Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I use App Annie because it is $0 but I would use something else if you're willing to spend > $0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I mainly just want to see how high my new game gets in the rankings, both in its categories and overall, preferably both daily and hourly. Like, with appFigures it showed me that one of my previous apps got all the way up to #15 in its category on iPad for about an hour when I made it free for a day, but I cancelled my appFigures account a long time ago.

edit: :lol: App Annie is based out of Hong Kong, don't really feel comfortable giving them access to my developer account.
fake edit 2: and I don't think I'm eligible for the free version, the game is made by me but it's for the LLC I started.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 28, 2014

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

I mainly just want to see how high my new game gets in the rankings, both in its categories and overall, preferably both daily and hourly. Like, with appFigures it showed me that one of my previous apps got all the way up to #15 in its category on iPad for about an hour when I made it free for a day, but I cancelled my appFigures account a long time ago.

edit: :lol: App Annie is based out of Hong Kong, don't really feel comfortable giving them access to my developer account.
fake edit 2: and I don't think I'm eligible for the free version, the game is made by me but it's for the LLC I started.

You can still use a free account as a corporation, and you create a second iTunes Connect account that can only access sales info. They even have a page about it on their FAQ. For free, I'm fairly pleased with them.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Their eligibility section in the TOS says:

But setting up a sales-only iTunes Connect account is something I hadn't thought of, thanks. Guess that'll be safe enough.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Is it just me or has iTunes Connect been super broken lately?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Ugh. My sales-only account isn't working with App Annie. In fact, it doesn't seem to be working at all. When I log in with it in iTunes Connect and try to view sales data, it says "Your account is pending. Try again later." and has been saying that for over an hour. :argh:

ITC has been extra flaky lately. Random 404s, etc.

edit: and yes, I clicked on the activation link in the e-mail ITC sent my sales-only account.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 28, 2014

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Is there any way I can guarantee that the code signature settings for a project will work and will continue to work? Alternatively: is there any way I can immediately analyze an IPA for signature issues, instead of going through the whole deploy/install/failure process again and again and again?

That poo poo keeps breaking. I change nothing, absolutely nothing, neither project settings nor do I do anything online to the provisioning profile/signing ids/etc., and the same identical configuration stops working. Refreshing the provisioning profiles from the Xcode settings does jack poo poo: sometimes it takes no less than deleting and re-creating the developer account to make Xcode unfuck itself

How can I avoid this from now on and forever? A tool to validate an IPA is all I ask for. I will loving write it if I have to, if anyone can point me to information on how the signature and provisioning profile are embedded and verified

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
That's not good. Are you using team provisioning profiles? I've never been able to get those to work.

Are you building these IPA's for the app store? Ad hoc? Development? Are your certs being invalidated?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Guys, remember a few years ago there was this big brouhaha about downloaded / temp content being deleted when the iOS did spring cleaning? People using various apps would download things to read later, but then iOS would clean it up, usually right before a flight or a train ride? ;-)

We have a PhoneGap app (ew) and we download some content, and on iOS only after a few weeks it disappears. Although our app still thinks it's there, so poo poo breaks. For me that seems like that problem, we're storing it in the wrong place or putting the wrong tags on it or something. Does anyone have an article about this or docs about the behaviour? My Google-fu is failing me.

Sorry, I'm not an iOS dev, I do backend work and occasionally prop up our gross PhoneGap app.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pivo posted:

Guys, remember a few years ago there was this big brouhaha about downloaded / temp content being deleted when the iOS did spring cleaning? People using various apps would download things to read later, but then iOS would clean it up, usually right before a flight or a train ride? ;-)

We have a PhoneGap app (ew) and we download some content, and on iOS only after a few weeks it disappears. Although our app still thinks it's there, so poo poo breaks. For me that seems like that problem, we're storing it in the wrong place or putting the wrong tags on it or something. Does anyone have an article about this or docs about the behaviour? My Google-fu is failing me.

Sorry, I'm not an iOS dev, I do backend work and occasionally prop up our gross PhoneGap app.

I haven't tried PhoneGap but maybe you can specify the importance/permanence of data?

quote:

* Only documents and other data that is user-generated, or that cannot otherwise be recreated by your application, should be stored in the <Application_Home>/Documents directory and will be automatically backed up by iCloud.
* Data that can be downloaded again or regenerated should be stored in the <Application_Home>/Library/Caches directory. Examples of files you should put in the Caches directory include database cache files and downloadable content, such as that used by magazine, newspaper, and map applications.
* Data that is used only temporarily should be stored in the <Application_Home>/tmp directory. Although these files are not backed up to iCloud, remember to delete those files when you are done with them so that they do not continue to consume space on the user’s device.
* Use the "do not back up" attribute for specifying files that should remain on device, even in low storage situations. Use this attribute with data that can be recreated but needs to persist even in low storage situations for proper functioning of your app or because customers expect it to be available during offline use. This attribute works on marked files regardless of what directory they are in, including the Documents directory. These files will not be purged and will not be included in the user's iCloud or iTunes backup. Because these files do use on-device storage space, your app is responsible for monitoring and purging these files periodically.

https://developer.apple.com/icloud/documentation/data-storage/index.html

So in not so many words, put the things that need to be there from session to session in the Documents directory. The rest can go in various Caches/tmp/etc dirs, depending on each case.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Doh004 posted:

That's not good. Are you using team provisioning profiles? I've never been able to get those to work.

Are you building these IPA's for the app store? Ad hoc? Development? Are your certs being invalidated?

Yes, team profiles. Building IPAs for ad-hoc deployment. No, the certificates are fine (after a painful renewal process last month)

Refreshing the provisioning profiles does nothing, I have to remove the Apple id and re-add it, then the profiles start to work again

Diagnosis is futile without better tools, the best I can get is cryptic, undocumented app installer errors from the device's console

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I'm implementing tilt controls in my game. I've got the game controls as follows: When the player tilts the device, the device calculates the angle that is downward, and the player moves in that direction. (the kFilteringFactor is just to smooth out twitches and jumps that the device might feel) Keep in mind that the device is held in portrait mode, and the device's X direction corresponds to the Y direction in the game world.

code:

_accelX = (accelerometerData.acceleration.x * kFilteringFactor) + (_accelX * (1.0 - kFilteringFactor)) ;
    _accelY = (accelerometerData.acceleration.y * kFilteringFactor) + (_accelY * (1.0 - kFilteringFactor)) ;
    _currentDeviceAngle = fmod((atan2f(_accelX, _accelY)*180/M_PI), 360);

The problem is that this requires the device to be completely horizontal, and most players didn't want to play the game completely horizontally. So i added a calibration factor, so the player can set the angle which is the "zero" point.

code:

_accelX = (accelerometerData.acceleration.x * kFilteringFactor) + (_accelX * (1.0 - kFilteringFactor)) ;
    _accelY = (accelerometerData.acceleration.y * kFilteringFactor) + (_accelY * (1.0 - kFilteringFactor)) ;
    _currentDeviceAngle = fmod((atan2f(_accelX - _calibrationX, _accelY)*180/M_PI), 360); 

This overall works well, but the problem is: as the player sets the _calibrationX variable closer to 90 degrees, the more the player must tilt the device in the X direction to get the same angle. For example if the player sets it at an 80 degree angle (i.e. almost vertically) the device must be tilted by about 3 time the amount as is needs to be when the device is horizontal. Anyone know a way to fix it can get the device regardless of the "zero" angle?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Is there a reason you aren't using the gyroscope?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
edit: iAd is easy to implement but the API is pretty limited if you don't want to show them all the time, but want an ad available right away when your app is ready to show ads. Also, iAd banner views are horrible CPU hogs that kill your game's performance, but they're better on iOS 8 (:ssh:). Also, your app won't get served any ads until an iAd team member looks at your app after it's been released (hope you bothered to set up some sort of ad mediation!)

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 2, 2014

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Hey, I wanna start getting access to people's calendar events. I know how to do it, but I'm curious as to how I can listen in to new calendar changes while my app isn't running and isn't in the background.

It seems that I'm not supposed to listen in to shared system resources such as the Address book or the Calendar in a background process? So does that mean I cannot turn on background fetching or push notification enabling and have it poll the calendar?

What I'm trying to prevent is requiring users to use our app in order to sync their calendars with our service.

Sorry to bring this up, but does anyone have any idea? The more and more I look into it, the more I don't think you're allowed access to EventKit resources while running in the background. Apple's documentation states your app is killed if its found attempting to access those resources. :(

hackbunny posted:

Yes, team profiles. Building IPAs for ad-hoc deployment. No, the certificates are fine (after a painful renewal process last month)

Refreshing the provisioning profiles does nothing, I have to remove the Apple id and re-add it, then the profiles start to work again

Diagnosis is futile without better tools, the best I can get is cryptic, undocumented app installer errors from the device's console

So everything is built fine and the provisioning profile successfully gets put onto the .ipa, but it fails when attempting to install onto the device?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Hey, I made a game, and it came out today! :woop: Thanks to everyone in this thread who's answered my many stupid questions.

The game is called Rocket Rover, and has you taking control of a dog wearing a jetpack that has guns on it. :vince:

It's like Flappy Bird, but with guns, and it's more about shooting than getting through pipes.

Since it's free, there's no reason not to check it out ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7eRsghAuoU

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 2, 2014

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!
Congratulations on shipping!!

Is that Sprite Kit?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Cocos2D-iPhone

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

Cocos2D-iPhone

Do you have any links for good resources to learn said? I'm going to be doing a couple games, and I think cocos2d is the way I'm leaning, but it's so hard for me to find good tutorials for anything that isn't version 0.9.x. I probably suck at google though.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Search for Cocos2D V3, it's got a rewritten renderer and very tight Chipmunk2D integration. The API is mostly the same as Cocos2D 2.x, except it does auto batching and a nifty new shader effects framework is coming in 3.2.

The Cocos2D-iphone/Cocos2D-Swift documentation page has getting started tutorials. I'll dig up some more when I'm not phone posting.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 3, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
As to good Cocos2D resources, MakeGamesWithUs has some decent free tutorials for beginners. And there's always Ray Wenderlich's site (scroll down to the Cocos2D stuff) and Steffen Itterheim's site for his book (which is more aimed at selling the terrible book and his Kobold2D stuff that sits on top of Cocos2D).

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Doc Block posted:

As to good Cocos2D resources, MakeGamesWithUs has some decent free tutorials for beginners. And there's always Ray Wenderlich's site (scroll down to the Cocos2D stuff) and Steffen Itterheim's site for his book (which is more aimed at selling the terrible book and his Kobold2D stuff that sits on top of Cocos2D).

Thanks so much for these and that other link. That makegameswithus is a million times better than anything I found last time I tried picking up Cocos2D

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Doh004 posted:

So everything is built fine and the provisioning profile successfully gets put onto the .ipa, but it fails when attempting to install onto the device?

That's right. All the loving time. In fact, an ipa that used to work (personally tested) suddenly stopped working today. I never had so much trouble with code signatures on other platforms, goddamn it

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

hackbunny posted:

In fact, an ipa that used to work (personally tested) suddenly stopped working today.

How old was the IPA/did it cross a developer account renewal date? At my old company we had an Enterprise account for in-house deployment, but IPAs were only valid for a year at most and had to be rebuilt/resigned when we renewed the account. I don't think there's any way around this.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Froist posted:

How old was the IPA/did it cross a developer account renewal date?

Days or weeks old, at most. I will probably end up coding a checking tool myself

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

In iOS 8, how do you set who is the parent view controller that is responsible for the new rotation handling viewWillTransitionToSize: method?

I launch my app with a loading screen root view controller, and when it's ready, set the window's root controller to a tab bar controller. The loading screen does pick up the transition callback, but the tab bar controller doesn't.

edit: use the new showViewController:sender: instead of presentViewController:animated:completion:

lord funk fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 5, 2014

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

So the old rotation methods will still call with iOS 8 base SDK? I guess I really don't know what NS_DEPRECATED_IOS(3_0,8_0) means. This is really scary - will they stop working at some point?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

lord funk posted:

So the old rotation methods will still call with iOS 8 base SDK? I guess I really don't know what NS_DEPRECATED_IOS(3_0,8_0) means. This is really scary - will they stop working at some point?

"Deprecation" (when used by Apple to describe Objective-C framework calls) seems to mean "we'd prefer you stop using this, but there's a decent chance we'll never actually remove it". Basically, it's a threat that is rarely realized. Historically deprecations have been removed from some future major iOS version (I believe; haven't seen any official policy). So your view controller rotation methods probably won't suddenly disappear in iOS 8.0.1.

NS_DEPRECATED_IOS(3_0,8_0) means "introduced in iOS 3.0, deprecated as of iOS 8.0".

That said, your life will tend to be easier if you move away from deprecated calls. But it's not always easy or obvious how to do that, and it might not even be an option if you intend to support several major iOS versions.

edit: There's a bunch of API deprecated in iOS 3.0 that we still have with us. UITableViewCell has a bunch (from before the textLabel etc. properties were exposed).

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 5, 2014

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Thanks for the explanation.

Is anyone else getting white cell backgrounds and white tableview backgrounds sporadically in iOS 8 builds? I've seen that cells should now force their non-white background color with explicit -tableView:willDisplayCell: setting, but the entire tableview background? This seems so contrary to how I thought views' properties update.

duck pond
Sep 13, 2007

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I'm implementing tilt controls in my game

You should have a look at the tilt controls in Ridiculous Fishing. They're really good and work at a wide range of angles. Using the gyro you should be able to get something reasonably unified and simple without requiring the player to calibrate their game manually (which sounds like quite a bit of a pain point to me)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

lord funk posted:

Is anyone else getting white cell backgrounds and white tableview backgrounds sporadically in iOS 8 builds?
I've tried setting the tableView.backgroundColor to clear in -viewWillAppear, and the cell's backgrounds to clear in -tableview:cellWillDisplay:, and this is still what I'm getting (every once and a while):

[attached image]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

What's horrible is that if you put the tableView.backgroundColor = [UIColor clearColor] in -viewDidAppear, you see it flash white when it appears.

[tiny gif]

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

lord funk posted:

What's horrible is that if you put the tableView.backgroundColor = [UIColor clearColor] in -viewDidAppear, you see it flash white when it appears.
Well that makes perfect sense. Your original problem however does not make sense. File a radar?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

status posted:

Well that makes perfect sense. Your original problem however does not make sense. File a radar?

Yep filed. There's one post on the Apple Dev Forums from July that says its simulator only, so maybe I need to stop worrying about it.

Just in case any one else runs into it: trying to get around it with appearance setting doesn't work as some suggest.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
So, @3x huh?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
But I don't wanna learn to use autolayout.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Autolayout isn't so bad now, so long as you don't have to do any autolayout in code.

So of course you have to do autolayout in code now, thanks to size classes.

Also, looks like we can't have completely different view controllers for iPad anymore. Not everybody uses a master/detail view controller Apple :rolleyes:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Gimme pressure sensitive iPads now now now now I want it now.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Also, looks like we can't have completely different view controllers for iPad anymore. Not everybody uses a master/detail view controller Apple :rolleyes:

I got really nervous watching the resizable stuff get introduced this year. I get why the attendees clapped and were excited for it, but in reality it's 'use autolayout / storyboards or else.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Is Watch actually pressure sensitive, or is it just going by the touch size?