Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Then what exactly do you think the M stands for in the deck archetype typified by playing metalworker?

The explanation I've found from looking it up online is that its called "MUD" because the original artifact frame is brown, the same say it used to be called "monobrown" on occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Monobrown is a cheap version of T$4KS. They aren't the same deck. Monobrown is a prison/control deck. MUD uses metalworker to crank out big threats. It came from a deck called 5/3 because it killed with juggernaut.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Then what exactly do you think the M stands for in the deck archetype typified by playing metalworker?

The only result using 'MUD metalworker name origin' indicates that it was originally called 'Mono Blue Disruption' which accelerated out tangle wires, Thorn effects, and Juggernauts off of workshops and metalworkers, with Windfall, Recall, Time Walk, and Timetwister as the only colored spells.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Monobrown is a cheap version of T$4KS. They aren't the same deck. Monobrown is a prison/control deck. MUD uses metalworker to crank out big threats. It came from a deck called 5/3 because it killed with juggernaut.

I'm not asking whether you think there's a different deck that's called "monobrown," I'm asking where you came up with "metalworker u dead" as the origin of that name, mostly because that doesn't sound very plausible. "Mono blue disruption" does, since it actually reflects what the deck does.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Is it just me or is Generator Servant terrible... You're basically giving up card advantage by playing it.

While cards are a very important resource in MtG, they are far from the only resource that matters.

quote:

Getting the tempo advantage that same turn like you do with ritual seems like a giant difference.

Rituals don't attack and block.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Lord Of Texas posted:

While cards are a very important resource in MtG, they are far from the only resource that matters.

Rituals don't attack and block.

Generator servant isn't nearly as good as a ritual.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The standard in playability isn't Dark Ritual.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Generator Servant lets you cast your poo poo two turns earlier, so it's basically two Time Walks

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

mcmagic posted:

This is the second time you've been wrong about a card being bad today. Maybe you should stop. :v:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If you ARE going to play Miracles, practice a poo poo ton. Players that don't play Miracles quickly end up in the doomed draw bracket. Or just timing out in the case of MTGO.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Alaan posted:

If you ARE going to play Miracles, practice a poo poo ton. Players that don't play Miracles quickly end up in the doomed draw bracket. Or just timing out in the case of MTGO.

To be fair, a lot of the miracles in the draw bracket in real tournaments is because the B/G/x decks think they have a chance and spend forever tanking on what to do when they are just gonna lose regardless of what they try. Amusingly enough, the Miracles mirror is usually one of the fastest rounds on the order of 15 minutes or so.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Generator Servant lets you cast your poo poo two turns earlier, so it's basically two Time Walks

Or, as I like to say, half a birds of paradise.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

JerryLee posted:

Since it grants haste, it's practically three, even.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Note that getting two creatures to get haste online required some creative tapping, as it will automatically assign all the mana to one guy. I'm not even sure it works, as every time I try to do it I tap incorrectly and lock myself into only casting one.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

From the Magic Show

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Zorak posted:

From the Magic Show

I have an Assemble the Legion setup that will love this.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Zorak posted:

From the Magic Show

Hm. On the one hand, two 3/4 flyers for 5 mana is good, and one of the gains you some nice life, but... this doesn't quite feel like a mythic to me. Maybe I've just been spoiled lately.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
It's a serviceable card, but I'm not seeing why it couldn't be a regular rare.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's not quite Broodmate Dragon, but Dragon was 3 colors and an extra mana. It's a pretty drat good card I think.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Hm. On the one hand, two 3/4 flyers for 5 mana is good, and one of the gains you some nice life, but... this doesn't quite feel like a mythic to me. Maybe I've just been spoiled lately.

Yeah, but its also a Broodmate Dragon that only costs white mana...

e: Beaten^^^

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

meanolmrcloud posted:

Note that getting two creatures to get haste online required some creative tapping, as it will automatically assign all the mana to one guy. I'm not even sure it works, as every time I try to do it I tap incorrectly and lock myself into only casting one.

Click the first creature you want to cast, tap your lands for all but one mana, click Generator Servant. Easy as that, you've cast the first creature and still have one mana from the Servant floating.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Rogue 7 posted:

It's a serviceable card, but I'm not seeing why it couldn't be a regular rare.

A 5 mana 6/8 with upsides is pretty drat good

It's an awful lot of power toughness in the air, and if you flicker it you can keep triggering that ETB easily

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Zorak posted:

A 5 mana 6/8 with upsides is pretty drat good

It's an awful lot of power toughness in the air, and if you flicker it you can keep triggering that ETB easily

Any kind of flickering is going to be super ugly in this format between this guy and morph creatures. Currently that's just Skybind. Will that be good enough? I have an Abzan deck that's willing to try!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

L0cke17 posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good card. It just doesn't seem Mythic to me; it's a variation on Broodmate Dragon which was a normal rare. I feel like a mythic really needs to try and make me stop and say 'wow', even if it's not particularly good. This isn't something every card can do, obviously, but this just feels kind of far off from that.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I won my store's 20-something person modern tournament last night with this. It was the first time I had actually played the deck.

I really like this deck. It's the first modern deck I've really enjoyed playing. It's more or less Reid Duke's version of something I had been wanting to make for a while. I never actually drew the Keranos, but it probably should have been the 3rd Shackles. They're just way too good not to have 3. Unfortunately, I sold my 3rd and 4th Shackles, so I'll have to get replacements. There were definitely a few times I would've loved to have Keranos out, though, in particular against Pod, so I'll probably keep one in the sideboard. The Glen Elandra Archmage out of the sideboard was also really good. I'll probably try to make room for a 2nd.

Nice job. I've been testing out similar decks (the one I'm trying now has more non-basics and doesn't run sideboard in the side so you can fit Scooze into the main) and I feel like it might just be a tier 1 deck.

L0cke17 posted:

It's a broodmate dragon if you've already got a creature out. One of the powerful things about Broodmate was how it filled the board after a wrath, and this guy doesn't do that. Still not bad by any means but the comparison isn't completely there.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good card. It just doesn't seem Mythic to me; it's a variation on Broodmate Dragon which was a normal rare. I feel like a mythic really needs to try and make me stop and say 'wow', even if it's not particularly good. This isn't something every card can do, obviously, but this just feels kind of far off from that.

It probably got pushed there because of the limited environment. I imagine that this will be difficult to kill, and a couple swings with it will put you way ahead even in a stalled board state in limited. At rare it probably just was too good.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Mythic didn't exist when broodmate came out.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Alaan posted:

Yes it did. In fact mythic started in the same block as broodmate. The shards block.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JerryLee posted:

You're ignoring the cost of the mana you're playing it with and the card slot it takes up in your deck. There is a reason the card has seen zero competitive play. It isn't good.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Alaan posted:

Incorrect, Shards had planeswalkers at mythic, as well as Empyrial Archangel as well as a few other things.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Alaan posted:

It most certanly did, considering it was the first set with Mythics.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

If a flying 6 power and 8 toughness for 5 mana isn't mythic what the hell is? This card is great.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Whoops..I swore mythic was a later shards set

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I think this fails the flavour test for mythics. I think this will be a 'myth' not a 'hit' when CFB do their little segment on thie set.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

That's like the least "mythic" Mythic I've seen. I mean, even unplayable jank like Reap Intellect did something theoretically cool.

So far we have an unplayable flavor artifact, 4 Khans of varying use that have strict on-color requirements, a copy-bird and 2 good but not world-beating walkers. Oh, and Temurchord. So far I'm not terribly impressed (since its going to be real hard to play the Khans because of the color restrictions) and I'm disappointed there's apparently a second cycle of clan-word Mythics since it seems a little clunky to just tack those keywords onto other cards.

Obviously this is a very good, playable card.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 3, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Don't people get that any card that makes multiple flying creatures is very good by now?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Don't people get that any card that makes multiple flying creatures is very good by now?

Lingering Souls would've been a bad mythic too.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Yeah scion saw tons of play.

Also would have made an awful mythic. Card quality isn't what people are bemoaning here.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Hour of Need is looking mighty spicy post rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I definitely think it's very good. It just doesn't feel mythic. Broodmate dragon feels more mythic just because it's a dragon.

• Locked thread