Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

David Pratt posted:

Yeah, I've started doing that recently, helps you be a bit more objective.

Pretty much anything with portraits or landscapes that I jump right into the editing process ends up being heavy handed and hurried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Coal Town: Haydenville, 2014 by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

murp
May 30, 2007

78820006 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Sunset Cliffs I
by jemuelb, on Flickr

Sunset Cliffs III
by jemuelb, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I go even further. I wait a few days before I even touch the image assuming I'm not on deadline.

I've got rolls of film with landscapes on them from over a year ago. I'm aging them in a nice oak box to really bring out the nuances.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC7749 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Well, at least some of it is in focus :)

upstart
Oct 30, 2012

I've got this

Aurora Inukshuk by theupstart, on Flickr

upstart fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 1, 2014

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Lovely!

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

I'm really enjoying these two, Great job :)

Spent the day at the beach today.

silhouette 1 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Sailboat 1 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Wife and I spent the weekend at a friend-of-a-friend's cabin in the North Cascades National Park. Pretty nifty, as I ski there all the time but never been in the summer. My wife doesn't ski, so I was keen on showing her around a bit. These are all sort of cheesy as they were taken right from the road but we weren't equipped to do more than the easy touristy stuff. However, ski season will be here soon enough and I'm really looking forward to pushing deeper into this area.

It's amazing to see areas that you're familiar with in one season, and how they look so different in another:

DSCF1768.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Mt Baker Ski Area, with Mt Shuksan looming large in the background:

DSCF1806.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Closer look at Hanging Glacier on Mt Shuksan:

DSCF1785.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007

power by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Basement Parking by garbutto7vxg1, on Flickr

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

These two would go well together.

BreakingDolphins
Sep 20, 2012
Sup guys, there are a lot of nice landscape pictures in this thread. I've done quite a lot of traveling and always took my camera with me here are three landscape pictures what do you guys think?

Sydney, Australia

Bangkok, Thailand

Manhattan, New York

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BreakingDolphins posted:

Sup guys, there are a lot of nice landscape pictures in this thread. I've done quite a lot of traveling and always took my camera with me here are three landscape pictures what do you guys think?

Sydney, Australia

Bangkok, Thailand

Love the first shot. The second is amazing and I love the mood, but the horizon not being level is distracting to me.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

BreakingDolphins posted:

Sydney, Australia

Bangkok, Thailand

Manhattan, New York

In the Thailand shot, clone out the birds in the left part of the sky on the edge. Its pretty distracting.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 2, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Crop this one down just a smidge from the top right, my eye keeps getting drawn to that sliver of dark water.

I do like both of them by the way.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Spedman posted:

Crop this one down just a smidge from the top right, my eye keeps getting drawn to that sliver of dark water.

I do like both of them by the way.

I missed that, will do.

RazalasSol
Sep 30, 2007
Different lightning shot:

lightning by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

RazalasSol posted:

Different lightning shot:

lightning by razalas_solrac, on Flickr

I'm liking this one more than the black and white one. I feel the color helps set the scene more. I may be wrong through. The way the lightning and the wires cross and form a web is really nice.
I do however find the street lamp in the lower right distracting from the rest of the shot.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Hey landscape people, any tips for shooting waterfalls? Going to Niagara Falls tomorrow, and would love to bring back some good shots. Not looking to win a competition or anything, just for my personal collection.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Learning by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Crushed by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Sign by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Spill by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

I like this very much, I think the grain works very well. Did you underexpose it a bit?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

I like how you made the long exposure work here, but man, those highlights.. Why not to use a grad ND filter for the upper part?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

maxmars posted:

I like how you made the long exposure work here, but man, those highlights.. Why not to use a grad ND filter for the upper part?

Or a good composite with luminosity masks.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

maxmars posted:

I like this very much, I think the grain works very well. Did you underexpose it a bit?

It's an Olympus XA2. I didn't do anything :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Geektox posted:

Hey landscape people, any tips for shooting waterfalls? Going to Niagara Falls tomorrow, and would love to bring back some good shots. Not looking to win a competition or anything, just for my personal collection.

14 stop ND filter, iso 25, (techpan b/w) f16.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

atomicthumbs posted:

It's an Olympus XA2. I didn't do anything :v:

Isn't it awesome :D

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Geektox posted:

I once saw a tip in a magazine which suggested using multiple exposures. Like, a lot - 50 to 100. Then when you combine them you get a mix between the smoothness of a single long-exposure with the water-drop detail of much shorter exposures. I remember it looked pretty good and was a nice change from the typical boring long-exposure shots.

Disclaimer: I've never actually done this.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
LPT by TomOlson, on Flickr

Trump by TomOlson, on Flickr

River by TomOlson, on Flickr

Riverwalk by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 2, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love pictures of Lake Point Tower, the location they chose and the black theme they picked make it look like a random abandoned skyscraper from SimCity.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xzzy posted:

I love pictures of Lake Point Tower, the location they chose and the black theme they picked make it look like a random abandoned skyscraper from SimCity.

Haha me too, the sub-par landscaping surrounding it certainly doesn't help either.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sell this photo to Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
This does fall under landscape yes?

DSC02880 by esa_foto, on Flickr

Thailand 001 by esa_foto, on Flickr

This last one I'm not so sure what to think. I feel like there was a shot there but just slightly missed it.

Panama 029 by esa_foto, on Flickr