Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Team 8 is The Golden Trio. Which is just Icarus and the Throwbacks, because they are Chikara's World and Tag champions. So no Matt Classic this year. So far, not that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

Team 8 is The Golden Trio. Which is just Icarus and the Throwbacks, because they are Chikara's World and Tag champions. So no Matt Classic this year. So far, not that interesting.

Cabana's apparently booked elsewhere that weekend.

Here are the Chikara guys not represented in the tournament yet, not counting the Batiri, who outright stated they weren't going to be in it:

Chikara: Amasis, Ophidian, Juan Francisco de Coronado, Jervis Cottonbelly, Marion Fontaine, Proletariat Boar of Moldova, Prakash Sabar, Mr. Azerbaijan, Ashley Remington, Shynron, Chuck Taylor, Ice Cream Jr., El Hijo Del Ice Cream

Flood: Deucalion, Jimmy Jacobs, Eddie Kingston, Ares, Nokken, Missile Assault Ant, Orbit Adventure Ant, Arctic Rescue Ant, Sinn Bodhi, Oliver Grimsly, Qefka the Quiet, Dr. Cube, Haack, Slaash, Jaka, Oleg the Usurper, Delirious, Soldier Ant, the plague doctor guy, Lithuanian Snow Troll

Wrestling is Fun: Lance Steel, Jolly Roger, Kimber Lee, Heidi Lovelace, Eric Corvis, Hype Rockwell, Race Jackson, Create-a-Wrestler, Argus, Kid Cyclone, Equinox III

I guess Submission Squad too, but I really hope they aren't in there. The gag works better if they're heels like in 2012.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

coconono posted:

Did Sugar Dunkerton and Chikara have a falling out?

He no-showed some Chikara events last year IIRC and is no longer booked

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I'm guessing the Bloc Party, Colony: Xtreme Force, and the Odditorium will get in. Perhaps Cube and his minions. Both the Batiri and the Baltic Siege suffered from the loss of their teammates.

Possibly Team ROH and at least one foreign team as well.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Who's this Create-a-Wrestler guy? I hope his gimmick is "Default CAW from WWE '13

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Who's this Create-a-Wrestler guy? I hope his gimmick is "Default CAW from WWE '13
That was Dasher Hatfield's old gimmick. It's a gimmick that's a default CAW that has a bunch of weird gimmicks, like Dasher Hatfield, Ultimo Breakfast, and Moscow The Communist Bovine

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Basically they had a fan contest every year to literally create him a new identity, and Dasher Hatfield was so popular, he just stuck with that permanently. I think the explanation was that his save file got corrupted or something so he was stuck as Dasher.

One of the new rookies is Create-A-Wrestler 2, so maybe they'll bring back the contest.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

OmegaBR posted:

I'm guessing the Bloc Party, Colony: Xtreme Force, and the Odditorium will get in. Perhaps Cube and his minions. Both the Batiri and the Baltic Siege suffered from the loss of their teammates.

Possibly Team ROH and at least one foreign team as well.

I thought the Bloc Party was forced to disband after losing the flag match.

Not that that could stop them from reforming for KoT I guess.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Suben posted:

I thought the Bloc Party was forced to disband after losing the flag match.

Not that that could stop them from reforming for KoT I guess.

I thought that too, but I guess it was more that the Polar Baron would leave them if they lost. Friend of mine insists that Polar Baron is Jakob Hammermeier under the mask, finding something to do while he's resting his story, which is totally possible.

The Bloc Party has been working together in Wrestling is Fun, lightly feuding with the Greenhorn Militia (the stable of the rookies). I'd shrug at them being in the tournament. I really like the Boar and I think Azerbaijan is hilarious, but X-Pakistan is pretty bad. His style is copied from a guy known for having everyone get angrily bored from his wrestling, only he's not that good at imitating it.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I cannot imagine that the Spirit Squad will be the only non CHIKARA team booked. They gotta do at least 2-3 outside teams I hope.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

I cannot imagine that the Spirit Squad will be the only non CHIKARA team booked. They gotta do at least 2-3 outside teams I hope.

I figure there's 2-3 outside teams left and hopefully at least one Chikara/outsider mix. I think they decided to start strong with Spirit Squad, last time's champs, and the UK team, used a bunch of less exciting names for the middle and are saving any other unique teams for the last stretch. I'd expect the next few days to be stuff like Colony XTREME Force and Bloc Party.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
One of the teams should be that low-rent fake SHIELD that was going around some bottom of the barrel indies a short while ago.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I know it's almost certainly not going to happen, but a Suzuki-gun team of Suzuki and the Killer Elite Squad would be fantastic and only require flying in one person from overseas. He's certainly up for occasionally doing wacky comedy poo poo in small feds.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

I know it's almost certainly not going to happen, but a Suzuki-gun team of Suzuki and the Killer Elite Squad would be fantastic and only require flying in one person from overseas. He's certainly up for occasionally doing wacky comedy poo poo in small feds.

now I'm going to get my hopes up. Thanks Thauros.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Team #9 is Ares, Nøkken, and DR. CUBE.

They're calling it BDK3

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

OmegaBR posted:

Team #9 is Ares, Nøkken, and DR. CUBE.

They're calling it BDK3

I'm okay with that. Especially because they're not wasting a tournament spot on Cube's henchmen.

In more important news the 24/7 Hardcore Championship is back in action!

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Team #10 sees the official CHIKARA debut of Kimber Lee with KE4TPG.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I was hoping we'd get that. For those who don't watch Wrestling is Fun (which is pretty much everyone), their deal is that Jolly Roger and Lance Steel are faces with Princess Kimber Lee as their heel manager. She's self-centered and conniving, but Lance Steel will willfully do whatever she asks (ie. use his back as a stepping stone to get into the ring) because she's a princess and he's chivalrous. She's extremely friendly to Lance, but barely tolerates Roger due to how he doesn't really respect her royalty.

I don't know if she's actually wrestled a match for WiF yet, but she was the one who bought the Chikara tag belts from an online auction after the company went down. That led to a feud between KE4TPG and the Pieces of Hate, where Jigsaw refuses to put the hurting on Roger in the ring. It's insinuated that it's because they're brothers, though I don't think they've outright mentioned it.

Either way, it's kind of crazy how there's a strong family resemblance between the two even though one has his entire head covered.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

I was hoping we'd get that. For those who don't watch Wrestling is Fun (which is pretty much everyone), their deal is that Jolly Roger and Lance Steel are faces with Princess Kimber Lee as their heel manager. She's self-centered and conniving, but Lance Steel will willfully do whatever she asks (ie. use his back as a stepping stone to get into the ring) because she's a princess and he's chivalrous. She's extremely friendly to Lance, but barely tolerates Roger due to how he doesn't really respect her royalty.

I don't know if she's actually wrestled a match for WiF yet, but she was the one who bought the Chikara tag belts from an online auction after the company went down. That led to a feud between KE4TPG and the Pieces of Hate, where Jigsaw refuses to put the hurting on Roger in the ring. It's insinuated that it's because they're brothers, though I don't think they've outright mentioned it.

Either way, it's kind of crazy how there's a strong family resemblance between the two even though one has his entire head covered.

She's wrestled a few matches. She had a whole series with Saturyne back in their Allentown days where the last match was a "Kiss My Foot" match which Saturyne won. And she wrestled Portia Perez in Reading, too.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

What's Tim Donst up to these days? I see he's doing some stuff with AIW and Dragon Gate USA, but are there any rumblings of him returning to Chikara to maybe resume his quasi-Raven character from last year? He sort of struck me as the kind of guy that could possibly run with the Grand Championship for a while.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BodyMassageMachine posted:

What's Tim Donst up to these days? I see he's doing some stuff with AIW and Dragon Gate USA, but are there any rumblings of him returning to Chikara to maybe resume his quasi-Raven character from last year? He sort of struck me as the kind of guy that could possibly run with the Grand Championship for a while.

I don't think he'll be showing up any time soon, especially with his Raven persona, but of all the guys who left Chikara, he easily is the most likely to make a return down the road. They wrote him off via an installment of Ashes and I think that says a lot.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I think I'm the only person left who actually likes Eddie Kingston, but I really think they screwed up not giving Donst the title at the end of their last full season after how well they built him up.

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

https://sports.vice.com/article/the-true-story-behind-the-craziest-pro-wrestling-stunt-ever

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
No Matt Classic, but we got Thunderkitty.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
And as of today, we also get Kizarny & The Odditorium (Oliver Grimsly & Qefka the Goddamn Mime).

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

And as of today, we also get Kizarny & The Odditorium (Oliver Grimsly & Qefka the Goddamn Mime).

Why is Kizarny seperated from his own stable?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

They really don't seem to be bringing in much in the way of cool outside talent.:( I think the only non Chikara person they've announced so far is Thunderkitty. They could've at least put Tursas on the BDK team now that he's back, he's cool at least.

Edit : I guess there's the British guys as well, who might be great for all I know but I've never heard of them.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 3, 2014

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Thauros posted:

They really don't seem to be bringing in much in the way of cool outside talent.:( I think the only non Chikara person they've announced so far is Thunderkitty.

Edit : I guess there's the British guys as well, who might be great for all I know but I've never heard of them.

I do think CHIKARA are being carny here in general. But in their defence flights from Japan have skyrocketed in price. It is one of reasons DGUSA brought in less and less talent from there.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

rovert posted:

I do think CHIKARA are being carny here in general. But in their defence flights from Japan have skyrocketed in price. It is one of reasons DGUSA brought in less and less talent from there.

Bring in some big name US guys then who work Japan like the Bucks. Bucks have a history there and seem to get along well with Quack, and you could toss in Doc Gallows as their partner if you don't want to splurge on AJ. Or Adam Cole for a PWG team.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

They really don't seem to be bringing in much in the way of cool outside talent.:( I think the only non Chikara person they've announced so far is Thunderkitty. They could've at least put Tursas on the BDK team now that he's back, he's cool at least.

They killed off Tursas.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Thauros posted:

Bring in some big name US guys then who work Japan like the Bucks. Bucks have a history there and seem to get along well with Quack, and you could toss in Doc Gallows as their partner if you don't want to splurge on AJ. Or Adam Cole for a PWG team.

Which is why I think they have been carny especially when it came to pricing front row tickets.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Kimber Lee is booked for a show in Canada on that Sunday, so don't expect KE4TPG to go very far in the tournament.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's an update on Chikara dudes still in play, not counting the Batiri.

Chikara: Amasis, Ophidian, Juan Francisco de Coronado, Proletariat Boar of Moldova, Prakash Sabar, Mr. Azerbaijan, Ashley Remington, Shynron, Chuck Taylor, Ice Cream Jr., El Hijo Del Ice Cream

Flood: Deucalion, Jimmy Jacobs, Eddie Kingston, Missile Assault Ant, Orbit Adventure Ant, Arctic Rescue Ant, Haack, Slaash, Jaka, Oleg the Usurper, Delirious, Soldier Ant, the plague doctor guy, Lithuanian Snow Troll

Wrestling is Fun: Heidi Lovelace, Eric Corvis, Hype Rockwell, Race Jackson, Create-a-Wrestler, Argus, Kid Cyclone, Equinox III

Colony XTREME Force is a lock, but at this point in the announcements, including the Bloc Party probably wouldn't be for the best. I was expecting a team featuring both Remington and Cottonbelly (either with Fontaine or Chuck Taylor as the third guy) but without that in the cards, I'm guessing Taylor and Remington won't be competing. I can't think of a fitting third man.

At this point I'd guess the final four teams are Colony XTREME Force, Bloc Party, Amasis/Ophidian/Shynron (maybe Corvis due to the anachronism thing) and some big name indy/Japanese team.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

rovert posted:

Which is why I think they have been carny especially when it came to pricing front row tickets.

What? Nah, this is p much their Wrestlemania, and after hearing Quack say in a podcast that no one has made a living wage from CHIKARA work in a way emphasize it's done for love and passion, I'm all for higher prices at a big scale event it it'll mean the wrestlers getting a cut of the gate.

I saw the Dunns when they wrestled at Wrestling is cool, and they had a fun match-- a lot of neat use of joint locks and offensive moves that double as tag-ins.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
There's a great war going on on the CHIKARA 101 board between those let down my King of Trios and true believers

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

think that's more for the fan opinion thread.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Quack pretty much said in that Vice piece that the Chikara brand is what people care about more than any wrestler. Maybe he's right, I don't know, but that's kind of a pretentious view imo. Especially for KoT where the big appeal is outside talent drawing in people that otherwise might not give your product more than a cursory glance as well as putting on good matches.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

There's something I don't like about that. Seems like the attitude that Mr. McMahon takes sometimes, and it's part of the reason why he doesn't have a million network subscribers.

CHIKARA has a ton of loyal fans, clearly, but the hiatus definitely lost them some of those people. Take the Rudo Resurrection Kickstarter for example, and how it didn't even make $20,000 of the $50,000 goal.

King of Trios isn't Wrestlemania, and it's grown into a huge event specifically because of the wealth of talent each year, making an experience you can't really get otherwise. Seeing the usual suspects from the CHIKARA family isn't an awful thing, but it doesn't compare to the reputation KoT has built up.

That being said, we still have four teams left, and I'd expect at least another notable domestic team, be it a Team ROH or more veterans like Team WWF last year. If this is the year they have scale back, then so be it. Maybe they can afford Too Cool, eh?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

rovert posted:

There's a great war going on on the CHIKARA 101 board between those let down my King of Trios and true believers

That's pretty bad, but it gets worse down the page when he whines about how "#IAmChikara" is a fallacy and some people need to turn in their badges.

Anyway, I kind of saw the writing on the wall on this back in King of Trios 2012. The list of outside talent came off as really underwhelming and while the show turned out to be awesome regardless, there was nothing that had me too excited going in outside of the novelty of seeing Meng fight the Young Bucks. The writing on the wall became much clearer once they started doing the "Flood, represented by three guys, attack Wrestling Is shows" and how the last two Tag World Grand Prix were just kind of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OmegaBR posted:

There's something I don't like about that. Seems like the attitude that Mr. McMahon takes sometimes, and it's part of the reason why he doesn't have a million network subscribers.

CHIKARA has a ton of loyal fans, clearly, but the hiatus definitely lost them some of those people. Take the Rudo Resurrection Kickstarter for example, and how it didn't even make $20,000 of the $50,000 goal.

King of Trios isn't Wrestlemania, and it's grown into a huge event specifically because of the wealth of talent each year, making an experience you can't really get otherwise. Seeing the usual suspects from the CHIKARA family isn't an awful thing, but it doesn't compare to the reputation KoT has built up.

That being said, we still have four teams left, and I'd expect at least another notable domestic team, be it a Team ROH or more veterans like Team WWF last year. If this is the year they have scale back, then so be it. Maybe they can afford Too Cool, eh?

I could see Quack wanting nothing to do with Too Cool given Christopher's problems. I know Waltman has issues of his own, but Waltman was a much better wrestler than Christopher at their peaks, and was, to my knowledge, clean when he worked KOT.

But maybe he'd book 'Kishi and Scotty plus another dancing guy, who knows.

Edit: Christopher's wiki says he's been clean for a year. Hopefully he makes it stick.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread