Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A Melted Tarp posted:

It's nice that they threw 30 years of ergonomics research directly in the toilet and went with a scroll wheel and LCD panel.

Not to mention the buttons they did decide to keep are going to be virtually impossible to use with gloves on.

Unless of course you actually do want to press three buttons at once.

Good luck with those tiny knobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Countach still looks awesome and futuristic.
Beaten, but I agree and was just about to mention it. The interior doesn't really matter since that's not what people liked about them when they were new either. I'd drive one in a heartbeat.

As for having fun w/ non-sports cars... In high school I drove an '82 Mercury Grand Marquis. The thing was a boat but it had a 302 V8, aluminum wheels, and a glasspack muffler. (And my 15" sub in the trunk) Horrible car stuff? Maybe, but it was fun to drive.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

davebo posted:

The place where all those old but futuristic cars fall apart is the interior.

Not all of them!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

They did a pretty good job 50 years ago when no one gave a poo poo about aerodynamics. :v:

Eh, there were plenty of aerodynamic cars 50 years ago. Lotuses, Ferraris, Jaguars, etc. Maybe not as perfectly optimized as something modern with a Kamm back and air dams and vortex generators and all that, but I bet an E-type still has a better Cd than a modern Corolla or whatever.

No, the main thing that's killed elegant cars I think is the need to have three inches of airbags and sound dampening behind every piece of sheet metal, and pedestrian impact standards that have eliminated all pointy bits and sharp edges.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sagebrush posted:

I bet an E-type still has a better Cd than a modern Corolla or whatever.

Pretty sure that isn't the case.

First Google results say
- E Type = .40
- E170 Corolla sedan = .28

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
VW Type 1: .49. VW Type 2 (van, first gen): .44.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

A Melted Tarp posted:

In any Japanese sedan from the 90s to today, you can operate every single function without taking your eyes off the street. Even the fiancee's Prius is usable without looking at the display. Good job, BMW.

But, it has voice control. :mrgw:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Door Frame posted:

If only it were the size of a fiat, it would be acceptable as a cool, futuristic novelty vehicle, but as is, it's a $50k eyesore

I actually like that quite a bit for once (it's the European version, right?)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kastein posted:

It's more fun to drive a normal car at it's limits than a supercar because it means 10, 15, MAYBE 20 over the limit, a nasty fine but no risk of losing your license or going to jail.

It's the same reason racing in the wet is the most fun, driving-wise. The limits are much more accessible.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

CharlesM posted:

But, it has voice control. :mrgw:

It usually takes Siri repeated cajoling to do my bidding. I can't wait to yell at my car like a crazy person to get the defogger on or open the gas flap.

aa35199
Sep 1, 2014

dubzee posted:

Not all of them!

that brings me back

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A Melted Tarp posted:

It's nice that they threw 30 years of ergonomics research directly in the toilet and went with a scroll wheel and LCD panel.

Not really sure this is a valid complaint...

Instead of having to jump around pressing buttons, you do everything with the wheel. Its like the ultimate in ergonomics, less movement!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Individual button positions can be learned through muscle memory and later accessed by feel without taking your eyes off the road.

An interface using a general-purpose scroll wheel and screen-based soft keys always requires some visual attention to operate, because you have no other way of knowing what mode it's in and what a given motion is going to produce.

Why do you think airliners still stick individual physical toggle switches all over everything? Surely the designers had the money and the expertise to put everything into a nice screen-based menu-driven system, right?

"Ergonomics" just means "the study of work," i.e. the study of how people do things. Good ergonomics means you've optimized the way someone performs a task, taking into account the full context of the person and the environment. It's not necessarily going to be the prettiest or most hardware-efficient way (though those often enter into it), but it should be the most reliable and easiest to perform under the widest range of conditions.

e: if your post was sarcastic well i dun got trolled good what now tell you don'ch

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 3, 2014

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Except airliners have the ability to fill their entire cockpit with switches, including behind, overhead, and even beside the driver(s), cars need to located everything in-front and within arms reach

I've used the mercedes, lexus, and audi version of the scroll wheel, and after a few hours of use you can easily 'flick' to what you want without even looking at the screen, the same muscle memory that you'd have to use to push 2 buttons, can be done with 1 turn and press of the wheel

If we were talking about something which is one step further (the touch screen on the tesla), then I'd have to agree, all your attention is centered down on that screen, and you need to PUSH to do anything. Which is a problem because all the functions are located in that one screen. Driving one for a day, I estimate 30% of the driving time was spent looking at the screen.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sappo569 posted:

Except airliners have the ability to fill their entire cockpit with switches, including behind, overhead, and even beside the driver(s), cars need to located everything in-front and within arms reach

Careful, you're going to bring out the Citroen owners

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Sure, but half of those switches are only used once or twice in the flight and then ignored. Could easily be put into software. They don't do that, instead spreading them out all over the cockpit, because it lets the pilots know with a single glance (or feel, if need be) what state the switch is in. In an emergency, that's critical.

Or to take another example from aircraft, look at a combat jet's HOTAS system.

Notice how every single button and switch has a different shape from all of the others? They do that so that a fighter pilot in combat can immediately know what control he's pressing without looking. That is proper ergonomic design for a situation where you want to maximize the operator's attention on the task.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

aa35199 posted:

that brings me back

Ha, we would tell my sister that A was for accelerate and B was for 'burn rubber'. Despite being older than me she fell for it every time.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

enojy posted:

I actually like that quite a bit for once (it's the European version, right?)

I believe so, the type R is just the euro version of the SI, right?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Door Frame posted:

I believe so, the type R is just the euro version of the SI, right?

The hatch is quite a different car to the coupe/sedan

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:stonk:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That gif has legit given me a nightmare

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6hqMnsLFY

They were all wearing gopros so you can see it from many angles

Luckily they all survived

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sappo569 posted:

Driving one for a day, I estimate 30% of the driving time was spent looking at the screen.

Let's not ignore this. You should never be behind the wheel again.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

freelop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p6hqMnsLFY

They were all wearing gopros so you can see it from many angles

Luckily they all survived

I wonder if prior to the accident anybody made the mistake of making the classic joke: "why are we jumping out of a perfectly good airplane?"

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I want to know what is on that screen that could even possibly necessitate spending that much time looking at it and adjusting the things it controls. The speedometer? Everything that's normally on a turn signal stalk including the turn signal?

Is the UI just that bad that it takes 20 minutes out of an hour drive to change a radio station and turn off the defrosters?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But was the pilot wearing a parachute :ohdear:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there anything more scary than watching a plane spiral away with only one wing? :stare:

The plane that kept both its wings managed to land safely, had some wing and propeller damage.

FAA said the cause of the accident was "unknown." Uh, planes got close and ran into each other. Seems kind of obvious guys.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Slavvy posted:

But was the pilot wearing a parachute :ohdear:

The plane was wearing a parachute. The other one landed normally.

Edit: Apparently I'm thinking of a different incident. In this one, yes, the pilot had a chute and managed to get out.

Theris fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 3, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

xzzy posted:

Is there anything more scary than watching a plane spiral away with only one wing? :stare:

The plane that kept both its wings managed to land safely, had some wing and propeller damage.

FAA said the cause of the accident was "unknown." Uh, planes got close and ran into each other. Seems kind of obvious guys.

Nah, that's the accident itself. The FAA couldn't figure out why the planes ran into each other.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

I think you're being sarcastic but NTSB is who investigates the accidents and they probably want to know why they got close.

That still is amazingly ball-curling to see the plane falling away without a wing even though I saw it when it first came out.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I thought I read that there's a rule FAA or otherwise that pilots of planes that are doing jumps have to wear a chute.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Someone post that Israeli F-15 that made it home on one wing.

VVVV: You actually though this was a serious request for someone to post it, rather than mentioning something most people have seen before in a humorous manner, didn't you? Jesus Christ.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 3, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

First result: http://www.military.com/video/military-aircraft-operations/crash-landings/f-15-one-wing-miracle-landing/660534011001/

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 3, 2014

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

@1:40 The plane you saw with only one wing is seen having the remaining wing ripped off. It just kind of spears down out of view :psyduck:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

xzzy posted:

I'm gonna go with 'still being on that plane'

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

InitialDave posted:

VVVV: You actually though this was a serious request for someone to post it, rather than mentioning something most people have seen before in a humorous manner, didn't you? Jesus Christ.

I think you need to chill out, man.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

davebo posted:

The place where all those old but futuristic cars fall apart is the interior.

I wonder if the i8 will look so retro in 30 years.

It's definitely gonna look retro, this poo poo is all gonna look like a prop from a tom cruise scifi movie

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All the modern boondoggle cars look like props from demolition man to me :shrug:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

You'd probably be the one driving past the accident I have from looking at the screen, saying "Look at this moran!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nigga crab pollock posted:

It's definitely gonna look retro, this poo poo is all gonna look like a prop from a tom cruise scifi movie

Most definitely, that's just the way of things. What I want to know is, what the hell are car interiors gonna look like in 30 years to make the i8 seem crude and retro? Like that archaic infotainment center doesn't even come with an optional neuro-link what am I supposed to do just give it voice commands like a caveman?