Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

I, lovestick, do oath for this month 30 Space Marines in 28mm scale by Games Workshop.

These mandollies have been cut up and converted using bits from Games Workshop,Forge World,Anvil Industries,Puppetswar, Back2Base ix, and Maxmini. Their original kit can be seen here but 20 of them were ebay rescues and leftovers from my 3rd edition boxed set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Slimnoid posted:

pics and words

Nice Slimnoid! Zombie bowling league!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Legion of Everblight Strider Deathstalker solo from from the Privateer Press Hordes line for the month of September.

I plan to fulfill the jurnal by cutting the Deathstalker's sword arm off at the elbow and reattaching it such that the Deathstalker is holding it sideways (normally the sword arm is part of the body piece, see http://store.privateerpress.com/striderdeathstalkerbody.aspx ).

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Oath complete!

Journal is the NMM hair spike.

I forgot to mention themed group

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I forgot to mention themed group

Forgot to tag my oath with Themed Group as well but don't want to go back and edit the time stamp.

Germ
May 7, 2013

:vomarine: GERM"S REALLY LATE (sorry about that!) JULY JUDGMENT! :vomarine:

Godsdamn, Oath Thread, you're looking fine! Lots of really great models to choose from in July!

3rd Place (1 point): Android – Ahh… the most feared spell in all of the Olde World: Gorchop’s Magnificent Dickpunch. Great conversion, clean, well-executed painting. Nice touches of OSL. Mostly I love it because I can imagine any miscast being due to his mates giving him a slight shove forward while casting. Please tell me you're going to use that (now handless) Hulk Hogan for something else awesome!

2nd Place (2 points): BirdieBedtime – What a wonderful piece! This is exactly what GW should have been thinking when they made this model. The touches of OSL are nice, the paint is great, but the fact that this just exudes menace is what pushed it over the top for me. You’ve just pushed anyone who has ever thought “Chaos Squats” (and who hasn’t!) one step closer to making it a reality.

1st Place (3 points): Laika the Space Dog – It was a horrible mistake for that guy servicing the teleporter, but a marvelous set of circumstances for us. The diorama is characterful and fun. The colors are delightful. The painting and the source lighting are top-notch. A wonderful riot of colors and details that brings up fond memories of GW’s sordid past.

Journal Bonus Point (1 point): Signal – I’m not sure if I want to praise it or eat it or marry it, but this has to be the most genius approach to this particular Journal that I’ve seen. An incredible idea with great execution.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Games Workshop Thousand Sons Space Marine

He has a backpack made from the parts of two different ones spliced together. I started with these two models of pack:

The top vent assemblies from the loyalist pack on the right were sliced off and put on the Khorne Berserker pack on the left, resulting in this:

I cleaned it up a bit more before putting it on the model and priming it

This will be my Jurnal, obviously, so let me know if it's not going to pass muster.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pash posted:

I, Pash, Oath for the month of September 10 Privateer Press Warders, and one Converted Wild Rider made from GW Dryad bits, Corsair Bits, and Spear Elf bits.

Slimnoid posted:

I, Slimnoid, Oath the following models for September: 1 Ork Mek on a bike (28mm, Games Workshop); Ian, Crusader Mage and Familiar (28mm, Reaper); 24 Ghouls and Orge unit filler (28mm, Mantic Games and Games Workshop); and 1 Necromancer (28mm, Mantic Games)

lovestick posted:

I, lovestick, do oath for this month 30 Space Marines in 28mm scale by Games Workshop.
You're good, but in future please spread out the models if you can so they can be counted up easily :)

Pyrolocutus posted:

I, Pyrolocutus, oath one Legion of Everblight Strider Deathstalker solo from from the Privateer Press Hordes line for the month of September.

JerryLee posted:

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Games Workshop Thousand Sons Space Marine

Oaths Accepted!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I, Electric Hobo, oath to paint 1 "Hans" walker. For Dust Tactics by FFG.
It's zenithal primed.

I'm going for this month's journal with this guy. The legs and the head have been repositioned.

Here's the default pose taken from the unit card.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 2, 2014

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
For September, I, Grey Hunter, oath 11 Deadzone Mercenaries

Recon Unit N32-19 (with spy drone as a separate model)
Doctor Simmonds
Wrath
Nastanza, The Twilight Huntress
Chovar Psychic
Blane
Some random Dreadball MVP
The Survivor
Freya
Oberon

All 28mm by Mantic Games.

Its going to be weird painting something this big after months of 6mm/10mm

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Electric Hobo posted:

I, Electric Hobo, oath to paint 1 "Hans" walker. For Dust Tactics by FFG.
It's zenithal primed.

Grey Hunter posted:

Oaths Accepted!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Oath Failed

Finding out you need urgent surgery will do that to you. Wasn't able to sit at my desk in a way that facilitated painting.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

koreban posted:

Oath Failed

Finding out you need urgent surgery will do that to you. Wasn't able to sit at my desk in a way that facilitated painting.

Woof, best wishes to you. I'm a little annoyed at myself for sitting on my butt last month, it's always good to get some perspective on things.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Weirdo posted:

Woof, best wishes to you. I'm a little annoyed at myself for sitting on my butt last month, it's always good to get some perspective on things.

I was very blah about painting for the two weeks preceding my surgery. The recovery just sealed the "welp, I'm not going to get to these this month" that I had been feeling.

The worst part is that they're the best work I've done so far. I was actually excited (and I will be) when I can get around to posting them.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I oath Jaga Jaga, Helga, 3 Great Bears, and 2 Kayazy Assassins for September
These are Privateer Press.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

koreban posted:

I was very blah about painting for the two weeks preceding my surgery. The recovery just sealed the "welp, I'm not going to get to these this month" that I had been feeling.

The worst part is that they're the best work I've done so far. I was actually excited (and I will be) when I can get around to posting them.

That sucks man! You can always Save Da Whales, I'm sure we'd all like to see what you've done!

Red Shoe posted:

I oath Jaga Jaga, Helga, 3 Great Bears, and 2 Kayazy Assassins for September
These are Privateer Press.

And so it begins... :)

Oath Accepted!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Grey Hunter posted:

Recon Unit N32-19 (with spy drone as a separate model)
Doctor Simmonds
Wrath
Nastanza, The Twilight Huntress
Chovar Psychic
Blane
Some random Dreadball MVP
The Survivor
Freya
Oberon

All 28mm by Mantic Games.

Its going to be weird painting something this big after months of 6mm/10mm

I forgot to mention my journal for this month is a totally-intentional-and-not-in-anyway-an-accident arm swap between Blane and Recon Unit N32-19.

Its not that I ended up with a huge bag of bits and not instructions, and just started sticking bits that fit together. No siree!
I'll post better images once they are painted.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I, NTRabbit, more sanely oath to paint for September
  • 4 Lyon class frigates and 4 Requin class corvettes for Dystopian Wars by Spartan (1:1200)
  • 1 Plague Stage 3A 'Boomstick' and 1 Plague Mortar team (two crew plus mortar) for Deadzone by Mantic (28mm)
  • 2 Eldar "Guardian crew chief" conversions for 40k by GW (28mm)
  • 4 objective markers by Underground Lasers (28mm)

The journal is going to be the Eldar, as you can see here

I have two standard Guardian torsos and legs, but I'll be arming them with weapons from the Dire Avenger sprue, and their heads are from the War Walker sprue, shown for comparison are a regular Guardian weapon (top) and a regular unhelmeted Guardian head (right). The pistol going in the right arm has been cut to fit, and the fingers on the left arm cut and bent to more closley grip the other pistol. Likewise the left arm that will hold the diresword, paired with the avenger shuriken catapult. These guys are unbased, and going in the back of wave serpents as a tiny diorama.

Going for themed group for the ships and I rolled a 6! for the markers as well. The markers are unprimed MDF with red acrylic inserts.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I, Kerzoro, Oath to paint for September a modified Warhammer Giant

They normally look like this:

This is a project I started a long time ago, stored away, and found recently. I pretty much wanted to dress him up like a Warcraft giant from Wrath of the Lich King :v:

I didn't SWAP anything out, although its left arm is in a lower position than normal (it, uh, fell off when I covered it up in those fake clothes). And I did add a lot of sword and shield bits as part of its belt and other things.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Kerzoro posted:

I, Kerzoro, Oath to paint for September a modified Warhammer Giant

Well the cage thing looks swapped to me, so that counts! Accepted!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

I am invisible :ohdear:

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Ah, the kit actually comes with several options for arms! I just thought I should point that out.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I Oath for Sept, this heavily converted Mad Doc on Fix-it Cycle!

Been sitting around for awhile so time to get him finished up. Deffkopta body and about a dozen kit parts, plasticard n' green stuff.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

:parrot:JUDGEMENT OF JULY:parrot:
Yep, sorry it took me ages...

1 Point - thespaceinvader

These two kept catching my eye as I was making my decisions, so I'm happy I get to say how much I like them now! Though each individual shot is framed fairly small in the admittedly convenient collage, I'm certain these are really great paint jobs. They evoke completely different landscapes and lighting conditions surrounding them. The green cloak of the ranger is beautiful, and I feel could actually provide decent camouflage in a sun-dappled forest. The lantern fella suggests a bleak and dreary dusk to me, in which the light of the lantern seems surprisingly bright to gloom-accustomed eyes. I especially like the shot from behind, it shows off the spectrum of values nicely.

2 Points - Grey Hunter

These fellas really stand out to me, they look so handsome in their splendid uniforms. Everything is crisp and well-defined, quite a feat at such a tiny scale. The red and blue look great together, sharing dominance of the scheme tactfully. The gold and yellow is maybe my favorite part, it creates super tasty ornamental glints even at a fair distance. The decorative borders on the flags are wonderful, they are fine enough to really sell the scale well. Same goes for the grass, actually, it looks natural next to those tiny chaps.

3 Points - Laika The Space Dog

This tells such a nice tale. Well, probably a violent and gore-spraying one, actually. You have several color schemes going on in the same piece, in addition to two different lighting effects from three different directions (!), but you bring it together well with an eye-catching, comic-book style. I can imagine the rest of the lab around them with just what you've given us here. I enjoy how the scheme works in ascending rings; first the oranges around the base and overalls, then the purple of the apparatus, then the blue glow and hat, then the various earth tones of the minotaur. The greens on either side frame the ideal viewing angle, and the lightly colored shirt and skin of our doomed hero provide a focus of brightness which contrasts with the duller but much more aggressive silhouette of his murderous new friend. Great work!

Bonus Jurnal Point - Slimnoid

All your characters this month are fantastic, it is true, but I do want to bring special attention to glowy molten goo going on here. You totally nailed the look; the bright, rich, hot yellow tapering out to warm grey. I am worried for these people showing off their moves right next to it. What if a little bit burped out and got in a pocket or unoccupied gun holster? Adventure safely, folks.

Monoliths fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 5, 2014

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I, Lord Hypnostache, oath one Firebelly and three converted Crypt Horrors. Said Horrors will be used as Chaos Spawns in 40k. All bits 28mm GW.

I'll post a comparison picture when I've painted them, but starting from left: The first one has had its head swapped, no actual cutting was required. Second one has had its arms swapped, I had to file down its shoulders to fit the new arms. The third one has had its hands chopped and replaced with lightning claws, as well as having its neck cut down in size to fit a new head.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, more sanely oath to paint for September
  • 4 Lyon class frigates and 4 Requin class corvettes for Dystopian Wars by Spartan (1:1200)
  • 1 Plague Stage 3A 'Boomstick' and 1 Plague Mortar team (two crew plus mortar) for Deadzone by Mantic (28mm)
  • 2 Eldar "Guardian crew chief" conversions for 40k by GW (28mm)
  • 4 objective markers by Underground Lasers (28mm)

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I Oath for Sept, this heavily converted Mad Doc on Fix-it Cycle!

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I, Lord Hypnostache, oath one Firebelly and three converted Crypt Horrors. Said Horrors will be used as Chaos Spawns in 40k. All bits 28mm GW.
Oaths Accepted!

Monoliths posted:

2 Points - Germ
Actually...Judges aren't eligible for points, so can you please have a look at who you'd like to promote into 3rd place?

Kerzoro posted:

Ah, the kit actually comes with several options for arms! I just thought I should point that out.
Ah - well. I'll still allow it, I suppose the stuff on its belt counts?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I, moths, oath the following for September:

1x Exulon Thexus
1x Cephylax Mind Slaver
3x Cephylax Overlords

All are 28mm, Privateer Press Warmachine.

and
1x Subduer Monstrosity

Which combines parts from a Subduer with this prepainted Drillcon-Vorionnik (Privateer Press, Monsterpocalypse):

stock photo

I still have to do some conversion work, but I'll post an image of it after I've primed over the original colors.

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Actually...Judges aren't eligible for points, so can you please have a look at who you'd like to promote into 3rd place?

Yep, no points for me! With that said, your kind words are very much appreciated! I just finished up painting the last bit for that army (a land raider that got hit by a vortex missile for a display board), and I'm very much looking forward to not painting that color scheme again for a very very long time.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Hah. Oh, my addled brain. I believe I have a candidate in mind, I'll edit the post above and make a new one as well when I get back from work! Think of it as drama and suspense!!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Okay, so, question. How essential is the CUT part of this Jurnal? I have a miniature I'm planning to give different arms to (because it is missing an arm!), but it was never assembled so I wouldn't have to be cutting parts, just gluing on different ones. Is that acceptable, or do I need to take something and actually alter pieces?

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I, Dagon, oath a not-space marine by Anvil Industries, and a Sniper Lady turned Rocket Lady by Reaper

original Sniper Lady:

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
For September, Galaspar oaths one Chaos Space Marine Hellbrute (28mm, GW)

It's a pretty heavy cut and swap job from the Dark Vengeance Hellbrute, as you can see from the GW stock example:

As well as hacking off the arms and adding resin replacements, he's has a head-swap and a brutal tentacle transplant (plus he's been covered in grisly trophies, because I plan to paint him as a Night Lord).

EDIT: A clear picture of the conversion:

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 4, 2014

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I, Gareth Golbulcoque, do oath a kabalite warrior, the black kraken, and 4 cogs from GW, and a speculo killer from corvus belli for the month of September.

Still working on my conversion.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

moths posted:

I, moths, oath the following for September:

Dagon posted:

I, Dagon, oath a not-space marine by Anvil Industries, and a Sniper Lady turned Rocket Lady by Reaper

Galaspar posted:

For September, Galaspar oaths one Chaos Space Marine Hellbrute (28mm, GW)
Well that's pretty much what I'd like to do with a Helbrute, thanks for showing me the way!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I, Gareth Golbulcoque, do oath a kabalite warrior, the black kraken, and 4 cogs from GW, and a speculo killer from corvus belli for the month of September.

Oaths Accepted! and Journals fine, where noted!

Esser-Z posted:

Okay, so, question. How essential is the CUT part of this Jurnal? I have a miniature I'm planning to give different arms to (because it is missing an arm!), but it was never assembled so I wouldn't have to be cutting parts, just gluing on different ones. Is that acceptable, or do I need to take something and actually alter pieces?

Think of the CUT part as metaphorical, as long as you swap something for something else it's good.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Where's that head from? Vampire Counts?

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Slimnoid posted:

Where's that head from? Vampire Counts?

Yes, I think it was from the "ghoul king on terrorgeist" model. Seemed to fit for a depraved, vampiric-looking Night Lord.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I, Under 15, Oath the following models:

3 GW Savage Orc Boar Riders
1 GW Boar That Does Not Look Like A Mouse
1 GW Converted Rat Ogre

The Rat Ogre is my Cut and Swap, he had his stabby thing replaced with a smashy thing, his tail cut off, and his head replaced with an orkier one.

More models to come, I hosed up priming today and I have to strip the others.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Monoliths posted:

Fixed, in the original post above!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

:siren: Oath! :siren:

Three Rail Crew, Mei-Feng, Kang, and Three Oiran from Wyrd's Malifaux. (All 28/30/32mm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Under 15 posted:

I, Under 15, Oath the following models:

3 GW Savage Orc Boar Riders
1 GW Boar That Does Not Look Like A Mouse
1 GW Converted Rat Ogre

Signal posted:

:siren: Oath! :siren:

Three Rail Crew, Mei-Feng, Kang, and Three Oiran from Wyrd's Malifaux. (All 28/30/32mm)

Oaths Accepted!

Monoliths posted:

Fixed, in the original post above!

Thanks, Judge!

• Locked thread