Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Acidian posted:

No, if it requires a 4 part confirmation then no, that is not what happened. Because I clicked the shrine, clicked on one of the options, it asked me if I wanted to do the thing, I said no, and that was it. I could have accidentally clicked the wrong button once, but not 4 times. Thanks for clearing that up. If the ballista shoots 3 arrows and only 1 hit, then that must be the answer. Then I still have no clue why the durability was so messed up. :iiam:

If you haven't deleted that character, go on him and take a screenshot. The symbol in the upper left is your covenant symbol. That will show if you were in the covenant or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I think the pursuers are the knights whose job was to hunt down any undead who managed to avoid getting imprisoned in the bastille or similar places. They developed the cursing attack so they could fulfill their qouta faster.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

flarp22 posted:

Anyone willing to part with a Fume Sorcerer Mask? I've hunted them to extinction and do not feel confident asceticing the area I was farming them in. Character has ~800k SM, and is on NG.

That's a cool looking set, I didn't know they dropped anything!

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Genocyber posted:

If you haven't deleted that character, go on him and take a screenshot. The symbol in the upper left is your covenant symbol. That will show if you were in the covenant or not.

There is a double sword symbol by my portrait?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95293/dark%20souls.jpg

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Your covenant badge (the dark octagon) is empty so you haven't entered any, thus the damage thing wasn't caused by being in CoC (Covenant of Champions).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I would give so much for an un-cracked orb. In 10 invasions I had 3 disconnects and 4 spawn ins while the world master is walking right through the fog door. All tried cost me an orb, so dumb.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I would give so much for an un-cracked orb. In 10 invasions I had 3 disconnects and 4 spawn ins while the world master is walking right through the fog door. All tried cost me an orb, so dumb.

Cheat yourself infinite orbs?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does anybody have any information on the big guys with the huge machetes in the lost Bastille? The only item I've ever seen related to them didn't really explain much other than they are trying to appear scary. Also I guess they have pyromancy. I sort of assume they are the hollowed prison wardens or whatever?

Also what's the deal with the shrine of Amana. It's between the castle and the undead crypt, so vendrick and his men had to go through it too to get there. One one item I found, I think it was the leggings off one of the guys with the hammers, it said something like "the archdrake sect was a powerful match for vendrick's men." Does that mean vendrick conquered the shrine of Amana? Shrine of Amana was the weirdest fuckin zone in the game.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SunAndSpring posted:

Edit: Oh, does the FK's helmet remind anyone of Artorias' helmet? It's got that same sort of warped visor and bird-like aesthetic.

I thought it looked a hell of a lot closer to the hollow knights you face in FOFG than Artorias' gear. That makes more sense to me because Raine was supposed to be a traitor to Vendrick and that's why he got kicked out in the first place. His whole outfit looks like a dark grey recolor of the hollow knights in FOFG.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

homeless poster posted:

I thought it looked a hell of a lot closer to the hollow knights you face in FOFG than Artorias' gear. That makes more sense to me because Raine was supposed to be a traitor to Vendrick and that's why he got kicked out in the first place. His whole outfit looks like a dark grey recolor of the hollow knights in FOFG.

There are a lot of dead drangleic knights around Brume come to think of it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Comparison:

But here's an interesting thing I noticed, Raime's armor has the same patterned cloth on the back as Velstadt's (though Raime's is almost completely torn off), probably because they both served Vendrick in a similar position:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

verybad posted:

I think Ruin Sentinels is a bullshit fight, not because it's especially challenging (well, not anymore anyway), but because the arena you fight them in is visually (& gameplay-wise) uninteresting, the sentinels are all the same and because it rewards a very passive, boring style of play where you turtle up behind your shield, maybe dodge a few big hits and just wait until everything lines up perfectly and then you counter hit once and go back to turtling. This seems to be a problem with the Souls series in general, though.

That is a fair assessment and I would agree, though I did enjoy the dynamic of a small platform for the initial 1v1

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Acidian posted:

There is a double sword symbol by my portrait?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95293/dark%20souls.jpg

OK yeah you aren't in CoC so that wasn't the problem.

The double sword thing is the Ring of Blades enhancing your melee damage, it's actually supposed to be an up arrow next to a sword but it's a crappy icon.

Now that you've beaten Pursuer, go past his arena and drop down through the hole and pick up the Drangleic set. It includes an extremely good shield that you should probably use. The rest of the armor is also quite effective but it's very heavy, so on balance it's not really worth using.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
By the way, has anyone seen if Velstadt immediately powers up if you wear Raime's armor to his fight?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

lordfrikk posted:

Raime's armor has the same patterned cloth on the back as Velstadt's (though Raime's is almost completely torn off)

As an art direction thing the look of Raime's cloak (moreso than Velstadt's especially with the fraying and what is like another layer under it) reminded me of dark feathers, which squares with the fact that the Rebel's Greatshield has a raven on it; I'm sure some kooky lore speculator somewhere has drawn a connection between this and Velka/Dyna&Tillo/etc

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

OK yeah you aren't in CoC so that wasn't the problem.

The double sword thing is the Ring of Blades enhancing your melee damage, it's actually supposed to be an up arrow next to a sword but it's a crappy icon.

Now that you've beaten Pursuer, go past his arena and drop down through the hole and pick up the Drangleic set. It includes an extremely good shield that you should probably use. The rest of the armor is also quite effective but it's very heavy, so on balance it's not really worth using.

Oh sweet, I didn't see anything else up there past the birds nest, will head back up there now. Thanks man.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

By the way, has anyone seen if Velstadt immediately powers up if you wear Raime's armor to his fight?

IIRC he doesn't do anything special.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wonder if we'll get a new final boss if we get all the Crowns.

e: Didn't some lovely translation of Dark Souls 1's plot say that the objective of the game was to find crowns? I guess we've come full circle, huh?

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 2, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Read posted:

IIRC he doesn't do anything special.

Shame

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Elana should summon powered up ones. :getin:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I kinda want Acidian to stream his run through just so I can see what is going on with his weapon degradation. What if his game really is bugged and is extra hard and we're all being assholes.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I kinda want Acidian to stream his run through just so I can see what is going on with his weapon degradation. What if his game really is bugged and is extra hard and we're all being assholes.

Mystery

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

We're all assholes anyway, so it doesn't matter in the end. I'm still with the whole "He is really really bad at videogames" theory, but :iiam:

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

I am pretty bad at video games.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's prolly partially the bug tho and it's dumb to pretend like it isn't a suspect design choice leading to an extremely lovely bug that they can't/don't know how to fix

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Didn't some lovely translation of Dark Souls 1's plot say that the objective of the game was to find crowns? I guess we've come full circle, huh?

But still no immortal shadow dwarves.

STILL NO IMMORTAL SHADOW DWARVES. :doom:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I am really good at video games.

Perhaps...too good?

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

I am streaming my awful playing. Just continuing after defeating Pursuer and going back for the armor.

http://www.twitch.tv/kogtek

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vendrick has some interesting stuff to say after you beat the dlc. Both him and Grandahl note that you are Dark as gently caress. He starts musing on flame the same way McDuff does too. He also just goes ahead and spells out that the ages of fire and dark are cyclical, and says that the age of fire waning is what makes hollows and what makes the great souls start to pop up again. Also that becoming a true king won't do poo poo about the curse, so it seems that Kaathe was in fact lying about Gwyn's prolonging the age of fire being what caused the darksign.

quote:

STILL NO IMMORTAL SHADOW DWARVES.

Well they aren't immortal but there are plenty of shadow dwarves in the belfries. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 2, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Oh god, Elana can summon Velstadt? :gonk: That was a really unpleasant surprise.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Ravenfood posted:

Oh god, Elana can summon Velstadt? :gonk: That was a really unpleasant surprise.

it's rad, but ez tho, since he only has 3k health in ng+4 even

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Dear people I am sunbroing for,

Maybe if the Smelter Demon takes off a quarter of your health every time he hits you, you should reevaluate the efficacy of trying to block every attack.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Dear people I am sunbroing for,

Maybe if the Smelter Demon takes off a quarter of your health every time he hits you, you should reevaluate the efficacy of trying to block every attack.

But he only hits three times per combo, that means I'll have a quarter health left to chug estus on :downs:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If my HP is not at zero I can still salvage this fight. :colbert:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Shield users are scum.

Related note, why is the curved sword 2hand moveset so good and why the gently caress did I somehow think it was awful (I blame powerstancing). All those slashes look like they have fairly poor horizontal coverage but they seem to have some magic hitboxes that cause a huge zone of doom in 180 degrees in front of you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, Dark Souls 2 ate my brother's save so I guess we don't get to do co-op anymore. Between it completely loving over mine a couple months ago and this it's really lovely that the game doesn't just use cloud saves.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love shield users, they always try to block shield breaks multiple times in the same fight and have no clue what's happening. Or they do but don't know how to do anything else

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 3, 2014

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

It's even better when you you guard break them with the shield down, and they instinctively raise it up right before it connects.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Is powerstancing the Drakekeeper's Sword with the Warped Sword a viable combination, or is powerstancing the Washing Pole with the Warped Sword really the only way to go? Is powerstancing even that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Time_pants posted:

Is powerstancing the Drakekeeper's Sword with the Warped Sword a viable combination, or is powerstancing the Washing Pole with the Warped Sword really the only way to go? Is powerstancing even that good?

Yes.