Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Sure, but every other post? Really? Just stick it in the OP in big blinking red letters and get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Game bad.

Game. BAD.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about Mechwarrior Online. All right, here is how I feel about Mechwarrior Online:

If when you say MW:O you mean the CW vaporware, the endless development cycle, the terrible use of resources and technology, the frequent cocaine use, that defiles innocent devs, dethrones reason, is incapable of balancing even a single weapon dynamic, implements Ghost Heat, and grabs cash with P2W schemes, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the terrible game that topples the gaming man and woman from worthwhile games, transforms quality gaming time into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say MWO you mean the stomping robots, the good lasers, the channel trolling, the squawking, the pubbie tears, that are consumed when goon fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Mecha Shiva; if you mean the breaking of game dynamics puts the a pair of gauss cannons in the old gentleman's K2 on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the game which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that game, the deliberately avoiding spending any actual money on of which deprives PGI of any meaningful income while still enjoying the fruits of the money dumb pubs spend on idiot clan mechs 2 months earlier, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm really digging the Nova. Doesn't feel too bad now that you can buy it for Cbills. We get Summoners today or next week?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Ha, I got a Shadow Hawk, which I never touched before but seems to be the better Hunchback compared to a vanilla Hunchback. Tell me how to ruin this nice looking Robot with ridiculous builds, preferably something jump-jetty with close range weaponry.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.

Feindfeuer posted:

Ha, I got a Shadow Hawk, which I never touched before but seems to be the better Hunchback compared to a vanilla Hunchback. Tell me how to ruin this nice looking Robot with ridiculous builds, preferably something jump-jetty with close range weaponry.

Standard engine, ac20, 2x medium lasers is my go-to build. As many can attest when I get in a groove I'm a loving artist with that poo poo. I've also run one with an xl engine 2x ac2, 1x ac5 because the pattern it ends up tapping out seems to be erratic and profoundly annoying to enemies while they're trying to engage other heavier targets.

The shadow hawk does quite well as a peek-the-peak type shooter since the ballistic mounts are high up on the torso. As with most mediums the rule is to play it safe and don't get focused. As a support/flanking type rifleman unit it's a lot of fun.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Be very careful with a nova purchase. The Nova gets to be ridiculous right now on account of clan lasers being somewhat obscene, especially for their ranges. But I hear there's PGI plans in the works to 'tweak' those lasers.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Feindfeuer posted:

Dumb

Kavros posted:

Be very careful with a nova purchase. The Nova gets to be ridiculous right now on account of clan lasers being somewhat obscene, especially for their ranges. But I hear there's PGI plans in the works to 'tweak' those lasers.

The trial Nova is a good look at what the mech can do, and how hot it'll get. I recommend hanging with a blob, and being a fatties wingman. Also, turn your mouse DPI/sensitivity waaaay down. It's easy to smear the damage all over a mech, you want your mouse to be rock steady on a single enemy section for the entire beam duration.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 2, 2014

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
With the current clan ER lasers, you can do some really mean nasty things as a Nova wingman. You wait till your buddy gets in a fight, then you scootch up and then fire 12 ER smalls (in two groups) into a chosen component.

As far as Clan mediums go, though, a SRM stormcrow might be the winner. I'm not sure yet.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

veedubfreak posted:

I'm really digging the Nova. Doesn't feel too bad now that you can buy it for Cbills. We get Summoners today or next week?

The Summoner is a horrible mech though, for real. I'd just save for a better Clan mech really.

Kavros posted:

With the current clan ER lasers, you can do some really mean nasty things as a Nova wingman. You wait till your buddy gets in a fight, then you scootch up and then fire 12 ER smalls (in two groups) into a chosen component.

As far as Clan mediums go, though, a SRM stormcrow might be the winner. I'm not sure yet.

The Nova works well with 6xERML 4xCMG. It's basically a bigger, slower firestarter with the laser range of IS Large lasers. Just use the range to your advantage until mechs are cracked open, and then the machineguns will scoop out their insides pretty fast.

Stormcrows are pretty good as well. I don't have any but they can be built rather versatile, have better hitboxes, and are pretty fast.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Stormcrow can do 5 streak6 or srm6. It can do 7 medium lasers or a giant cannon and 4-5 medium lasers. It is baller.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

imperialparadox posted:

The Summoner is a horrible mech though, for real. I'd just save for a better Clan mech really.

The Nova works well with 6xERML 4xCMG. It's basically a bigger, slower firestarter with the laser range of IS Large lasers. Just use the range to your advantage until mechs are cracked open, and then the machineguns will scoop out their insides pretty fast.

Stormcrows are pretty good as well. I don't have any but they can be built rather versatile, have better hitboxes, and are pretty fast.

I'm running it with 6 erml in the right arm and a cmpl in the right torso then filled to the brim with heatsinks. I tried to figure out how to jam in machine guns but that requires me to put heatsinks in the left arm.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpeedRazor posted:

I'll take a unit invite. Same name as here. Are we any closer to MPBT 3025's Planetary Warfare?

Feindfeuer posted:

I just realized I still got my founder premium time, maybe I should use that to get some money for the clan mech c-bill release. Also I'd guess a Unit invite would be nice too, just so I get teamkilled more often once unit-tags get added. Ingame name is Feindfeuer, because I'm a very creative person.

A.o.D. posted:

Yo, send a WoL invite to "A o D" in game.

Invites are out. Go forth and get banned.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Community Warfare is something that is being lurched towards in really tenuous increments.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Clan lasers are godawful right now, generating ruinous amounts of heat and taking too long to do their damage. The boosted range is good, but only the ER larges have enough to really be a sniping weapon, and firing more than two will screw you. If you fill the crits in a Nova with double heatsinks, you still can't sustain firing six of the mediums, and making them even hotter seems to be on the horizon.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
IS Medium Laser: 5 damage, 4 heat, 1.0 beam duration, 270 base range.
Clan ER Medium Laser: 7 damage, 5 heat, 1.3 beam duration, 450 base range.

You can fire six IS ML's before hitting ghost heat, which would be for a total of 30 damage and 24 heat.

Let's say that you wanted to use Clan ERML's, but without running any hotter than the IS ML's. You can decide to fire five of them, which generates 25 heat (which is one over the IS grouping that we are comparing) but...you put out 35 damage for almost the same amount of heat, with the benefit of a much higher effective range and only a .3 second longer beam duration, which isn't that bad really. I really don't see how you can say that Clan lasers are horrible given that.

You even get similar comparisons when you bring in other Clan weapons, if you think outside the box a bit when making comparisons:

IS Large Laser: 9 damage, 7 heat, 1.0 beam duration, 450 base range.
Clan LPL: 11.8 damage, 8 heat, 1.3 beam duration, 600 base range.

Again, the Clan laser has slightly longer duration, and running two of the Clan LPL's will be slightly hotter than two IS LL's, but the Clan lasers outperform the IS weapons in every other way. It's 23.6 damage for 16 heat with 2xCLPL compared to 18 damage for 14 heat with the IS weapons.

One of the best Timberwolf builds currently is 2xCLPL's with 6(or 5)xCERML's. With full weapons that's an alpha of 65.6 damage (depending on how steady your laser aim is) for 46 heat. You have at least two volleys of this before you have to cool down, and it doesn't really take that long to soak that heat (or you can just go into chain-firing to keep up pressure). It's pretty easy to poo poo out 700-1000 damage with kills using that build.

If they keep nerfing Clan lasers, then yeah, eventually they might be really bad, but currently they are pretty good, like just about everything else Clan-wise.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Alright, I bought my first Clan Mech (for CBills, let's not be stupid here...) and went with the Nova S. If I'm understanding OmniPods correctly I could put the Nova Prime Arms on it and run 12 Clan ER Smalls. Not saying it's necessarily a good idea, but I could do 12 ER SmLas + 4 CMGs?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Why grab a Nova when you can have the faster, better armored Stormcrow and still mount one of the Nova's six medium laser arms backed up by an UAC/20? (unless PGI left that variant out, which wouldn't surprise me)

They're both mediums but the Stormcrow has always been secretly OP in tabletop.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 2, 2014

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I haven't been able to find even an mc price for the Stormcrow, but I'm not able to get in the client right now. Can it be obtained for mc without a dumb pack for a quarter G? Is it like 5000 mc?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Why grab a Nova when you can have the faster, better armored Stormcrow and still mount one of the Nova's six medium laser arms backed up by an UAC/20? (unless PGI left that variant out, which wouldn't surprise me)

When I can grab a Stormcrow for Cbills, I'll consider it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Paramemetic posted:

I haven't been able to find even an mc price for the Stormcrow, but I'm not able to get in the client right now. Can it be obtained for mc without a dumb pack for a quarter G? Is it like 5000 mc?

No idea what the MC price will be but it's not available for MC until the last week of September which is also when the Dire Wolf comes out for CB.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of direwolves, remember that Jagermech with 6xAC2 that PGI seemed to really hate? There is now this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=171&l=7cf080c515536914716db1e89593ecd22ee48686

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Paramemetic posted:

Even when the game was fun, buying robots for MC was literally retarded. Considering buying one now makes me wonder if you might not need to be evaluated for an intracranial mass.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

PGI left it out because of reasons.

I'm currently enjoying running around in a stormcrow packing TAG, active probe, 3x ssrm6, 2x ssrm4, and enough ammo to last a fight. It's a terrible all purpose brawler, but it's a terror against light mechs (even ecm and ams equipped ones) and once you get to the late part of a fight where armor is in short supply, those srms really leave a mark.

Also you can be the biggest kill stealing bastard, which is a special joy.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sanguine about that Stormcrow variant.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Took out a firebrand with 2xac5 4xml and the biggest xl engine I could fit. Pubbies are so bad I get away with a lot of stupid poo poo and still do good damage and get decent kills.

I... I had fun. :derp:

No poptarting so far... a drat miracle? Or did pgi do something right?

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Mindblast posted:

Took out a firebrand with 2xac5 4xml and the biggest xl engine I could fit. Pubbies are so bad I get away with a lot of stupid poo poo and still do good damage and get decent kills.

Poptarting is pretty much dead, folks tend to blob and snipe until one team is emboldened enough to brawl.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mindblast posted:

They added fall damage to bigger mechs.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

That variant is in definitely in the game. I've seen people running 4 ER ML + UAC/20.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

UoI posted:

They added fall damage to bigger mechs.

They added it for all mechs, prepare to leg yourself in a light mech without jumpjets.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

axelsoar posted:

They added it for all mechs, prepare to leg yourself in a light mech without jumpjets.

it's been toned down a bit, but yeah you need to be careful. There's a fall damage reducing module if you can bear their hideous module interface (and have 6 mill cbills or w/e to spare).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Pycckuu posted:

Speaking of direwolves, remember that Jagermech with 6xAC2 that PGI seemed to really hate? There is now this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=171&l=7cf080c515536914716db1e89593ecd22ee48686

:iit:

Think I saw one the other night. Melted anything that it looked at.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I decided that I was going to elite something, anything, goddamnit. So I bought a pair of Cataphracts while they were on c-bill sale, to augment my good ol Marmoset. It cost me somewhere close to 16 million (including the DHS tax), which was most of the money I'd earned in this month of screwing around with this game. Loving the grind.

However, the Ultra Marmoset (3x UAC/5) is still fantastically fun to play with. I don't care if the guns jam constantly, it still shits damage out. I just chill to the side of a fatty, then gnaw someone's arm or leg off when they come in. My personal goal is to leave as many weaponless popsicles roaming the map as possible. See also: Boom Jager

Someone send Spazzy Pete a WOL invite.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

UoI posted:

Invites are out. Go forth and get banned.

Can I get in on some of that WoL (or reasonable fascimile thereof) action? SamSparx in-game. I'm crap, but I can drink and the alcohol fumes explode prettily.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Someone send Spazzy Pete a WOL invite.

Fumblemouse posted:

Can I get in on some of that WoL (or reasonable fascimile thereof) action? SamSparx in-game. I'm crap, but I can drink and the alcohol fumes explode prettily.

You're both in.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A.o.D. posted:

Ah, I wouldn't know. I haven't logged into the game.

I will honestly say that was probably a smart move, though. The Stormcrow gives the firepower of a heavy to something as fast as most lights.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kingcom posted:

That variant is in definitely in the game. I've seen people running 4 ER ML + UAC/20.

The canon version is 1 uac/20 in one arm, and 6 ERML (a nova arm) The variant you've seen (and I've piloted) has 4 or 5 ERML scattered throughout the rest of the mech.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Feindfeuer posted:

AC/20 + ER PPC
3 SRM6 + 3 Medlas (only works one variant)
2 UAC/5s 4 Streak/2s
LRM20 LRM15 LRM10 TAG+Artemis
Gauss + PPC

Probably a lot more out there but the Shadow Hawk is pretty much the best IS medium in the game hands down, which makes it the best of the worst.

daert1
Nov 11, 2012

I have seen things that you people cannot imagine,
Thunt crying on an unposted blog,
An otter drawn by a madman,
A she-beast screeching on the moon in June,
All lost, like GeoCities in rain
time to die
:suicide:

OAquinas posted:

:iit:

Think I saw one the other night. Melted anything that it looked at.

DWF-PRIME

more DAKKA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

If you dare drop some ammo you could easily jam 4 ER Smalls in the arms, which are actually pretty decent weapons.

• Locked thread