Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

The 90s Iron Man and FF4 were HUGE improvements. Possibly some of the biggest improvements any show has ever had between seasons, not just among comic book superhero cartoons. Like Jericho level. Of course this is because the first seasons are really really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgHWMSqJpBM

Compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O6d-6gehwU

The real improvement is the mullet. That intro is basically infinitely better because Tony Stark has a mullet and is smelting an iron man suit because you see he is Iron Man (as stated in the song over and over)

It still don't hold a candle to the best intro though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyQpEoMFF3w

I seriously think that the old Hulk series' intro is on par with the Batman animated series intro of tone-establishing perfection.

The heartbeat as the drumline? That's tight as heck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Get used to this ugly horseshit, we're reaching the point where ugly cheap CG is more affordable than cheap flash animated 2D cartoons.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lurdiak posted:

Get used to this ugly horseshit, we're reaching the point where ugly cheap CG is more affordable than cheap flash animated 2D cartoons.
Check out THE MOUTH MOVEMENTS :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0ogZByf5qo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That doesn't look nearly as bad as Spider-Man, but good god try importing your lip synching from a newer game than Half-Life 1.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

That doesn't look nearly as bad as Spider-Man, but good god try importing your lip synching from a newer game than Half-Life 1.

There is no way HL1 was that bad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

There is no way HL1 was that bad.

Yeah that's more like Deus Ex.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, like, two frames of animation for mouth movements.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jilArE-ZuxE

Sure, the animation is still crappy, but I appreciate that the animations for video game Spidey are straight from the Marvel Vs. Capcom series.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

hiddenriverninja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jilArE-ZuxE

Sure, the animation is still crappy, but I appreciate that the animations for video game Spidey are straight from the Marvel Vs. Capcom series.

A game series Marvel decided to smother in its sleep despite it being one of the most popular fight games around at the time, at least competitively.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ToastyPotato posted:

A game series Marvel decided to smother in its sleep despite it being one of the most popular fight games around at the time, at least competitively.

Seriously what is the logic behind that decision? MvC is probably the second most popular fighting game series after Street Fighter

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well they obviously did something worthwhile with the license after they took it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIdSQhy_HWU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Being competitively popular doesn't translate to cash in Disney's pocket. Selling a really bad cell phone game to about 100 thousand people does.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Being competitively popular doesn't translate to cash in Disney's pocket. Selling a really bad cell phone game to about 100 thousand people does.

Considering that I don't remember them really marketing MVC at all, I would say that they didn't really try to sell it very hard. Also, Capcom could have easily made a mobile game for them, instead of passing it off to some other lesser capable company.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
MvC3 actually made quite a bit of money, who knows why Disney decided to shut it down though.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
No Megaman, no buys.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

MvC3 actually made quite a bit of money, who knows why Disney decided to shut it down though.

That's the thing, it sold well enough, even though there was no massive marketing campaign or "synergy" with the Marvel brand in general, and this was all after Disney bought Marvel and the MCU was already under way. Disney just flat out let MVC die for no reason. It was still the second biggest game at EVO this year as well.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Where is my game of Gizmoduck punking the hell out of Iron Man, Disney?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ToastyPotato posted:

Disney just flat out let MVC die for no reason. It was still the second biggest game at EVO this year as well.
To be fair, given Capcom's ability to handle their properties, it probably would have withered away anyway.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm completely out of the loop on all this--are we basically just saying there will be be no future MvC games? What do you mean by shutting down MvC3?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 4, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one has any clue; Disney/Marvel took down all digital availability to all of them except MvC Origins. I imagine Disney/Marvel aren't dumb enough to let such a cash cow get away from them, but considering Capcom apparently HAD to push out a new edition of MvC3 literally 9 months after the original release, something says that someone is insane at the Mouse's House.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 4, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

redbackground posted:

I'm completely out of the loop on all this--are we basically just saying there will be be no future MvC games?

It isn't impossible for them to come back like they did for 3 after they dropped them for EA after MVC2, but for now they even forced Capcom to remove the older games off of the digital stores, as well as the DLC for MVC3.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Both Capcom and Activision lost the rights to use Marvel's characters in video games. The only reason ASM 2's game launched as planned is because Sony is letting Activision and Beenox use the Spider-Man movie license to create a game that's based on the movie universe.

It's possible that there could be another MvC title, but right now, I'd say no, there won't be any new MvC games.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Where is my game of Gizmoduck punking the hell out of Iron Man, Disney?

Would watch those Armor Wars.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Beef Waifu posted:

No one has any clue; Disney/Marvel took down all digital availability to all of them except MvC Origins. I imagine Disney/Marvel aren't dumb enough to let such a cash cow get away from them, but considering Capcom apparently HAD to push out a new edition of MvC3 literally 9 months after the original release, something says that someone is insane at the Mouse's House.

I think I posted it even in this thread but Marvel has come out and officially said they'd rather put money and effort behind things they 100% own rather than things they don't. No point renewing licenses for console games when Disney themselves can just make Infinity.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

I think I posted it even in this thread but Marvel has come out and officially said they'd rather put money and effort behind things they 100% own rather than things they don't. No point renewing licenses for console games when Disney themselves can just make Infinity.

Not really seeing how that is THAT beneficial over licensing since with licensing Disney isn't spending their money on R&D, production, or marketing, while still bringing in money from sales, albeit not as big of a cut. They could still potentially save a few million per project. Licensing also allows them to have more products out at once at no additional cost to them since multiple studios could develop games at the same time.

They are incorrectly assuming more people will buy their in-house shovelware than something developed by a major gaming studio. Once their new gaming franchises are outted as being pretty bad, few are going to care enough to keep buying them, and in the end they won't make more money than they were making via licensing.

To put it another way, Disney, of all the companies in the world, is currently making the worst animated series for Marvel franchises in a long time. Now it is possible to scoot by there, since capturing the kid market with cartoons based on already very popular franchises isn't a big deal, even if the cartoons suck, but games are bit harder, since they are more expensive than the nothing a person pays to watch a TV show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Except they're farming the Star Wars license out to EA.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Look as long as they make more Lego Marvel games and maybe a new Ultimate Alliance I'll be happy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Look as long as they make more Lego Marvel games and maybe a new Ultimate Alliance I'll be happy.

Lego Marvel, maybe. Ultimate Alliance, unfortunately no. Disney would rather Marvel do another Facebook/mobile game like Avengers Alliance or Guardians of the Galaxy than pay Activision for that IP.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gaz-L posted:

Except they're farming the Star Wars license out to EA.

I said Marvel not Disney! (Though I would presume that once the EA deal runs out that will stop too).

achillesforever6 posted:

Well there'll never be another Alliance game and I'm sure Infinity will take over a need for them to do Lego Marvel...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ToastyPotato posted:

Not really seeing how that is THAT beneficial over licensing since with licensing Disney isn't spending their money on R&D, production, or marketing, while still bringing in money from sales, albeit not as big of a cut. They could still potentially save a few million per project. Licensing also allows them to have more products out at once at no additional cost to them since multiple studios could develop games at the same time.

They are incorrectly assuming more people will buy their in-house shovelware than something developed by a major gaming studio. Once their new gaming franchises are outted as being pretty bad, few are going to care enough to keep buying them, and in the end they won't make more money than they were making via licensing.

To put it another way, Disney, of all the companies in the world, is currently making the worst animated series for Marvel franchises in a long time. Now it is possible to scoot by there, since capturing the kid market with cartoons based on already very popular franchises isn't a big deal, even if the cartoons suck, but games are bit harder, since they are more expensive than the nothing a person pays to watch a TV show.

'Controlling 100% of your IP for maximal revenue' probably looks awesome on a power point presentation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I said Marvel not Disney! (Though I would presume that once the EA deal runs out that will stop too).

I doubt it, Disney are the ones that shut down Lucasarts as a separate studio and made the EA deal.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been rewatching B:TAS lately, and I fogot how many of the best episodes in the series are post-redesign (i.e., The New Adventures). Over the Edge, Growing Pains, Legends of the Dark Knight, and Mad Love are all loving phenomonal. (And after comparison, I really prefer Tara Strong Batgirl over Melissa Gilbert.)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah people like to just poo poo on the Riddler and Catwoman designs (rightfully so) but forget that while the animation took a nosedive the writing was as sharp as ever, and in many ways was the first truly codified version of the DCAU that'd go on for the next 8 years through JLU.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah people like to just poo poo on the Riddler and Catwoman designs (rightfully so) but forget that while the animation took a nosedive the writing was as sharp as ever, and in many ways was the first truly codified version of the DCAU that'd go on for the next 8 years through JLU.

I will poo poo on that Catwoman design at any opportunity, because I legitimately believe the original TAS design is the best Catwoman costume that she'd ever had until that point. (The modern Darwyn Cooke one is better, but that came after) The clear use of the design elements to draw a visual parallel to Batman- They have the same colour scheme, she has a utility belt but with an oval design. Even the idea of her cat wrapping around her shoulders giving the impression of a stole or big fur collar to play into her more integrated socialite persona... God it's awesome. And the redesign makes her look like an angsty 10 year old who got into her mommy's pajamas and her goth big sister's make-up.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Specking of Catwoman, when did she drop the long Blonde hair for short black?

It's just really jarring going from Blond Bombshell high class Selina to the new punky redesign.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't think she was ever blonde in the comics. Her very first appearance (the infamous "quiet or Papa spank" issue, as I recall) has her with black hair. And she never looked quite right in TAS with the blonde hair anyway. Something about the character design or colour choices made it feel like she had a really obvious dye-job.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I always assumed she had a wig on in the animated series. It's not like she could fit all that hair inside her costume without getting lumpy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The animation quality technically jumps up after the redesign. Sure it lacks the signature style of the earlier series, but the more cartoony look meant that the animation could be more fluid than it was when the characters were more detailed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

The animation quality technically jumps up after the redesign.

Eh, not really. It's certainly more consistent, likely because it's farmed out to a far smaller number of overseas studios, but there's absolutely nothing as well animated as the better season 1 episodes in New Adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, not really. It's certainly more consistent, likely because it's farmed out to a far smaller number of overseas studios, but there's absolutely nothing as well animated as the better season 1 episodes in New Adventures.
Nothing beats that one Clayface transformation sequence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWBvRmP1bc

• Locked thread