Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
"Ippo!! You're 10,000 years too early to be challenging the world!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
This would instantly become the greatest manga in the world if they acknowledge that nobody at the gym is a good coach, and the only people that have any success there are either geniuses, mutants with freakish strength, or both.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno, this time seems like it might be different. Particularly the coach thinking of the Woli fight, which seemed to indicate that he knows their current strategy is awful and will lead to Ippo getting brain damage.

Maybe he'll start giving him training to be more like Woli.

-Ippo.
-Yes coach?
-Here, have a banana.

Boogaleeboo posted:

This would instantly become the greatest manga in the world if they acknowledge that nobody at the gym is a good coach, and the only people that have any success there are either geniuses, mutants with freakish strength, or both.

well, there is a reason why they had never had a champion before Takamura. They do suck (and know it).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ippo leaves to go be trained by Miyata's father.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I'm on vol 39, and I just don't understand how the matches are made. So Geromichi has been boxing for 4 years total, but competed for only 2, has had 8 matches and now he can challenge Ippo, the featherweight champion? How can it work like that? Shouldn't it take way more time and fight? Also, he can be an dangerous opponent to Ippo, but how come he has become that good in only 2 years?

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 1, 2014

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'm on vol 39, and I just don't understand how the matches are made. So Geromichi has been boxing for 4 years total, but competed for only 2, has had 8 matches and now he can challenge Ippo, the featherweight champion? How can it work like that? Shouldn't it take way more time and fight? Also, he can be an dangerous opponent to Ippo, but how come he has become that good in only 2 years?

Japan is a small country, with a small amount of professional fighters is my guess. I mean, Ippo just got a harsh reality check: the rest of the world is really that much better.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

ManOfTheYear posted:

He improved so drastically primarily because the plot calls for it. If I remember right, he was also cheating - the way he moves the opponent's hands with his palm for the solar plexus blow is against the rules, I believe. But mostly he got better because the plot called for it, and he got to challenge Ippo by making his way to the top 10 of the featherweight rankings, which earned him the right to challenge for the title. (Ippo didn't actually have to accept that challenge, but he did.)

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

Japan is a small country, with a small amount of professional fighters is my guess. I mean, Ippo just got a harsh reality check: the rest of the world is really that much better.

Small? Wikipedia says Japan has a population of almost 127 million. I live in Finland and there's 5 million of us. That's small. Russia has almost 144 million inhabitants and it's a huge country, the populations not much smaller to Japan's. Cuba has only 12 million and that country is famous for it's boxers. There should be a whole bunch of good boxer's in Japan, but maybe it just isn't too popular in Japan, there are a billion combat sports to attend to.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 1, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ManOfTheYear posted:

Small? Wikipedia says Japan has a population of almost 127 million. I live in Finland and there's 5 million of us. That's small. Russia has almost 144 million inhabitants and it's a huge country, the populations not much smaller to Japan's. Cuba has only 12 million and that country is famous for it's boxers. There should be a whole bunch of good boxer's in Japan, but maybe it just isn't too popular in Japan, there are a billion combat sports to attend to.

Manga's not real.

Also they mention that he challenged a bunch of dudes faster than he should have and really punished his body a lot to move down the weight classes and up the rankings as fast as he did..

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

ManOfTheYear posted:

The size of the sport isn't necessarily proportional with the size of the population. AFAIK boxing isn't really that popular in Japan.

For a similar example, see soccer in the US.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManOfTheYear posted:

Kamogawa can be bribed to provide a fight against the champion. Geromichi took every legal and illegal drug possible to pump himself up.

That's the harsh reality of boxing.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

tbp posted:

The size of the sport isn't necessarily proportional with the size of the population. AFAIK boxing isn't really that popular in Japan.

For a similar example, see soccer in the US.

Yes, this is more what i meant really. There's not really the history in Japan, and as far as I know there's not many champs who've been Japanese. They're more into baseball and wrestling as far as i know.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Ippo starts getting trained exclusively by Takamura and improves his hand speed by constantly jerking off.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i want an ippo takamura spar out of this. even if takamura is top weight class

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
How come almost every time Ippo spars he gets his rear end handed to him but he still wins the real matches? Also, do real boxers get hit as much as Ippo? I'd think a real person would have died five times over already.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ManOfTheYear posted:

How come almost every time Ippo spars he gets his rear end handed to him but he still wins the real matches? Also, do real boxers get hit as much as Ippo? I'd think a real person would have died five times over already.

Plot

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Like it's really the only way to explain it. There's genuinely no chance that not one fighter couldn't resist the temptation to "fight him at his own game" and start slugging it out with Ippo. They should have never had this most recent fight have that bit in it, I would have preferred to see Gonzales just casually move around Ippo and knock him out with a counter because his poo poo is so stupid. Look at the top fighters of today, there's a few brawlers yeah, but the technical skill is ludicrous and the world's best fighter is utterly incredible at dodging and countering to the point where an Ippo fighter would be obliterated. That doesn't make for a great story, but it's hard to buy "run at the guy" has worked up until the point where he almost because the #2 featherweight in the world lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This would be interesting for character development if Morikawa hadn't spent literal decades defining Ippo as a boxer who gets by with very solid basics and a ridiculous physical core.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Fabricated posted:

This would be interesting for character development if Morikawa hadn't spent literal decades defining Ippo as a boxer who gets by with very solid basics and a ridiculous physical core.

Just think how many times Ippo has said he is going back to the basics for his matches, and how it always turns into a ridiculous slug-fest with Ippo winning after taking enough punches to turn his face into hamburger. Maybe his weakness is he can't take on a world ranker only utilizing the basics and not bothering with technique.

If Kamogawa was any good at his job then Ippo wouldn't have been so under prepared.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tbp posted:

Like it's really the only way to explain it. There's genuinely no chance that not one fighter couldn't resist the temptation to "fight him at his own game" and start slugging it out with Ippo. They should have never had this most recent fight have that bit in it, I would have preferred to see Gonzales just casually move around Ippo and knock him out with a counter because his poo poo is so stupid. Look at the top fighters of today, there's a few brawlers yeah, but the technical skill is ludicrous and the world's best fighter is utterly incredible at dodging and countering to the point where an Ippo fighter would be obliterated. That doesn't make for a great story, but it's hard to buy "run at the guy" has worked up until the point where he almost because the #2 featherweight in the world lol

Well, the events on the manga are supposed to be happening at the end of the eighties or start of the nineties. And both Tyson (Ippo) and Chavez (Martinez is Mexican because of him but he doesn't fight at all like Chavez) were brawlers. Boxing has changed since them for sure.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

logger posted:

Just think how many times Ippo has said he is going back to the basics for his matches, and how it always turns into a ridiculous slug-fest with Ippo winning after taking enough punches to turn his face into hamburger. Maybe his weakness is he can't take on a world ranker only utilizing the basics and not bothering with technique.

If Kamogawa was any good at his job then Ippo wouldn't have been so under prepared.
Well, Ippo's basics ARE good. He throws punches with correct form at the right spots, and practices all of the basic forms of defense.

It's just that he's not fighting catchers from his hometown anymore. He fights anyone with an ounce of finesse and he gets beaten to hamburger.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Basically, going back to the basics is a good way to improve, but Ippo doesn't have anything else at this point. He's basically the way Kimura was before the Mashiba fight - pretty good, but he doesn't have anything to be scared of. He's monstrously strong, but he's fighting against world-class boxers; it's not believable anymore that he's just some COMEBACK KID who wins eventually because he's got so much brute strength. That's part of why the Woli fight was so infuriating; from the way the first 90% of that fight was written, Ippo definitely should have lost. But then the plot kicked in and Ippo touched Woli with his fist a few times and, well, the rest of that fight happened.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New Chapter is up - http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1070/2521/1

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

DoubleDonut posted:

Basically, going back to the basics is a good way to improve, but Ippo doesn't have anything else at this point. He's basically the way Kimura was before the Mashiba fight - pretty good, but he doesn't have anything to be scared of. He's monstrously strong, but he's fighting against world-class boxers; it's not believable anymore that he's just some COMEBACK KID who wins eventually because he's got so much brute strength. That's part of why the Woli fight was so infuriating; from the way the first 90% of that fight was written, Ippo definitely should have lost. But then the plot kicked in and Ippo touched Woli with his fist a few times and, well, the rest of that fight happened.

At least the idea behind the Woli fight is kind of understandable. Kid's only had 3 fights and basically doesn't know what it's like to take hits, so Ippo managing to catch him with some glancing blows, considering how powerful Ippo is, could understandably be enough to throw Woli off his game just enough for Ippo to catch him with a clean hit. Problem is the way it was handled was just stupid and messy, and the "glancing blows" seemed more like soft taps to the side than anything that would have reasonably caused any damage. If Woli had had some more fighting experience and had ever taken a punch in his life Ippo would have been loving creamed, as was pretty much stated after the fight. The reason Kamogawa kept thinking of Woli and Miguel is because Ippo was in a similar situation: Not fighting a battle against and untouchable opponent, but fighting someone whose talent was just straight up out of Ippo's league. The difference is Alfredo DOES have experience and he CAN take a punch, so Ippo, as he rightfully should have, got creamed.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

It is sad, but hopefully it will lead to character development for Ippo. What all other boxers have in the series that he lacks is self-motivation. Ippo is motivated only by his relationships with others, especially the coach (fighting to prove coach's boxing, putting faith in the coach, defining his own strength by the strength of the people he has beaten, as seen in this fight). That is the meaning of strength which he is lacking, self-motivation.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

furiouskoala posted:

It is sad, but hopefully it will lead to character development for Ippo. What all other boxers have in the series that he lacks is self-motivation. Ippo is motivated only by his relationships with others, especially the coach (fighting to prove coach's boxing, putting faith in the coach, defining his own strength by the strength of the people he has beaten, as seen in this fight). That is the meaning of strength which he is lacking, self-motivation.

Exactly, and I really hope the comic addresses this. Ippo doesn't really have any ambition to speak of.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

It's a shame too, because they built up a great motivation for Ippo from chapter 1 all the way until the Miyata v Randy Boy Jr fight. Ippo wanted to know what it was like to be strong, and the only way he could figure that out was beating Miyata, who he looked/looks up to as the strongest. Then, for some utterly inexplicable reason, they dumped that storyline completely (even though we all know it'll still come to happen) and we got hundreds of chapters of the terrible "other OBPF" champions.

It was so good when Ippo was fighting Sendo in that brawl for the Japanese title, just slugging it out, both of them wanting to either figure out strength or prove their strength. And honestly, that was basically the last good Ippo fight.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hmm..

I wonder if Takamura felt just slightly jealous there. Either that or he wants to remind the coach that there is still a 2nd hope. I agree with everyone else. Takamura has at least a goal, Ippo does not. Well at least he got back up. Probably next chapter he'll be crying his eyes off though. I just hope something comes out of this because Ippo has been on cruise control lately.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Exactly, and I really hope the comic addresses this. Ippo doesn't really have any ambition to speak of.

So Makanouchi Ippo, inspirational role model to young readers, has been living by a deliberately flawed value system all this time? And now that those young readers are turning 30 or so, the writer is finally ready to unveil a valuable life lesson. What a plan.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Hmm..

I wonder if Takamura felt just slightly jealous there. Either that or he wants to remind the coach that there is still a 2nd hope. I agree with everyone else. Takamura has at least a goal, Ippo does not. Well at least he got back up. Probably next chapter he'll be crying his eyes off though. I just hope something comes out of this because Ippo has been on cruise control lately.

Takamura's the man, and he's probably feeling a bit squandered with coach gushing over ippo...

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm wondering if him seeming weaker to everyone else will be addressed now. Seeing as how his ridiculous stamina isn't enough anymore I'm thinking it's because everyone else, like Vorg, Sendou, and Miyata, have improved while he's been relying on guts. Probably why Sendou just flattened him in sparring.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Wild Horses posted:

Takamura's the man, and he's probably feeling a bit squandered with coach gushing over ippo...

That's not it.. his reaction was because he thought the coach was upset that he had just lost the chance at a World Title. I don't think Takamura realizes that this isn't what the coach is worried about, and that Ippo will win one anyway at some point

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
I thought it was because Takamura thought Ippo was broken and done and wanted the coach to remember that he had one good boxer left. But it doesn't really matter because Ippo as a fighter is more like Kamogawa and inherited his fists of iron or something. I remember the old man saying Takamura would be champ with or without him.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Personally, I can't wait for yet another Ippo Is A Big Baby And Considers Retirement Over One Loss/His Mother Getting Injured Once/Whatever arc.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I'm looking forward to the arc where Takamura gets jealous and leaves the gym in order to drop to featherweight and fight Ippo

I feel dumber for having thought of that, but at least it might be more entertaining than what's going on now

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Takamura chops off his right arm and both legs and replaces them with lightweight prosthetics. However, he's just over the featherweight limit - so he's forced to cut off his pompadour.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

Takamura chops off his right arm and both legs and replaces them with lightweight prosthetics. However, he's just over the featherweight limit - so he's forced to cut off his pompadour.

Wins anyway.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

He can't go out there without his trademark

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Linnear posted:

I thought it was because Takamura thought Ippo was broken and done and wanted the coach to remember that he had one good boxer left. But it doesn't really matter because Ippo as a fighter is more like Kamogawa and inherited his fists of iron or something. I remember the old man saying Takamura would be champ with or without him.

Yeah, he was talented enough that he'd have won it anyway. But that's the coach downplaying his own part a bit as well - reigning in Takamura was the challenge and nobody else really could have done it. But Kamogawa only considers his promise fulfilled when he raises someone up from the very beginning, which has to be Ippo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

DoubleDonut posted:

Clearly that fight was written like that so people wouldn't see Ippo's defeat coming. If he could come back from that punishment, surely he'd come back from this one too. :smug: