Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Al! posted:

Pax isn't exactly a friendly space for people like her.
I have to say, when I first heard about "GAYmerX" or whatever that con was, my immediate knee-jerk reaction was "ugh, I'm not interested in that at all," however, after hearing her talk about it, I think I'd rather make that be the first Con I went to over PAX or comic-con, et al.

I guess I'm getting too old and cranky to rub elbows with immature assholes, and would rather participate in something both fun, inclusive, and welcoming to all comers.

VDay posted:

Yeah the most terrifying part for me is easily the calm levelheadedness of some of those people in the face of this completely ludicrous thing.
It's literally the only thing you can do. Refuse to escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Veib posted:

Also earlier I saw some guy compare this whole thing to the Arab Spring. Who the gently caress are these people? Do they not understand what the words they use mean?

Some people have a severe lack of perspective, where the most they've been wronged is when their mom forgot to pick up the pizza rolls. They can't imagine anything much worse than that.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

coyo7e posted:

I have to say, when I first heard about "GAYmerX" or whatever that con was, my immediate knee-jerk reaction was "ugh, I'm not interested in that at all," however, after hearing her talk about it, I think I'd rather make that be the first Con I went to over PAX or comic-con, et al.

I guess I'm getting too old and cranky to rub elbows with immature assholes, and would rather participate in something both fun, inclusive, and welcoming to all comers.
It's literally the only thing you can do. Refuse to escalate.

I'd love to go to Gaymerx at this point. This is the first year I've missed PAX and it stings. It is a fun time, it's just complete with jerkos. In fact, if anyone knows of any other inclusive con style experiences that aren't crawling with NOS Energy Party Girls, let me know.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr. Stab posted:

Some people have a severe lack of perspective, where the most they've been wronged is when their mom forgot to pick up the pizza rolls. They can't imagine anything much worse than that.
My personal suspicion is that it's a form of jealousy from bored privileged people who are simply unhappy with their own circumstances. People see all of these massive and amazing social movements and episodes of unrest rising up, and they think, "I can't afford to quit my day job and travel to Gaza/Ferguson/Syria, I'd better find something closer to home which I can get behind - oh hey there's a game I don't play and have some knee-jerk dislike toward, it got some positive press and I heard this gossip so I will :barf: all over it."

At a certain low point in my life I held those kinds of opinions, I was just either too busy or prudent to pursue them and/or vent them in public.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it's the people who are harassing Quinn who would be going to Ferguson or Gaza but instead are just really vocal on twitter...

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Woffle posted:

In fact, if anyone knows of any other inclusive con style experiences that aren't crawling with NOS Energy Party Girls, let me know.

Duckcon 2016?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pacey-con.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

VDay posted:

Pacey-con.

You? You I like. (I've become more and more disappointed that SDCC has basically phased out a lot of tabletop/gaming-related stuff in the rush to be HOLLYWOOD ALL THE TIME because it has a fantastic atmosphere.)

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Timett posted:

Duckcon 2016?

Let's see how our Portland Retro Gaming Expo meetup goes first.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

coyo7e posted:

My personal suspicion is that it's a form of jealousy from bored privileged people who are simply unhappy with their own circumstances. People see all of these massive and amazing social movements and episodes of unrest rising up, and they think, "I can't afford to quit my day job and travel to Gaza/Ferguson/Syria, I'd better find something closer to home which I can get behind - oh hey there's a game I don't play and have some knee-jerk dislike toward, it got some positive press and I heard this gossip so I will :barf: all over it."

I live in a gated apartment building, and there's this wall right above the parking lot. On the other side of the wall, it's city property, a nice little grassy walkway for people to walk their dog or stroll to the store.

The ground is several feet higher on the city side, so the wall is actually taller on the parking lot side. It's real easy to climb on the city side, and a decent jump down. So naturally, every couple months or so, some kid scrambles up that wall, sometimes messes with some of the cars on this side, and makes a dash for the entry gate through the entry lobby, which is always unlocked on the inside.

It's a way for bored suburban kids to be daring outlaws. It's not really daring, but it feels like it for a few minutes.

A couple years ago, a few cars got broken into, and my rear window got smashed in. I dunno, I was kinda burned up about it for the day. But you're going to get assholes who want to push the envelope, prove their manhood, and it's an easy way to get a thrill. In the end, it's behavior that will punish itself, because it's probably the latest nonsense in a string of pointless bullshit that they do with their lives, and it'll get them just as nowhere as they already are.

I am definitely not saying that people shouldn't be called out. Idiots making death threats should feel pressure, and real fear that their crimes will be punished. What I am saying is that many are powerless losers, they know it deep down, and this is a cheap thrill for them. This attitude won't be stomped out anytime soon.

Teenage boys still scale the wall and tag it with their little gang affiliation.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Woffle posted:

Let's see how our Portland Retro Gaming Expo meetup goes first.

Seeing how things in the world at large have been poo poo, its going to become a mild-mannered protest.

But then again with the massive CIA false flag OP of leaking hundreds of celebrity nudes I think things will settle down for a bit.

Thanks to the level guys for answering my silly FFXIV question, I know most of you guys are not currently playing MMO. And yes there is all sorts of complete nutcases who say that FFXIV 1.23 was much better than the current iteration and one guy who even said that 2.0 will not have the longevity of 1.0. :psyduck:

And yes the Coast Guard can potentially get involved in a murder case. There is a poo poo ton of caveats that need to happen before we get involved in that poo poo though...

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

ElMaligno posted:

Seeing how things in the world at large have been poo poo, its going to become a mild-mannered protest.

Two exclamation marks? Careful now, let's not get carried away here.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There is no way that's not a parody.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I genuinely can't believe this thing is still going. I was quite happy with accepting that some indie game developer that I'd previously never heard of is an rear end in a top hat, but apparently people actually care about this stuff.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

I genuinely can't believe this thing is still going. I was quite happy with accepting that some indie game developer that I'd previously never heard of is an rear end in a top hat, but apparently people actually care about this stuff.

Everyone needs to calm down and watch this. It will defuse the situation and this thread can be about podcasts again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Egx0p04tU

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

There is no way that's not a parody.

I like that when the dev is a women, they go after the dev, but when the journalist is a women, they go after the journalist.

Well adjusted folks, all.

Crip Towe
Sep 7, 2012
What the F, duckfeed Guys. Why is Infinity Engineers not a podcast?
I would love to have a podcast like bonfireside chat about IE games. Make it so!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

weird bleep posted:

Everyone needs to calm down and watch this. It will defuse the situation and this thread can be about podcasts again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Egx0p04tU

Master Knight DH to the rescue, once again

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I thought this was a decent stab at the motivation for a lot of the bullshit the last couple weeks have highlighted:

quote:

Let me tell you where these kids are coming from, because I used to come from there. The first thing that’s happening is that they’re mostly males who are socially unaccepted. They’re outsiders, losers, weirdos and freaks. And most of them aren’t just male, they’re white males. What’s happening is that these men are feeling powerless in their own lives, and then along comes someone like Anita Sarkeesian telling them that as white men they are the MOST powerful group in the world. And that they should be aware of this privilege and they should be careful how they exert it.

Imagine the confusion this causes. These kids feel like the bottom of the heap, ignored and hated and mocked and here comes this woman - who is successful and admired and gets Joss Whedon to retweet her videos - telling them that they’re actually part of an invisible system keeping her down. This simply can’t compute for these guys.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bobservo posted:

I think it's been said, but the engine behind this whole Quinn issue is "a woman had sex (!!!) and it wasn't with me."

I don't think it's that a lot of these people wanted to have sex with Quinn; but that they've convinced themselves, like the Santa Barbara shooter guy, that their not getting laid is due to their own abstaining from women for being too unfaithful to be worth their time. Quinn's personal life made them feel like this was valid, and they thought figured out how the world actually worked.

The underlying issues, particularly around this "gamer is dead" thing was that gamer used to be a specific form of 'undesirable loser' and one some people tried to own. The fact that some women want to be known as gamers causes friction to these people because women are by nature desirable, and that's never gonna change.

Oddly enough, that desirability is why certain fringe feminist viewpoints, particularly critiques of our culture itself and why it holds women up disproportionately to standards of beauty and objectification, are ultimately losing propositions. So as people have said numerous times, the cleavage in games aren't going to disappear.

In other words, guys who clung to "gamer" as their way of addressing their outsider-ness to the world need to accept that gaming isn't just a counterculture slacker hobby anymore.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 1, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ja2ke posted:

I thought this was a decent stab at the motivation for a lot of the bullshit the last couple weeks have highlighted:
That is a good read. It's also that gaming for those geeks, dweebs and losers was sort of a sanctuary from all the bullying and other things, so when someone comes along and tells you that your sanctuary is actually a problematic thing or it's a downright disgusting piece of poo poo that you should feel bad for enjoying then you can't help but get defensive, irrationally so or not. Especially so since before that the person never did anything within the industry before, so they feel like an outsider trying to take away something special from them.

Also, I feel there is an unfortunate effect the internet has on people's perceptions is that it reduces people down to a basic level and people are anything but. Someone makes a remark and suddenly that remark defines them. We ultimately don't know any of the people in any of this on either side. We don't know why they're saying these things and the nature of twitter is such that they can't explain why if asked or if they could they may not be able to put it into words because they never really thought about it before and only know that gaming for them is special.

But it's easier to call them MRA's and sexist monsters. Sure, a few people capitalizing on the whole thing (like those youtube guys) may have some problematic worldviews but the average person on twitter probably is afraid that changes would ruin something they hold dear not fully understanding those changes (and how they will be a good thing).

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 1, 2014

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Crip Towe posted:

What the F, duckfeed Guys. Why is Infinity Engineers not a podcast?
I would love to have a podcast like bonfireside chat about IE games. Make it so!

There's no time and it's more of a personal passion than a shared one, I think. Read it and weep. :angel:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jimbot posted:

when someone comes along and tells you that your sanctuary is actually a problematic thing or it's a downright disgusting piece of poo poo that you should feel bad for enjoying then you can't help but get defensive, irrationally so or not.
Funny, when I grew up in the 80s-90s, gamers were looked down on, actual legislation was put forth (sometimes passed) against gaming as an industry, and some pundits made a pretty good living on trashing it (quick, what was the name of the lawyer guy back in the Tipper Gore era who made a pile of money arguing going on TV and saying how games ruined lives and caused violence? Don't google it, I almost forgot his name too! :D )

Where's that :getoffmylawn: emoticon, anyway?

quote:

Also, I feel there is an unfortunate effect the internet has on people's perceptions is that it reduces people down to a basic level and people are anything but. Someone makes a remark and suddenly that remark defines them.g).
As I mentioned earlier I feel that we are (for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, 'til death do us part) all forced together "inside a crowded theater" on the internet nowdays, so when someone shouts something unforgivable there are going to be some growing pain while society as a whole deals with how to forgive them. I feel really bad for kids today who go on facebook and post all kinds of regrettable poo poo however, that's the world they grew up in and they have to deal with it - yet it could and may catch them out down the line, and it has nothing to do with what I wish as much as it does with how you are treated for acting out of hand in a public sphere.

I personally grew up as a really big straight white guy and when I was that age I felt that my life was Utter Persecution (kids began starting fights with me because my parents were teachers and because I lived far outside of the outskirts of town so there were no other kids to go hang out with.. I summarily kicked their asses by virtue of being huge, and was given ice cream and told that they were just "poor kids from bad homes". Then other kids began stepping up on me for thinking I was "hard." I felt that I was being bullied, and never realized just how nasty my mouth was and how far I pushed the envelope with these kids, for instance, and never realized how I'd kind of been the bully I felt I was being persecuted by for many, many years, privilege.txt as it were) and did all kinds of things which I now wish I could take back. That may simply be part of growing up - at least for kids who grow up in a position of (mostly) privilege and are unaware of the fact. Sometimes *for women, minorities, etc,) those feelings of perceived power imbalance are real, though.

It's a factor of both growing up and dealing with the hormonal and emotional turmoil, as well as grappling with the desperate desire to Be Important In Your Personal Suffering when all you see are other people without your circumstances and upbringing are Suffering Even More, and when one is that short-sighted, it all revolves not around me and us, but rather me versus them.

Many if not most people are jealous at some level, of the ability to be a martyr, to display such an unimpeachable level of courage as someone who truly would give everything for a cause when it comes up in their random daily circumstances - yet when they're told "sorry this person's suffering is actually even worse than yours," it can be difficult, stressful, even painful to work past it and to find another focus other than that personal angst and deep-seated anger (I'm a strong believer in the theory that we're all born as sociopaths as well, because I kind of suspect I was one for a very long time and there's no way to go back and tell my younger self just how hosed up I was acting).

One becomes desperate and instead latches onto the only piece of flotsam they can see while being tossed about by the waves of their own young and turmoil-filled life, and they cannot let go because they can't see the beach for the waves, as it were.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 2, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

coyo7e posted:

(I'm a strong believer in the theory that we're all born as sociopaths as well, because I kind of suspect I was one for a very long time and there's no way to go back and tell my younger self just how hosed up I was acting).
That's not sociopathy, that's just puberty.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Ditto, I mean that literally, I'm not a developmental psychologist but everything I've heard regarding the subject tends to mention that the development of empathy is something that happens during adolescence and not ingrained since birth.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I feel old just typing this but the games industry is in this weird spot with teenagers and social media etc. It has to treat them as if they are full adults which leads to all sorts of crazy situations. When I was a teenager all this poo poo was pretty much corralled in school or it would be dealt with face to face by the police.

On the internet it's just open season. I think in 10 years we are going to go full circle and what is happening these days will just be seen as this weird period in the internet's development.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Every American should have to do 8 weeks of boot camp out of high school because nothing drills into your head that you're not a special snowflake harder than having to live with 50+ people whose identities are reduced to bald, uniformed sad sacks with last names only. I racked with a kid from a Chinese province I never heard of (Macau) and he taught me Cantonese swears after lights out.

I'm also glad this is getting talked about more often. The more opponents yell, kick, and scream the more people are like "wait a minute, something's not right here."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 2, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

al-azad posted:

Every American should have to do 8 weeks of boot camp out of high school because nothing drills into your head that you're not a special snowflake harder than having to live with 50+ people whose identities are reduced to bald, uniformed sad sacks with last names only.
No, that's stupid, you're stupid.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

al-azad posted:

Every American should have to do 8 weeks of boot camp out of high school because nothing drills into your head that you're not a special snowflake harder than having to live with 50+ people whose identities are reduced to bald, uniformed sad sacks with last names only. I racked with a kid from a Chinese province I never heard of (Macau) and he taught me Cantonese swears after lights out.
Yeah I don't know about that, because Taiwan has a year of compulsory military service for every able-bodied male 18-35 and they're still frequently squishy, emotionally immature idiots.

quote:

I'm also glad this is getting talked about more often. The more opponents yell, kick, and scream the more people are like "wait a minute, something's not right here."
This I'm down with. They're kicking and screaming mostly because they're not used to being challenged, which is why their screams are so frequently unfounded and barely coherent.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Was there a Campo Santo panel at PAX and where is it viewable?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Was there a Campo Santo panel at PAX and where is it viewable?

I remembered seeing it somewhere so I typed "fire watch" with a space in my browser and all the history results were Watch Out For Fireballs. Using my cool smarts I deleted the space and found it: http://www.twitch.tv/pax2/b/563131781?t=23h16m50s

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
The audio on the gameplay demo during the panel doesn't sound great on the stream. Sean said somewhere that they plan to do a stream soon to show the same stuff with better audio quality.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

al-azad posted:

Expecting 8 weeks of physical activity being the panacea to cure all of society's ills is, well, short-sighted and myopic at best. You think a compulsory bad haircut, getting shouted at, and having to get up early for two whole months is going to make everyone a better person? Why not just get a job hauling bricks - at least there'd be less chance of someone having designed a program to turn me into a robot while getting into good physical shape, there. Secondarily, "I slept near an asian person" is perilously close to the "some of my best friends are black people" form of denial.

Now, if you had compulsory military service for a year, you could actually sublimate these individuals' egos more successfully to some extent. That said, they would also be likely come out with a blindly mind-set which solves every problem with a missile while still believing to be the one at a disadvantage despite having one of the most powerful military complexes in the world - see Israel for an example of what could potentially happen. Not that I wouldn't mind just invading Canada since they're pretty much a wanna be america and on our land anyway.

I'm not saying that our nation doesn't essentially do that same thing already and without forcing everyone to pack a rifle around however, we do have plenty of people who stand up and say "hey, this might not be a good idea."

I came very close to joining the military at a few points in my life, and frankly I do not regret not having done so, because the vast majority of people who I know who went in and came out, are entirely different and not generally in a wholly positive manner. A lot of my less-advantaged cousins than myself, went in to get a chance at schooling or to get out of small, lovely towns with dying economies. A couple got shot, several have massive mental issues, one killed themself, a couple got ridiculously fat as some kind of bounce-back from no longer being so physically active, and one thinks that hitting up a strip club, starting a bar fight with a guy who picked on him in 10th grade, and then driving home running over stop signs on purpose is how you have a good time and impress your friends (I have an enormous number of cousins and the majority of them grew up fairly poor, so a huge portion of them did enlist to get out of bad situations). Scares the poo poo out of me that I almost ended like one of them.

I'd prefer to give every kid compulsory 8-week retreats in the woods with some REI-sporting hippy guitar-playing guidance counselors who care about treating everyone as a unique person who is probably not sure about who they are or how they'll spend their life, rather than forcing them all into the same shape. Yeah it'd be obnoxious but would it do any more damage than basic training potentially could? It'd certainly be more cost-effective than shaping someone into a soldier is. A lot of our youth are scared and damaged people who don't know what to do with their life - why not make them take a compulsory year in an apprenticeship program, experimenting with learning a trade? Maybe give them college money for spending a year tutoring younger kids who're still stuck in school?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 2, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just listened to the Roguelike Radio podcast on Nethack (Feb '14). It was pretty good, and better than firing Nethack back up and getting frustrated again. So, how 'bout them video game podcasts.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Compulsory community service would be much better. gently caress the military.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

Compulsory AmeriCorp trail building. Go in the forest and eat warmed over cheese for weeks at a time in the middle of nowhere.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
good talk, no more tia

al-azad
May 28, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Expecting 8 weeks of physical activity being the panacea to cure all of society's ills is, well, short-sighted and myopic at best. You think a compulsory bad haircut, getting shouted at, and having to get up early for two whole months is going to make everyone a better person? Why not just get a job hauling bricks - at least there'd be less chance of someone having designed a program to turn me into a robot while getting into good physical shape, there. Secondarily, "I slept near an asian person" is perilously close to the "some of my best friends are black people" form of denial.

Now, if you had compulsory military service for a year, you could actually sublimate these individuals' egos more successfully to some extent. That said, they would also be likely come out with a blindly mind-set which solves every problem with a missile while still believing to be the one at a disadvantage despite having one of the most powerful military complexes in the world - see Israel for an example of what could potentially happen. Not that I wouldn't mind just invading Canada since they're pretty much a wanna be america and on our land anyway.

I'm not saying that our nation doesn't essentially do that same thing already and without forcing everyone to pack a rifle around however, we do have plenty of people who stand up and say "hey, this might not be a good idea."

I came very close to joining the military at a few points in my life, and frankly I do not regret not having done so, because the vast majority of people who I know who went in and came out, are entirely different and not generally in a wholly positive manner. A lot of my less-advantaged cousins than myself, went in to get a chance at schooling or to get out of small, lovely towns with dying economies. A couple got shot, several have massive mental issues, one killed themself, a couple got ridiculously fat as some kind of bounce-back from no longer being so physically active, and one thinks that hitting up a strip club, starting a bar fight with a guy who picked on him in 10th grade, and then driving home running over stop signs on purpose is how you have a good time and impress your friends (I have an enormous number of cousins and the majority of them grew up fairly poor, so a huge portion of them did enlist to get out of bad situations). Scares the poo poo out of me that I almost ended like one of them.

I'd prefer to give every kid compulsory 8-week retreats in the woods with some REI-sporting hippy guitar-playing guidance counselors who care about treating everyone as a unique person who is probably not sure about who they are or how they'll spend their life, rather than forcing them all into the same shape. Yeah it'd be obnoxious but would it do any more damage than basic training potentially could? It'd certainly be more cost-effective than shaping someone into a soldier is. A lot of our youth are scared and damaged people who don't know what to do with their life - why not make them take a compulsory year in an apprenticeship program, experimenting with learning a trade? Maybe give them college money for spending a year tutoring younger kids who're still stuck in school?

The objective of boot camp isn't to turn you into a mindless killer robot soldier OORAH it's to teach you that your problems aren't unique, that there are other people in the world besides you and you can probably learn something from them, and that you have to rely on those people to succeed because you will fail without them and drag them down with you. Now I won't get any further than that because all the branches are different in their mindset but the objective of working out and training together is to strip away your "me me me" mentality and turn it into "we we we."

I won't continue down this derail further because no one has any idea what the gently caress goes on in the military except those working in it.

bobservo posted:

I'm down for this as well, just throw in some group exercise.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

coyo7e posted:

Funny, when I grew up in the 80s-90s, gamers were looked down on, actual legislation was put forth (sometimes passed) against gaming as an industry, and some pundits made a pretty good living on trashing it (quick, what was the name of the lawyer guy back in the Tipper Gore era who made a pile of money arguing going on TV and saying how games ruined lives and caused violence? Don't google it, I almost forgot his name too! :D )

Where's that :getoffmylawn: emoticon, anyway?

As I mentioned earlier I feel that we are (for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, 'til death do us part) all forced together "inside a crowded theater" on the internet nowdays, so when someone shouts something unforgivable there are going to be some growing pain while society as a whole deals with how to forgive them. I feel really bad for kids today who go on facebook and post all kinds of regrettable poo poo however, that's the world they grew up in and they have to deal with it - yet it could and may catch them out down the line, and it has nothing to do with what I wish as much as it does with how you are treated for acting out of hand in a public sphere.

I personally grew up as a really big straight white guy and when I was that age I felt that my life was Utter Persecution (kids began starting fights with me because my parents were teachers and because I lived far outside of the outskirts of town so there were no other kids to go hang out with.. I summarily kicked their asses by virtue of being huge, and was given ice cream and told that they were just "poor kids from bad homes". Then other kids began stepping up on me for thinking I was "hard." I felt that I was being bullied, and never realized just how nasty my mouth was and how far I pushed the envelope with these kids, for instance, and never realized how I'd kind of been the bully I felt I was being persecuted by for many, many years, privilege.txt as it were) and did all kinds of things which I now wish I could take back. That may simply be part of growing up - at least for kids who grow up in a position of (mostly) privilege and are unaware of the fact. Sometimes *for women, minorities, etc,) those feelings of perceived power imbalance are real, though.

It's a factor of both growing up and dealing with the hormonal and emotional turmoil, as well as grappling with the desperate desire to Be Important In Your Personal Suffering when all you see are other people without your circumstances and upbringing are Suffering Even More, and when one is that short-sighted, it all revolves not around me and us, but rather me versus them.

Many if not most people are jealous at some level, of the ability to be a martyr, to display such an unimpeachable level of courage as someone who truly would give everything for a cause when it comes up in their random daily circumstances - yet when they're told "sorry this person's suffering is actually even worse than yours," it can be difficult, stressful, even painful to work past it and to find another focus other than that personal angst and deep-seated anger (I'm a strong believer in the theory that we're all born as sociopaths as well, because I kind of suspect I was one for a very long time and there's no way to go back and tell my younger self just how hosed up I was acting).

One becomes desperate and instead latches onto the only piece of flotsam they can see while being tossed about by the waves of their own young and turmoil-filled life, and they cannot let go because they can't see the beach for the waves, as it were.

This may not equate with the murders in Tianemen Square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
This thread :jebstare:

Kerbalcast - Episode 17: "The Big Letdown" :jeb:

I only thought I had fuel figured out!
Mission Briefing: your letters and Kerbal news
Modder's Minute with DK