Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Speaking of Velstadt, in the cinematic before you fight him, does anyone know if he's hollow or not? I figure he HAS to be, but looking at his face there it honestly looks like he's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Gologle posted:

Speaking of Velstadt, in the cinematic before you fight him, does anyone know if he's hollow or not? I figure he HAS to be, but looking at his face there it honestly looks like he's not.

Velstadt is not hollow. His devotion to the king keeps him sane, and his dark-tainted soul helps stave off the curse.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, Velstadt's focused and mentally strong as hell. I love how his cutscene is just him simply noticing you and turning around - that's all that needs to be said.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can I ever get enough poise or whatever to take hits from those turtle guys, specifically the downward slam attack? On my shield I mean.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anything greater than a shortsword is impossible to poise through last I checked. They patched poise a bit so it might be a bit better now.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

He means stability, I'm not sure anything bar the stronger greatshields have enough to absorb a turtle smash and even then I'm not sure they can.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ok I mean it makes sense for there to be attacks that are impossible to take on your shield. Does poise not influence taking hits on your shield?

Like I've got a fully upgraded pursuers great shield and I get smushed if I feel like testing it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The buffed up alonne captains in the memory of the iron king might be the one time bleed is actually dangerous. One lightning stab does nearly half my health. Two will bleed me.

e: You can be invaded in here? Huh. Also holy gently caress Outcry's reach is insane.

e: You can roll through one of fire snake's pillars and none will hurt you, no matter what. A guy rolled through the first (well, last I guess) then walked through the rest to backstab me. That's stupid.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 3, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Ok I mean it makes sense for there to be attacks that are impossible to take on your shield. Does poise not influence taking hits on your shield?

Like I've got a fully upgraded pursuers great shield and I get smushed if I feel like testing it.

Some hits are unblockable, no amount of poise or stability will help, or at least not the amount that's attainable without cheating.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

lordfrikk posted:

Some hits are unblockable, no amount of poise or stability will help, or at least not the amount that's attainable without cheating.
Depends though. Some hits seem unblockable but can be blocked through some incredible combination of factors, like two-handing Havels at 99 Endurance. Not necessarily feasible, but some hits you can tank through. There are a handful that will outright drain all your stamina but if nothing else at 100 damage absorption they won't do any actual damage even if they break through your guard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Shield breaking always blocking damage is a huge change from DS1 and one thing that definitely makes everyday combat easier. Whenever I go back to DS1, I keep forgetting remainder damage still damages you if your block gets broken.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

FINALLY I CAN BE PRETTY

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There is absolutely no one who needs help with Raime. I guess Sir Alonne is where all the summoning's at?

e: Holy poo poo I didn't know he had the Obsidian Greatsword's AOE.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 3, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's a little bit more than the Obsidian GS' R2 :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nahxela posted:

It's a little bit more than the Obsidian GS' R2 :v:

Yeah, I'll say. Too bad the host didn't know he had it either. :v:

e: Wow, the handful of people who I've gotten to summon me are really bad against Raime.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 3, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, I'll say. Too bad the host didn't know he had it either. :v:

e: Wow, the handful of people who I've gotten to summon me are really bad against Raime.

I had trouble with Raime too, mainly because I got too reliant on my shield and kept running out of stamina during his comboes. So I said gently caress it, got rid of the shield, and just two-handed a large club and beat him to death while dodging all his bullshit.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
psa: Do Not Summon for Raime

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Also don't summon for Sir Alonne. Either you duel him one on one or you don't fight him at all.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Am I crazy or is Raime easier after he powers up? His attacks seem much more basic and easy to dodge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pwnstar posted:

Am I crazy or is Raime easier after he powers up? His attacks seem much more basic and easy to dodge.

When I'm not loving up the dodge on the giant horizontal sweep, yeah.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
He definitely has several attacks with huge recovery or vulnerability in them during his second phase.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Pwnstar posted:

I agree completely. When I finally beat him on NG++ I wore Velstadt's hat and he went right into SSJ mode and it worked like a charm. Previously I could get him into the SSJ range but I think the challenge comes from having to memorize and then execute two fairly different move sets and timing windows; I'd wind up under/over-anticipating something that looked like a tell from his other moves and I'd eat sword. If you come at him already in SSJ mode you're only having to memorize one set of moves and tells and etc.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm constantly loving up the giant horizontal sweep apparently. Sorry host. :shobon:

e: Oh I roll AT him. There we go.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 3, 2014

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

There is no way Velstadt beat Raime.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
raime got mad powers from a ghost

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

There is no way Velstadt beat Raime.

This is why I can't wait if someone finds out a mod to edit/spawn enemies and set their alignment like in DS1 because I wanna see that poo poo.

Vesdalt is a fuckin' chump compared to Raime!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE PENETRATOR posted:

raime got mad powers from a ghost

And spent a couple hundred years or something lifting weights while Velstadt sat in the crypt all century.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Raime was probably still leaning on his 70% physical block greatshield, and didn't have his spooky ghost wife's power yet. Unfortunately, 30% of Velstatd's physical attacks is still a ton.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

I found his first form much easier. In his first form you can avoid most of his small sword attacks just by strafing to your right in my experience.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Fereydun posted:

This is why I can't wait if someone finds out a mod to edit/spawn enemies and set their alignment like in DS1 because I wanna see that poo poo.

Vesdalt is a fuckin' chump compared to Raime!

There was already one and Raime destroyed Veldalt, but like people said Raime didn't get his god powers until after going to Iron Keep.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Tae posted:

There was already one and Raime destroyed Veldalt, but like people said Raime didn't get his god powers until after going to Iron Keep.

ay where da link at

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Y'all clearly haven't tried to use the chime hammer on Raime yet, because it tends to melt the chump.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaVq7MFV_vw

not me

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Is there a hidden bonfire before the first boss in the first dlc? It is getting tiring having to drop down all those levels and fight the rear end in a top hat knight enemies.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

keyframe posted:

Is there a hidden bonfire before the first boss in the first dlc? It is getting tiring having to drop down all those levels and fight the rear end in a top hat knight enemies.
There is! I forget exactly where but there's a false wall about 2/3 of the way down.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

keyframe posted:

Are you coming all the way from the first bonfire? Because if that's the one you're using, there's a bonfire behind a hidden door about 2/3rds of the way down. Coming from there, there are still two knights to fight/run past, but its much quicker.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Ah yea found it. You can just drop down from there without messing with any of the knights. That boss is kicking my rear end raw though.

For some reason I am not seeing ANY summons this playthrough %99 of the time. I am NG+ and my soul level is like 200, is that too high or low? Can really use some help with these bosses. :(

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Soul Level doesn't mean anything. Its your soul memory you should worry about.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I didn't even know wearing Velstadt's helm causes Raime to enter phase 2, that's awesome. It's like, this guy still recognizes the man who beat him hundreds of years ago and he's like "gently caress YOU VELSTADT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So where does it say Raime is Velstadt's brother?