Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I read about an app called Overcast

http://lifehacker.com/overcast-is-a-free-powerful-podcast-app-with-a-syncing-1605988827

quote:

The nice thing about Overcast is that it's free for a basic feature set, which includes basic podcast playing and playlists. For $4.99, you can unlock advanced features like cellular downloads, variable playback speeds, a voice boost, sleep timer, and more.
and

quote:

and a web player that syncs up so you can pick up episodes from your computer. The web player doesn't have much in the way of features, but it plays podcasts and syncs what you've heard, which is a good start.

Does anyone know of a podcast app where I can sync my subscriptions and episode locations between Android, the web, and iPhone? I listen to podcasts on both types of phones and my computer.

An Android and web based one would work since Android is 80% of my phone use. I just looked and I do not think this one has an Android version or I would have bought it right away.

thanks

(if this belongs somewhere else let me know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Are there any good paranormal podcasts? I already subscribe to Skeptoid and Monster Talk, but something that just goes over stuff like urban legends and myths and the like would be cool. Doesn't need to be from a skeptical point of view as long as it's entertaining.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Are there any good paranormal podcasts? I already subscribe to Skeptoid and Monster Talk, but something that just goes over stuff like urban legends and myths and the like would be cool. Doesn't need to be from a skeptical point of view as long as it's entertaining.
I've done a couple pretty good sweeps for these over the years and can't find any. Only old school 90s Art Bell Coast to Coast AM quenches my thirst for spookiness.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

TheJoker138 posted:

It doesn't fit your needs exactly but you could try Mysterious Universe. It's a couple of Australian guys that go through the latest weird news. I stopped listening because I thought they could be a little bit more skeptical, but if that doesn't bother you you could always try it. The hosts have a good rapport and are fun to listen to.

A example recent episode:

quote:

Nick Redfern joins us on our season opener for an investigation into the strange deaths, mysterious murders, and bizarre disappearances connected with the UFO phenomenon. We also include the latest on Bryan Sykes' DNA analysis of 'Yeti' samples, we discover how extreme fear can unlock human potential, and more cases of missing persons in North America emerge.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

ChetReckless posted:

It doesn't fit your needs exactly but you could try Mysterious Universe. It's a couple of Australian guys that go through the latest weird news. I stopped listening because I thought they could be a little bit more skeptical, but if that doesn't bother you you could always try it. The hosts have a good rapport and are fun to listen to.

I'll second this one. They're pretty into yeti and aliens and "alternative philosophy" stuff, but they do generally laugh at the crazier people who are into things like crystals and supersoldiers. My favourite thing about it is that they're just out there enough to be a bit welcoming. They do a lot of interviews with a range of people, from (fairly recently) anthropologists looking at alternative therapies and spiritualism to a psychologist who wrote a book about talking to her dead husband, and sometimes play calls from listeners who want to prattle about that one time an alien rearranged their furniture or some poo poo. If you're okay with their point of view of at least entertaining the weird rather than mocking it or tearing it to pieces, it's pretty good. The only things they really do that annoy me are when they talk about government cover ups (the CIA have psychics working out of secret desert bases!), and when they start getting the science wrong talking about yeti DNA or placebos. They do vary topic quite a bit, so not every segment might be something you're interested in hearing about, but unless you're listening in the car, skipping forward a few minutes isn't really a problem and there's never a show that's all on one topic.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

ChetReckless posted:

A example recent episode:

I tried to listen to this last year and just couldn't get into it, if I recall you only get like half of the episode for free. I've recently started listening Stuff They Don't Want You To Know, which is a spin off of the YouTube channel and a part of the how stuff works family. It's a little more :tinfoil: than I like but I do find it entertaining and there's definitely stuff I've never heard before mentioned on it.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Fwiw, they do offer (and advertise) a lot more in their extended show, but it's not really half a show. It's still an hour long podcast every week, and they just add more stories on the end, so it's not like they're cutting stuff off halfway through.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Revolutions podcast started back up again, now 2 episodes into the French Revolution. Big change from the previous 2 sections is that Mike Duncan won't be sticking to a strict 15-episode format anymore, which is good because there's a wealth of stuff to cover

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

MooCowlian posted:

Fwiw, they do offer (and advertise) a lot more in their extended show, but it's not really half a show. It's still an hour long podcast every week, and they just add more stories on the end, so it's not like they're cutting stuff off halfway through.

Ah I just remember from the twice or so I listened there being something I really wanted to hear but then it cutting off for the non extended podcast and being disappointed. I'll have to give it another try.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Might want to look into Expanded Perspectives http://www.expandedperspectives.com/podcasts/

Not as professional as Mysterious Universe, but somewhat similar.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
This seems the best place to ask. Is there any podcast listeners that would sync my podcasts between my desktop laptop and android phone? I listen to enough with enough time between them sometimes that I forget what I've heard between the 3 platforms. a way to sync the marked as listened between them all would be a godsend

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 19, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looking for movie podcasts that are exclusively about older films and not new releases, and wouldn't mind if they specialize around genre/cult/etc. Ideally they are slightly more in-depth and academically focused rather than comedic or banter-y. Really liked The Hollywood Gauntlet's interesting subject matter coupled with their in-depth knowledge of the subjects (Raiders Story Conference, Summer of 82, What Happened to Star Wars, looking back at Ebert and Siskel's Future of the Movies) but something like Wam Bam Pow is way too light and fluffy and I'm not really into "bad movie" podcasts.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 24, 2014

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Looking for movie podcasts that are exclusively about older films and not new releases, and wouldn't mind if they specialize around genre/cult/etc. Ideally they are slightly more in-depth and academically focused rather than comedic or banter-y. Really liked The Hollywood Gauntlet's interesting subject matter coupled with their in-depth knowledge of the subjects (Raiders Story Conference, Summer of 82, What Happened to Star Wars, looking back at Ebert and Siskel's Future of the Movies) but something like Wam Bam Pow is way too light and fluffy and I'm not really into "bad movie" podcasts.

I enjoy the Horror 101 podcast and the Criterioncast

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation for a podcast about playing or DM'ing or reviewing tabletop RPGs that isn't a recording of a play session? Something like Three Moves Ahead or Game Design Roundtable, but for DND and the likes.

I tried Save or Die and the production value was terrible and the hosts sounded like old fogeys

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Apropos of nothing:

The Mike Reiss episode of Gilbert Gottfried's podcast is very good.

Thanks.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Are there any good weekly podcasts that update on Saturday or Sunday? I don't really like interview shows all that much, but other than that the subject matter isn't that important as long as it's entertaining.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Eeevil posted:

Are there any good weekly podcasts that update on Saturday or Sunday? I don't really like interview shows all that much, but other than that the subject matter isn't that important as long as it's entertaining.

Sunday i have Complete guide to everything, 60 minutes, and my history can beat up your politics, Saturday I have nyt book review and on the media

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Eeevil posted:

I enjoy the goofiness of Improvised Star Trek, which is Sundays.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Eeevil posted:

Doodie Calls usually updates Sunday. It's the show where comedians talk about times they've poo poo themselves and it's loving hilarious.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Doodie Calls usually updates Sunday. It's the show where comedians talk about times they've poo poo themselves and it's loving hilarious.

This is real?

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a podcast about playing or DM'ing or reviewing tabletop RPGs that isn't a recording of a play session? Something like Three Moves Ahead or Game Design Roundtable, but for DND and the likes.

I tried Save or Die and the production value was terrible and the hosts sounded like old fogeys

Critical Hit is about that stuff and it's made by the One Shot guy. Can't vouch for it because I am not into D&D, but judging from One Shot it may be worth a try.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Margaret Cho's persimmon diet is my all time favorite.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I just finished up an audio drama that just ended at the end of July. Trigger warning it has zombies in it.

We're Alive: A Story of Survival

It is solid and gets better as you listen. Sure it does have a couple of eye roll moments, but it is good. I know as I listened to it I became attached to a couple of the characters and was sad to see them go when the show ended. The voice acting is great. The sound effects are great. I recommend it if you like audio dramas.

I'd also like to ask if anyone knows of any other good audio dramas/podcasts on ITunes preferably. I have listened to Wormwood and Welcome to Nightvale is set to download as soon as another comes out.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I'd also like to ask if anyone knows of any other good audio dramas/podcasts on ITunes preferably. I have listened to Wormwood and Welcome to Nightvale is set to download as soon as another comes out.

I enjoy The Truth (iTunes). The episodes are fairly short (10-20 minutes) and pretty well produced across the board. Each episode tends to be its own contained little story, though, so there isn't the continuing narrative that you get from something like you're recommending. Some of the episodes can get pretty dark but it sounds like that's probably not a problem for you.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
We have podcasts that do in depth on every episode of a TV series, like Go Bayside! and The X-Files Files. And we have ones like Star Wars Minute. Is there anything like that for video games?

I had this idea for a Doomcast that goes over one stock level each episode, discussing the design, difficulty, setpieces, speedrunning, and multiplayer. I'm not sure if I'm the one to do that, but while I ponder that, is there anything remotely like this in existence, for any game?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

ostensibly thats covered by a lets play

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Golbez posted:

We have podcasts that do in depth on every episode of a TV series, like Go Bayside! and The X-Files Files. And we have ones like Star Wars Minute. Is there anything like that for video games?

I had this idea for a Doomcast that goes over one stock level each episode, discussing the design, difficulty, setpieces, speedrunning, and multiplayer. I'm not sure if I'm the one to do that, but while I ponder that, is there anything remotely like this in existence, for any game?

There's Bonefireside Chat, if you like Dark Souls.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fear the Boot and Role Playing Public Radio both have fairly interesting critical discussion about tabletop gaming and play styles.
Incidentally, though I know you said you're not looking for them, RPPR's actual plays are pretty great, with good audio balance and quality and a variety of systems and series/one-shots instead of being a long-running campaign of a single one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zachol posted:

Fear the Boot and Role Playing Public Radio both have fairly interesting critical discussion about tabletop gaming and play styles.
Incidentally, though I know you said you're not looking for them, RPPR's actual plays are pretty great, with good audio balance and quality and a variety of systems and series/one-shots instead of being a long-running campaign of a single one.

Thank you for this recommendation. Role Playing Public Radio has such a deep and varied discussion - I knew I was onto something special when they started talking about Marxism as it relates to economies within fantasy RPGs.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
TTGs are serious business.
Two others I thought of are The Unspeakable Oath, which is horror focused and associated with RPPR sort of, and The Walking Eye, which mixes APs with discussion and is pretty storygame focused.
There's also a podcast focused on Paizo adventure paths I forget the name of. It was really inside baseball focused on Paizo's neighborhood of the industry, but pretty well produced and interesting.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I just got a new job with a 30-45 minute commute, and I don't have enough podcasts to fill 5-7 hours a week. I guess that makes my highest priority weekly updates. My tastes are mildly focused; I keep up with the F+, How did this get made?, and wait wait don't tell me. I have a backlog of the Revolutions podcast to get into as well. Anyone have anything along any of those lines?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Sighence posted:

I just got a new job with a 30-45 minute commute, and I don't have enough podcasts to fill 5-7 hours a week. I guess that makes my highest priority weekly updates. My tastes are mildly focused; I keep up with the F+, How did this get made?, and wait wait don't tell me. I have a backlog of the Revolutions podcast to get into as well. Anyone have anything along any of those lines?

I started going off the stuff you listen to already but there wasn't a ton to work with so I'll just more generally recommend cool poo poo that I like and maybe you or someone else will dig them.

No Such Thing As A Fish: The researchers behind the British quiz show QI get together and share some of the interesting facts they've come across. Interesting and often very funny. Weekly.

The Flop House: If you like How Did This Get Made, you'll probably like the Flop House as well. Same deal, a group of folks ripping on a bad movie, and the hosts are pretty good. Every two weeks but there is a pretty big back catalog to keep you going.

99% Invisible: A podcast about architecture and design, but way more interesting than that might sound. Each show is the perfect length at about 20 minutes, and each examines the story behind some place or object and looks at how and why it works (or doesn't). Roman Mars is an excellent host. There are tons of episodes so its a great podcast to go through the back catalog of. Weekly.

This American Life: You're possibly already aware of it, but just in case: each show has a theme and two to three stories on it. Documentary/interview/storytelling-ish. Weekly.

The Truth: Short (~20 minute) audio dramas. They can get a little dark but I can't recall hearing one I didn't like at least a little, and some I enjoyed a lot. Every two weeks.

The Bugle: John Oliver (previously of the Daily Show, currently of Last Week Tonight) and Andy Zaltzman talk funny about politics and whatever else is topical. Weekly.

On The Media: A NPR podcast, but really only good if you like following news and the way news is covered. I really like it but it is definitely one of those 'only if you're into it' things. Weekly.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Oh man, how did I forget the Bugle? Shame on me. The rest of those are new to me though, I'll check them out. Thanks.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
If you like The Bugle then you'll probably like Answer Me This.

Also others to consider: Pop Culture Happy Hour, an NPR podcast, and Extra Hot Great, a wonderful podcast from the people who made Television Without Pity.

(Sorry for no links, on phone)

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

Sighence posted:

Some poo poo I listen to:

Stuff You Should Know (random poo poo)
Stuff You Missed in History Class (history)
Stuff Mom Never Told You (sex / relationship type stuff)
Wiretap from CBC (the guy used to work on This American Life)
Fresh Air (NPR)
TED Radio Hour (NPR)
Ideas from CBC Radio (discussions about some random topic)
PRI: To The Best of Our Knowledge (by Public Radio International, NPR'ish)
Real Time with Bill Maher (has audio versions of the show)
Snap Judgement (NPR, kinda like This American Life)
The Dinner Party Download (NPR)

All of these have RSS feeds so Google around, find the feed, and you can get an idea of what they talk about.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Anyone have any good recommendations for new music discovery podcasts along the lines of All Songs Considered? Preferably something that covers at least some hip-hop.

I also have a recommendation of Rachel and Miles X-Plain the X-Men. Basically they run a podcast where they try to make sense of X-Men comics following a lose chronological order. They kind of jump around a lot but overall they are pretty entertaining and they do a good job of summarizing the series.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

hackedaccount posted:

Some poo poo I listen to:

Stuff You Should Know (random poo poo)
Stuff You Missed in History Class (history)
Stuff Mom Never Told You (sex / relationship type stuff)
Wiretap from CBC (the guy used to work on This American Life)
Fresh Air (NPR)
TED Radio Hour (NPR)
Ideas from CBC Radio (discussions about some random topic)
PRI: To The Best of Our Knowledge (by Public Radio International, NPR'ish)
Real Time with Bill Maher (has audio versions of the show)
Snap Judgement (NPR, kinda like This American Life)
The Dinner Party Download (NPR)

All of these have RSS feeds so Google around, find the feed, and you can get an idea of what they talk about.

You should certainly listen to "We Hate Movies". It's superior to How Did This Get made, in my opinion, but in the same wheelhouse.

Also check out 99% invisible, if you enjoy the PRI, and Stuff you should know type podcasts.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

What makes a good podcast?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

What makes a good podcast?

microphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008