Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Buggy ring race? It sure is! And you get to drive a car, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dr. Buttass posted:

If the population of Soleanna is so credulous that a bunch of robots can pass for ghosts I'm honestly kind of surprised that Eggman hasn't taken the place over before the game even starts. This place is just loving ripe for some Scooby-Doo poo poo.

You have to hand it to the guy, he saw ghost robots and didn't run in terror, he calmly stood 10 feet away until a hedgehog came.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kingdom Valley. This is hell. Whether it was the level, a lack of skill, fatigue, whatever, this level became hell. So strap in for a Sonic 06 at its best. An example: Despite the commentary being done in post I still got very angry by the end.

Part 12 (Welcome to Hell): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPTtHAy0JYw

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So is there a particular reason that the vehicles slowly die as you use them? The other LP of this game had no end of trouble during that one Radical level that Shadow goes through because of this mechanic that may or not be on purpose?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Your wish... is my command.

IBLIS...

...TRIGGER!!!!!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So is there a particular reason that the vehicles slowly die as you use them? The other LP of this game had no end of trouble during that one Radical level that Shadow goes through because of this mechanic that may or not be on purpose?
Remember how a tiny splinter off a random box during the tornado mach speed section was enough to kill Sonic? Imagine that with debris off poorly conceived crumbly obstacles and every single wall, then multiply it with a damage system built on the physics engine of this game...

Kingdom Valley for Shadow is some ridiculous garbage even by the "standards" of Sonic 2006. The glider is probably the best part because it's really loving easy and inconsequential, it's just downhill from there. Rogue Rouge Eyeshadow's part is so badly that a lot of first-time players will get stuck in her blasted segment for hours because you have to destroy that window, and
a) you don't know that you can destroy windows
b) you don't even know that you can put bombs on walls
c) seriously the sense of direction in that part is about as good as in the loving jungle level with Silver, aka completely nonexistant

The hovercraft is so ill-conceived it's not even funny (when you're playing). Stuff falling down you have to dodge which instantly kills you is bad enough, but the camera is such garbage (or rather the obstacle is designed in a way you literally cannot see coming even were the camera better) that you kind of have to pray for the deaths to not be random. Or memorize safe zones. Or break the intended path because gently caress this game's bullshit. Thankfully it's short.

That the free part on foot might be the worst from a pure frustration perspective is incredibly telling. Things that kill you here are 90% the game's duct-tape-and-hope engine, as it has way too many death pits with zero deviation - in fact, the entire affair is so disgustingly linear that the good old "if only the game hadn't been rushed" defense falls flat on its face again. The level isn't designed in any way resembling a Sonic game, or to put it more broadly, a level - it's a string of badly made obstacles and fighting rooms with no difficulty curve whatsoever interspersed with hopefully-playing-themselves segments clearly betraying how they made the environment first and then struggled to find any path through the nonsense-fest of pillars and church windows.
Tons of terrible details like things just crumbling underneath you without any warning, the impossible homing attack onto a freshly introduced and never tutorialized gimmick and the entire trainwreck of the level's end just serve as the cherry on top of a pile of poorly textured rubble which doesn't even have the decency to splash into the water like any good poo poo would do.

Oh and all of the above nonsense is an entire 10-minute laugh riot, not to forget that little tidbit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Your wish... is my command.

IBLIS...

...TRIGGER!!!!!

Did I start referencing the Steve Miller Band without realizing it? Seems like something I'd do when I was angry.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Did I start referencing the Steve Miller Band without realizing it? Seems like something I'd do when I was angry.
No, but the game does involving flying on eagles and going to the future. And you did want IMPACT FONT.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Time keeps on slippin,slippin,slippin

OFF THE loving EDGE OF THE LEVEL!

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I can't get over the fact that of all the poo poo they just straight up ignored, someone went to the trouble to include the detail of Shadow turning to look behind him when he reverses in a vehicle.

I think it was MassRafTer posted:

Well she works for a company called GUN

I am like 90% certain "GUN" is the U.N.

Make up your own mind about what that says about Rouge.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Screw Rouge, but what this says about the UN?
edit: If you wanted memes, you should've gone with something like Battits instead. No, wait, I got it, Titsbat!
All hail Eyeshadow.
If nothing else, it seems her controls work the intended way?

edit2: Talk about the valley of Shadow of death. Need to finish watching before posting.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 3, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

anilEhilated posted:

Screw Rouge, but what this says about the UN?
edit: If you wanted memes, you should've gone with something like Battits instead. No, wait, I got it, Titsbat!
All hail Eyeshadow.
If nothing else, it seems her controls work the intended way?

edit2: Talk about the valley of Shadow of death. Need to finish watching before posting.

I usually hate catch phrases and hated myself when I tried to make it "a thing" but then I looked at her face and thought "it's so perfect, keep using it. Be insufferable."

She controls pretty well, the bombs are really effective when you master them (I never have) but there's some annoying things about her. You can probably see in the video how she just won't stick to certain surfaces. I'd rather play as her than Knuckles, her attacks are less finicky.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I kept racking my brain if I was just imagining things or thinking of something else, but doesn't Rouge have a move with which she throws a flurry of bombs in every direction? It's gently caress-all useful in most cases, but maybe against some enemy stacks it's mildly better than doing them one after another.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Jump up and hold the button down maybe? I remember Pokecapn do it alot during Eyeshadow's section.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
So earlier I showed how Blaze can play through Silver's section of Crisis City. Guess what, Silver can play through Blaze's section. He can also visit the end of the level in the first section of Crisis City, although nothing has loaded and you can't beat it. Check out this bonus video to see that and Silver attempting to run on a dash pad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1hS-yJwTpo

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm literally downloading Sonic Generations right now AND have just finished Sonic 3 on my DS cart. I think Sonic 3 is terribad but it of course can't hold a candle to this nonsense. Now to soon play something actually good again. Oh yeah. That's one good thing about Sonic 06, it makes you appreciate the finer things in life.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What are the good Sonic games?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

As a Sonic fan, I can safely tell you that there aren't any.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SelenicMartian posted:

As far as "good enough," Colors and Generations to their thing rather well.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Sonic Generations is pretty much the most fun I've had in a platformer ever.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I played my share of platformers and Generations blew me away. It's easily in the Top 10, not quite Rayman Origins but really, really loving good. Haven't played anything after it, but it also shatters the potential competition of any other Sonic game. Colours is fine, but not quite as astoundingly well done as Generations.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Sonic R

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Game's loving gorgeous, too!

(I need to fiddle with my graphics settings...)

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Croccers posted:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

This guy gets it

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and Sonic Generations are probably the only two I've actually cared about enough to not only finish but also replay.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SelenicMartian posted:

This one.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
You're all wrong, Somari is the best Sonic game. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. :unsmigghh:

The Genesis ones and then it's just a slow decline from there with people debating along the way which ones are good or bad or mediocre but they'll never come to an agreement.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
For me, about less than a third of Sonic Adventures 2 and the Chao Garden were pretty fun, which is better than some other 3D Sonic games.

Colours and Generations do seem to be the best 3D Sonic games from what I've seen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
According to Jack Packard and Rich Evans from Red Letter Media no Sonic games were good Sonic games and Sonic only stuck in popular culture because he functioned more as a console-selling mascot than as the star of a decent video game like say Mario was.

Although, to be fair, they both absolutely loving suck at playing the Genesis Sonic games. The spin dash feature seems to elude them across all four games for some reason. :confused: Still, it's worth watching the video just to hear Rich Evans shriek "gently caress YOU TAILS!" halfway through.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

As a kid I never had a console to play Sonic on or knew anyone who had one. It was Nintendo all the way here.

I did watch his cartoon, though.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Sonic 3 & Knuckles was definitely the series high point but Generations was also fantastic. I don't think any game has been as much of an abject failure as Lost World, though; plenty of Sonic games since the end of the Genesis era have been bad, but they were mostly still enjoyable in a corny, stupid way, or in the case of this game in a weirdly masochistic corny, stupid way. Lost World is not even enjoyable in how corny and stupid it is.

All that said, the original Sonic the Hedgehog was literally my first video game so I've always had a soft spot for the little bastard.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Wow, that's literally the very first opinion on Lost World I've read. Dunno if that says something about the game's quality or the Wii U's sales numbers (it's exclusive, right?).

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, I can't understand the idea that Sonic 3 is better than Sonic Generations. I played Sonic 3 for the first time shortly after playing Generations and it felt like such a letdown by comparison.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

We're back to Sonic's story as he faces off with Iblis. Then it's back to the present where we get some scoops that Eggman might be at the train station. We can't be concerned with that though, there's side quests to be done!

Part 13 (Iblis and the Dying Newspaper Industry): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrLLQTiHWYs

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Honestly, I can't understand the idea that Sonic 3 is better than Sonic Generations. I played Sonic 3 for the first time shortly after playing Generations and it felt like such a letdown by comparison.
Sonic 3 has this strange idea that deathtraps you can't see coming are somehow cool and good to have in every single level. If you're lucky, the gently caress you springs hidden in walls etc. will only punt you into enemies, not into pits. It's also ridiculously style over substance, with every level requiring tons of gimmicky gadgets that only ever waste your time (the most egregious example, of course, being That Barrel and yes it stumped me when I first played Sonic 3 in TYOOL 2012).
Apart from all these design paradigms which I really don't agree with, it also has at least half quite disgustingly awful levels. Marble Garden being the most obvious one.
I think the &Knuckles part is far better, mostly because the level quality is not quite as uneven, and they go full retard in style on some of them. Dark Ghost Pyramid with sand filling up and swing-off-the-wall-things and also timing button puzzles? All at the same time? It's almost charming in how ridiculous it is and the tight design required for nonsense like that...helps?

EDIT: Oh hey new video! Iblis is a loving awful boss, holy poo poo! THAT is some waste of everyone's time!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 4, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Patter Song posted:

It's pretty unfair to compare games that way. Games are a product of their time. Sonic 3 and Knuckles has flaws, but comparing it to Generations which is so different doesn't seem fair. The Sonic games are kind of like Donkey Kong Count 1 and 3 in the sense they were such products of their times they didn't age as gracefully, but in the end the originals were still good games, just not perfect. Sonic Adventure is the same way, possibly worse because 90s 3D games have aged so poorly. At the time it was still a good game, it was well reviewed, people bought it and liked it. It looked really good and had the most rocking soundtrack of all time. It had gaping holes in it even then, but it was still a good game.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
I must have watched too much of the other Sonic 06 lp because the words "radical train" immediately stared giving me flashbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Simply Simon posted:

Sonic 3 has this strange idea that deathtraps you can't see coming are somehow cool and good to have in every single level. If you're lucky, the gently caress you springs hidden in walls etc. will only punt you into enemies, not into pits. It's also ridiculously style over substance, with every level requiring tons of gimmicky gadgets that only ever waste your time (the most egregious example, of course, being That Barrel and yes it stumped me when I first played Sonic 3 in TYOOL 2012).
Apart from all these design paradigms which I really don't agree with, it also has at least half quite disgustingly awful levels. Marble Garden being the most obvious one.
I think the &Knuckles part is far better, mostly because the level quality is not quite as uneven, and they go full retard in style on some of them. Dark Ghost Pyramid with sand filling up and swing-off-the-wall-things and also timing button puzzles? All at the same time? It's almost charming in how ridiculous it is and the tight design required for nonsense like that...helps?

EDIT: Oh hey new video! Iblis is a loving awful boss, holy poo poo! THAT is some waste of everyone's time!

It's Robotnik's deadly speed traps! They're totally in the manual dude!

Naw but for real I'm not going to pretend they're perfect by any stretch but they're pretty good for what they are. Like at the time a lot of the gimmick stuff is stuff that people weren't really doing a lot with. Sonic games have a habit of being really experimental and trying out new poo poo; the problem that makes a lot of Sonic games really bad is that in the last decade and a half or so their experiments are all in "fixing poo poo that ain't broke while trying to make the stuff that is broke work without fixing it".

I am not going to defend That Barrel, though. No one is ever going to defend That Barrel, except maybe Cybershell, who is dumb and wrong and wrongly dumb.

• Locked thread