Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Lockback posted:

Does the CK+ rewrite help with performance at all? I liked CK+ quite a bit, but I could only play it on my desktop.

It was intended to, among other things: we've (mostly Rylock, the man is a goddamned machine) recoded a lot of the events to be more efficient, but RoI is a complicating factor and I'm not currently sure how much the work has helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

1. Has anyone attempted the following. You have two (or more) dukes. Take two counties in dejur territory for each and swap who owns them, so duke one wants a county from duke two and vice versa. Then have crown authority high enough to prevent them from fighting each other, but desire territory from one another. I assume this will tank their relations between each other, but leave your relationship with them normal. Would this be effective at making my vassals absolutely hate each other and shift their focus from me to each other?

In order to swap, you have to retract two vassals (one from each duke); that incurs tyranny, so not only will the dukes hate you, so will all of your vassals. I just loaded up a game where I am playing an emperor with a decent reign, and if you did this:
- each duke would give you -60 tyranny for retracting one of their vassals, and also -10 tyranny for revoking the vassal of the other duke, so -70 total.
- all of your vassals would give you -10 tyranny for each county retracted, so -20 total.

You'd only get +20 opinion for giving the dukes a new vassal.

So this is a bad bad idea. Yes, eventually the tyranny would expire, and I guess if you did this with an old ruler then it wouldn't be so bad since the tyranny would go away with your new ruler. I think I'd only do this if you ruler was old and well-loved (e.g. high diplomacy score and the -20 malus from all the other vassals wouldn't cause some massive independence faction), and would die soon anyway so the tyranny would quickly expire.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 2, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can get away with a whole lot of gamey poo poo if you have a depressed ruler with a good successor lined up. You can engage in all the tyranny you want and then off yourself. Just beware to do it all with the game paused if you're using an Elective system you don't fully control, or your dukes will gleefully gently caress up your succession for payback.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
I just picked up Rajas of India expansion and have been away from ck2 for a while.

Can I get a run down of major changes from the previous installment for someone who is not new to the game. What mechanics were introduced and how Indian rulers function?

I'd appreciate a recap instead slogging through the paradox forums

RestRoomLiterature- fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 2, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

You can get away with a whole lot of gamey poo poo if you have a depressed ruler with a good successor lined up. You can engage in all the tyranny you want and then off yourself. Just beware to do it all with the game paused if you're using an Elective system you don't fully control, or your dukes will gleefully gently caress up your succession for payback.

Yeah. I've also had luck putting my ruler on the flank of an army; in fact, in my current game he died right away and I was able to play my heir - mostly unremarkable except that he had a claim to Francia which was currently in revolt. Being able to put down the revolt and force everyone to convert to Buddhism was pretty awesome.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I recently was reminded why I shouldn't put my ruler as the leader of my army. I was attacking some county and lost the first battle because my armies were all scattered. My ruler gets captured and my regent immediately surrenders. I could totally win this war if I re-organised my army but no. Lost a fuckton of prestige and money.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Eruonen posted:

I tried making a faction but got asked to stop and couldn't decline.

Wait and bide your time if necessary. Sometimes the correct course of action is to do nothing...

Meanwhile busy yourself with other pursuits to expand your power in a stable form. See if you can't expand into some weak nearby pagans. (Holy wars are great for temporarily stabilizing your holdings as everyone of the same religion gets a boost to your relations.)

Or look at who's likely to be the next in line to the empire. Bribe them early on and it will be cheaper to have high relations to them. Or start stabbing. Or marrying.... In either order really.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

TheCIASentMe posted:

Wait and bide your time if necessary. Sometimes the correct course of action is to do nothing...

Meanwhile busy yourself with other pursuits to expand your power in a stable form. See if you can't expand into some weak nearby pagans. (Holy wars are great for temporarily stabilizing your holdings as everyone of the same religion gets a boost to your relations.)

Or look at who's likely to be the next in line to the empire. Bribe them early on and it will be cheaper to have high relations to them. Or start stabbing. Or marrying.... In either order really.

I managed to be elected heir, but I can't seem to kill the current emperor and people change their minds a lot about which heir to back. I'll keep at it, though! Thanks for the advice.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

So as I understand it, you can earn the Siege Leader trait from just leading enough sieges right? And I've seen on occasion that you'll get a dialog option to pick your own trait from a few options before, but I'm really clear on what triggers that. Are there any other reliable traits you can earn or ways to get people to learn them? Or other ways to influence getting them?

Viking is another obvious one too though that's not a tactics trait.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

So as I understand it, you can earn the Siege Leader trait from just leading enough sieges right? And I've seen on occasion that you'll get a dialog option to pick your own trait from a few options before, but I'm really clear on what triggers that. Are there any other reliable traits you can earn or ways to get people to learn them? Or other ways to influence getting them?

Viking is another obvious one too though that's not a tactics trait.

It's mostly random for a lot of the traits. However, you can generally get a couple of set traits from the 4 intrigue panel events:

Hunt - Kindness and Diligence I think. They're still a random chance that the event fires but you should see it once every 3 years or so.
Summer Fair - Generosity and a trait I'm blanking on.
Feast - Gluttony and Lust are occasional options I think. If not I know it allows you to occasionally take a female guest on a tour of your bedroom which then adds them as a lover which can then cause the lust option in later events.
Pilgrimage - You can only do this one once, but you get the chance of choosing between zealous and cynical.

Edit: Looking it up there are a lot more traits you can possibly get from the above events. See http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Decisions
Though I am pretty drat sure you can get kindness from the hunt and it's not listed on the wiki.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 2, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh I actually was wondering specifically about Leadership Traits, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Sounds like you might need to have the rank 3 or 4 Martial educations to get them at all?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

:argh:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You get one leadership trait for free with Brilliant Strategist and you can gain more by commanding forces in battle. I can't say what the specifics are, but the event that grants them lets you pick from up to 4 different traits at a time, and they are tailored to the kind of force you have at your disposal and the province where the battle is fought.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
There are actually 4 different events that look identical (probably because there are more leadership traits to choose from than can fit in one event dialog box even with a lot of limiting factors.) They're all triggered by the RNG in precisely the same way as getting killed in battle or gaining a military education level.

So depending on which of the 4 events the RNG triggers (as well as the battle's terrain, whether it's a siege, and the commander's existing traits) you'll see different sets of choices. I don't know for sure if leadership traits are awarded in other ways though.

I think that there's a cap on how many leadership traits you can have related to your military education level, as well?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
What is the "optimal" way to set up my crown laws? Is it Feudal= no taxes high levies, City= high taxes no levies, Church= ???

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think that there's a cap on how many leadership traits you can have related to your military education level, as well?

Yeah I just read that on a wiki page, it claims that you can only get 1 leadership trait at Rank 3 Martial education (Skilled Tactician), and 2 leadership traits at Rank 4 Martial (Brilliant Strategist). Not sure if that's still accurate or not, but it would explain why sometimes I could never get them on a leader.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What is the "optimal" way to set up my crown laws? Is it Feudal= no taxes high levies, City= high taxes no levies, Church= ???

You're approaching this the wrong way. You don't shoot for an "optimal" level, you adjust it according to the relative power and approval of your vassals. (And how much you care about that approval, i.e. not all religions have to compete with the Pope for bishop taxes, whether you're Elective or not, etc.)

Turning off feudal taxes is generally a terrible idea because that's typically where a huge portion of your income comes from, but even then it depends on the size of your realm and how much you've delegated.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What's good retinue composition for italians?

Normally I use 100% cultural retinues, but their cultural one is just pikemen.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Um, pikemen are good?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pikemen with a pretty sweet morale bonus, which complements pikemen's inherent morale and defensiveness.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, not only are pikemen good but Italians get a unique cultural tactic that greatly increases pikemen's offense (by +300%), as well as the offensive abilities of heavy infantry (+120%) and heavy cavalry (+60%). So I'd take a bunch of pikemen and supplement them with the heavy cav/inf and archers (so you're not toothless during skirmish phase) from your levies. Unless you're planning on using your retinues exclusively, in which case throw in the occasional Shock retinue with the pikemen.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Alright then, for some reason I though pikemen sucked, I usually never use then on retinues.

Thank you.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dallan Invictus posted:

It was intended to, among other things: we've (mostly Rylock, the man is a goddamned machine) recoded a lot of the events to be more efficient, but RoI is a complicating factor and I'm not currently sure how much the work has helped.

I heard from someone that the new CK2+ team (assuming that includes you) do not allow other modders to work off CK2+, is that true?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Wiz posted:

I heard from someone that the new CK2+ team (assuming that includes you) do not allow other modders to work off CK2+, is that true?

I'm only aware of one time we were asked (though I don't interact with the Paradox forums: schwarherz still does most of that), and as I recall that was when the mod was crashing every half hour and he said something along the lines of "we're not comfortable letting people use the current code when it's not compatible and we don't yet know what parts of it we're about to set on fire, ask us when the rewrite is done."

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 2, 2014

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm only aware of one time we were asked (though I don't interact with the Paradox forums: schwarherz still does most of that), and as I recall that was when the mod was crashing every half hour and he said something along the lines of "we're not comfortable letting people use the current code when it's not compatible and we don't yet know what parts of it we're about to set on fire, ask us when the rewrite is done."

Fair enough. As I said this is just based on someone told me, it'd just bother me a bit if this was the case since my policy was always that anyone was free to use my code for whatever they wanted.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I usually run max crown authority, max taxes and no levies on everyone, and I very rarely have problems.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

pwnyXpress posted:

I usually run max crown authority, max taxes and no levies on everyone, and I very rarely have problems.

Wait, that means you dont use vassal levies at all?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Elias_Maluco posted:

I imagine with all that money, you can just buy mercenaries.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Elias_Maluco posted:

I THINK the levies go off of CA first, so he gets the levies from CA and the happy opinion from minimum levies. Offsets each other.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Honestly, as thwart with potential shittiness and unfun as the new vassal caps, tribal holdings etc could be, I really hope they curtail AI blobbing, even if just a little. While I'm not against players doing conquer the 'world' challenges, or making the new Roman Empire or whatever, it feels really dissatisfying in a way to see the world by 1444 basically occupied by what are basically completely modern sized nation states. The 867 (and presumably the new one) give the AI more time to spread but still. It is nice to have a more regional powers and even some OPMs in the mix. It especially makes EUIV more satisfying because it gives you something to do.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

cryptoclastic posted:

I THINK the levies go off of CA first, so he gets the levies from CA and the happy opinion from minimum levies. Offsets each other.

This is correct. The levy law sets a maximum, but crown laws set a minimum, which overrides the maximum.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

cryptoclastic posted:

These are both correct. By the time I can actually have max CA my realm is big enough that retinues can do almost anything I need for me.

(I may make occasional use of vassal levies to kill vikings raiding my territory because those guys are annoying as all get out.)

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
How do you actually kill raiders? If I raise levies in the besieged province, they lose anyway because of no morale; if I raise in the neighboring province the vikings flee to their ships.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Apoffys posted:

How do you actually kill raiders? If I raise levies in the besieged province, they lose anyway because of no morale; if I raise in the neighboring province the vikings flee to their ships.

Pay attention to where the vikings come from and holy war all of their territory. It's the only way to be sure.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Apoffys posted:

a) raise overwhelming numbers of your local levies so the morale penalty doesn't matter and swarm them in as a constant stream of reinforcements to the battle started by your raising the territory being attacked,
b) bring troops in by ship: the vikings won't usually flee unless your troops approach by land (note, you will take a 50% morale penalty for the amphibious attack, so you will need more troops than they have)
c) accept driving them off as a victory,
d) holy war their entire religion off the map and hear the lamentations of their women. :black101:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Still new.

I get the Crusade pop ups but I don't get requests to join in. Is that normal? I half expected to be strong armed into sensing some men over but I never have. Should I be manually doing it anyway?

Is there a way I can find out which rulers got excommunicated or are stormed by revolts (that is, vulnerable) without being informed every time they sneeze or hiccup or anything.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Apoffys posted:

This is the Viking Age experience in a nutshell. Christendom hates it! One easy way to raid powerful kingdoms with impunity, discovered by a MOM!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Fat Turkey posted:

Still new.

I get the Crusade pop ups but I don't get requests to join in. Is that normal? I half expected to be strong armed into sensing some men over but I never have. Should I be manually doing it anyway?

Yes, this is normal. I believe you take a piety penalty or a penalty in church relations for not crusading (but this might be my memories of the first game talking) and you may get an event asking you to join (this may only be if you've been excommunicated while a crusade is running) but otherwise you won't be hassled.

quote:

Is there a way I can find out which rulers got excommunicated or are stormed by revolts (that is, vulnerable) without being informed every time they sneeze or hiccup or anything.

When you get a popup about them sneezing, there should be a little button in the lower right corner that lets you set when and how you'll receive that type of message. You can have different settings for "yourself/close family", "characters marked as special interest" and "other characters of message interest" so it's easy enough to set it all up how you like it.

(the entire list of these message settings is also reachable through the game menu - hit escape and it should be there.)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I had this in a recent game, but when the kid was born there was no further doubt and he was recognized as mine with no bastard or suspected bastard events or traits or anything. Guess my dude just forgot? He was like 78 when the kid was born. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mister Adequate posted:

I had this in a recent game, but when the kid was born there was no further doubt and he was recognized as mine with no bastard or suspected bastard events or traits or anything. Guess my dude just forgot? He was like 78 when the kid was born. :shrug:

Bastards can either be known or not known. If you get that event, that means your kid is a bastard, but you only suspect it. You can still end up believing that the kid is legitimately yours and him/her having no negative bastard traits.

• Locked thread