Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Nobody really talks about it much (as far as I've ever seen), but I've rarely been around a panther car that didn't have or eventually develop weird electrical issues. I had a 98 that ate fuel pumps and eatc modules for lunch, one of my best friends had a 99 that would turn on the windshield wipers when he hit the overdrive button. My dad owned a 96 that suddenly poured precious blue smoke from under the dash and then we never, ever found a smoked wire.

Anecdotal, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Would be an effective way to figure out who the hell is actually honking in dense night traffic. :razz:

A different expression of anger on the drivers face each time the interior illuminates.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

Nobody really talks about it much (as far as I've ever seen), but I've rarely been around a panther car that didn't have or eventually develop weird electrical issues. I had a 98 that ate fuel pumps and eatc modules for lunch, one of my best friends had a 99 that would turn on the windshield wipers when he hit the overdrive button. My dad owned a 96 that suddenly poured precious blue smoke from under the dash and then we never, ever found a smoked wire.

Anecdotal, but still.

I owned two panthers ('97 and '02) over a span of ten years and never had any electrical issues, but I also live in Florida so maybe that has something to do with it.

Also the eatc modules are (mostly) vacuum operated and eat o rings, that's usually what kills them, but $1 worth of new o rings makes them work like new.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SouthLAnd posted:

A different expression of anger on the drivers face each time the interior illuminates.

Don't blink.

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.

Delivery McGee posted:

Also, fun fact: every Panther (with the last body style, anyway, and I'm fairly sure including the granny versions and Mercuries) has a +12V wire behind the A-pillar trim on both sides, because it was cheaper to use the same wiring harness on all of them than to run a wire only in the cars with factory spotlight cuts. Handy if you want to permanently mount your GPS in that corner, or a light-up gauge pod on a Marauder, or whatever.

Similarly, swapping Marauder headlight/blinker units (I forget the details, but the Marauder headlights are different and cooler) onto a Ford from the same year doesn't require wiring fuckery; the Fords are fully wired for the Marauder lights, they just don't use one of the contacts in the plug.

I don't think this is true. I've had the A-pillar trim off on both sides, there's no wires under either of them. It's a late 2011 LX, built a month or two before they shut down for good. As for the Marauder corners, you need to get an additional pigtail that plugs into the main harness for the extra bulb they have. You also need a marauder header panel to actually be able to install the headlights. Different shape grille and whatnot. But I digress.

djhaloeight fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 26, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I mentioned a really annoying clanking/clunking noise in my front suspension a while back, and how the shop had said I should replace the sway bar links. Well, I'd been super lazy and not even looked underneath since then, but today I decided to put it up on ramps and have a really good look around:

Looks ok on the driver's side, rubber is kind of lovely but it's all there, let's look at the

WELL gently caress

I can't believe:

1) I didn't notice this, and
2) The loving shop didn't notice this? "link bushings may need to be replaced" no loving way?

Replacement kits are ordered from Amazon. I'm disappointed in myself.

Edit: I also noticed while lying down there that drat, the rest of this car looks so good. Here's some pictures because the camera was already out:

If you set a little table in the middle, you could sit on the raised sides and have a picnic:

Need to figure out how to fix this, though:

I'm thinking about just saying gently caress it, cutting out an appropriately-sized piece of leather, and gluing it over that. Might not look too terrible and could be reasonably comfortable as an armrest.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 3, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pham Nuwen posted:

If you set a little table in the middle, you could sit on the raised sides and have a picnic:

I love how what is probably a full sized spare looks like a donut in that cavernous trunk. When I went to buy my '05 Grand Marquis the salesman made the "You can fit a body in there" joke before I could.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I wouldn't get to hung up on the link bushings. You can miss poo poo, it happens to the best of us. I imagine it's a cheap and easily fixed part.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CannonFodder posted:

I love how what is probably a full sized spare looks like a donut in that cavernous trunk. When I went to buy my '05 Grand Marquis the salesman made the "You can fit a body in there" joke before I could.

It's not full-sized but it does seem quite large, I haven't measured it against a real tire yet.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I wouldn't get to hung up on the link bushings. You can miss poo poo, it happens to the best of us. I imagine it's a cheap and easily fixed part.

Yeah, it's kind of funny how I missed something like that but oh well. The kit to replace both sides is only $15 on Amazon, I should have it by Thursday or Friday at the latest.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I should have added... Nice ride BTW. Looks very clean.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thanks! Now that I've figured out why it rattled so much, I just need to figure out why it's only getting 16-17 mpg. And why the idle goes low-high-low-high. And why it's throwing thermactor codes. All three of these things may be related.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I would bet a vac leak or IAC control. I'm not sure on fords of that era.

I wouldn't expect much over 20 going downhill in terms of fuel economy.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
That missing bushing is reminding me that I need to take a look at my 02 GM. I've got some clunking at turning full lock left, but not right.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just need to figure out why it's only getting 16-17 mpg.

Because it's a box body Panther? My aero ('93) was only good for about 18 MPG average, though I got 26 out of it once while drafting my parents' RV the whole way back from Indiana.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah don't expect any better than that unless you're always on the highway then you might do a bit better.

My '97 got close to 30mpg HWY but that's because it was an aero.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

leica posted:

Yeah don't expect any better than that unless you're always on the highway then you might do a bit better.

My '97 got close to 30mpg HWY but that's because it was an aero.

I was hoping for better because a lot of guys on CV.net boast 20+ in their boxes, and my dad says he used to get 20+ in his. I guess I need to do a long highway trip and see what happens.

http://i.imgur.com/dk8t1kHl.jpg

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 3, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was hoping for better because a lot of guys on CV.net boast 20+ in their boxes, and my dad says he used to get 20+ in his.

This probably depends quite a bit on your local speed limits and summer or winter gas as well. Lots of historical data on these things getting 20+mpg was in the times of 55mph national speed limit. I know people sped then, but probably nothing like modern roads that flow at 85mph.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was hoping for better because a lot of guys on CV.net boast 20+ in their boxes, and my dad says he used to get 20+ in his. I guess I need to do a long highway trip and see what happens.

Highway helps, but you also have to remember that a lot of the guys on CVN are old farts. They drive a lot slower than you probably do.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I never got above 20 in my '97 or '02 in city driving, and that's over ten years of driving a Panther.

You're wasting money if you start throwing parts at it to try and get better MPG.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I mentioned a really annoying clanking/clunking noise in my front suspension a while back, and how the shop had said I should replace the sway bar links. Well, I'd been super lazy and not even looked underneath since then, but today I decided to put it up on ramps and have a really good look around:

WELL gently caress

I can't believe:

1) I didn't notice this, and
2) The loving shop didn't notice this? "link bushings may need to be replaced" no loving way?

I mean, what exactly did you expect? The kits are usually like $15 per side, on many vehicles you can't even get just the bushings. They told you exactly what you needed :v:

I normally take the old one out with an angle grinder or boltcutter, it isn't even worth the time to try and save them once they clunk/jingle because it usually damages the hardware.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
I have a (probably pretty dumb) question. I have an '03 Marauder with a punctured hose. I've highlighted the hose in the provided picture. What am I looking at?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sunshine Mix posted:

I have a (probably pretty dumb) question. I have an '03 Marauder with a punctured hose. I've highlighted the hose in the provided picture. What am I looking at?

PCV breather hose, vents combustion blowby (gases that push past the piston rings into the crankcase) into the intake to be re-burned. Should be a dime a dozen.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

PCV.
E;f,b

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

Fucknag posted:

PCV breather hose, vents combustion blowby (gases that push past the piston rings into the crankcase) into the intake to be re-burned. Should be a dime a dozen.

Thanks. It was sucking air into the engine and causing me no end of trouble before I figured out what was going on.

Edit/update: I've taped it up tightly and everything seems fine. According to a couple of Ford dealers in town, that hose for the Marauder is discontinued. Should I scour junkyards (if I'm not mistaken, an Aviator hose should fit)? Cut to fit?

Sunshine Mix fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 5, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Traded in my Scion xB. Bought a boat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, nice upgrade! Or downgrade, depending on who you talk to :v:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I can't explain it, but I have an irrational love for my $3500 cop car. It really is my favorite car that I have owned but I don't know why. If is probably the slowest, dosen't get great mpg, and is nothing fancy but I am finding that I am finding every excuse not to put it up on CL since the truck is on order. Now I'm telling myself that I will sell it when I get back from F1 in November.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Traded in my Scion xB. Bought a boat.

This owns, post more pictures. Wanna see that velour interior.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

This owns, post more pictures. Wanna see that velour interior.

Thank you, but it's got leather

2008 Mercury GM, 75k miles, everything works and looks awesome on it for $7k. Picked it up today.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
So instead of driving your cloth couch down the road, you can drive your fine leather couch, and smoke a pipe.

Nice car, price isn't bad either. Does this have that self leveling suspension or is it just standard coils in the rear?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pretty sure that if it has leather it should have air suspension in the rear. Nice find.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Please tell us the passenger dash still says

" :smugdog: ~ Ride Engineered ~ :smugdog: "

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Please tell us the passenger dash still says

" :smugdog: ~ Ride Engineered ~ :smugdog: "

no :smith:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
My '87 had that and it was really fun to point it out to passengers in a hammed-up Thurston Howell voice.

Whatever model year they stopped putting that on there is obviously one model year after the one I want to own again someday. :colbert:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Here, have more pictures

Also, what the heck is this lock for?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Isn't that the trunk release button?

E: I forgot how much fancier and different the Marquis interior is from the PI.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Isn't that the trunk release button?

Is it? I had the trunk open already when i was trying it out. I thought it might be a gas door lock or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's the trunk release. Kind of a nice feature to be able to lock it so nobody can get in the trunk even if they break into the car.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

Yeah it's the trunk release. Kind of a nice feature to be able to lock it so nobody can get in the trunk even if they break into the car.

Unless you pop it out of the bezel and hotwire it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Goober Peas posted:

Unless you pop it out of the bezel and hotwire it.
Or they get the owners manual out and it has the code for the door keypad, which can also open the trunk.