybdenum posted:

I had an opponent play fabled hero, I cast magma jet targeting it, he responded with brave the elements, in response to the spell and heroic trigger I magma jetted the hero again "yeah, but my guy has protection from red!" It took awhile and I offered to call the judge. I don't know that I convinced him this was all on the up and up.

Heroic won't trigger on Brave the Elements anyways because Brave the Elements doesn't target anything.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Skillface posted:

Keep track of life totals with pen and paper and make sure that everything is super transparent. Check and double check that you and your opponent have the same numbers every time one of you takes damage or gains life.

Is the PTQ limited or constructed?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

stone rain, much like just about all LD that trades a spell for a land with no other bonuses, is awful in limited

Whether its good or not isn't the point. Casual players don't find that kind of card fun. In fact, I doubt anyone really likes either playing or receiving that kind of effect.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 2, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

Went to scout out an alternative LGS because I need a closer one for weekday events. While there I noticed the verses packs all had a brand new 50$$ labels on them. I get that they are just trying to make a living but almost doubling the price is getting into gouging territory.

I think I average about 20-30$ once a week at the current LGS I go to. I would prefer to support my local store when I can but crap like this just leaves me a bad taste in my mouth.

The "purpose" of the versus packs shouldn't be to crack them to rip out the few valuable cards the instant that the total value exceeds MSRP. Ideally the owner would float the price to keep it a few bucks above TCGPlayer Mid or whatever, but I'd rather have the store owner get the excess value than the finance shark buying up eight copies.

Edit:

Angry Grimace posted:

Whether its good or not isn't the point. Casual players don't find that kind of card fun.

Duel Decks: Tempo vs. Control

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

I remember of friend of mine went to an FNM and was playing a Bant Control Brew of his against a White Weenie/Heroic deck. His opponent cast Brimaz. My friend cast Dissolve. The opponent tried to respond by casting Gods Willing on his Brimaz, which still hadn't resolved. That took a judge call and two other players to explain to the poor guy how many ways he was wrong.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Keep track of life totals with pen and paper and make sure that everything is super transparent. Check and double check that you and your opponent have the same numbers every time one of you takes damage or gains life.

Is the PTQ limited or constructed?

Limited, it's a sealed event.

I'm guessing that I need to bring dice, what about tokens?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

sarmhan posted:

MTGO doesn't help with these confusions in that by default it passes priority for you whenever you cast a spell unless you hold shift.

Speaking of holding priority, has anyone heard of the format called 'Judges Tower"? It is similar to pack wars, but insane and superfun.

The rules:

- 2 (or more, I guess) players with one large shared library.
- You have unlimited mana
- You can't lose the game in any normal way such as damage, poison etc.
- If you do something illegal (like cast a spell with an invalid target, say) you lose the game.
- If you forget to do 'anything' as soon as it's possible for you to do it, you lose the game.
- Activated abilities can (and by the rule above must) be activated once per turn instead of unlimited times.
- 'Anything' includes attacking and blocking
- Sources with multiple abilities must activate them reading bottom up on the card

So of course you fill the tower with ridiculous complicated cards like

- Guildmages, necrotic ooze, parley cards, cromat, mist dragon, phelddagrifs etc
- Crazy time spiral poo poo like Detainment Spell, Arcanum Wings, Second Wind, Shapeshifter's Marrow, Spellweaver Volute
- Control exchanging effects and dopplegangers/clones
- Cards with multiple triggers, conditional targets, type changing effects, interesting costs like skipping turns
- A few basic lands
- Discourage searching & tokens

I've never seen a game go more than 10 turns or so. Usually there is tons of action in upkeep, draw (all instants), activating stacks of abilities while holding priority, spell fizzling, phasing, it's nuts!

I guarantee you will learn all the intricacies of priority passing and the stack very quickly.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Speaking of holding priority, has anyone heard of the format called 'Judges Tower"? It is similar to pack wars, but insane and superfun.

The rules:

- 2 (or more, I guess) players with one large shared library.
- You have unlimited mana
- You can't lose the game in any normal way such as damage, poison etc.
- If you do something illegal (like cast a spell with an invalid target, say) you lose the game.
- If you forget to do 'anything' as soon as it's possible for you to do it, you lose the game.
- Activated abilities can (and by the rule above must) be activated once per turn instead of unlimited times.
- 'Anything' includes attacking and blocking
- Sources with multiple abilities must activate them reading bottom up on the card

So of course you fill the tower with ridiculous complicated cards like

- Guildmages, necrotic ooze, parley cards, cromat, mist dragon, phelddagrifs etc
- Crazy time spiral poo poo like Detainment Spell, Arcanum Wings, Second Wind, Shapeshifter's Marrow, Spellweaver Volute
- Control exchanging effects and dopplegangers/clones
- Cards with multiple triggers, conditional targets, type changing effects, interesting costs like skipping turns
- A few basic lands
- Discourage searching & tokens

I've never seen a game go more than 10 turns or so. Usually there is tons of action in upkeep, draw (all instants), activating stacks of abilities while holding priority, spell fizzling, phasing, it's nuts!

I guarantee you will learn all the intricacies of priority passing and the stack very quickly.

That sounds horrible and amazing in equal amounts. I REEEEAALLLY want to play it.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

End of Life Guy posted:

I had a guy try to doom blade my Young Pyromancer immediately after it entered the battlefield, and when I mentioned that I still get to cast Molten Birth, he said it was too late because it was sorcery speed.

I feel that is a natural mistake to make for new Magic players. His play would have been legal in Yu-Gi-Oh! for example, where there is an extra round of priority before the game state becomes open.

sarmhan posted:

That is not the same as the Young Pyromancer situation, because you are casting Molten Rain after Pyromancer resolves. I think playing Magic Online helps a lot with understanding priority.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Devor posted:

The "purpose" of the versus packs shouldn't be to crack them to rip out the few valuable cards the instant that the total value exceeds MSRP. Ideally the owner would float the price to keep it a few bucks above TCGPlayer Mid or whatever, but I'd rather have the store owner get the excess value than the finance shark buying up eight copies.

It doesn't exceed the value of MSRP though. Even if it did they could simply crack them open themselves and profit much more than the patron? The thing that it does seem to accomplish is that the people who already buy stuff from the store feel gouged. I didn't even want a courser, I was just curious to know how many they had left.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Skillface posted:

Limited PTQ's and GP's start out a lot different than other limited events because of deck registration. You get to open your packs then mark them off on the registration sheet check them off (do it twice). Then you get to pass the pool to someone else, check to make sure they registered correctly and then build your deck marking off the cards in your deck on the registration sheet. You can change your deck for sideboarding but your deck needs to be what is on the sheet at the start of every round.

For a brand new set don't worry about tokens.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Skillface posted:

Bring dice and pens. Make sure you get a lifepad from one of the dealers and buy new sleeves.

Tokens don't matter that much; judges may provide them or you can use dice or you own, I'd guess.

Bringing food and water is a great suggestion; you won't get a break unless you finish a round early.

Make sure your technical play is tight; don't take shortcuts and if anything - anything - your opponent does seems fishy, immediately stop them and call a judge. Let the judge explain what's going on. Any decent player will be totally fine with you calling a judge and getting an explanation.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If it wasn't clear before that coursers are going to be expensive from now until rotation, the lowest ones on tcg player are $17. Really smacking myself for trading away the ones I've come across since they came out thinking I wouldn't use them.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Skillface posted:

Make sure your cards are all facing the same direction in the sleeves and that the sleeves are all facing the same way in your deck before shuffling. I've received a marked cards warning because some of my cards unintentionally had the sleeve opening up and others down.

Also, write down what your main deck is for yourself and not just the deck registration sheet. That way you can easily desideboard between rounds without having to remember exactly what cards you are playing vs what are sideboard.

Finally, don't be afraid to call a judge if you have a question or think something is suspicious.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Make sure your cards are all facing the same direction in the sleeves and that the sleeves are all facing the same way in your deck before shuffling. I've received a marked cards warning because some of my cards unintentionally had the sleeve opening up and others down.

Also, write down what your main deck is for yourself and not just the deck registration sheet. That way you can easily desideboard between rounds without having to remember exactly what cards you are playing vs what are sideboard.

Finally, don't be afraid to call a judge if you have a question or think something is suspicious.

This is really really good advice.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Bring dice and pens. Make sure you get a lifepad from one of the dealers and buy new sleeves.

Tokens don't matter that much; judges may provide them or you can use dice or you own, I'd guess.

Bringing food and water is a great suggestion; you won't get a break unless you finish a round early.

Make sure your technical play is tight; don't take shortcuts and if anything - anything - your opponent does seems fishy, immediately stop them and call a judge. Let the judge explain what's going on. Any decent player will be totally fine with you calling a judge and getting an explanation.

I highly recommend trail mix and either gatorade or water (preferably water). Trail Mix is perfect as it is filling and relatively good on the nutrient front so that you will actually stay active and able to think well the entire day. Stay away from soda and Red Bull, it will give you a short burst of energy, but then you will crash hard (you won't pass out, or even notice it, but caffeine doesn't actually make you not be tired, it just makes you feel like you aren't tired, so you will still be playing sluggishly).

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
I will definitely be running BUG with Kruphix and lots of graveyard self-mill. In Garruk's Wake, Garruk Apex Predator, and Silence the Beliebers. I think M15 Jace even has a good spot in the deck. Also one of you fools said nobody runs Silence the believers but i run 3 of in my orzhov midrange and along with downfall i generally have no problem controlling the board at FNM :smug:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm thinking of getting out of Magic, hanging on to Modern Finkelstorm and legacy Leylines and liquidating everything else, probably through TCGPlayer.

Any tips for maximizing my money, other than "post it to the SA thread first"?

Tips on getting the initial list together? (my stuff is already very sorted)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Everblight posted:

I'm thinking of getting out of Magic, hanging on to Modern Finkelstorm and legacy Leylines and liquidating everything else, probably through TCGPlayer.

If your going to post and sell as singles on TCGplayer aside from realistically evaluate condition to waste less time and get less complaints etc not really. Sell your singles. You may want to end up taking bulk to a bigger event in person if they come near you.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

jassi007 posted:

If your going to post and sell as singles on TCGplayer aside from realistically evaluate condition to waste less time and get less complaints etc not really. Sell your singles. You may want to end up taking bulk to a bigger event in person if they come near you.

I thought that all the big events hated individuals trying to sell stuff and have made rules against it? Start city games definitely does.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
With Delve being a thing, does new Jace's +1 read "add 1 to your mana pool" in certain decks?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
A shame Kahns is coming in right as RTR is going out. It would've been one dead sexy Junk deck.

Ah well, Anafenza takes the best part of Doran as a commander (big) and throws in supporting your other dudes, incidental grave hate, and much better creature types. The world is telling me to play Junk again. I'm wondering why I ever stopped. :allears:

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!

TheKingofSprings posted:

With Delve being a thing, does new Jace's +1 read "add 1 to your mana pool" in certain decks?

That's kind of how I intend to use him. Praying to the magic gods for a logic knot reprint

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Everblight posted:

Tips on getting the initial list together? (my stuff is already very sorted)

Tip#1, let me get a look first.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

I could see him being used in that manner. Nobody's really figured out what to do with him but I think he'll start seeing some use when khans/delve releases.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Duskfiend posted:

That's kind of how I intend to use him. Praying to the magic gods for a logic knot reprint

I've been thinking about which delve card(s) from FS they might reprint. Tombstalker is both potentially playable and relatively inoffensive, but I don't recall if non-cat demons are a part of Tarkir. Death Rattle is perfectly reprintable but would be worse than usual in a heavily multicolor environment. This might be a mark either in favor of or against reprinting it, depending on R&D's perspective. And Logic Knot is also pretty inoffensive. Really they're all pretty safe cards to reprint, but all else being equal an effectively UU counterspell is probably going to be among the scariest cards from an environment sculpting perspective.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A shame Kahns is coming in right as RTR is going out. It would've been one dead sexy Junk deck.

Ah well, Anafenza takes the best part of Doran as a commander (big) and throws in supporting your other dudes, incidental grave hate, and much better creature types. The world is telling me to play Junk again. I'm wondering why I ever stopped. :allears:

if Extended were around and encompassed INN-JOU blocks I think it would be my favourite format. Junk Rites, black Devotion with Liliana of the Veil, something probably with Snapcaster and Master of Waves, a ton of other really interesting decks.

Maybe I'm overreacting, since I didn't pay any attention to organized play, but all the decks I've looked at from that standard seem really powerful to me.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Sickening posted:

I thought that all the big events hated individuals trying to sell stuff and have made rules against it? Start city games definitely does.

Their FAQ about opens says it's perfectly fine to sell cards to their authorized dealers.

To other individuals though? Of course not.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
I just realized I could probably also run Ob-Nixilis and break fetchlands :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

FordCQC posted:

Their FAQ about opens says it's perfectly fine to sell cards to their authorized dealers.

To other individuals though? Of course not.

Isn't selling to other players pretty much what you want to do if you like money?

• Locked thread